Buying A Car In Koh Samui

We will be in Samui shortly for the long term & are planning on buying a car. We looked in the summer and are looking at a Honda but rather than paying cash want to pay over 12 months. Can we do this if we are on a 90 day visa (this will be changed to a year visa but don't know how long it is going to take). We do have bank accounts in Samui. And secondly what about road tax disc (not sure what its called in KS) and also a driving licence? Can we drive under the radar or will we need to get a local licence?

Do you have a work permit?

Without it I doubt you'll get financing.

The road tax sticker you'll get the same time as you pay your insurance.

As long as you don't stay longer than 90 days in Thailand and have an IDP (International driving permit) you don't need a Thai DL.

It's easy to make a Thai DL and will cost you about 200 baht to convert your present DL to a Thai one.

• Like 2

As long as you don't stay longer than 90 days in Thailand and have an IDP (International driving permit) you don't need a Thai DL.

It's easy to make a Thai DL and will cost you about 200 baht to convert your present DL to a Thai one.

" It's easy to make a Thai DL and will cost you about 200 baht to convert your present DL to a Thai one."

Can this done with 30day stay tamp?

" It's easy to make a Thai DL and will cost you about 200 baht to convert your present DL to a Thai one."

Can this done with 30day stay tamp?

I do not think so.

You IDP will cover you for 90 days. The argument is "why do you need a Thai DL if you are only here for 30 days!"

If you buy a car without a Thai DL or drive for longer than 90 days on an IDP - your insurance MAY become invalid - if they find out.

I do not recommend 'driving under the radar' for a long period. this could cost you money and time in jail if something goes wrong. Of course - there are many people who do this but.......

If you do purchase car in Thailand - you will have to get a letter of 'proof of residency' from your embassy (expensive) or from immigration. Difficult with a 30 day visa.

Was looking to buy a new toyota hilux, which is just 520k, so need a 90 day visa to get thai DL?

You can get an one year temporary licence.

For the five year one, you'll need a non immigrant visa.

I changed my one year for a five year on a 30 day visa, but I did have a "proof of residence letter" from immigration.

Was looking to buy a new toyota hilux, which is just 520k, so need a 90 day visa to get thai DL?

I changed my one year for a five year on a 30 day visa, but I did have a "proof of residence letter" from immigration.

Hotel address is enough to get "proof of residence letter" from immigration with 30day stamp?

Hotel address is enough to get "proof of residence letter" from immigration with 30day stamp?

Use a friends address. ;)

Can both proof of residence letter from immigration and one year temporary license be done in one day in Nathon?

What is the process, can some one walk me through please?

Immigration first.

Go there with your address written on a piece of paper, your passport and 500 baht. Ask for a proof of address letter.

Be prepared for a long wait.

Go to the driving centre in Lipa Noi and take the driving test. You need to get there early, 9-9.30, so it is a two day process.

To save writing the whole thing out, search this forum to find out how the whole driving test thing works, the process has been described many times.

If you have an International Driving Permit you will not need to do the actual test (which is easy anyway), just the written test and the three eyesight tests,

Dress smartly and don't forget to smile at the beautiful lady who processes your licence. (It won't help getting the licence, but you will feel better). biggrin.png

The first licence you get (providing you pass) is valid for one year. The next licence you apply for after the year is valid for five years plus around to your next birthday.

• Like 2