Thailand To Change From Left To Right Hand Driving

Lite Beer

Brilliant idea!

The problem is that in most countries where people drive on the right, cars have steering wheels on the left so they can have a better view for seeing oncoming traffic (ie overtaking).

Since overtaking is already one of the weak points of Thai drivers, we can now look forward to a drastic increase in accidents because now we will all have to move that much further into oncoming traffic to see the view ahead !!!

Another classic example of trying to implement something before thinking it through.

sad.png

Another classic example of an expat post that ignores facts for the purpose of being demeaning.dry.png The article talks about a proposal. This would leave room for "thinking it through" or further discussion. And you have no way of knowing whether the ramifications of the steering wheel position have been considered.wink.png

Old normal cars can keep their steering wheel on the right, but owners cannot sell these cars. For that the car must first be refitted with the steering wheel on the left.

Some big big money behind that, by the way some old cars will be a few months old...can you believe it? Yessssscheesy.gif

I, for once, totally support this proposal. It shows the insuperable problem-solving mindset of the Thai gvt.

Indeed, finally, EVERY driver will be on the right (good) side of the road during an infinitesimal laps of time, right at midnight on NY eve. Wherever they happen to be at that moment.

Bright!

I almost believed this article a second time when some idiot, riding a motorcycle was driving in the opposite direction in the fast lane on Asia Highway near Chainat, forcing me and other drivers to move over to the middle lane. Perhaps he read this article and started practicing for the changeover.

Although most of us have figured out what this article is about... It actually makes perfect sense. Burma changed in the 70's. Only a few countries left to convert...

I agree, but I think this is an April Fool's joke...

The really funny part is........they actually should switch over !!! After looking at the left / right driving graphic of the world by 55jay, it seems pretty clear that Thailand is out of sync ...

Edited by EyesWideOpen

One of the funniest ideas yet from these idiots. Not least because of the financial impact on local car sales. No one in their right mind will want to buy a car until this is resolved.

"As of 1 January 2014 all cars sold in Thailand will need to have the

steering wheel on the left side. Old normal cars can keep their steering

wheel on the right, but owners cannot sell these cars."

So all those people who have been encouraged to go into debt to buy cars are now going to find they have a worthless investment that they cannot sell without an expensive modification.

I wonder how the manufacturers feel about this, they will have huge stocks to sell, what happens to those cars?

Reality, this will not happen anytime soon, it is simply not feasible by Jan 2014. Change every single signpost in the country? All the traffic lights that need to be re sequenced? Seriously, Jan 1st overnight change when so many are already drunk! Accident rates will go up dramatically to start with, I certainly wouldn't want to be on the roads for the next few days, it would be total chaos.

Another outstanding and totally laughable plan from the man in Dubai.

So who is the fool then? laugh.png

I think we should give the first prize to this one :)

• Like 1

For all of you saying this is a good idea and makes sense

must have lived here for toooo long. It is going to be a logistical nightmare,

especially for a country full of people who need a calculator for their 2 times

table. Every sign, every car, every road will need amending. This will cost

billions of dollars to implement safely. Also, know you are wrong, there are no

statistics that say driving on the right is any safer than driving on the left.

Only people who are used to driving on the right will find it safer to drive on

the right and hey guess what the whole driving population of this country is

not used to driving on the right. NO BRAINER. I am actually a little shocked so

many people on here are saying this is a good idea, just goes to show how many

none Thais have thought about this in depth. The death toll will shoot through

the roof, insurance premiums will increase tenfold. Laying down laws forbidding

car owners from selling their cars is dictatorial at best. To end I will say I have

never come across such a pathetic, insane, ludicrous idea in my life. Dumbo

springs to mind.

"Dumbo springs to mind."

Never a truer word spoken in jest.rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif I KNEW SOMEONE WOULD BITE 5555555555555

So, because its an inconvenience for the TOURISTA, the locals must "adapt?" Insane.

I'm from the USA and we drive on the right side of the road, so this should make me happy, right? (no pun intended)

Its sheer lunacy. If tourists cannot adapt, then too bad.

Oh My God what the hell are they doing. They say busses and wagons will be exempt because they are professional drivers what a laugh. I live in New Zealand some of the time and have driven in many places around the world. Left and right no problem. All the people with cars now cannot sell them later unless they change the wheel from right to left, not very considerable for hundreds of thousands people with cars. Hong Kond drives on the left and they are in the APEC Asian group but lets face it H/K have far more sense than most of these Thai ministers. God help us.

Well this is good news. Lets see. Now there are so many acidents caused by bad driving habbits in Thailand now. This will bring the death rate(especially on New Years Day) to a world record. It is for sure the police are not prepared to handle this at all. Happy New Year!

Yeah............like I'm gonna trust the mechanics here to convert the steering to the other side with no potential mishaps.

I almost believed this article a second time when some idiot, riding a motorcycle was driving in the opposite direction in the fast lane on Asia Highway near Chainat, forcing me and other drivers to move over to the middle lane. Perhaps he read this article and started practicing for the changeover.

If he was practicing for the changeover he would stay on the other side. rolleyes.gif

This is an April Fools Joke. the article talks about chganging to driving on the right, but alternates throughout between saying "driving on the right" and "driving on the left". If there is ever to be a change, Laos, Cambodia and Burma will be the ones changing.