Two Walking British Tourists Killed By Crash In Koh Samui

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard the latest one was actually a young woman that was tragically killed on 31st outside Rocky's, not a young man - unless there has been another one.

There were also 3 killed in Choengman a few days ago. A Thai adult and 2 kids on a motorbike, wiped out by a bad Thai driver ... near to the gas station.

I had wanted new sealed roads for many years, now I think we might be better off with the old pot-holed ones as there are too many innocent people being killed by fast drivers.

RIP to all.

Yes indeed, the worse the roads are in residential areas, the better. It keeps the death rate down.

Where I live, there are many road humps built by the occupants to stop drivers speeding on the narrow roads where children are ( and ZERO pavements, so you have to walk in the street ).

Anyone know why Thais won't build pavements on their roads?

Reading this thread i find myself wondering what it will take before central government actually gets on the phone and orders the island to have our roads policed. Just how many more people will have to die innocently before these politicians make the decision to act because one things for sure...they must know how bad it is down here.

Just yesterday i was riding down the main road in bophut opposite Samui Palm Beach hotel when a guy behind the wheel of a beaten up pickup was coming towards me and just pulled out and forced me nearly onto the pavement. He clearly didn't give a t*ss as to my welfare. It was scary.

As the island gets busier and busier the cars and bikes will increase and the death toll will continue to rise. Very sad.

Judging by the number of people on the roads that pull out without indicating or even looking first, they don't care about their own welfare either.

large speed bumps all around the ring road would be a good thing especially on all approaches to any town or village, sick of seeing the large trucks hammering it around the island, Samui is to small to be in a rush anywhere

Edited by BusyBee123
  • Like 1

Speed Humps would be immensely beneficial on all the roads in Samui.

Thais don't care at all about the welfare of people on the roads, but they sure as hell do care about damaging their car.

You are absolutely right. They should be used all over the island. They would drastically reduce speeding but i doubt we will seem them

Speed Humps would be immensely beneficial on all the roads in Samui.

Thais don't care at all about the welfare of people on the roads, but they sure as hell do care about damaging their car.

You are absolutely right. They should be used all over the island. They would drastically reduce speeding but i doubt we will seem them

i am not sure about this but some house are built on roads so steep that even 4 wheel trucks have a problem getting up.

maybe speed bumps would help traction. the problem with speed is that people go very fast on the way down which is when people eith collide or skid off the road.

speed bumps on the ring road might be dangerous as need warning before a random bump appears or everyone could go flying. yes i agree in bult up areas where people should be slowing down anyway like at that corner junction in lamai by the temple. Hua thannon border with lamai

round by lamai market.

down the beach roads. there are some already round lamai beach road near the car park behind maccy dees

chong mon village and the dark corners around chaweng to big budda specially round the sharp corners where people speed off the road in the dark. people should already be driving slow at that point if they are not then they shall probably crash anyway

the cross road section on the ghost road or soi bon ghai.

everywhere else is yet for me to find. just a few suggested places but not on the faster bits of the roads as we do need some relative speed. need to drive at 80 kms art some points or there would be no point in driving

Reading this thread i find myself wondering what it will take before central government actually gets on the phone and orders the island to have our roads policed. Just how many more people will have to die innocently before these politicians make the decision to act because one things for sure...they must know how bad it is down here.

Just yesterday i was riding down the main road in bophut opposite Samui Palm Beach hotel when a guy behind the wheel of a beaten up pickup was coming towards me and just pulled out and forced me nearly onto the pavement. He clearly didn't give a t*ss as to my welfare. It was scary.

As the island gets busier and busier the cars and bikes will increase and the death toll will continue to rise. Very sad.

Judging by the number of people on the roads that pull out without indicating or even looking first, they don't care about their own welfare either.

Why would they care about their own welfare, that's what the Buddha statues in the car and blessings are for.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know what has happened to the driver of the pick up truck? I really hope he has not just has a slapped hand.

never seen a follow up to anything in the thai news ... most probably paid off the correct people

• 1 month later...

It was a tragic story. Two friends both pensioners from Rochdale in Manchester were mown down in March this year by a Thai driver on Koh Samui.

Derek Gent and Michael Holmes had known each other for 30 years. Derek was former head of Oldham Trading Standards Office. Michael was in sales. They were both killed in the wake of a crash between a Toyota and a truck which had been overtaking.

Witnesses were found and the truck driver Chamnan Choowaree was charged with causing death by dangerous driving and the file was sent for prosecution.

Witnesses have said that the truck driver over took a Toyota Corolla on a blind bend and had to pull in sharply, clipping the car and putting them both into a spin.

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2013/09/anger-and-frustration-over-deaths-of.html

Does anyone know what has happened to the driver of the pick up truck? I really hope he has not just has a slapped hand.

never seen a follow up to anything in the thai news ... most probably paid off the correct people

Now you have found some information are you still going to say he might have paid off the correct people.

What happen's in your country if you plead not guilty do you think you will go to court the next day, no it can take month's.

I assume the guy is out on bail as we would expect in any country so he can prepare his defense

Now you have found some information are you still going to say he might have paid off the correct people.

