Have Passport. Need To Travel More.

market trader

The wife and I have finally decided that we can't take it with us when we expire so we need to start travelling a lot. We are booked to go to Australia at the end of June but that's a long way off. So we are looking at either Japan, Korea or Viet Nam. For 2 or 3 weeks at the end of April early May. We have never been to any of these countries before so don't know which one we should choose first.The wife thinks Korea and I think Japan. We are hoping that someone on this forum who has been to all of these countries can provide us with some guidance.

I have never been to any of them but I have been to Bali and I loved it. It would be a nice place to stay for awhile on your way to Australia.

On a side note I commend you for your thinking.

Geez Dolly now you have me thinking.Bali would be nice. But the instant that I read Bali my mind went to Tahiti considering that I come from the part of Canada that is French speaking language would be no problem.

Not mentioned by you, maybe for obvious reasons, but the GF and I are currently in Cambodia and liking it a lot.

There's also a noticeable French (including language) influence here.

Out of the three countries that you mentioned, Vietnam is the only one on our short term radar, but that's down to personal preference.

The wife and I have finally decided that we can't take it with us when we expire so we need to start travelling a lot. We are booked to go to Australia at the end of June but that's a long way off. So we are looking at either Japan, Korea or Viet Nam. For 2 or 3 weeks at the end of April early May. We have never been to any of these countries before so don't know which one we should choose first.The wife thinks Korea and I think Japan. We are hoping that someone on this forum who has been to all of these countries can provide us with some guidance.

Japan, one of the nicest countries I've ever visited. Stay in some smaller cozier area in Tokyo, avoid Roppongi, and get the one or two week train pass for domestic use and visit Osaka and Kyoto also.

Seriously, Japan beats Korea a thousand times over. I found Seoul very overrated and Koreans were not very welcoming in the big cities. In Japan the people are very kind and nice to us on our stay. And April the cherry blossom season so it's fun to drink a cold beer and eat smoked turkey in the park.

Japan, one of the nicest countries I've ever visited. Stay in some smaller cozier area in Tokyo, avoid Roppongi, and get the one or two week train pass for domestic use and visit Osaka and Kyoto also.

Seriously, Japan beats Korea a thousand times over. I found Seoul very overrated and Koreans were not very welcoming in the big cities. In Japan the people are very kind and nice to us on our stay. And April the cherry blossom season so it's fun to drink a cold beer and eat smoked turkey in the park.

Your comments are exactly what I thought. Thanks

Not mentioned by you, maybe for obvious reasons, but the GF and I are currently in Cambodia and liking it a lot.

There's also a noticeable French (including language) influence here.

Out of the three countries that you mentioned, Vietnam is the only one on our short term radar, but that's down to personal preference.

You know... How stupid I am and can be. Never thought of Cambodia for the French influence. Even Laos big French influence. Both of these countries just a couple of hours by air from Chiang Mai. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Not mentioned by you, maybe for obvious reasons, but the GF and I are currently in Cambodia and liking it a lot.There's also a noticeable French (including language) influence here.Out of the three countries that you mentioned, Vietnam is the only one on our short term radar, but that's down to personal preference.You know... How stupid I am and can be. Never thought of Cambodia for the French influence. Even Laos big French influence. Both of these countries just a couple of hours by air from Chiang Mai. Thanks for opening my eyes.

No worries! Yes I enjoyed Laos very much a few years ago when I was there.

CM direct to Laos, or only a couple of hours to Cambodia via BKK, all very easy.

I have never been to either Korea or Japan. When I saw the origanal post my preference would most certainly have been Japan,

I know the OP is not going to take it with him but I was wondering about the cost in Japan, I had heard it was very expensive and was thinking for the same cost the OP might be able to visit two countries. Again I am just repeating what I had heard I most assuredly could be wrong I would like to know the facts as from all I have heard it is a nice country to visit and the people are much friendlier than Korea.

Just as a side note it is not to hard to get around in Bali with English. It was kind of funny the few times I was having a little trouble communicating with a clerk they would just ignore me and start talking to my wife and she would just look at them and say I Thai.

One other thing I don't know what passport the OPs wife carries if it is Thai she will have no problem in Asia. Western countries can be a different story.

I have never been to either Korea or Japan. When I saw the origanal post my preference would most certainly have been Japan,

I know the OP is not going to take it with him but I was wondering about the cost in Japan, I had heard it was very expensive and was thinking for the same cost the OP might be able to visit two countries. Again I am just repeating what I had heard I most assuredly could be wrong I would like to know the facts as from all I have heard it is a nice country to visit and the people are much friendlier than Korea.

Just as a side note it is not to hard to get around in Bali with English. It was kind of funny the few times I was having a little trouble communicating with a clerk they would just ignore me and start talking to my wife and she would just look at them and say I Thai.

One other thing I don't know what passport the OPs wife carries if it is Thai she will have no problem in Asia. Western countries can be a different story.

