Murder Suspect Escapes To Sweden

PoorSucker

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens if he is not extradited Sweden to Thailand?

Is there going to be a trial without him and then the sentence information from Thai court is given to Swedish authorities, who will put the boy to the prison for a few years?

Or is he a free man?

if he's guilty no doubt he will go to gaol. I seem to remember lot of conflicting stories when this case first hit the headlines. Fleeing may not be a sign of guilt [though it could be I agree], but rather a fear that is not going to get a fair trial. I'm not saying he wouldn't have but not sure what I would do in his position. Edited by Bluespunk

rolleyes.gif If you read the post you will see that he had the obvious aid of his family.

His mother reported the other son's passport as lost.

His brother agreed with that.

It is not unexpected for the mother to want to protect and help her son. That is instinct and to be expected of the mother.

Irregardless of the fact that the fugitive is a wanted killer, he is also her son ..... and maternal bonds are probably her first concern.

But I doubt that she did this herself .... her family was also involved in the plan and aided the mother.

As for the iinsurgents .... i suspect they are aways in need of money ... and the family probably gave them that.

Family ties were more important for them than anything else.

If you remember the story originally, it was a Misha mash of crime of passion, betrayal and fighting with another Thai boyfriend.

Hardly a cut and died murder.

The guy died - of knife-wounds if I remember correctly - and your writing puns ?

• Like 1

This is a tragedy for sure. Young people ruining there lives for what?

I hope we can get some more information on why Muslim "insurgents" (terrorists) are helping this family out and who in the Thai government is complicit in a murders escape. I know it is common for rich people to get bail for murder but I would "follow the money" and look at the prosecutor and police very closely, just to make sure nothing illegal on their part contributed to the escape. It may not be obvious to the police but there may have been a conspiracy carefully orchestrated by the suspect's family.

The only thing positive to come out of this is that young Mamood may have to spend the rest of his life in Sweden and will not be available to participate in the civil war in the South.

Being that the kid's last name is Mamood a Musluim name, I would suspect that possibility that he had family connections if not religious connections to the insurgents. That could explain the reason for taking that route.

So, by your logic, every Muslim has connections to the insurgents . . . and are quite happily assisted by said insurgents.

Sounds about as plausible as the Swedes helping me if I murdered a Finn because I am Lutheran . . . and everyone knows how all 1.5 billion Muslims think the same.

Now, it seems the government is even more embarrassed because a dweeby Swede managed to contact and work with insurgents that the government has been trying to find for decades

(Oh, and Malaysia - more Muslims - are complicit as well . . . damn those heathens!)

nicely put.

Nobody here knows what actually happened, IF, he was just defending himself then yeh, l would be worried about a trial in LOS and would probably do anything to disappear. BUT, l would not involve family which this guy seems to have done. The brother will probably end up worse off in the end. sad.png

Nobody here knows what actually happened, IF, he was just defending himself then yeh, l would be worried about a trial in LOS and would probably do anything to disappear. BUT, l would not involve family which this guy seems to have done. The brother will probably end up worse off in the end. sad.png

We are talking about murder, no other weapon was found at the scene. Surely the family of the murder victim are entitled for the alleged killer to be tried in court and his guilt ascertained.

IMO there's been too many of these murders by foreigners recently, only for them to skip the country, rather than facing justice. It shameful. The recent murder of the Kiwi by another Scandinavian was shocking - over an argument in a bar over a dog - ditto my countryman Mr Aldhouse - I'm looking forward to reading the latters book on his 10-15 years in Phuket prison.

We are talking about murder, no other weapon was found at the scene. Surely the family of the murder victim are entitled for the alleged killer to be tried in court and his guilt ascertained.

IMO there's been too many of these murders by foreigners recently, only for them to skip the country, rather than facing justice. It shameful. The recent murder of the Kiwi by another Scandinavian was shocking - over an argument in a bar over a dog - ditto my countryman Mr Aldhouse - I'm looking forward to reading the latters book on his 10-15 years in Phuket prison.

Agree, BUT, we cannot see by photos here if the accused is a wimp and the diseased was a tough guy. I would have done stuff to protect MY OWN life.

rolleyes.gif If you read the post you will see that he had the obvious aid of his family.

His mother reported the other son's passport as lost.

His brother agreed with that.

It is not unexpected for the mother to want to protect and help her son. That is instinct and to be expected of the mother.

Irregardless of the fact that the fugitive is a wanted killer, he is also her son ..... and maternal bonds are probably her first concern.

But I doubt that she did this herself .... her family was also involved in the plan and aided the mother.

