Phuket Wine Guru First Thai To Compete In World Wine Competition

sabaijai

Phuket Wine Guru first Thai to compete in world wine competition

Mr. Chalong Songkroh, Anantara Phuket Villas’ Wine Guru and the winner of Thailand’s Best Sommelier 2012, will be the first Thai ever to compete in The 14th Association de la Sommellerie Internationale (ASI) Contest of the Best Sommelier of the World, which is recognised as the Olympics of sommeliers, to be held in Tokyo, Japan from 26 – 30 March 2013.

Thailand has hosted the country’s Best Sommelier Competition since 2008 and each year the competition attracts over 100 wine service professionals from around the country. Mr. Chalong Songkroh, the winner of Thailand’s Best Sommelier 2012, is the first Thai sommelier to be chosen to represent Thailand for this particular worldwide competition.

The Contest of the Best Sommelier of the World was founded in June 1969 in Reims, France by the non-profit organisation Association de la Sommellerie Internationale (ASI), with the aim of bringing together and promoting one national sommelier association per country.

The competition, which takes place every three years in one of the ASI member countries that has been authorised to host the event, facilitates exchanges between many restaurant and hostelry professionals, encourages healthy competition between entrants, motivates participants to perfect their skills, and allows the sommelier profession to become better known to the public.

This year there will be 60 candidates from over 55 countries participating in two days of written and practical exam – the quarter final (on 27th March) and the semi final (on 28thMarch). Elite sommeliers from all over the world will have to technical knowledge test regarding grapes and wine; blind tasting skills; service; other beverages such as spirits and waters etc. Three best candidates will be selected to go through the public final round on the afternoon of 29th March.

Born in Roi-et, a city in the northeastern region of Thailand, Chalong began his sommelier career when he joined Anantara Phuket Villas as a resident Wine Guru in 2011. He received a Bachelor’s degree in Tourism and Hotel Management from Mahasarakham University, and his interest in wine was inspired by a hotel school professor who asked him to name the highest rated and most expensive wine in the world. He became curious about why wines are regarded so highly, and from this point on devoted himself to exploring the world of vines and wines.

Chalong enthuses – “I am delighted and honoured to be the first Thai to attend this prestigious competition on behalf of the country. This is a great achievement in my career as a sommelier. I will do my best and believe that the opportunity to join the best sommeliers will enable me to gain more knowledge and be able to share my experience with my colleagues, strengthen the Anantara Wine Guru programme and enhance our guests’ overall enjoyment of wine.”

Joe Sriwarin, President of the Thailand Sommelier Association and organiser of Thailand’s Best Sommelier Competition, said – “It is great news that Thailand has been invited to take part in the 14th ASI Contest of the Best Sommelier of the World in Tokyo. This is the first time that a Thai sommelier will participate in the world’s most prestigious wine competition.”

Phuket Index

This man has one of the two best jobs in the world. The other one is movie/TV critic. But I think I'd prefer being a wine expert. Far fewer chances of being served with a nasty wine than a bad tv show.

So now Thailand can call itself Hi So.

Pissed on decent wine and not cheap whisky and crap beer is definetly a step up.

A new type of ear medicine, maybe.

I have to admit I read the article carefully as at first I thought it meant Chalerm's expertise had finally been recognised

Shame the Thai government does not understand that with a reasonable duty on wine, say 100%, they would have a thriving, multi billion dollar industry generating billions in duty revenue. Instead, in a sad but pathetic attempt to protect a handful of wineries who produce inferior wine, they have stifled an entire industry, hurt tourism, and denied the population one of life's truly great pleasures. The duty here is said to be 460%. One of the highest in the world. Such wisdom.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Shame the Thai government does not understand that with a reasonable duty on wine, say 100%, they would have a thriving, multi billion dollar industry generating billions in duty revenue. Instead, in a sad but pathetic attempt to protect a handful of wineries who produce inferior wine, they have stifled an entire industry, hurt tourism, and denied the population one of life's truly great pleasures. The duty here is said to be 460%. One of the highest in the world. Such wisdom. Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's true that in theory the cumulative effect of duty, excise & VAT taxes makes wine prices impossibly high. But in practise the effective tax is something in the region of 100% due to underdeclaring.

If you take the retail price of a known brand in a supermarket like Villa or Foodland and do a reverse calculation to compare to the price to other countries, you will see that the tax component can't be anything like 400%.

Edited by Dork

Shame the Thai government does not understand that with a reasonable duty on wine, say 100%, they would have a thriving, multi billion dollar industry generating billions in duty revenue. Instead, in a sad but pathetic attempt to protect a handful of wineries who produce inferior wine, they have stifled an entire industry, hurt tourism, and denied the population one of life's truly great pleasures. The duty here is said to be 460%. One of the highest in the world. Such wisdom. Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's true that in theory the cumulative effect of duty, excise & VAT taxes makes wine prices impossibly high. But in practise the effective tax is something in the region of 100% due to underdeclaring.

If you take the retail price of a known brand in a supermarket like Villa or Foodland and do a reverse calculation to compare to the price to other countries, you will see that the tax component can't be anything like 400%.

It's all good until your under declared Container falls off the boat.

I would guess that the document exchange takes place in between the shipper and final importer so don't think insurance is an issue.

This I heard from a wine importer here in Thailand. He told me about the 460%, and also told me it was the highest duty on wine in the free world. Beyond ridiculous. I realize everyone under declares, but that it forced upon them by such a silly, immature, and unproductive duty tariff. I see wine at some local restaurants, that cost $4 per bottle in Los Angeles, as the house wine for 1,450 per bottle. I walked into a wine store yesterday. They had a Chalone Pinot Noir for $2,850 per bottle, plus 17% VAT and service, since it was a hotel wine store. Service charge at the retail level? Is business practice here upside down, or what? That wine is $21 retail in LA. They also had a Seghesio Sonoma Zinfandel for 2,800 baht. That wine is $16 in LA. The best deal was a Chateauneuf du Pape, that I can get for $45 in LA. It was 4,500 here, plus 17%. Thailand could and would have a vibrant wine industry, with brisk retail sales, and wine bars all over the country, if the government would behave responsibly, and rid itself of manic fear of the outside world. I hear the owners of the anemic wineries up north lobbied a senator, and got him to pas the anti fareng wine bill, which imposed this stunningly ridiculous tariff. How much did he get paid? He should be serving time in prison, rather than in the Thai Senate.

• Like 1

I would guess that the document exchange takes place in between the shipper and final importer so don't think insurance is an issue.

Something has to go with the Container to declare the value. If it is 500 baht a bottle it has to arrive bangkok cif about 100 baht.