Village Schools And English Teachers

WonnabeBiker

Hi All

last month, I met an experienced English teacher with over 30 years experience.

It was quite a shock as we could barely exchange a basic greeting, let alone

talk about the weather or engage in any small talk.

Have you heard anything? Will last year's 10,000 Baht program be renewed?

How much are the local schools offering? I know one village school in the North

which hired a "teacher" from a Frankophil country in Africa, keeping him on a

T Visa @ 15,000 Baht.

Thanks,

Chris.

I was the guest at a wedding in a village not far from Buriram. The host, thinking he was doing the right thing, sat me next to the local English teacher. The man was mortified as he didn't speak a word of English. I kept up my end by chatting to him in English and nodding as if he was replying to me. He soon mad a break for cover. God help his students.

This is widespread in Thailand.... in all the smaller schools and even some of the bigger ones. Many of them have to teach English because there is nobody else there who can do it, but many more are English graduates from minor universities.

The reason? All exams, even at Univ level, are written, and tend to concentrate on grammar. For preference they are multiple choice, which are easy to mark.

This is changing; more native speaker teachers are being employed (but the salary is so low in most schools that only young people who want to use this as a way to see the world will accept it). But it will take quite a while before you notice much difference.

• Like 1

I know a village school in that same area which can't find an English teacher for what they will pay. So a native Thai teaches it. She reads and writes English quite well (for a Thai,) but is very hard to understand. There is no way the kids can learn to speak English there.

I have to wonder what kind of teacher this Thai teacher had at the uni, since she studied English so hard and likes it.

What she is doing now, is studying speaking via YouTube. There are some pretty good lessons on there, and because she understands what's written, she can then know what is being said, and how it sounds. Here's just one example:

I teach my kids at home in the village and they read/write and speak English. It has become embarrassing for the "English" teacher at their school when she attempts to teach them.. I have taken them out of her class.. just a waste of time.

• Like 2

We have a pal who teaches at 7 village schools in Yasothon (he literally goes from school to school on his dirt bike). He loves the experience he's having. If you PM me I'll send you his email and he'll fill you in with the ins and outs of teaching in small villages.

We have a pal who teaches at 7 village schools in Yasothon (he literally goes from school to school on his dirt bike). He loves the experience he's having. If you PM me I'll send you his email and he'll fill you in with the ins and outs of teaching in small villages.

This is not particularly unusual, though 7 schools is going it a bit! Many village schools would welcome a retired farang teaching their kids to speak English. They may not be able to pay much, or anything, but they'd love to have you. Don't be afraid to offer.

So what's the deal if someone can enlighten me please....

Do you need a teaching degree?

What do they pay native English speaking teachers in the villages?

The arrangement I wrote about is unofficial... and there's probably no pay. If you expect to be paid, you have to do it the official way, have the qualifications, work permit etc. Otherwise the school simply does not have the funds to pay you.

The arrangement I wrote about is unofficial... and there's probably no pay. If you expect to be paid, you have to do it the official way, have the qualifications, work permit etc. Otherwise the school simply does not have the funds to pay you.

kids in the village couldn't really give a hoot about English anyhow. Life in the sticks.

Regardless of whether you are paid you still need the work permit otherwise you are risking your permission to stay in Thailand, and is it worth that? As krisb says most of the kids wouldnt want to learn anyway!!

HL biggrin.png

I am being paid to undertake speaking classes(meeting) for Teachers/Principals in the Uni where I work, so thinks are changing slowly.

Even some 'kids in the village' go to Uni and enjoy studying English but then again, some are happy Buffalo whispering too!

Edited by DILLIGAD
  • Like 1

Regardless of whether you are paid you still need the work permit otherwise you are risking your permission to stay in Thailand, and is it worth that? As krisb says most of the kids wouldnt want to learn anyway!!

HL biggrin.png

I would change that to most of the boys, I taught in the sticks, and I found out that most of the girls do want to learn English

I have come over from America to see my Thai girlfriend for the last two years for 6 months each time. She happens to be the English teacher in a Kaen Dong school K-6 for the past 30 years and her English speaking and grammar are still poor, as is with all country Thai English teachers. Since I am here anyway we team up to teach her classes, I do the grammar and speaking and help with the rest which she mainly teaches in Thai. There is no way to teach English to Thai students without a Thai interpreter first. I have found nothing but enthusiastic students and respect among the teachers. I work for free and just walked right in to class. There may be 10000 baht per month somewhere, but you will never find it. I would suggest you get introduced to local English teachers until you find one that you could get along with to share teaching duties until you get some experience and then go out on your own through that connection. Most teachers and schools would welcome you.