Japan wasn't cheap but most of your costs will go to hotel, I found a good enclave near akihabara that had a nice double bed for 70USD, great amenities and close to train and subway- best to look at reviews on tripadvisor as places vary and ALL are tiny. You can eat very cheap or very expensive depending on where you go. A lot of places outside tourist areas people don't speak English but you can always get by with sign language - some of the best food, sushi, was in places with no foreigners, English menus or pictures!

Korea was quite pricey, great beer and soju culture and fun parties, very high tech and poppy, drinking with college students and "Farang" lovers was fun but sadly the US military personnel have likely spoiled it a bit as many places are not white people friendly. Not much a fan of the food though. In general, felt like people there don't like anyone outside Koreans. Maybe it was just our experience.

If you are on a strict budget however I would not recommend Korea or Japan because it will take away from the experience and will not be pleasant especially if you are traveling with company.

I agree with iluvbeaches. Japan truly is one of the nicest countries you will ever go to.

My ex and I did a 3 week trip there in 2006 and it was amazing. Also, 3 weeks will allow you to see from the north around Nagano to the south to Miyajima/Hiroshima (if you go, please don't miss this place)/Kyoto. There are also some little towns along the way between the south and the north that are worth a day or two just becuse they are so Japanese.

As noted, Japan is not a cheap place but it can be a less expensive place. And as of the last few weeks, the yen is getting a bit weaker so your money will go a bit farther.

If you decide on Japan, let me know and I'll pass on what information I have that might be of use to you.

David

I agree with iluvbeaches. Japan truly is one of the nicest countries you will ever go to.

My ex and I did a 3 week trip there in 2006 and it was amazing. Also, 3 weeks will allow you to see from the north around Nagano to the south to Miyajima/Hiroshima (if you go, please don't miss this place)/Kyoto. There are also some little towns along the way between the south and the north that are worth a day or two just becuse they are so Japanese.

As noted, Japan is not a cheap place but it can be a less expensive place. And as of the last few weeks, the yen is getting a bit weaker so your money will go a bit farther.

If you decide on Japan, let me know and I'll pass on what information I have that might be of use to you.

David

Totally forgot to mention that, what David said, Hiroshima was one of the saddest but most memorable places along the way. You could do the bullet train to Kyoto or Osaka, continue to Hiroshima and then on the way back stop at one of the other cities.

Stayed two weeks myself and could have easily stayed three. Go for the Sakura!

Japan wasn't cheap but most of your costs will go to hotel, I found a good enclave near akihabara that had a nice double bed for 70USD, great amenities and close to train and subway- best to look at reviews on tripadvisor as places vary and ALL are tiny. You can eat very cheap or very expensive depending on where you go. A lot of places outside tourist areas people don't speak English but you can always get by with sign language - some of the best food, sushi, was in places with no foreigners, English menus or pictures!

Korea was quite pricey, great beer and soju culture and fun parties, very high tech and poppy, drinking with college students and "Farang" lovers was fun but sadly the US military personnel have likely spoiled it a bit as many places are not white people friendly. Not much a fan of the food though. In general, felt like people there don't like anyone outside Koreans. Maybe it was just our experience.

If you are on a strict budget however I would not recommend Korea or Japan because it will take away from the experience and will not be pleasant especially if you are traveling with company.

Thank you for the information. If I was to go it would be for sure with out the wife she is a real pain to travel with when it comes to food and she definatly dosen't like Japanese food.

Don't know if your flights to Australia are booked. If not you could consider flying from Chiang Mai to Oz via Singapore with Singapore Airlines. I am going that way myself at the beginning of June.

Have a mini break of a couple of days in Singapore, lovely place, tea at Raffles that sort of thing.

Flight times and layovers are good and you don't touch Bangkok.

There's plenty to see in Oz. Just remember it's Autumn now, winter coming on, so choose your destination with care and pack a jacket, apart from North Queensland or Darwin.

Nth Queensland in Winter is great, (25C) and that's the starting point for the Great Barrier Reef, Daintree rainforest, nice beaches.

I found Bali a bit boring after 2 days.

I picked up all the brochures I could find went through them all and made a list of places I wanted to see. So far I have managed to see half of them and that was done by hiring a car and giving the driver the list so he could make the shortest routes possible. Total of two days of solid touring no break.

There is just some thing about Bali I know many people that feel that way about it kind of like a feeling of peace. Also a lot don't feel that but they still enjoy Bali.

• Like 1

The Cherry blossoms are in bloom right now in Japan, and walking down any street is a delight. If I were planning a week's vacation, I'd pick Kyoto as THE place to stay, and stay at the Japan Youth Hostel in the northern part of the city. It looks and feels like a three star hotel, but without the cost, is within walking distance of several of the most famous temples in Japan, and is 'user friendly.' You can easily spend 3-4 full days exploring the sights of Kyoto (I'm IN Kyoto right now, taking photos of the Cherry Blossoms,) and a full day in Nara, which is not to be missed. Spend a day visiting Osaka and Osaka Castle, then take the Shinkansen (the Bullet Train) down to Hiroshima for two days. You will have 'experienced' what Japan is really about, without having to deal with the insanity of Tokyo. When you are in the middle of the city, Tokyo feels and looks exactly like Osaka, or even Hiroshima for that matter. They are all 'new' cities. Kyoto still has its 'Old Japan' feel to it, as does Nara.

