Thailand To Change From Left To Right Hand Driving

Lite Beer

I really find this hard to believe that any one would not see it for the April fool joke that iit is,

Has some one else heard this story from another source. Has any one seen one of those the other paper says posts.

I think some people forgot to put there tin foil hats on.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I really find this hard to believe that any one would not see it for the April fool joke that iit is,

Has some one else heard this story from another source. Has any one seen one of those the other paper says posts.

I think some people forgot to put there tin foil hats on.cheesy.gif

Yet the idea has its merits, and other countries have successfully done the change-over - from left to right. Thailand could also, though of course it would't be easy. Methinks it's inevitable, particularly because China (an immense influence on Thailand) drives on the right.

It is also hoped that the change will increase the safety of tourist, as
most tourist are used to drive on the left. The department confirmed
that many accidents with tourists happen because they go out and drink
too much. When they get on their motorcycle they cause accidents because
they drive on the wrong side of the road out of habit. This is being
confirmed by Phuket police.

So this is to make it easier for drunk drivers?

It is also hoped that the change will increase the safety of tourist, as

most tourist are used to drive on the left. The department confirmed

that many accidents with tourists happen because they go out and drink

too much. When they get on their motorcycle they cause accidents because

they drive on the wrong side of the road out of habit. This is being

confirmed by Phuket police.

So this is to make it easier for drunk drivers?

An excellent idea, no?

just read the story , it switches the left and right a couple times

but would be nice to hear the confirmation from the OP

also on that million tons of gold story

just to get it over with
  • Like 1

There'll be fighting again in the beer bars of Pattaya tonight, "I'm telling ya, I hear it on good authoritiy, the stupid buggers are going to change which side of the road we drive on, can you believe it". "<deleted> sit down and shut up ya silly old bugger, no more sang som for him", smack, crack, wop, zap! laugh.png

Did anyone notice the date of this story? April 1? April Fools Day? w00t.gif

So this is a joke, right? cheesy.gif

How come nobody else seems to have picked up on the date?

Or am I the one who's missing something? whistling.gifblink.png

This is a joke, right? cheesy.gif

No it is not a joke and nobody has an issue with the date. Nothing special with this date in april. Thailand is not England.

Definitely not a joke, a friend at the ministry of silly walks transport tells me that this is dead serious.

So someone in govt is actually suggesting changing to driving on the right side of the road?

In a country where X,000,000 cars and trucks have steering wheels on the right side (i.e. the "wrong" side)?

And all traffic lights and road signs will point the wrong way?

The mind boggles........w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

You're *sure* this is not an April Fools joke?

So someone in govt is actually suggesting changing to driving on the right side of the road?

In a country where X,000,000 cars and trucks have steering wheels on the right side (i.e. the "wrong" side)?

Nope, they did it overnight in Burma and they can do it here.

• Like 1

Of course, it won't be easy or cheap to effect a change-over. The steering wheel issue is important, but not a deal-breaker. Traffic lights, road signs, flows of traffic are also big challenges, but again, not insurmountable.

Yet interesting ideas come and go, with nary a follow-up mention: Some examples;

>>> there was a declaration by Bkk city fathers, several years ago, to check/monitor every produce truck coming in to the city - to see whether the fruits or veges had too much 'chemie' (too mich insecticides or herbicides). One truck was checked. The driver's boss complained so loudly that that program was completely scrapped. So Bkk continues to get truckloads of tainted veges and fruits every day.

>>> Near the end of the Bkk floods, some politicians suggested that Bkk should be relocated to higher ground - under the reasonable assumption that near-future floods would be increasingly more dire. Nothing was done.. No follow-up or debate.

>>>> there was a suggestion, years ago, that volunteers could comb and collect trash from stretches of beaches. Very little, if any organizational effort is devoted to that.

Have you not seen the conversion kits, to operate the right-side pedals while driving from the left (currently passengers') position?

Technology has moved on since Burma converted; I doubt it will take all night nowadays...

• Like 1

Have you not seen the conversion kits, to operate the right-side pedals while driving from the left (currently passengers') position?

