Thai Democrats Tap Kingkarn To Challenge Yaowapa

webfact

Democrats tap Kingkarn to challenge Yaowapa
Chanikarn Phumhiran,
Olan Lertrudtanadumrongkul
The Nation

30203112-01_big.jpg
Former Chiang Mai MP Kingkarn na Chiang Mai

BANGKOK: -- The Democrat Party will field former Chiang Mai MP Kingkarn na Chiang Mai to take on Pheu Thai Party's Yaowapa Wongsawat in the Chiang Mai constituency 3 by-election on April 21.

Three Democrat Party deputy leaders - Apirak Kosayodhin, Kalaya Sophonpanich, and Siriwan Prassajaksatru - called a press conference to introduce Kingkarn, a two-time New Aspiration Party MP and wife of former MP and minister Thawatwong na Chiang Mai, as the party candidate.

Nitipol Chainant, the Democrat director in Chiang Mai, said the party was not intimidated, even though the party candidate was contesting against Pheu Thai Party heavyweight Yaowapa Wongsawat, Thaksin Shinawatra's younger sister.

"The party will fully back Kingkarn who is a native of Chiang Mai and the Na Chiang Mai family who had built this province to have a chance to serve Chiang Mai people," he said. Nitipol said Kasem Nimolrat had resigned as Pheu Thai Party MP to solve the party's internal problems, inflicting on taxpayers the expense of a by-election.

"This is an insult to the people of Chiang Mai. Besides, the Pheu Thai picks a candidate who has political flaws," he said.

Kingkarn said it was the most difficult political decision she had made but thanked the Democrat Party for its trust and support. She said voters should not think of this election as to who will win or lose, but to uphold democratic principles, which have been distorted.

"Kasem's resignation is to help a particular person. I have decided to run in this election to call forth people's awareness of their rights and because I want to see change, love and unity in Chiang Mai," she said.

The constituency 3 spans three districts of San Kampaeng, Doi Saket and Mae-on.

Pheu Thai Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit said Yaowapa would apply for candidacy tomorrow, the first day of the registration.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-01

Looks as if the Democrats are waking up to the fact that the appearance of candidates will in some cases swing a vote to that candidate

.Going to be interesting to see how the ''canvassers'' survive in this particular campaign as well.

Will free speech actually be allowed one wonders ?

This campaign could well be the litmus test for democracy under this current maladministration and its supporters being challenged n their heartland will no doubt inspire some interesting reactions.

So the candidates are related (by marriage)? I wonder if she was one of the few New Aspiration party MPs who didn't sell their soul to Thaksin.

The Shinawats had a propensity to knock out offspring in double figures so there can't be many people in Chiang Mai they aren't in some way related to. smile.png

So the candidates are related (by marriage)? I wonder if she was one of the few New Aspiration party MPs who didn't sell their soul to Thaksin.

She actually jumped ship from the TRT just before the election in 2007. Interestingly according to the other paper she was the second choice. First up apparently was Kalayakorn Jiamkitwattana but she laid down two unpalatable demands upon the dem party, firstly the party had to pay the campaign subsidy and secondly, Abhisit had to meet with her family in Chiang Mai!

Personally I think that the Dems didn't want to get caught out again with over size campaign posters just to get her name on them.........whistling.gif

She actually jumped ship from the TRT just before the election in 2007. Interestingly according to the other paper she was the second choice. First up apparently was Kalayakorn Jiamkitwattana but she laid down two unpalatable demands upon the dem party, firstly the party had to pay the campaign subsidy and secondly, Abhisit had to meet with her family in Chiang Mai!

Personally I think that the Dems didn't want to get caught out again with over size campaign posters just to get her name on them.........whistling.gif

Anybody that walks away from Thaksin would get my vote, if I had one. I don't suppose the red shirts will label her as "amart" - though stupidity and hypocrisy are not unknown.

• Like 1

Anybody that walks away from Thaksin would get my vote, if I had one. I don't suppose the red shirts will label her as "amart" - though stupidity and hypocrisy are not unknown.

And not just among "redshirts" perhaps?

• Like 1

Will the Red Shirts be on place to make sure the people wote "the right way"?

Could be. Thida may send her 10,000 strong force to make sure everyone votes for the right way.

• Like 1