Pyongyang Declares ' State Of War' With South Korea - Agency

webfact

The latest massive ordnance penetrator (bunker buster) is described here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-14/boeing-s-30-000-pound-bunker-buster-improved-u-s-says.html

These are the ones going to Israel so the US will have a couple of them left over for use on the Korean Peninsula. They can be carried only by B-2's and we all know that little test run will work, based on all the furor from last week.

Should the North Koreans manage to get a missile in the air, it is unlikely it will ever go anywhere near civilization before being taken down. Even if they are nuclear tipped, it is unlikely Obama will have the fortitude to use nukes against the North Koreans for a number of reasons.

What the real worry is, IMHO, an artillery barrage into the South and Seoul before the artillery can be neutralized. A few well placed daisy cutters will do wonders taking out semi-exposed troops and artillery but, to me, the real threat is a conventional attack on the South and the possible large numbers of deaths before the South and the US can react.

Somebody made the claim no troops would be required on the ground, conveniently forgetting the US already has nearly 30,000 troops on the ground now. The need to react swiftly will be paramount to reduce casualties. Apache helicopters and A-10's can take care of the PRK tank corps but B-52's from Diego Garcia and the B-2's might be required for the heavy ordnance at some point.

I imagine the battle plan is already established and all contingencies have been ironed out by military experts much wiser than any of us.

I simply do not believe the North will launch nukes but they could go conventional.

If they do, I don't really believe the US will be trying to get compassion from any of our enemies to begin with. In war, the object is to kill your enemy, not seek compassion from them.

I have read about those,bunker busters and they also said that while useful may not be 100% sure because never been tested to full depth.

The discussion was that even if Israel was to use the bunker busters, it may still not be enough to destroy or penetrate deep enough.

I do not think anyone knows how deep underground NK keeps its nukes, so again it may not be as easy as some think

I do agree with you about artillery barrage

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their nuke arsenal is outdated and most likely poorly kept as well. The explosions are very likely and it would not be ONLY NK problem but a problem for entire region, including South Korea.

Like it or not loss of civilian life due to bombardment is never excused and always critisized by International community.

As for bunk busters, as you said secret, so not sure how you know of its capabilitythumbsup.gif

Clearly there is a good reason why US and the rest of the world allowed them to breach every single sanction and allowed for every single test to take place.

Perhaps its not as easy as 1-2-3 as some like to believe

They were allowed to breach sanctions because US, UN world powers are not God and cannot make anyone do anything just by asking or commanding. Short of bombing or invading, how else were we or any to stop them. Eventually, the level if breach will warrant the use of overwhelming force and God help them when that happens. They have been given every opportunity to act peacefully and appropriately. Seriously, what they ate doing defies all reason and logic. People of NK need to rise up or their leaders are going to really put them in harms way.

US has weapons that can either destroy or seal up weapons silo and make them completely inoperable in addition to taking down all radar and guidance systems. I would be surprised if wehave some sort of emp capabilities if necessary.

Fact is, if we cannot protect ourselves any others from some peon country like NK, the world has huge problems.

If only things were as simple as you making it out to be, perhaps there would not have been the stand off for the last few decades and again, all the tests would not have been tolerated.

Your probably right as North Korea has absolutely nothing we can use or want. If, however, they do launch a strike on South Korea, good bye Charlie. It would be a shorter war than when we drove the Iraqi's out of Kuwait. coffee1.gif

Of course it will. US would just decimate NK's millitary capabilities through the air and be done. No need to step in and stabilize NK.

Leader or no leader, NK can fend for itself. The goal is just to remove their ability to harm others. That can be accomplished expeditiously and without on solider on the ground. Completely different scenario here compared to Iraq et al.

You assuming the nuke are within bombers reach, What if the nukes are underground?

What about civilians?

What about possible explosion of the nukes?

The latest massive ordnance penetrator (bunker buster) is described here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-14/boeing-s-30-000-pound-bunker-buster-improved-u-s-says.html

These are the ones going to Israel so the US will have a couple of them left over for use on the Korean Peninsula. They can be carried only by B-2's and we all know that little test run will work, based on all the furor from last week.