Technology has moved on since Burma converted; I doubt it will take all night nowadays...

Yeah, I'm still in the dark ages. It will be interesting to see how it all works out, though I feel a bit sorry for those who ploughed money into cars thinking that the government actually gives you something for nothing.

Do people still believe this is real?

It was a story written by a moderator without a link to any publication - it is an April fools joke as this is an English speaking board and most of us know what April Fools day is.

Lighten up guys :)

definitely not a joke.

what the article doesn't mention is that it has also a lot to do with the influence of China has in Thailand. They also want to sell Chinese cars here. they have the steering wheels on the 'right' side.

after they build the highway trough Laos there will be also much more traffic. better have that all without switching sides

definitely not a joke.

what the article doesn't mention is that it has also a lot to do with the influence of China has in Thailand. They also want to sell Chinese cars here. they have the steering wheels on the 'right' side.

after they build the highway trough Laos there will be also much more traffic. better have that all without switching sides

Of course, that must be the answer, either that or the new ASEAN influence, maybe both. Well anyway, I think it's a really good idea and somebody should have thought of this earler, that's the problem today, not enough lateral thinking.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

definitely not a joke.

Of course, that must be the answer, either that or the new ASEAN influence, maybe both. Well anyway, I think it's a really good idea and somebody should have thought of this earler, that's the problem today, not enough lateral thinking.

It is never too late. And yes, it is good that Thailand now steps that step.

Even if it was done previously overnight in Burma without much hassle, it is still a revolutionary idea and needs balls to push it and go for it. look at the disbelief, some still think it is a joke - not enough lateral thinking.

definitely not a joke.

It is never too late. And yes, it is good that Thailand now steps that step.

Even if it was done previously overnight in Burma without much hassle, it is still a revolutionary idea and needs balls to push it and go for it. look at the disbelief, some still think it is a joke - not enough lateral thinking.

Balls are the last thing you'd want - marble madness! It doesn't bear thinking about... it would be like the Keystone Cops...

It was a story written by a moderator without a link to any publication - it is an April fools joke as this is an English speaking board and most of us know what April Fools day is.

Lighten up guys smile.png

SO are you saying we can't trust the moderators?

This thread just goes to show how few people actually read through a thread before answering, although 36 pages now and no sign of let up is a bit of a putter offer. I wonder what the average IQ of regular Thai visa contributors is? Come to that, why bother unless you do it for fun? Evidently some people have no sense of humour at all, I get by with a minimum of being insulted compared with other people but I really prefer the farming thread.

I only came on line to find train time tables to Koh Samui, honest..

• Like 2

This thread just goes to show how few people actually read through a thread before answering, although 36 pages now and no sign of let up is a bit of a putter offer. I wonder what the average IQ of regular Thai visa contributors is? Come to that, why bother unless you do it for fun? Evidently some people have no sense of humour at all, I get by with a minimum of being insulted compared with other people but I really prefer the farming thread.

Tell us more about the putter offer. I'm thinking about taking up golf, and according to ZhouZhou, we'll need balls for driving on the right.

• Like 2

Lighten up guys smile.png

SO are you saying we can't trust the moderators?

Don't suggest that, SC. On threads like this, they are the only ones we can trust.

Tell us more about the putter offer. I'm thinking about taking up golf, and according to ZhouZhou, we'll need balls for driving on the right.

Off putting? Putting off? Sorry about that.

Edited by cooked

I can't believe it went three and a half pages before anybody even mentioned April Fools...

I called it on page one, but the post was deleted. (my first post here) I guess newbies aren't allowed to spoil the joke too early.

this is post 3. you can see in my "content"/profile there are only two posts.

w00t.gif

Congratulations your prize is on the way.

Just in case no-one read it YOU CALLED IT ON PAGE ONE. clap2.gif

Thanks for the re tweet.

It belive something went wrong with the database April 1st – mayby overloaded witl »April Foll« comments. I also quoted it on page 1, it showed up, but was never recorded – same happened in another thread.smile.png