Murder Suspect Escapes To Sweden

PoorSucker

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 18-year-old is unlikely to be extradited to Thailand because of the death penalty.

Let's see is Sweden does a better job than the UK re: Lee Aldhouse.

I don't see why he will not be extradited, just as Lee Aldhouse was. He'll be back.

What if he didn't return to Sweden but went to some place like Iran instead. Then, he's gone forever.

The OP clearly states he went back to Sweden.

Yeah, blame it on insurgents, willya? The more the government likes to do this, the more I wonder if the "insurgents" are right about government troops killing people (rather than the "insurgents"). I vaguely remember a news article from the BBC that gave a chilling thought from the "other perspective".

• Like 1

I discard the 'hidden by insurgents' bull....he crossed the border with his bros' passport....easy and simple

But using this kind of talk does make him look worse and might help in getting him back.... but remember what we are reading is a bad translation.

• Like 1

Seems hard to fathom that muder suspects can so easily leave the country. It appears to happen fairly regularly e.g. the suspected murderer of a Kiwi in a bar on Soi Diana in Pattaya.

Lets hope the Swede's will send him straight back to face a Thai court and in future the Thai authorities will impose higher bail guarantees for those deemed a flight risk.

Sweden should be able to extradite him, if Thailand's Attorney General can guarantee that he will not request the death penalty. That is standard procedure and the Swedes know they could rely on that because Thailand is not interested in executing foreigners from developed countries.

• Like 1

I just can't believe how badly written this article is. Surely this can't have been written by a native English speaker?

The OP is a translation from Swedish. Did you read the original?

Source: translated from Aftonbladet --2013-03-31

Well, it works for Thai murderers to get to Cambodia, so why is anyone surprised about a foreigner doing a runner.

Of course, the next question, is why bail murderers;?

Last week there was an article praising Immigration for stopping wanted fugitives on arrival but departure is an entirely different matter

If it were me, rather than kill the other guy, I would have simply walked away because for one the girl had actually contacted the guy to meet him in person, she wasn't even very subtle about it either, I mean she let them meet face to face and another reason the girl is not really worth killing anybody over, has anyone seen the picture? Why would anybody get jealous to the point of stabbing somebody to death? Even the Thai guy, what was going through his head to start a fight in the first place?

Well, it works for Thai murderers to get to Cambodia, so why is anyone surprised about a foreigner doing a runner.

Why not, if they aren't a flight risk?

It is a bit funny how people interpet the same story and leave out or add what suits them. I would recommend that a few posters here go back and re-read the OP.But the family pulled a very good scam on the Swedes as well as Thai Immigration to get their son out of Thailand

Precisely dear Watson. Important to remember rule to only believe half of what we see, none of what we're told or read and always consider motive. (How's that for native english)

It is a bit funny how people interpet the same story and leave out or add what suits them. I would recommend that a few posters here go back and re-read the OP.But the family pulled a very good scam on the Swedes as well as Thai Immigration to get their son out of Thailand

Precisely dear Watson. Important to remember rule to only believe half of what we see, none of what we're told or read and always consider motive. (How's that for native english)

What scam what carried out on the Swedish Embassy? The Embassy was fully aware that the son's passport was utilized by someone to cross the border into Malaysia. They had no choice but to issue a replacement passport for a Swedish citizen whilst overseas, even if fraudulently reported lost/stolen. Thai Immigration were aware of the circumstances, but did not hinder him to travel on the replacement passport nor apparently interview him or the father to ascertain if an illegal activity took place (assisting the brother/son to abscond whilst on bail).

BTW From a previous English language report "the Court decided a bail on 30.000 baht, which indicates, that the court believe the Swede's explanation, that the killing was done in self-defense".

It's a real challenge to believe this newspaper report, has their been any follow up reports in any other media? You would think, if true, the father/son would be interviewed by media upon arrival at the airport in Sweden.

Edited by simple1

This seems to have been a well planned escape. In a continuing article from Aftonbladet (a swedish online news agency) he was scheduled to appear in court on the 13th of March but failed to show. It was reported that he left the country on the 12th of March using his brother's passport.

This article was written prior to the OP's article and does state the fugitive "according to unconfirmed reports" MAY be back in Sweden.

So the family fly in shortly before the trial. The younger brother's passport is reported stolen. They proceed to the Swedish Embassy to get a new passport only to find that the passport has already being used and the "person" has left Thailand. So the Embassy issues a new passport which is not a problem. But did the younger brother have to file a police report in getting a new passport. Not Sure as I have never "lost" my passport in Thailand before. I needed a police report to get a new bank book when I lost it, but I guess it is a more valuable document than a passport.

The spokesperson for the MFA has relayed this information.

