Thai Tax Id Number - Heads Up

Tywais

I started to submit my tax form using the online submission as I have for the last few years but my tax ID number no longer worked. The secretary checked and all foreigner tax ID numbers are now converted from 10 digit to 13 digits to match the Thai national ID number format.

Just thought others might want to know in case they find a problem submitting their taxes.

Ok I have a question which I think fits well in this topic, rather than opening a new one.

I'm on an retirement extension for a few years already, so I don't work or pay tax.

I have a yellow house book, so I have a tax id .

I always heard that foreigners can claim back taxes on certain expenses, but never could find out which taxes on which expenses.

Could anyone explain which taxes I could claim back in my situation ?

Edited by jbrain

Ok I have a question which I think fits well in this topic, rather than opening a new one.

I'm on an retirement extension for a few years already, so I don't work or pay tax.

I always heard that foreigners can claim back taxes on certain expenses, but never could find out which taxes on which expenses.

You can claim back the withholding tax charged on FTDs & (in the unlikely event) on savings accounts. Unlikely because the interest on a savings account has to go over a certain amount (can't remember how much) before w/h tax is charged.

Just go to your nearest tax office, after you get a statement of the tax from the bank. I've done it recently.

I guess it wouldn't make much sense, since you stated that you don't pay any taxes... smile.png

You can claim back the withholding tax charged on FTDs & (in the unlikely event) on savings accounts. Unlikely because the interest on a savings account has to go over a certain amount (can't remember how much) before w/h tax is charged.

Just go to your nearest tax office, after you get a statement of the tax from the bank. I've done it recently.

I heard one can claim back the VAT on a car finance. Is that correct ?

The most obvious one is tax on dividends earned from SET listed stocks. Withholding tax is deducted at a flat rate of 10% but you might be eligible for a rebate of some of that. It is a complicated formula but the less tax you pay and the more the company pays the more the rebate could be. However, since corporate tax rates have been reduced to 20% the potential for a rebate is less than it was. If you are eligible, you need to fill in a PNG 90 tax form.

The deadline is Monday 1 April. Today!

The most obvious one is tax on dividends earned from SET listed stocks. Withholding tax is deducted at a flat rate of 10% but you might be eligible for a rebate of some of that. It is a complicated formula but the less tax you pay and the more the company pays the more the rebate could be. However, since corporate tax rates have been reduced to 20% the potential for a rebate is less than it was. If you are eligible, you need to fill in a PNG 90 tax form.

Thanks for the explanation, unfortunately I don't have any stocks in the SET.

I take it that claiming back the VAT on the montly car finance payment is not possible ?

Thanks for the explanation, unfortunately I don't have any stocks in the SET.

I take it that claiming back the VAT on the montly car finance payment is not possible ?

I don't think so. The rationale behind VAT is that businesses can reclaim VAT they pay on inputs, while charging VAT onwards to their customers. Since you reclaim the VAT you paid on your inputs and charge VAT on your sales price, you have effectively created tax revenue on the value added of your product, while the end consumer cops the total amount of tax. If you are not using the car as a factor of production, you are the end consumer and pay the whole lot.

The rationale behind rebates of withholding tax is that the government charges a flat rate of withholding tax which may be too high for certain taxpayers, depending on their circumstances (and the circumstances of the withholder in the dividends example cited above). For those who understand the system and can be bothered to do the paperwork, there is a means to reclaim the surplus amount of withholding tax paid. Of course, the law of inertia dictates that the government is a winner here, as most of the excess withholding tax is never reclaimed.

Thanks, but a little bit too late:)

Anyway, this is not specific for foreigners, since most of my Thai friends at work had also their TAX-id's changed and faced this when they wanted to do the online tax filing. Even the tax-id of my work's company has changed (you need this as well to fill in somewhere).

No problem though, because when you request a new password the system has remembered info from previous tax filings (well, at least the name and address of my work). Furthermore for the first time you can do your tax filing completely in English (last 8 years I did in Thai). I have to say they did a good job with this! The forms are smart as well, since if you forgot to fill in something the message tells you exactly what you forgot.clap2.gif

Thanks, but a little bit too late:)

Not really late as you have until the 8th of April to file as the filing date had been extended this year.

This has gotten rather messy. The secretary came to me and I have to supply a copy of my passport and work permit for the tax office, same as applying for a new tax card. Also have to give them my original tax ID card. If I don't have it I will have to go to the police station and file a report and take that to the tax office. Fortunately, even though I got the card 20 years ago, I keep it with my other important documents. We have another expat researcher here who doesn't know if he still has it. smile.png

My accountant told me about the ID thing a few weeks ago. My wife needed to pay witholding tax and we just used her yellow tabieen baan ID. The computer said 'yes' and that was the end of it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Im confused,

my Thai taxpayer ID number is 13 digits: 0-XXXX-XXXXX-XX-X

my ID number in my household registration blue booklet (tabien baan) is also 13 digits but totally different: 8-ZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZ-Z

am I supposed to have two different numbers??