Should the North Koreans manage to get a missile in the air, it is unlikely it will ever go anywhere near civilization before being taken down. Even if they are nuclear tipped, it is unlikely Obama will have the fortitude to use nukes against the North Koreans for a number of reasons.

What the real worry is, IMHO, an artillery barrage into the South and Seoul before the artillery can be neutralized. A few well placed daisy cutters will do wonders taking out semi-exposed troops and artillery but, to me, the real threat is a conventional attack on the South and the possible large numbers of deaths before the South and the US can react.

Somebody made the claim no troops would be required on the ground, conveniently forgetting the US already has nearly 30,000 troops on the ground now. The need to react swiftly will be paramount to reduce casualties. Apache helicopters and A-10's can take care of the PRK tank corps but B-52's from Diego Garcia and the B-2's might be required for the heavy ordnance at some point.

I imagine the battle plan is already established and all contingencies have been ironed out by military experts much wiser than any of us.

I simply do not believe the North will launch nukes but they could go conventional.

If they do, I don't really believe the US will be trying to get compassion from any of our enemies to begin with. In war, the object is to kill your enemy, not seek compassion from them.

Having troops in region and actually sending them into NK are two different concepts, the latter of which I believe will be avoided at all costs. Special force ops might be feasible, but public may never be privy to that information. Send US troops into NK would just not sit well with public in US and politicians know that. It is also completely unnecessary for NK purposes.

Really ... all this rhetoric is aimed at the home audience in the hope it will stop their new Minnie Mouse from looking weak. Their news has been flooded with 'set up' pix of Mr Big at various military stations, apparently issuing orders to the NK military. The regime wants a permanent solution to the stand off. But they don't want to be seen to ask for it. So they're hoping the S Korean gov't will make the first move so they can be dragged, kicking and screaming, to a bribed end of the old conflict between the two halves of the peninsula. A little face saving. A lot of aid, and the little guy can claim some kind of victory to the starving masses of his own country. This is not about war. This is about the best deal they can get and a peaceful solution. The big hats are hurting since the new sanctions tightened the noose. They want out. A million strong army equipped with pop guns and inadequate rations isn't a threat to S Korea. Millions of refugees is. Both Park and the new Chinese suits know this. It's a facade! Watch this space. A deal will ensue and Korea will unify. Long, drawn out process costing the south a heap of Won. But the result will be a very strong N E Asian economy which will balance that of the Chinese.

Next!

wai2.gif

DIG

________________________________________________________________________Technical problem here. Above is the post of dressedingreen. My post is as follows:

The grave problem for S Korea is that massive N Korean rocket artillery are only 50 miles from Seoul. I see as I write this that Chuckd has mentioned the fact in the post he just made. U.S. boomer subs presently off the Asia coast, each of which carry 24 missiles of multiple warheads, would smoke the North in two hours or less. (One of the three boomers constantly in the western Pacific is always off the Korean peninsula, and itself would be more than enough to do the job.) However, in those two hours Pyongyang's artillery would reduce Seoul to a wasteland. In addition to Seoul being the South's capital, it has a quarter of the country's population. So any kind of military action on the peninsula would occur at a great price, which comes as no surprise any of us.

I largely share the views you state in your post, but your statement is too casual for me. Since the unification of Germany Seoul has sent dozens of teams there to study broadly, at great length and in great detail the process, its effects, the cost, the time involved in what can be defined as complete integration of the former two Germanys. Each team has returned to Seoul pale and ashen faced. At the time of unification, West Germany had been the third largest economy of the world, yet reunification was carried on at great financial cost past the turn of the millennium. While the present chancellor is from the old East, Germany has yet to regain its social fabric while cultural differences continue to impede the Germans in the former East. These are costs Seoul and most S Koreans fear.

During two years in S Korea the Koreans kept telling me unification was "ten years" away. Koreans said that when I was there in 1996-98 and a Korean in an email to me January this year said the same thing - "ten years." The reality is the S Koreans still don't want to disturb or disrupt their high standard of living and high quality of life to bring their fellow Koreans in the North up to speed. S Koreans are enjoying being a developed economy which quickly is becoming an advanced one. S Korea broke through the middle income trap very successfully. They don't want to be inconvenienced - put out, really - by taking on the task before them.

