Is It Possible To Enjoy Driving In Los?

thaibeachlovers

Just back from a trip to the village and I didn't enjoy the journey even a minute, not like I would have "back 'ome".

Too many idiots pulling out without as much as a glance ( taking evasive action was always good for a scream from the passenger seat ) morons that think it's OK to ride m'bikes at night without any lights whatsoever while wearing dark clothing, and the usual DH's that overtake on blind corners because they have such busy lives that they can't wait a few minutes to pass safely.

Not to mention, faded or missing lines, absent signage, and poorly maintained roads.

Plus the reluctance of truck drivers to use full beam so that cars behind them can actually see the road ahead ( are they scared the battery will go flat? ).

Not to forget vans drivers on a race car kick, and dogs that think the middle of the road is a nice place to sleep.

Then, there was the clown in chief that waited for me to be half way past before speeding up so I couldn't overtake, arrrrggggghhhhhh.

So, is there some happy place in LOS where I can in fact drive enjoyably?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sold me on moving from the Philippines to LOS was 15 yrs ago when a friend and I rented a car and drove the loop from Chiang Mai/Pai/Maehong Son/Mae Serang, around Doi Inthanon and then back to CM in 4 days [750k] and enjoyed the long stretches of well maintained mountain roads with hardly any traffic.

But, now settled in CM and have to fight the idiots on the city roads and hate it. If I had my way, I would stay at home all week and only go in once for supplies because just driving to the nearest town 10k away, you can encounter at least 20 near death experiences and it takes 150% of your attention which leaves me drained by the time I return home.

Sometimes I do get into the game.....I can be just as rude as Thai drivers if I want to and then I can have good manners and give way to the ungrateful idiots....depends on my mood.

If you think Thai drivers and the roads are bad, then make a trip to the Philippines and you sill see 10x more traffic and 10x more rudeness.

Oh, in answer to your question 'is it possible to enjoy driving in LOS?.

the answer is drink a lot and take a lot of drugs while talking on your cel phone and drive , you won't get so angry.

Edited by jaideeguy

I don't know, I kind of enjoy driving in Thailand.

Me too.

Me three. There's freedom that I don't get in Scotland.

Last year, I drove my mother's car and got annoyed with the restrictive laws. For example, not being allowed to turn left at lights when red and nothing coming. In Australia I got a ticket for parking my car(facing the wrong way), which is bloody ridiculous.

A few years ago I got a ticket in Nakon Sawan for exactly the same thing! Yes bloody ridiculous!!!

I've always enjoyed driving in Thailand. Used to drive round trip Nakhon Sawan to Koh Samui once or twice a month, 1000 kilometers on way Had a few mishaps and ,of course, being stopped for speeding _which I always was - but other than that no problems. You just have to be 110% vigilant.

Coming from the States where one is conditioned to obsessively watch your speed and be fearful of traffic police seeking to boost the city coffers, its often nice to not have to worry about "speed limits" or "driving rules", etc.

Of course there is a downside to the general absence of rules; i.e. you are more likely to die or be maimed.

I had an appointment at Adventist Hospital, so I left the intersection of Sathorn and Rama IV about an hour and a half before the appointment, thinking to get there a bit early and read. I got there three minutes late. Four kilometers or so in 93 minutes. At one light, I waited for 12 minutes for the green only to have it switch back to red after three cars got through.

I ran into the waiting room and sat down with the nurse for my BP. She took it, looked at the reading, and did a double take.

"Oh, your blood pressure is very high!"

At that, I just broke out laughing. Hypertension medication or not, Bangkok traffic is pretty effective on raising blood pressure! :)

• Like 2

thaibeachlovers, on 28 Mar 2013 - 14:01, said:

Good collection of replies, Thanks.

Perhaps those that do enjoy driving here can let us know where I can obtain that happy state of mind on the roads.

-

Develop a taste for danger; maybe try bungee jumping or flying ultralights?

Perhaps those that do enjoy driving here can let us know where I can obtain that happy state of mind on the roads.

1 Never drive at night

2 Never drive in Bangkok

3 Always keep your distance(50yards+)

4 Laugh about anything you usually feel frustrated about

Unfortunately, in the day time the kids on their m'bikes become a real danger, dogs are more likely to get squished and granny is wandering along the wrong side of the road.

