Fire Kills 27 At Mae Hong Son Refugee Camp

Tywais

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quite interesting to see the posters reaction (or lack thereoff) to this tragedy. Seem like we have adopted the Thai point of view on Burmese people= second or third class, not so important if they live or die. I could imagine the reaction, in the press and here on TV, if 62 "white" people had died in an inferno of fire.

The thread about the suggested songkran alcohol ban has got 3 times as many replies as this one.

Well I guess we all have different priorities!

Sometimes sadness is too profound for adequate words to come by....

Reality is alleged to have been a helicopter dropping an incendiary - reality of whose world is that?

One can just hope this is not true sad.png

I saw that in another paper. I can't believe someone would do that. But the report said there were traces of phosphorus at the burned out site.

Reality is alleged to have been a helicopter dropping an incendiary - reality of whose world is that?

One can just hope this is not true sad.png

I saw that in another paper. I can't believe someone would do that. But the report said there were traces of phosphorus at the burned out site.

I don't even want to think about that happening, but when I consider the Rohingya's seeking asylum are being towed out into open water, and having read a few weeks ago about a possibly large number of them having being 'sold' by immigration and police to someone and having to buy their freedom by way of their families raising money (a lot of money would have been paid to people-traffickers to get onto the boat), I think it just might be possible.

These people - Thai and Burmese as we can't jump to any conclusion about who did it (if anyone at all did it) are Buddhists. How could they do it?

I haven't seen the report yet, I'll google it and read it.

I still can't believe above everything else that this isn't a major news item. Nobody here seems to care. I can't find words to express what I'm feeling.

One can just hope this is not true :(

I don't even want to think about that happening, but when I consider the Rohingya's seeking asylum are being towed out into open water, and having read a few weeks ago about a possibly large number of them having being 'sold' by immigration and police to someone and having to buy their freedom by way of their families raising money (a lot of money would have been paid to people-traffickers to get onto the boat), I think it just might be possible.

These people - Thai and Burmese as we can't jump to any conclusion about who did it (if anyone at all did it) are Buddhists. How could they do it?

I haven't seen the report yet, I'll google it and read it.

I still can't believe above everything else that this isn't a major news item. Nobody here seems to care. I can't find words to express what I'm feeling.

Time to roll out the conspiracy theories?

The local police chief has been transferred....meaning that is a close as you ever get to being sacked....and now a national cover up?

If this is true it would mean that high ranking officials are mass murderers and the authorities are trying to cover up the affair. Both of which are the most appalling actions.

..... A helicopter??????

If a helicopter has been used then one has to ask who else has access to such a machine.

One must also question the speed that one man's kitchen was singled out as the source.

It is also fairly easy to anticipate the kind of obfuscation that is going to follow this incident, with the authorities coming up with one story/accusation after another.

One must also question the speed that one man's kitchen was singled out as the source.

That was my first thought when the news broke. I didn't want to start any theories about things I know nothing about, but if there is more to this than what was first apparent, it's not the first time, Thailand has been killing refugees before, in large numbers,

At least 250 people get burned, 40+ of them to death. It just doesn't make sense. I have been in these camps and my wife has been at this one. She thought right away that number of casualties was very suspicious. A shack is not a complicated building to exit, and there would have been tremendous noise from the people and fire.

At least 250 people get burned, 40+ of them to death. It just doesn't make sense. I have been in these camps and my wife has been at this one. She thought right away that number of casualties was very suspicious. A shack is not a complicated building to exit, and there would have been tremendous noise from the people and fire.

I thought the same thing. In the paper that Must Not Be Mentioned, it said numerous witnesses saw burning objects being thrown out of the helicopter.

If this true, then maybe the fire was started at multiple points thus leaving no escape. Will be interesting to see how this turns out. Human rights groups will be on this story like a duck on a june bug, so no hope for a fade away...

• Like 1

I thought the same thing. In the paper that Must Not Be Mentioned, it said numerous witnesses saw burning objects being thrown out of the helicopter.

If this true, then maybe the fire was started at multiple points thus leaving no escape. Will be interesting to see how this turns out. Human rights groups will be on this story like a duck on a june bug, so no hope for a fade away...

Has anyone asked the refugees how it started ??? If the fire started at one end of the camp and the wind was blowing over the camp I can imagine what a panic that would cause. I heard--only hear say that a hill fire was burning at the side that the camp got alight.

All I am hearing from GOV announcements, it started from someone cooking, These spokes persons are always in denial.

Tommorrow we will hear that DUST started it.

I just talked to my wife's cousin, who has spoken to people from the camp. They say there was a helicopter, and that the man who's cooking fire was said to have been the cause, actually had eaten at a different hut with his parents and was not cooking at home that night. They say whatever started the fire, it came through the roof.

This is second hand information mind you, but he is very close to the displaced Karens on both sides of the border, and he is inclined to believe what they say.

I just talked to my wife's cousin, who has spoken to people from the camp. They say there was a helicopter, and that the man who's cooking fire was said to have been the cause, actually had eaten at a different hut with his parents and was not cooking at home that night. They say whatever started the fire, it came through the roof.

This is second hand information mind you, but he is very close to the displaced Karens on both sides of the border, and he is inclined to believe what they say.

Were most of the deaths of patients at the camp hospital, as reported in the BKK Post?

Before you all get overly conspiratory, one report I read noted that a clinic was involved that had non-ambulatory patients. Also, in the camps I have visited there are always plenty of non-ambulatory or only partly ambulatory seniors, young children. and ill adults. Thus I can easily see how a conflagration in such an easily combustible environment could lead to a high fatality count. That being said, I am acquainted with one of the Karenni leaders on the Thai side of the border and, with others, have been trying to get more details.

• Like 1

Were most of the deaths of patients at the camp hospital, as reported in the BKK Post?

Yes there were deaths in the camp hospital, and in houses. He said a family of four was found huddled together, all dead.

Before you all get overly conspiratory, one report I read noted that a clinic was involved that had non-ambulatory patients. Also, in the camps I have visited there are always plenty of non-ambulatory or only partly ambulatory seniors, young children. and ill adults. Thus I can easily see how a conflagration in such an easily combustible environment could lead to a high fatality count. That being said, I am acquainted with one of the Karenni leaders on the Thai side of the border and, with others, have been trying to get more details.

....and the helicopter?

....and the helicopter?
psychological trauma?

rumors? hearsay?

....and the helicopter?
psychological trauma?

rumors? hearsay?

I think we are all aware that after an event there will be accusations and rumours flying everywhere - se my original post. However the "authorities" accusation seems to hold no more water - or rather LESS than the helicopter theory.

the act of attacking, burning and killing a refugee camp in these circumstances would rate as one of the most despicable acts this century..... a crime against humanity. If it is true there must be o cover up and people must be brought to justice.

Give that the event seems to have involved a helicopter it must include some pretty hi-ranking influential people.

Other paper today mentions about the helicopter throwing out fiery material. Amazing Thailand - always amazes you.

Other paper today mentions about the helicopter throwing out fiery material. Amazing Thailand - always amazes you.
In the land of bizarre stories, this one could head the all time list if proven true. Government official burning out refugee camps ?? Wow....

Life has proven to me all things are relative. So by comparison the government officials in the south of Thailand who were grabbing Burmese refugees and selling them as slaves, look downright kind by comparison.... :-(

There was definitely a helicopter......what it was doing and how high it was flying are matters of contention.......

as I understand it the local Chief of Police who was "moved to an inactive post" as a result of claimed lack of action maintains the helicopter story.

Edited by wilcopops