Korea is interesting and the food is fantastic, but if the choice has to be made between the two, Japan really is prettier.

I picked up all the brochures I could find went through them all and made a list of places I wanted to see. So far I have managed to see half of them and that was done by hiring a car and giving the driver the list so he could make the shortest routes possible. Total of two days of solid touring no break.

There is just some thing about Bali I know many people that feel that way about it kind of like a feeling of peace. Also a lot don't feel that but they still enjoy Bali.

I think Bali is the most beautiful country I've ever visited, and certainly one of the most interesting culturally. We also hire a car and driver for our vacations there as it's so cheap. We like to spend 2-3 days in Ubud getting emersed in the cultural side of the Balinese, then 2-3 days exploring the central highlands, doing some light trekking (on jeep roads) through the spectacular rice growing region, white-water rafting, etc., just getting a bit of 'nature,' then moving to the coast (far away from Kuta Beach!!!) on the north east side of the island for a few days of scuba diving before heading back to Denpasar and the airport. I've never met a country with people as friendly as the Balinese. They smile just as much as the Thai, and actually mean it!

Don't know if your flights to Australia are booked. If not you could consider flying from Chiang Mai to Oz via Singapore with Singapore Airlines. I am going that way myself at the beginning of June.

Have a mini break of a couple of days in Singapore, lovely place, tea at Raffles that sort of thing.

Flight times and layovers are good and you don't touch Bangkok.

We are booked and that's exactly how we've booked Air Singapore with a 2 day layover in Singapore.

The Cherry blossoms are in bloom right now in Japan, and walking down any street is a delight. If I were planning a week's vacation, I'd pick Kyoto as THE place to stay, and stay at the Japan Youth Hostel in the northern part of the city. It looks and feels like a three star hotel, but without the cost, is within walking distance of several of the most famous temples in Japan, and is 'user friendly.' You can easily spend 3-4 full days exploring the sights of Kyoto (I'm IN Kyoto right now, taking photos of the Cherry Blossoms,) and a full day in Nara, which is not to be missed. Spend a day visiting Osaka and Osaka Castle, then take the Shinkansen (the Bullet Train) down to Hiroshima for two days. You will have 'experienced' what Japan is really about, without having to deal with the insanity of Tokyo. When you are in the middle of the city, Tokyo feels and looks exactly like Osaka, or even Hiroshima for that matter. They are all 'new' cities. Kyoto still has its 'Old Japan' feel to it, as does Nara.

Korea is interesting and the food is fantastic, but if the choice has to be made between the two, Japan really is prettier.

From the answers it seems that the choice is easy. Japan. The word youth hostel doesn't conjure up the image of a 3 star hotel in my mind.

I think Bali is the most beautiful country I've ever visited, and certainly one of the most interesting culturally. We also hire a car and driver for our vacations there as it's so cheap. We like to spend 2-3 days in Ubud getting emersed in the cultural side of the Balinese, then 2-3 days exploring the central highlands, doing some light trekking (on jeep roads) through the spectacular rice growing region, white-water rafting, etc., just getting a bit of 'nature,' then moving to the coast (far away from Kuta Beach!!!) on the north east side of the island for a few days of scuba diving before heading back to Denpasar and the airport. I've never met a country with people as friendly as the Balinese. They smile just as much as the Thai, and actually mean it!

No surfing?biggrin.png

Recently traveled to Burma/Myanmar, and wow it was gorgeous. Go now before it gets built up into a touristy place like Thailand.

Look at Pagan/Bagan, Inle Lake, and Ngapali beach. I spent 3 weeks there and it was just not enough.

On a side note, I spent the last week in Nepal, Nepal was incredibly smoggy, dirty, poor, etc inside the cities. But outside the cities while trekking it was very different. I don't know your age, but I saw many people in their mid 50-60's doing these treks, and many others who when you looked at them physically, you would not expect them to do it.

If I could find the time, I would love to travel across Cambodia, to Ho Chi Minh, up to Hanoi, over the Luang Prabong and down through the golden triangle and back to CM. Maybe then down to Penang/KL Singapore and over to Indonesia.

Good luck with all your planning! If you are happy with each other's company, you can make any place fun, exciting, and special!

• Like 1

From the answers it seems that the choice is easy. Japan. The word youth hostel doesn't conjure up the image of a 3 star hotel in my mind.

Don't confuse Japanese Youth Hostels with Chiang Mai 'Guest Houses.' They are NOT even remotely similar. Here's a photo of the lounge in the Kyoto hostel. Another of the exterior. Some Japanese hostels have hot springs, many have private rooms for families, most offer more hotel-like services than many hotels in Chiang Mai! And... they are cheap! They just aren't as many of them. Certain areas have more, some locations have none, but they are all clean, neat, well appointed, serve food and beverages, etc., etc.

Edited by FolkGuitar