Songkran, How Do You Feel About It?

yourauntbob

Indeed! Why do you think January is so busy in the maternity wards...?

It's the one time of year the wives always keep a very sharp eye on the husbands....very sharp...

-

Too bad more parents/siblings don't do the same with the daughters.

Or a good thing depending on your POV assuming you take responsibility for birth control.

I bet there's a heck of a spike 9 month's after Valentine's also, also used to find that fertile hunting time. . .

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

five Roman Catholic churches within 30 minutes drive.

Songkran not 'embraced' as much as in most other areas.

We have a Christmas parade instead.

Wow, where's that? Amphoe or at least province if you don't want to give the town?

I don't mind the last day of it. It's a good chance buy a drink for and to sit and have a drink with people I don't usually get the chance to, like the estate security and maintenance crews the local traffic bobbies or the motorcycle taxi lads etc. and let them know I appreciate their services to the community.

Plus all them dollies in wet T shits you cop an eyeful of....

Do you think we will have another Songkran boobie outrage this year ?......one hopes so....w00t.gif .....notice the ministry of silly walks culture hasnt yet come out yet with a press statement banning young ladies from baring their boobies in public

One lives in hope...what came of all that? Did it all blow over or did the lass get a public spanked bottom off the outraged official who made such a fuss?

think at least one of them was fined THB 500...but if if she cares to do it again along with a few of her good looking friends I will gladly pay the fines for them this year...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I don't mind the last day of it. It's a good chance buy a drink for and to sit and have a drink with people I don't usually get the chance to, like the estate security and maintenance crews the local traffic bobbies or the motorcycle taxi lads etc. and let them know I appreciate their services to the community.

Plus all them dollies in wet T shits you cop an eyeful of....

Do you think we will have another Songkran boobie outrage this year ?......one hopes so....w00t.gif .....notice the ministry of silly walks culture hasnt yet come out yet with a press statement banning young ladies from baring their boobies in public

One lives in hope...what came of all that? Did it all blow over or did the lass get a public spanked bottom off the outraged official who made such a fuss?

think at least one of them was fined THB 500...but if if she cares to do it again along with a few of her good looking friends I will gladly pay the fines for them this year...thumbsup.gif

We should get a fund started up....

We should get a fund started up....

Great idea and just think we would be contributing to cultural development in Thailand and Yingluck might get some of the quality tourists she is after visting Thailand, TAT's new marketing drive.... "Visit Thailand this Songkran and see nubile bare breasted ladies all wet"....will have em in in their millions

I guess the whole street revelry thing is in my blood having been born and bred in London's Notting Hill which, as some will know, is home to the Notting Hill Carnival each year.

Consequently, I'm very much looking forward to this year's Songkran. This'll be my 5th and I can't wait.

The atmosphere is fantastic as are the Thais & foreigners creating it.

Those who don't like it can just stay home or book a flight out.

Simple, really

• Like 2

I love it.Getting a chance to interact with the thai community without getting any sort of discriminative looks while having a few beers and a bit of fun is all good by me.The kids seem to love to target the falangs while the parents look on and laugh.As long as you react with a smile and a laugh,then you'll have a great time.I don't have any connections with any of my neighbours,but I'm damn sure their kids will be using me as target practice pretty soon.

• Like 1

The ice in the water is what bothers me. Supposedly this is illegal but nobody enforces this rule. Water and paste are good fun but adding ice to water is over the top. I live in Silom so will escape to Pattaya for a few days.

my second Songkran we were staying at friends' farm; rather than sit around I decided to cycle to the ATM - about 30km each way; no problem on quiet rural roads I thought.

That was an experience, a rare white man, spotted a long way off by each little water attack place - some about 50m apart I may as well have walked, lots of cooling water, face-painted, whisky-ed, some sips of beer . . .made it to ATM an absolute mess, covered in coloured powder/paste;

Then of course - no choice but take same road back. More of everything.

When I got home, about two hours later than planned, no one had missed me.

No search party plans.

The ice in the water is what bothers me. Supposedly this is illegal but nobody enforces this rule. Water and paste are good fun but adding ice to water is over the top. I live in Silom so will escape to Pattaya for a few days.

Escape to Pattaya? It is worse there by light years.

It is more like three weeks up here in Chiang Rai and I do not particularly like it.coffee1.gif

Three magical days??? about a week where I stay. I said this last year and got a few negative posts about it, but I'm saying it again. If any Farang who I do not know attacks me by throwing water over me, then I will retaliate, and not with water. If anyone wants to have fun and join in the celebrations, then that's great, but do not force anyone to participate against their will, and do not throw water at passing vehicles, particularly motorbikes. Leave that to the Thais who do not have our mentality, and don't know any better.

• Like 2

Not true in Northern Thailand. 25 years ago, Songkran was even wilder!

What gives a bunch of kids the right to throw water over an adult? This would never have happened 25 years ago when we were politely asked.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Escape to Pattaya? It is worse there by light years.

Or better - depending how you look at it (20 years ago I would have said better, but now...maybe not).

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe

Songkran is a beautiful festival which has unfortunately been ruined over the last few years. Much the same as Xmas in the West. After about my 10th Songkran , I'd had enough and stopped taking part. Maybe because I'm 50 now and managed to get out Thailand for most of the festivals over the last 10 years, but last year was terrible. What gives a bunch of kids the right to throw water over an adult? This would never have happened 25 years ago when we were politely asked. Maybe it's because of the increase in farangs that come on holiday and leave their brains on the plane that it seems like farang are 'fair game'. I'm going to get a T-shirt made saying in Thai, " not all farang will giggle and wai you when you disrespect them". I've had some nice songkrans at my inlaws respecting my wife's parents. Also, it is nice when my children do it to me. But outside it is madness and for drunken kids and farang in their mid-life crisis and refuse to age with dignity.

Christmas must have been a "joy" in your house. Geez Dad why don't you tell us again how much better the 50's were.

• Like 1

I guess if getting some water on you is going to ruin your day....maybe.....just maybe, stay indoors for a few days and leave the fun stuff for the rest of us.

I work and have to travel very bust streets to get to my job and it is as much fun today as it was 4 years ago. Wild, crazy, free, family friendly for the most part. At least in and around my hometown.

I have been blessed to have experienced Mardi Gras, Carnival, Spring Break (us, mexico), St. Patrick's Day Parade in Dublin, Oktoberfest (germany) and a few other celebrations and all of them have pros and cons and ALL have changed over the years. It is what makes these types of events so much fun.

But there will always be people (mostly older) who will always complain about how it is not the same as it was in "my day". If I wanted my life to be as boring as yours "dad" I would have stayed in my room. It ain't 1954 anymore people.....

• Like 1