As for the iinsurgents .... i suspect they are aways in need of money ... and the family probably gave them that.

Family ties were more important for them than anything else.

If you remember the story originally, it was a Misha mash of crime of passion, betrayal and fighting with another Thai boyfriend.

Hardly a cut and died murder.

The guy died - of knife-wounds if I remember correctly - and your writing puns ?

Spelling mistake. Phone keyboard.

Like at least one other poster, I doubt very much this kid was aided by the insurgents. He is most likely a Muslim and it was probably with the help of Muslim connections (and money) in the South that he was helped to get out of the country. It could have been insurgents, it could have criminal gangs, it could have been some people sympathetic to his cause. The connections could have also been made outside of Thailand first.

Agree, BUT, we cannot see by photos here if the accused is a wimp and the diseased was a tough guy. I would have done stuff to protect MY OWN life.

I imagine the only way the facts are going to come is through a trial.

I can't remember all of the details from the reports at the time, but I don't think the accused had a mark on him.

I hope they will send him back. I don't get it that the Swedish Embassy provided a new passport. It should be investigated why they cooperated so easily. Yeah go to Thailand, commit a murder and then get protected by your Swedish government authorities of being sentenced.

Fantastic country Sweden, high moral.

bah.gif

• Like 2

Give bail to suspected murderers and they flee, duh. Didn't even need a passport there are other ways.

They gave bail and

Give bail to suspected murderers and they flee, duh. Didn't even need a passport there are other ways.

They gave bail and concessions to a major tax avoider , human rights violator so why not a murderer Edited by chainarong
  • Like 1

I can't remember all of the details from the reports at the time, but I don't think the accused had a mark on him.

I wouldn't have had a mark on me either, ONCE l had read the situation. For certain l would not wait to be injured just to be given the green light to do something.

What happens if he is not extradited Sweden to Thailand?

Is there going to be a trial without him and then the sentence information from Thai court is given to Swedish authorities, who will put the boy to the prison for a few years?

Or is he a free man?

if he's guilty no doubt he will go to gaol. I seem to remember lot of conflicting stories when this case first hit the headlines. Fleeing may not be a sign of guilt [though it could be I agree], but rather a fear that is not going to get a fair trial. I'm not saying he wouldn't have but not sure what I would do in his position.

I was thinking more in general way. What happens if an person who is accused of an crime in country A which could result death sentence there, escapes to a home country B which will not allow their citizen to be extradited to a back to country A in case of capital punishment.

The reason I as this is following:

A person commits series of robberies, which would result 20 years in prison in Thailand. He escapes back to Sweden, which extradites the person back to Thailand to face justice and pretty awful prison time.

Another person does the the same robberies and on to of that kills few people, which would result to an possible death penalty. Now the Swedes can not extradite the person anymore.. and the person will either walk free or will suffer his shorter sentence in Swedish prison, which is far more human way to spend the time.

-> More severe crimes, less harsh penalty.

Contingency of this idea is that the first person, who only did the robberies, says back in Sweden that he was involved in a murder and therefore can not be extradited to Thailand.

It is a bit funny how people interpet the same story and leave out or add what suits them. I would recommend that a few posters here go back and re-read the OP.But the family pulled a very good scam on the Swedes as well as Thai Immigration to get their son out of Thailand

Thai immigration yes. Swedes, probably no. I would guess they were fully aware of the situation.

By the time Sweden embassy was involved, they had to get the brother of the murder suspect out of the country. I believe that is their duty.

1. And if there is no proof or even suspicion that the younger brother gave his elder brother his passport (i.e. the older stole his younger brothers passport), then it would seem the younger brother has not committed any crime and the Swedish embassy no has reason to not issue him a new pasport so he can return home and the Thai police have no valid reason to hold the younger.

2. Are photos and real faces nowadays checked by new hi-tech processes? If not, and if there is strong rsesemlence of the two faces, then surely it wouldn't be difficult to get past passport control in many countries. Remembering also that passport officers are under some pressure to keep the line moving.

• Like 1

I discard the 'hidden by insurgents' bull....he crossed the border with his bros' passport....easy and simple

Exactly, for what reason is there to believe that insurgents were involved at all, to get him accross border into malaysia?? So if you are suspected of murder all they did was take his passport away? Dont blame him for not wanting to go to a thai prison but has the Swedish Police tracked him down & picked him up yet???

• Like 1

This is a tragedy for sure. Young people ruining there lives for what?