Thai authorities stated that he left the country on 12 March, says Anna Buhre Kervefors.

According to unconfirmed information to Aftonbladet, the young man now be back in Sweden.

What scam what carried out on the Swedish Embassy? The Embassy was fully aware that the son's passport was utilized by someone to cross the border into Malaysia. They had no choice but to issue a replacement passport for a Swedish citizen whilst overseas, even if fraudulently reported lost/stolen. Thai Immigration were aware of the circumstances, but did not hinder him to travel on the replacement passport nor apparently interview him or the father to ascertain if an illegal activity took place (assisting the brother/son to abscond whilst on bail).

BTW From a previous English language report "the Court decided a bail on 30.000 baht, which indicates, that the court believe the Swede's explanation, that the killing was done in self-defense".

It's a real challenge to believe this newspaper report, has their been any follow up reports in any other media? You would think, if true, the father/son would be interviewed by media upon arrival at the airport in Sweden.

I'm wrong confirmed by Swedish MFA, wonder if father will be charged for a false lost/stolen passport report

Edited by simple1

Who in there right mind would travel to Narathiwat province, much easier to cross from Satun province on the boat.

It's a very dangerous area.

The province has police/army stops that compare to say somewhere like

Iran.

When the deputy prime minster's son did this trip it was a long time ago

and much easier to get away with then, and he went across through the

jungle.

He would stick out like a sore thumb as no other white people in the

area, who in there right mind would do this.

Classic bullxxxx story, hard ever to know the truth, but it sounds like a

story designed too _________

I wish I could say

So... what are the police/army stops like in Iran? There may be ThaiVisa members going there in the near future. I'm sure we would all like to know how to prepare for a police/army stop there. Do they give you coffee or mint tea while you're being questioned?

I worked twice in Iran last year, the second time I was bounced all over the country and never saw a police/army checkpoint. Saw the traffic police in Tehran pull over cars in random checks but there was no roadblock. Had a few grilling's by the republican guard when flying internally but all foreigners would have had that.

UPDATE
Murder accused teen back in Sweden

BY ANDERS HOLM NIELSEN

BANGKOK: -- On March 13 a murder case with a mere 18-year-old Swede as the accused was set to start in Thailand, but the teen knifeman never appeared.

He was detained in August but was released in December after paying a 7,000 kronor bail. Swedish post Aftonbladet reports that the murder accused teen is now back in Sweden.

The young man was on a vacation in Thailand with his girlfriend. After a week in Pattaya they left for Sakaew in Eastern Thailand, which is the hometown of the girlfriend. The girlfriend introduced the Swede to a man that she had met online, an 18-year-old Thai. The two then got into a fight at a hotel room, and what seems as a love triangle gone bad ended when the 18-year-old Thai was stabbed several times, including in the neck. The Swedish teen has admitted stabbing the Thai but claims it was in self-defense.

It is rumored that the Swede who is of Iranian decent was aided in escaping by Muslim guerillas. However this has not been confirmed from any official authorities.

He escaped to Malaysia by changing his looks and using his younger brother’s passport, and Aftonbladet now reports that he is back in Sweden.

Aided by family

The father and the younger brother who was on a visit to Thailand went to the Swedish Embassy and stated that the younger brother lost his passport. The Swedish Embassy then contacted Thai Immigration Police who reported that the passport had been used two days earlier to enter Malaysia. In accordance with Swedish law a new passport was issued.

According to Aftonbladet, the 16-year-old brother immediately went back to Sweden from Thailand with his new passport and the father left shortly after.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Sweden will not comment on the case, the Ministry’s press service told Aftonbladet.

Swedish police have no comments on whether or not they have contacted Thai authority or if the suspect is wanted internationally.

It is unlikely that the 18-year-old is extradited to Thailand as there is a chance that he faces penalty of death if found guilty.

Source: Aftonbladet

Source: http://scandasia.com/murder-accused-swede-has-fled-thailand/

what a story !!! I wonder who wrote or translated that article:)

Well done for the family,,did a good job,,as for the south and insurgents help,well that is all fantasy or a face saving story , Of course Thai police and immigration do not want be seen as inept or were being easisly fooled hence blaming the south. Is it really easy for anyone to get in touch so fast and get their help and trust? cobblers

I wouldn't doubt it for a minute. Dad might have had to make more than one phone call, but fewer than five

The guy crossed over to Malaysia via an official border post - no need for any help from a militant group or for that matter anyone else

• Like 1

Why not, if they aren't a flight risk?

Because they tend to be a huge flight risk, and possibly a danger to society???????? Or witnesses? Or at danger themselves from retribution?

In terms of dangerous people, are there any more dangerous than a murderer?

• Like 1

Because he's a "suspected" murderer.

• Like 1