Kim and his gang are now getting the kind of embargoes and sanctions that Prez Obama managed to impose on the ayatollahs et al in Iran. Iran has recently come to the table. I share your view dressedingreen that Kim will never come to the table. The Gang in Pyongyang want their caviar and to continue to move weapons for money, deal in drugs, launder money, have access the international shadow banking system and so on. Now Even the PRChina voted with Obama at the UN to block Pongyang in these illicit pursuits. The big hats in Pyongyang shutter to think of how thin their waistlines are going to get, which is not very different from the impact of the new sanctions in Tehran. .

It's clear as far as Washington and Seoul are concerned - Beijing too - that the stuck pig Pongyang can squeal and make all the racket it wants, but it's gonna have to face reality and give up its nukes.

And I need to commend Prez Obama for devising and implementing sanctions that go directly to the leaders of these regimes. Obama knows the criticism of sanctions is that they hurt the population themselves, the leaders less, as serious research over decades has proven to be true. Obama instead has begun to go after the bank accounts as well as the waistlines of the regimes themselves.

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1

Posts like yours really build compassion with the folks who want to destroy America. Please keep them coming. Continue to tell the world what Americans are like. smile.png

"[T]he folks who want to destroy America?"

You wouldn't happen to know specifically, or even personally, any of those to whom you refer, would you?

If you might know some, please name some names and where they might be from. If you might know many, that certainly would be even more informative and helpful.

I, the FBI, CIA and others in the United States government certainly would be interested in any knowledge or information, insights, you might have. I would encourage you to share with us any such info.

I'm sure you'd be as concerned and interested in the whereabouts and the activities of those to whom you refer as the people of the United States would be.

So come forward if you can. You might single-handedly save the world from a holocaust of hell.

Their nuke arsenal is outdated and most likely poorly kept as well. The explosions are very likely and it would not be ONLY NK problem but a problem for entire region, including South Korea.

Like it or not loss of civilian life due to bombardment is never excused and always critisized by International community.

As for bunk busters, as you said secret, so not sure how you know of its capabilitythumbsup.gif

Clearly there is a good reason why US and the rest of the world allowed them to breach every single sanction and allowed for every single test to take place.

Perhaps its not as easy as 1-2-3 as some like to believe

They were allowed to breach sanctions because US, UN world powers are not God and cannot make anyone do anything just by asking or commanding. Short of bombing or invading, how else were we or any to stop them. Eventually, the level if breach will warrant the use of overwhelming force and God help them when that happens. They have been given every opportunity to act peacefully and appropriately. Seriously, what they ate doing defies all reason and logic. People of NK need to rise up or their leaders are going to really put them in harms way.

US has weapons that can either destroy or seal up weapons silo and make them completely inoperable in addition to taking down all radar and guidance systems. I would be surprised if wehave some sort of emp capabilities if necessary.

Fact is, if we cannot protect ourselves any others from some peon country like NK, the world has huge problems.

If only things were as simple as you making it out to be, perhaps there would not have been the stand off for the last few decades and again, all the tests would not have been tolerated.

Nothing simple about using weapons to level a small country. Thank God for that. As far as the ability and technology to accomplish the same, that is relatively simple. Candidly, I am not sure of your agenda or point. If you think US or UN should stay out of it and let NK do whatever they are inclined to do, then have the balls to say it rather than just beating around the bush and making little sense.

If it starts it better end quick. The American public does not have the stomach for war. As soon as the first soldier's funeral, the left will be screaming to end the war. It doesn't matter how many amazing weapons they have, the real fight is with public opinion.

Although it is helpful that hardly anyone knows any North Koreans personally.

You must be kidding. The US has been at war with someone my entire life. The people have become desensitized to it. If this were the case, why have the streets in the US not been filled with protesters about Iraq and Afghanistan? Even after knowing that both were started under false pretenses. No, sadly the average American is only concerned about their lot in the life, what times the football comes on the TV, if they can pay their monthly bills and if their belly is full.

