Washing Machine? Thai Or Western ? Only Cold Or Also Hot Water ? Which Brand ? Electrolux Or Toshiba

Fgis

Hi,

Just wondering which washing machine you like more ? Thai/japanese (top loading) or western style ?

Technically a western style machine with clothes coming in and out of the water washes better than an Asian machine where the clothes always are in the water and never hit the water surface (this process is what cleans clothes the best).

I hate front loading machines because you cannot open to add something when they are full.

Western top loading machines are difficult to find here (found only one for 40k).

So if you buy a Thai/Jap machine which brand would you buy ? (Toshiba seems to be many fav ?)

If you buy a western machine which brand ? (Electrolux seems better for cheaper parts ?)

Thanks for your ideas.

Technically a western washer rips cloths to shreds better would be my take. So paying extra for less life of clothing would not be my idea of a good value. Modern units use air insertion to aid in the cleaning. We have been using a Hitachi for the last seven years and it refuses to die. And this is for about 8-10 people using about three loads every day. Cold water only (which is at least warm 99% of the time and almost hot during sun as from SS tank).

Experiences with Siemens front loader in a rental property had the wife charmed and she still hints at getting one for our own house eventually. Was able to handle her Thai (light) stuff and my farang (heavy) stuff with ease.

Had a rental condo in KL a few years back that had a top-loading Hitachi (I think) which was OK for my casual stuff since office clothes went to the dry cleaners.

Made the mistake for buying a US-made Whirlpool top-loader that was on special reduction at PowerBuy. I forgot that US washing machines are only one-step up from commercial grade cement mixers. The family were always using too much soap powder or too little water (despite the clearly marked water level switch) and it needed frequent cleaning as well as tearing up some of Thailand's 'bespoke' rubbish. I ended up letting the out-laws keep it for washing fighting chooks or mixing their meal or whatever.

Samsung seem to have a very, very good rep for reliability, longevity and after sales support.

You can sometimes get bargain (refurbished) white goods from branches of Amorn. Comes with a limited warranty but usually virtually new and about half-price. For example, there's a 7kg front-loading Siemens at Amorn Udon for 10k baht right now.

Edited by NanLaew

We have a 14kg Samsung top loader and it is a workhorse. Cost 8,999 baht and paid with it on the aeon card over 6 months interest free.

However I must admit it is not as good as a front loader, in my opinion. Having one in Canada, loved it. Higher rpm's in the spin cycle, used less electricity and water in doing a slightly better cleaning job. It was also a Samsung and only cost about $2,200 there abouts.

If you have a larger family try to get as big of load factor as you can the 13 to 14 kg washers are wonderful. Bought it at Tesco but shopped around and they were in line with other shops.

Electrolux European front loader, 8+ years old and never a problem. Having a real western kitchen as opposed to an estate agents version of a western kitchen, all my electrical products are built in. The washing machine is cold water only but most of the year that equates to European warm .

However I must admit it is not as good as a front loader, in my opinion. Having one in Canada, loved it. Higher rpm's in the spin cycle, used less electricity and water in doing a slightly better cleaning job. It was also a Samsung and only cost about $2,200 there abouts.

-

Only $2,200 for a washing machine?

Makes 9K THB sure seem a bargain doesn't it?

Personally I'll keep letting the maid scrub by hand, she's used to it and does a decent job.

Samsung big top loader, 6 years now, the mrs even puts rugs in it laugh.png .

PS. This type of machine can be repaired easily locally. thumbsup.gif

Just recently spoilt the misses, after about 2 years off washing clothes by hand, I asked her what do you want for your birthday? A washing machine came the reply. Checked out the prices and they had good deals with the Samsung top loader, comes with a 10 year warranty, the big boss is happy with it laugh.png

My family has bought 7 LG washers for various houses/ condo properties / rental properties here in Thailand.

Never ever a problem with any of the machines. Clothes are clean, machines not noisy, and not all that expensive compared to all brands.

In reality, how dirty do your clothes get here? For many of us we walk around in them for a few hours and put them in the wash. In the main they are damp from sweat anhd have some dust on them. Not exactly filthy clothes that need deep cleaning.

All this talk of this and that machine, for many of us it does not really matter as we need a quick wash and then hang the clothes out to dry in the sun. So no need to spend a fortune on a machine in these cases.

Front loader/western machines SHOULD wash better, hot water also, but after testing the result is the same with a standard Thai/Asian machine top loader. Even for white.

I know what people keep repeating, but if they would experience themselves instead of being brands robots they would know that they are wrong.

My maid scrubs up on the roof in a big tub by hand. But my whipped friend's had a Samsung top-loader for 8+ years now, needed one minor repair so far, says he's happy with it.

i have had a samsung for about 7 years now, and it is still going strong, never had a problem or required repair and it does about 8 loads a week

After my front loader gave birth to a sludgy slimy smelly black mouldy pudding monster around the inside of the rubber seal after just 18 months, I vowed never again. I always left the door open when not in use and dried the seal by hand as much as possible but it still happened. Given that this machine was resident in southern Aus where it is a lot less humid than Thailand, I don't think I would risk owning one here in Thailand. Also, the door latch started giving problems and the machine would literally stop mid-way through a cycle. This was 5 years ago so maybe things have improved. I have since had top loaders and have not noticed any difference in the quality of the wash.

• Like 1

I have a Panasonic 12 kg. Have replace the washer tub transmission 3 times in 10 years and many belts. The problem is not the machine, but my wife who overloads it every time she uses it no matter what I say. The machine will last forever if I replace the wife!

• Like 2

I have a small 6.5 Kilo Samsung top lader. Cleans the laundry very unsatisfactory, and uses too much water. The front laders usually use 50 to 60 litres for washing and rinsing, mine about 200 litres. I don't get tap water for much of the year but have to buy from the water trucks at 200 Baht for 2,000 litres, so after a number of years the top lader becomes more expensive. Front lader next time.

Oh dear, I bought a Panasonic (top loader) yesterday. We will see. The first machine I bought, German, lasted 25 years. I don't expect more than 2 years service from this one.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Top loader = Clothes swilled about in dirty water,stains remain,clothes smell nice but aren't clean.

Front loader = Clean fresh stain removed clothes.

Twin tubs,very popular in the UK during the industrial revolution.

Yes 60 millions people having dirty clothes here, right ? As most of them use top loader in this country !

Top loader = Clothes swilled about in dirty water,stains remain,clothes smell nice but aren't clean.

Front loader = Clean fresh stain removed clothes.

Twin tubs,very popular in the UK during the industrial revolution.

Yes 60 millions people having dirty clothes here, right ? As most of them use top loader in this country !

-

Most have never used (possibly seen, a large number never heard of) such an appliance, as mentioned before my own maid scrubs by hand for a household of seven.

I have a Panasonic 12 kg. Have replace the washer tub transmission 3 times in 10 years and many belts. The problem is not the machine, but my wife who overloads it every time she uses it no matter what I say. The machine will last forever if I replace the wife!

Hey wayned ... how on earth can you overload a 12kg washing machine.

Does she wash the grandkids in it ... whistling.gif

We have a Siemens front loader purchased in 2004 for 18000baht, good investment. In use almost everyday, never any trouble. Comes out clean, never any damages to clothes. Keep the door open after use and wipe the rubber seal dry.

I am no follower of fashion but do have sensitive skin and my old top loading machine never rinsed correctly and I was left with washing powder residue in my clothes and a rash. My hotpoint front loader does not give me the same problems so for me Front Loaders every time.

• Like 1