British Pound Down The Sink

About 5 years ago the pound loss about 20% against the baht, the last month it has lost another 10%. That will be 1/3 loss for five years. The Thai baht has strenghten but this is more than other currencies

How are you british people with income in pound handling this? Leaving for home, find new places or just cope with it?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

coping with it...

For me is wait and see + hope...

​Sold Shares in 2004 and transferred to my account here....... sold about the same amount a few weeks ago, but if I transferred that day would be 2 million baht less then in 2004, so wait and see + hope..

I think it is time for a pinned thread about exchange rates, as there is one for British pension... would really give back space to other threads and questions...

The troika of things to get TVs British punters going

- Pensions

- Immigrants (not them living in Thailand, the smelly hoards back home)

- and now...the exchange rate.

How about a new forum called "Brit's Expat Pub"?

• Like 1

I think it is time for a pinned thread about exchange rates, as there is one for British pension... would really give back space to other threads and questions...

The troika of things to get TVs British punters going

- Pensions

- Immigrants (not them living in Thailand, the smelly hoards back home)

- and now...the exchange rate.

How about a new forum called "Brit's Expat Pub"?

there would be riots I think...

• Like 1

The op asks how are Brits coping with the poor GBP/THB rate, well personally I have stopped transferring money from UK to Thailand.

People quote that the rate has changed xx % from some previous date that appears to have been arbitrarily selected.

For info, below is a graph of GPB/THB exchange rates over the last 50 odd years. You can see that it ranges from 27 to 90 in that time.

post-150466-0-18188500-1364269407_thumb.

The op asks how are Brits coping with the poor GBP/THB rate, well personally I have stopped transferring money from UK to Thailand.

People quote that the rate has changed xx % from some previous date that appears to have been arbitrarily selected.

For info, below is a graph of GPB/THB exchange rates over the last 50 odd years. You can see that it ranges from 27 to 90 in that time.

Hmmm, interesting graph. So, your opinion is that we are back to normal...

Most currency movement is driven by two factors:

1. trade imbalance - consistent net importing exerts downward pressure

2. relative skill/wisdom with which the central bankers and government manage the country's financial system - tax deficits exert downward pressure

However IMO we're at one of those periodic times in history where the public's fundamental faith and trust in the banking system are at risk, and as soon as that reaches a critical tipping point the whole house of cards can come tumbling down.

The pound may be in a slightly better position than the USD and the EUR in the next 5-10 years, but not much.

So far the THB has been OK in that regard, but of course who knows in coming years.

I can't see any of those big three currencies doing well unless the west radically changes the way it manages its banking systems - IMO pigs will fly first.

I keep asking for suggestions for decent currency bets in that timeframe beyond Norway, Switzerland, Australia and Singapore, so far no one's piped up with any specifics.

• Like 1

It can be argued that the "norm" was the period up until 1969 which represented the longest period of stability at 60 (ish), people do however become fixated on 35 for some reason.

Graphs (especially those with such variation) can be made to show almost anything you want to show. You could say that around 45-55 was some sort of historical average. But then again it could be said that I was selective starting at 1960. If you went back further you would find that in the 1880 s the rate was fixed at 10 THB to the pound. I may be old but no I was not around then !

I only posted the graph to show that whether the GBP is currently up or down and by how much depends on your start point. Not economics, just the obvious.

• Like 2

Just playing with numbers, Brits are actually 50% worse off.

GBP/THB rate in 2008 .........66

GBP/THB rate now........... 44

Difference 22 Baht or - Brits could buy 50% more with their money 5 years ago e.g. if something was 66 Baht in 2008 it cost 1 Pound. Something that is 66 Baht now costs one Pound 50p.

So the country you love (thailand) needs to fail, Then you will get more bang for your buck.

It's kind of like saying, I love Thailand, but I don't want it to excel because I will need to give up a few needless luxuries.

-

Actually Thailand's much better off with a low-value currency relative to its trading partners since its economy is so heavily dependent on exports (tourism included).

Failing or succeeding economically from a "main street" POV isn't necessarily reflected in currency movements, as I said it's driven the trade balance and confidence in the the central bankers and government's financial management skills.

America's economy may fully recover with full employment and rising standards of living and still see the USD decline over time.

I keep asking for suggestions for decent currency bets in that timeframe beyond Norway, Switzerland, Australia and Singapore, so far no one's piped up with any specifics.

Forget about the Swiss currency. Switzerland is part of the European Economic zone, no matter whether we have contracts or not. CHF is now linked to the EURO through the actions of the Swiss National Bank which will not let the exchange rate drop below 1.20 and thus, the CHF is experiencing the exact same movements as the Euro.

This is completely independent of the still growing Swiss economy or the still stable unemployment rate.