I hope we can get some more information on why Muslim "insurgents" (terrorists) are helping this family out and who in the Thai government is complicit in a murders escape. I know it is common for rich people to get bail for murder but I would "follow the money" and look at the prosecutor and police very closely, just to make sure nothing illegal on their part contributed to the escape. It may not be obvious to the police but there may have been a conspiracy carefully orchestrated by the suspect's family.

The only thing positive to come out of this is that young Mamood may have to spend the rest of his life in Sweden and will not be available to participate in the civil war in the South.

Being that the kid's last name is Mamood a Musluim name, I would suspect that possibility that he had family connections if not religious connections to the insurgents. That could explain the reason for taking that route.

So, by your logic, every Muslim has connections to the insurgents . . . and are quite happily assisted by said insurgents.

Sounds about as plausible as the Swedes helping me if I murdered a Finn because I am Lutheran . . . and everyone knows how all 1.5 billion Muslims think the same.

Now, it seems the government is even more embarrassed because a dweeby Swede managed to contact and work with insurgents that the government has been trying to find for decades

(Oh, and Malaysia - more Muslims - are complicit as well . . . damn those heathens!)

Things can be pretty complicated in this area. Muslims have a much stronger sense of shared identify than do Lutherans for example. That's why when something happens in Palestine, people come out on the streets in Jakarta and KL.

A good friend of mine is a Bosnian Muslim ... looks more typically European than Mr Mamood here. He chose to go to university in Malaysia of all places. Why? Because it's a Muslim country and they were very welcoming to Bosnians during the Yugoslav Wars... that says a lot right there. He told me that the Muslim Malaysians treated him just like a 'brother Malay' ,,, he was explicitly told this numerous times. He was a 'brother' who would get whatever help he needed... but Malaysian Chinese and Indians were 'the other' and were kept at a distance. They could look after themselves...

Now the insurgents in the South consider themselves to be at war with the Thai-Buddhist State, so this sense of us-vs-them may even be stronger. Yes, they are just as likely to kill fellow Muslims as they are to kill Buddhists, etc. But it's usually those they consider collaborators (those who cooperate with the Thai State). It's not impossible that Mr Mamood could present himself as a fellow Muslim being persecuted by Thai/Buddhist authorities and thereby get some assistance. A bit of a stretch, but not impossible...

From my brief reading of this it sounds as if it was not a deliberate first degree murder, more a crime of passion, which while serious would be unlikely to lead to anything as drastic as death or life penalty in most countries. I think that I could understand the boys family getting him out to country where his age and circumstances of the crime are taken into account - they would probably be worried that as a foreigner he would get harsher treatment in Thailand. None of us know the exact circumstances whether the boy is a "baddun" or whether it was a case of an equal blame fight between two guys that went sadly wrong. I am not sure that Thai law would distinguish between those and if that were the case and he was my son I would do exactly the same thing. In the UK and I guess in Sweden any trial would take into account the young mans previous background and the likelihood of him intentionally taking someone's life.

Edited by metisdead
: Font

Who in there right mind would travel to Narathiwat province, much easier to cross from Satun province on the boat.

It's a very dangerous area.

The province has police/army stops that compare to say somewhere like

Iran.

When the deputy prime minster's son did this trip it was a long time ago

and much easier to get away with then, and he went across through the

jungle.

He would stick out like a sore thumb as no other white people in the

area, who in there right mind would do this.

Classic bullxxxx story, hard ever to know the truth, but it sounds like a

story designed too _________

I wish I could say

So... what are the police/army stops like in Iran? There may be ThaiVisa members going there in the near future. I'm sure we would all like to know how to prepare for a police/army stop there. Do they give you coffee or mint tea while you're being questioned?

The text in the OP is a translation of an article in a Swedish daily newspaper. This may explain why neither the name nor the nationality Jonis Mamood's girlfriend is given and no speculation is made about the possibility of her having helped with his escape fro Thailand. I wonder whether Thai newspapers will follow up on this story.

I presume if Thailand were to promise that there would be no death sentence and assurance on a fair trial there would be no problem in extraditing him back.

Thailand is returning Annétthe Zettergren.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/628470-swedish-politician-arrested-in-thailand/

Surprised the BiB did not give the family a good grilling to see if they would crack and implicate them selfs.

I wouldn't have had a mark on me either, ONCE l had read the situation. For certain l would not wait to be injured just to be given the green light to do something.

Would you stab someone to death - as the escapee is alleged to have done - if you suspected that person intended to harm you ? I'm not sure I would, but I've never been there (I once had a bar-girl slap me though) .

Plus, the fact that this guy's been involved in skipping-bail and passport fraud (fairly serious offence these days) isn't going to do him any favours if this ever comes to court. Wonder if the Swedish authorities will welcome him home ?