• Like 1

Posts like yours really build compassion with the folks who want to destroy America. Please keep them coming. Continue to tell the world what Americans are like. smile.png

"[T]he folks who want to destroy America?"

You wouldn't happen to know specifically, or even personally, any of those to whom you refer, would you?

If you might know some, please name some names and where they might be from. If you might know many, that certainly would be even more informative and helpful.

I, the FBI, CIA and others in the United States government certainly would be interested in any knowledge or information, insights, you might have. I would encourage you to share with us any such info.

I'm sure you'd be as concerned and interested in the whereabouts and the activities of those to whom you refer as the people of the United States would be.

So come forward if you can. You might single-handedly save the world from a holocaust of hell.

That was retarded response to a factually accurate observation.

Well, someone took some action to foil North Korea. It seems that moments ago N Korean military and government websites began being knocked out by cyber attacks.

Here's the link to the breaking news:

http://www.businessinsider.com/opnorthkorea-hits-websites-2013-3

Intereting, take out communication at all levels. Could be a signal of back the f down or first step of bigger things to come . . . Or it could simple be some 16 year old having fun. Scary thing is how much hackers can cripple any developed country. Everything from finance to defense is subject to hacking.

Well, someone took some action to foil North Korea. It seems that moments ago N Korean military and government websites began being knocked out by cyber attacks.

Here's the link to the breaking news:

http://www.businessinsider.com/opnorthkorea-hits-websites-2013-3

Intereting, take out communication at all levels. Could be a signal of back the f down or first step of bigger things to come . . . Or it could simple be some 16 year old having fun. Scary thing is how much hackers can cripple any developed country. Everything from finance to defense is subject to hacking.

Your point about some 16 year-old or some such is well taken, however, given the exigencies of the past several days up there in NE Asia - add to that the past few weeks - this looks like it's more the case of, as you say, back the f down or this is the first step of more to come. Still, this should be enough to get the Pyongyang Gang scrambling to defend their own systems rather than continue to show Chub at the helm saving and unifying his great nation. Kim is likely bouncing off the walls shouting incoherent orders as the technical people bust their own chops trying to stop the cyber attacks. So I'd have high confidence S Korea and the U.S. are teaming up on this, similar to the smooth teamwork between the Israelis and the U.S. in dropping the Suxtnet bomb into Iran's nuclear centrifuges, Jas Bond style. (I just don't see Matthew Broderick and Ally Sheedy anywhere around in this one, playing either side.)

After all the talk about nuking 'em and myriad kinds of military strikes, it's good to be reminded there's more than one way to skin a cat.

If it starts it better end quick. The American public does not have the stomach for war. As soon as the first soldier's funeral, the left will be screaming to end the war. It doesn't matter how many amazing weapons they have, the real fight is with public opinion.

You must be kidding. The US has been at war with someone my entire life. The people have become desensitized to it. If this were the case, why have the streets in the US not been filled with protesters about Iraq and Afghanistan? Even after knowing that both were started under false pretenses. No, sadly the average American is only concerned about their lot in the life, what times the football comes on the TV, if they can pay their monthly bills and if their belly is full.

western countries call that brain washing when it comes to NK, same same maybe????

western countries call that brain washing when it comes to NK, same same maybe????

I would hardly call it brain washing. It's work your butt off and enjoy life without having to worry about the basic necessities of life or things like safety, food, shelter, cars, homes, sending children to college, what wine to order with dinner, what car to drive to the Saturday social event or etc.

Brain washing is people that are starving, having xxxxxx homes, no education, no private transportation and blindly hoping that your leader has your best interst and being too scared to take a stand otherwise.

Definition of a sociopath should include a country leader that exploits the entire population under his control to live the high life and no body messes with him, yet he feels the need to go provoke somebody that can f his world and take all of that away in an instance. What a dumb arse he is.

Edited by metisdead
: Profanity

please wait so i can tune in the telly, as it will be something to watch for 5/6 mins until the yanks fry them

I am sorry to say America will not do anything. They will go to the UN and just tell the North Koreans they are sorry and give up.