I don't think they teach road safety here- I saw a group of kids walking along the road verge, in the same direction as the traffic. When I was young, we were drilled to walk opposing the traffic, for obvious reasons.

I'd rather drink bleach than drive in Bkk.

I do leave a long gap, but it just gives them more time to pull out without looking, or indicating.w00t.gif

I'm too busy cursing to laugh.

I just did a 5 day driving trip from Pattaya to north of Sakon Nakhon and back. Spent the night in Khon Kaen on the way up and it was an uneventful trip. Pretty nice roads except that small part through the mountains near Khao Yai. Idiots like to pass on blind corners. But not very scenic except through Khao Yai. Crazy traffic and trucks between Pattaya and Kabin Buri. No fun at all.

KK to north of Sakon Nakhon was pretty nice. Not much traffic and a pretty nice drive through the mountains. Was great to spend a few hours at the King's residence in the mountains there. Beautiful gardens.

From there, we went directly to the Mekhong River. I had this stupid idea of driving down the river as best we could and then cut back in near Ubon. What a mistake. The roads were absolutely horrible. Not much problem with traffic, but you'd be driving along at 80KM and BAM! A huge section of bad road would hit you. Then it'd get nice, you'd relax a bit, and BAM! More pot holes. Really hard you as a driver.

We spent the night in Mukdahan and then near Surin. From Phibun on it was a tough road. Lots of traffic, crazy drivers, dangerous trucks. Just no fun. You really had to be on guard.

Got home around 3PM and was beat. I'm from the west coast in the US. You can do 70MPH on the highways and they are great. Put it on cruise and go.

I have done some drives around Chiang Rai/CM and did have a great time. The MHS loop is great. That's our next road trip. Pattaya to the Golden Triangle. Can't wait.

I think as some have said, up around CM/CR is nice. We loved the drive from Surat over to Krabi. Really beautiful and no traffic. Not too bad from Hua Hin on down either. Especially if you get off the main road and follow the coast as much as you can. Slow driving, but quite scenic.

I love to drive in LOS, not BKK, although I have driven in the city but up country or on the motorways, I never have a problem but then I am not trying to outrun everyone else on the roads. Hubby will often take us for a drive around the country roads in the pick up & we happily poodle along around 35mph to enjoy the pace & scenery. I find people looking to go to fast will never enjoy life in LOS, driving or other, you have to learn to slow down & recognise that the journey might take a bit longer. :)

1 Never drive at night

2 Never drive in Bangkok

3 Always keep your distance(50yards+)

4 Laugh about anything you usually feel frustrated about

Unfortunately, in the day time the kids on their m'bikes become a real danger, dogs are more likely to get squished and granny is wandering along the wrong side of the road.

I don't think they teach road safety here- I saw a group of kids walking along the road verge, in the same direction as the traffic. When I was young, we were drilled to walk opposing the traffic, for obvious reasons.

I'd rather drink bleach than drive in Bkk.

I do leave a long gap, but it just gives them more time to pull out without looking, or indicating.w00t.gif

I'm too busy cursing to laugh.

Hahaha. I am glad you can see things from the bright side.

I have never been able to understand the way these people put their lives in danger plus their family by passing on the oncoming lane driving head on into on coming traffic thinking they can get away with it.

Learned to drive in Canada/Ireland

have driven in - UK, France, Italy, Portugal, Hawaii, Las Vegas, Mexico (cancun, pvr, mazatlan), Dominican Republic, Laos, Thailand, Morocco, Tunisia, Jamaica, Belgium and a few other places.

Best thing I did was get de-programmed from my western brainwashing on how to drive. Makes going for a spin here much more relaxing. Yes everything you have listed applies to driving in Dog-Leg-Shire, South Yorkshire but hey that is what I love about Thailand. I am a good enough driver that I don't need rules!

Try going for a spin in the far north east between Chiang Khan and Nakhon Phanom along the Mekong River Route. Truly one of Thailands amazing drives.

with proper planing, routes, tours etc etc, sure it is possible to enjoy driving here

but for daily driving to work, driving kids to schools etc are nothing but a pure pain in the arse. my experiences arent as wide as many here, but i do work and drive daily in busan, johor and singapore in the past and by far the traffic and driving ethics are the worst here