• Like 1

An English teacher lady who has been teachng for the past 20 years English in our village comes once a week in to let me check the work from the students. Her writing I have to be honest are almost perfect but when I am sitting down with her and talking a couple of minutes I understand only around 50% of whatever she says.

I was also many times invited to visit the village schools and talk to them in English but I declined as I don;t want to really get involved in teaching English and my WP and visa is issued to a Bangkok company so I really don't want to generate any problems.

I asked my wife many times to teach English to the village schools but she is hesitating as many of the kids in the classes are not really interested.

Squidgy I'm a long way out in the country. Out there most don't even speak Thai let alone English. My mother in law is 70 and doesn't speak Thai. The kids of course get taught and sure some try but most at young ages don't see the need for it.

There is no way to teach English to Thai students without a Thai interpreter first.

Next time you go in, maybe try printing out a series of maybe 6-8 pictures. Bluetac a picture to the board and write the word under it. Get the class to repeat after you as you say the word until they are saying it correctly. Do the same with each picture, and keep briefly referring back to the previous ones each time aswell. When they are all up on the board, just point at each so they say it, wipe out the words once they know each, so just pointing at the pictures.

You're then 80% of the way towards having taught them the vocabulary. You just need to get them to work each item into relevant sentences (e.g. Can you pass me a fork? Yes I can/no I can't) using games/activities to assist them with retention.

For all of your instructions to the students, try and use body language to assist with communicating your English instructions. They might find some things difficult to understand at first, but they'll work out the meaning from your body language (some treat it as a bit of a game anyway lol, where they race to translate what you said into Thai for their friends lol). Over time they will passively learn the various "teaching language" you use, especially if you initially follow a bit of a pattern with your lessons so they sorta expect what you're going to say anyway.

Also don't expect them to know anything which you haven't taught them yourself. And give quick revision sessions of previous lessons at the start of each class. Ideally if you can, have each topic build on content from a previous so that they get extra practice, as repetition is key.

Anywho hopefully that's of assistance, there are other ways to teach but this is an easy way to do vocabulary.

• Like 2

There is no way to teach English to Thai students without a Thai interpreter first.

Next time you go in, maybe try printing out a series of maybe 6-8 pictures. Bluetac a picture to the board and write the word under it. Get the class to repeat after you as you say the word until they are saying it correctly. Do the same with each picture, and keep briefly referring back to the previous ones each time aswell. When they are all up on the board, just point at each so they say it, wipe out the words once they know each, so just pointing at the pictures.

You're then 80% of the way towards having taught them the vocabulary. You just need to get them to work each item into relevant sentences (e.g. Can you pass me a fork? Yes I can/no I can't) using games/activities to assist them with retention.

For all of your instructions to the students, try and use body language to assist with communicating your English instructions. They might find some things difficult to understand at first, but they'll work out the meaning from your body language (some treat it as a bit of a game anyway lol, where they race to translate what you said into Thai for their friends lol). Over time they will passively learn the various "teaching language" you use, especially if you initially follow a bit of a pattern with your lessons so they sorta expect what you're going to say anyway.

Also don't expect them to know anything which you haven't taught them yourself. And give quick revision sessions of previous lessons at the start of each class. Ideally if you can, have each topic build on content from a previous so that they get extra practice, as repetition is key.

Anywho hopefully that's of assistance, there are other ways to teach but this is an easy way to do vocabulary.

Great post Sly.

What about when you get to words like - can, but, because, want etc.

How would you get students to understand what you are trying to get across if you have zero Thai language skills?

Sysman.

When I learnt French at school in the late 90's we went into the French teachers room ( she was a qualified French national teacher) the whole room graphics, scripts, books etc was all in French, total immersion, no other language was used, you listened, you responded, you learnt.

Fas forward some 10 years. I was selected for a military project and needed the relevant language skills, same system total immersion into the target language, graphics, and script, reading and writing, clothing and customs, T.V. radio music and food plus customs, native speaker of the target language.It worked.