What happen's in your country if you plead not guilty do you think you will go to court the next day, no it can take month's.

I assume the guy is out on bail as we would expect in any country so he can prepare his defense

John, serious question here.....have you ever been to Koh Samui?

• Like 2

Only lived here for 20 or so years why? What has this to do with the Thai justice system?

Sorry, i didn't realize you lived here. I thought for some reason you had never been here before

No problem.

I feel for the family's loss, We see it time and again not just here but back home. I would hate to go to jail for killing someone with my car and as we all know it can just be one moment of lost concentration or someone pulling out or walking out from between parked car's.

RIP

....... I hate the way people drive here.

I've noticed a few things on my short stay here of 2 months, so far:

-drive way too fast

-over take cars on a solid yellow line and I find myself (on my scooter) having to play chicken with them. They don't care if you're on a bike, but of course, if you're in a car, they will get back in their lane, sometimes

-squeeze you between them and the left side parked car (I've seen Gaijin drivers do it as well)

-whole families on one bike, no helmets

-no helmets or shirts

-you're on the left side following a car (on my bike) and some kamikaze tries to pass on your right at that small space

between your front tire and the lead cars rear left bumper. Still cannot understand why they do that.

...........I can go on and on.............

Reminds me of how they drive in Sicily but at least there, the chaotic driving flowed with purpose.

Here, just chaos, pure and simple.

Edited by angiud
Profanity removed

Was just about to ask the same question !

• Like 1

John,

Have you been following the Red Bull story? Surely you can't be an apologist for the Thai judicial system with these sort of issues?

Boater made a valid point. Money doesn't talk here, it shouts! What on earth sort of defense is going to be prepared, and why so long?? The guy drove like a maniac and killed two people. Why so long in preparing a defense?

Have you really stayed here since 1994 on a permanent basis? I think not.

John,

Have you been following the Red Bull story? Surely you can't be an apologist for the Thai judicial system with these sort of issues?

Boater made a valid point. Money doesn't talk here, it shouts! What on earth sort of defense is going to be prepared, and why so long?? The guy drove like a maniac and killed two people. Why so long in preparing a defense?

I hope I'm allowed to answer your question's.

1. yes i can read the report about the red bull story in the bkk post. The guy is sick in Singapore at the moment so what.

2.I have no issue with the Thai judicial system.

3. What valid point has Boater made this incident only happened 5 months ago do you want to hang the guy already.

4. Now you say the guy drove like a manic this is always the saying from people that were not there and even if were there the story will vary.

5. Is there a time line to prepare one's defense could be if so what is it.

6. As for being here since 1994 on permanent basis yes it was before that and have old copies of passport and work permit.

John,

I hope I'm allowed to answer your question's.

1. yes i can read the report about the red bull story in the bkk post. The guy is sick in Singapore at the moment so what.

2.I have no issue with the Thai judicial system.

3. What valid point has Boater made this incident only happened 5 months ago do you want to hang the guy already.

4. Now you say the guy drove like a manic this is always the saying from people that were not there and even if were there the story will vary.

5. Is there a time line to prepare one's defense could be if so what is it.

6. As for being here since 1994 on permanent basis yes it was before that and have old copies of passport and work permit.

"Only" happened five months ago?? Two people have been killed through an act of crass stupidity!

• Like 2

-you're on the left side following a car (on my bike) and some kamikaze tries to pass on your right at that small space

between your front tire and the lead cars rear left bumper. Still cannot understand why they do that.

Perhaps you are riding too close to the car in front of you.

KK, with your combative attitude, it's only a matter of time before you find that fateful bumper bar with your name on it, or worse.

• Like 1

KK, with your combative attitude, it's only a matter of time before you find that fateful bumper bar with your name on it, or worse.

Thailand is not the place to be following too close if you want to live.

It really scares me when one of those big double decker buses is driving right on my rear bumper, but then most things about driving in LOS terrify me.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

It can take up to 5 years for a case like this to be played out in court. Just because he hasn't been on trial yet doesn't mean he's paid off the police and escaped.

he could be doing both. just because you pay the police does not mean that you shall not go to jail. if you just that through money at the police they shall just say thank you and do nothing.

plus for most working class thais paying the police to delay the case is just as harmful as going to jail. You can really hurt a Thai by taking away there money as they have no welfare system no government help if they become pocketless.

this side of the world where nothing is free sometime to punish someone hard can be to take all their earnings away. in a sense that is taking their life and freedom. Here if you have no money and you get sick. you are in trouble. If you have no money for food then you are in trouble. if you have no money to pay solictors you are in trouble. They cannot go home. Both sides of the coin. basically they maybe able to avoid jail but they might have to work their arse off for nothing for the rest of their lives. unless they are from super rich families thats where the laws twist.

cannot understand when pulling out onto a busy road where you have to edge forward to be able to get out. people still seems to rarther drive into you than stop to let you go even if it means passing you at 2 kms per hour.

that roundabout in chaweng is a joke. people seems to not have a clue how to use it.

peopel stop half way round to let people go from the left. then people who dont give way to the left get beeped and abused.