Your probably right as North Korea has absolutely nothing we can use or want. If, however, they do launch a strike on South Korea, good bye Charlie. It would be a shorter war than when we drove the Iraqi's out of Kuwait. coffee1.gif

Of course it will. US would just decimate NK's millitary capabilities through the air and be done. No need to step in and stabilize NK.

Leader or no leader, NK can fend for itself. The goal is just to remove their ability to harm others. That can be accomplished expeditiously and without on solider on the ground. Completely different scenario here compared to Iraq et al.

Rubbish, if it came to war their would be a massive refugee issue for both China & South Korea/US to manage. US analysis has estimated approx 3 million refugees.

Edited by simple1

Rubbish, if it came to war their would be a massive refugee issue for both China & South Korea/US to manage. US analysis has estimated approx 3 million refugees.

---------------------

Uhm, removing their millitary power in 24 to 48 hours, absent ground invasion which will never happen, is not war leading to 3 million refugees. War is what happens if US doesn't intervene and just level their military capability in an instant.

Haha, can hardly wait to hear what else you gotta say about this with your anti US pro Muslim mentality hidden by a charade of rationalization and intellectual dishonesty.

At least don't be dishonest. My point was that US can take out NK military capability in 24 to 48 hours and probably take out fat boy quicker than that because he is not as smart as UBL and his progeny.

3 million refugee crap is the kind of bs thrown out by those that try and sway opinion against doing what is right and letting whack jobs pose threats to a higher order.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

please wait so i can tune in the telly, as it will be something to watch for 5/6 mins until the yanks fry them

I am sorry to say America will not do anything. They will go to the UN and just tell the North Koreans they are sorry and give up.

Uhm, removing their millitary power in 24 to 48 hours, absent ground invasion which will never happen, is not war leading to 3 million refugees. Haha, can hardly wait to hear what else you gotta say about this.

Even if solely an air attack you do not believe that China and US allies will take of responsibility for North Koreans internally displaced and refugees crossing the border into South Korea - wrong.

Wasn't my analysis, from the ex head of US Special Forces operations for AsiaPac and previous commander of the US 1st Special Forces Group. He estimated of the 600k troops North Korean stationed near the border around 150k would be able to penetrate South Korean defenses in the first 1/2 days. Went on to say counter attack effort would take around one week to neutralise, but one of the major issue will be resolving civilian internal displacement and refugees from North Korea (est 3m civilians). As already stated planning for US/S.Korean Special forces allegedly in place to take control of the launch facilities and other major military facilities.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9296587/US-special-forces-parachuted-into-North-Korea.html

Edited by simple1

Even if solely an air attack you do not believe that China and US allies will take of responsibility for North Koreans internally displaced and refugees crossing the border into South Korea - wrong.

Wasn't my analysis, from the ex head of US Special Forces operations for AsiaPac and previous commander of the US 1st Special Forces Group. He estimated of the 600k troops North Korean stationed near the border around 150k would be able to penetrate South Korean defenses in the first 1/2 days. Went on to say counter attack effort would take around one week to neutralise, but one of the major issue will be resolving civilian internal displacement and refugees from North Korea (est 3m civilians). As already stated planning for US/S.Korean Special forces allegedly in place to take control of the launch facilities and other major military facilities.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9296587/US-special-forces-parachuted-into-North-Korea.html

Rubbish. We could hit their front lines so hard they would be running home for momma. Again, you just spew more bs similar to that the NK whack job relies upon to act like a fool in hopes that US or anyone would be paralyzed or impotent to act due to refugees or concerns about China or nuclear fallout.

People like you obviously prefer to have clowns like NK powers leveling threats against countries trying to live in a civilized manner rather than ridding the world of such problems.

The real issue is simply that the US views this fool as a joke, but as soon he he poses any real threat he is done. End of story.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

Rubbish. We could hit their front lines so hard they would be running home for momma. Again, you just spew more bs similar to that the NK whack job relies upon to act like a fool in hopes that US or anyone would be paralyzed or impotent to act due to refugees or concerns about China or nuclear fallout.

Clowns like you obviously prefer to have clowns like NK powers leveling threats against countries trying to live in a civilized manner rather than ridding the world of such problems.