One needs to adhere to the language one is teaching,I will not nor ever have spoken any other language that English when teaching no matter what the subject was.

One listens to the comments made in Thai and understands, then you steer the student into the right direction by explaining and helping to solve the current problem, student feels good, retains the knowledge and the teacher is respected..

Just remember how we all learn to speak our native first language or if it is a multi language family how we learn the multiple languages.

Our three boys speak English, Thai Lao, Khmer and Mandarin, all learnt by being involved with family members who spoke and still speak those languages,

When one takes aim at a target one tends to aim for ''the bull'' much the same as language or any other subject for that matter, one doesn't introduce chemistry into a history class or science into a geography class etc etc.

Target language, aim for the bulls eye and stay focused on that bulls eye.Don't muddy the waters of learning.

Well that's my way and it worked and still works for me,in our school in the English department English is the only allowed language use, another language and you get a report slip.

Three report slips equate to one speech on a student chosen subject in English before the whole English programme students at morning assembly, the system works well.

Very true, that's how I used to teach English in Switzerland. Even with a complete idiot you can show him a pencil and get him to say the word. Next you get red pencils and blue pencils... this is a pencil, this is a red pencil... give me the red pencil... in Thailand they generally learn by rote, meaning that no understanding is involved. Just like in the UK 60 years ago...

• Like 1

Whoops I made a typo regarding ''When I learnt French at school in the 90's Post # 25.

It should read the late 1950's

That typo seems to prove that age takes its toll cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What about when you get to words like - can, but, because, want etc.

How would you get students to understand what you are trying to get across if you have zero Thai language skills?

They need a little more English for that, but basically by using English examples e.g. This pencil is red, but that pencil is blue. I like dogs, but I don't like cats.

Or for something like want, a picture (or similar) of someone thinking about an object would probably work well.

For because you'd need them to also learn why at the same time. Then use logical examples using vocabulary which they already know.

Multiple choice options/questions would work well for examples here. As they would then make the connection between what seems logical and what doesn't.

I have been volunteer teaching in my small Thai Village for the past three years. My backround includes 25 years as an educator (17 in educational administration) in America before retiring here five years ago.

The reasons for volunteering are boredom (I am the only Farang within 70 K and speak Thai enough to meet my needs), being comfortable in a school setting, having fun, enjoying kids when they are learning and generating respect for myself in the place where I live with my wife and her family.

The school is small with an average class size between 8 and 10 students from Pre-school through grade 9. Not being under any contract or monetary obligation I can choose my own hours and grade assignment. I work with students in grades 1,2,3 and 4 five days a week. Half hour lessons are most effective. When I see the first fidget I know I've gone too long.

Being animate and exciting are the keys. I am in constant motion and not plopped behind a desk. I always use the chalkboard to provide another stimulus and try charade like body gestures to get the meanings across. Changing subjects in 5 minute intervals are beneficial to learning (go from colors to numbers to ABC's, etc) Coming back to the same subject during the half hour works effectively to provide the repetition of what you are trying to teach. In the younger grades teach vocabulary using objects they can associate with everyday (desk, pencil,house,tree, etc.). I often ask what the same thing is in Thai and let them have a giggle with my mispronunciations. Speak slowly and enunciate the English words. The benefits of a small class size is that you can see every student sound the word at the same time. Over the course of time these vocabulary words can be used in complete sentences.

I greet the students in English when entering the class. They all stand up to greet me in English ( all with a Wai which is so cute). When seated I have them individually greet their classmate with the typical "Good morning _______. How are you today? The real purpose of this is to get them speaking comfortably in English. I don't think it's the lack of ability of Thai learning to speak English but rather the shyness of trying.

I could ramble on for hours but I'll leave you with the thoughts that working with children in a learning situation will bring more rewards than you can imagine and you are giving back to the world.

Shyness is a big factor. I finished up leading a bilingual business in Switzerland but I can well remember the shyness at the beginning, my school German and French were almost useless (dialect!). . I just got so tired of people pretending not to understand (foreigners don't speak Swiss German, turn off brain) that I subtly bullied them into listening. Same thing everywhere I guess, you have to give people confidence.

• Like 1