The real issue is simply that the US views this fool as a joke, but as soon he he poses any real threat he is done. End of story.

The alleged bullshit is from an ex US Special Forces brigadier general, detail at:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2013/0329/North-Korea-What-happens-if-Kim-Jong-un-acts-on-his-threats

Clowns like you obviously prefer to have clowns like NK powers leveling threats against countries trying to live in a civilized manner rather than ridding the world of such problems.

The alleged bullshit is from an ex US Special Forces brigadier general, detail at:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2013/0329/North-Korea-What-happens-if-Kim-Jong-un-acts-on-his-threats

The net has stories of alien abduction and big foot humped my dog on the net also. I guess you believe those as well since they are on the Internet.

Frankly, your posts are of someone who does not seem to have a faintest cluerolleyes.gif

US and UN has had years to do something about NK but could not.

Nothing has changed this time round. Yes military strike is the only option, but rest assured it is not easy.

One fact alone that you actually believe that US can neutralize 1.2 million men army, shows your total lack of common sense on the matter.

The fact that you do not even grasp the proximity of South Korea and consequences of aerial bombardment is a clear indication that you either need to educate yourself or stop posting rubbish.

Yes NK may well have outdated military and everything else, however they still posses nukes, still have million men army, still have the artillery and still led by delusional regime.

Yep, your message is no different than terrorists and whack jobs that think they cando and act as they wish because the world is impotent to deal with them do to politics and perceived back lashes.

News for you sonny, those days are passing us by. US has shown it is not afraid to do what it has to do to neutralize threats. Up until now, NK has been little more than a joke and not a legitimate threat. Once they cross that line, they will be dealt with swiftly and efficiently.

NK does not have any complicating factors such as oil or threats to Israel. Not much to keep us from leveling them is becomes necessary.

Edited by F430murci

Frankly, your posts are of someone who does not seem to have a faintest cluerolleyes.gif

US and UN has had years to do something about NK but could not.

Nothing has changed this time round. Yes military strike is the only option, but rest assured it is not easy.

One fact alone that you actually believe that US can neutralize 1.2 million men army, shows your total lack of common sense on the matter.

The fact that you do not even grasp the proximity of South Korea and consequences of aerial bombardment is a clear indication that you either need to educate yourself or stop posting rubbish.

Yes NK may well have outdated military and everything else, however they still posses nukes, still have million men army, still have the artillery and still led by delusional regime.

Yep, your message is no different than terrorists and whack jobs that think they cando and act as they wish because the world is impotent to deal with them do to politics and perceived back lashes.

News for you sonny, those days are passing us by. US has shown it is not afraid to do what it has to do to neutralize threats. Up until now, NK has been little more than a joke and not a legitimate threat. Once they cross that line, they will be dealt with swiftly and efficiently.

NK does not have any complicating factors such as oil or threats to Israel. Not much to keep us from leveling them is becomes necessary.

Please stop with the nonsensebah.gif

US did really well in Pakistan, Afghanistan last time around and this time around, Vietnam, Iraq.

Its just a walk in the parkblink.png

Again, completely different scenarios because US tries to stabilize those areas due to politics, oil, Israel or you name it. The US cares little about NK and will neutralize if it has to.

Matters little what you or I think, dude in NK is a dumb butt that has it pretty well, but is about to be no more. We can can debate all you want. Won't change reality and your unfortunate issues.

North Korea (the military) has everything to lose and just like the Burmese junta they live a grand life whilst the rest of the country struggle. Somehow, I don't think they have anything to gain, most NK's probably have no idea what is going on. I think it's another bluff game to get a pay off. As for those saying IF NK start something it will be game over, would do well to look at all the other 'game over' wars and how they are doing.

• Like 2

The truth is you guys have more skin in the game if things go south than I. I live in US and can sleep great at night, but NK could really cause problems for everyone in SE Asia.

I will be in Russia for 30 days in July and Thailand for 30 days in August so I do hope this gets sorted out as I don't want to put my family in the muddle of some bs. I also hope it gets sorted out for those of you that live in SE Asia because it is some ridiculous bs.