Coffee, Pleasantly Surprised At Makro Today.

pattayadingo

Nescafe Red Cup 400 gms (200 cups) at 165 Baht at Makro. So I bought two.

Maybe we should have a topic about price cuts instead of all the price rises that are going on, but that would be advertising, wouldn't it?

Anyway, I'm a happy bunny now I have 4 weeks supply at that price.

I recently switched from Bon Cafe brand to Benjamit.

Very pleased though a bit more expensive.

Benjamit coffee house roasts their own beans right in the shop then will grind them with a nice burr grinder to match your coffee maker. Very fresh.

Benjamit is off Soi Bukow on the left, in a small lane, just before you reach Pattaya Tai.

I was also impressed with the owner and staff. Really on the ball.

• Like 1

Benjamit coffee house roasts their own beans right in the shop then will grind them with a nice burr grinder to match your coffee maker. Very fresh.

Benjamit is off Soi Bukow on the left, in a small lane, just before you reach Pattaya Tai.

I have a coffee percolator back in the U.K. but hasve never bothered with one here. Great coffee though.

Now I settle for a mug of water heated in the microwave and a dollop of Nescafe in it. And a drop of the hard stuff in it too when under the weather ;)

sensible idea about a 'price-cut' pinned topic. e.g. Tesco frequently recently have Campbell soups at B15 - normal price B52-58.

That is cheap. We have a big Tesco on Sukhumvit road but I never bother to go in.

The small ones on Khao Talo seem expensive, to me.

Nescafe is not coffee, how can you drink this ?

Indeed - I thought this was about coffee. Then I read Nescafe!

Nescafe is made from the rejected coffee beans used for 'roasted' coffee.

Nescafe is not coffee, how can you drink this ?

Needs must :P

Have heard about this place but never been able to find it...as illusive as the great white whale!

Yuk! I thought this thread was about coffee. Referring to Nescafe, in any of its renditions, as coffee is like referring to used motor oil as beer. All of those freeze dried Thai Taster's Choice beverages have no redeeming qualities whatsoever, beyond the fact that they contain caffeine. If you cannot get real coffee, the ubiquitous Thai Taster's Choice products will at least service the addiction.

To try and claw back some decency into this topic, several Makro branches (not sure about Pattaya) have Gaggia espresso equipment for a -for Thailand- reasonable price. You'd do better to buy in Europe somewhere of course. (I'd say USA where shopping is better for most things, but the voltage difference is an issue)

I totally agree that Benjamit is one of the best, if not the best, coffee outlets in Thailand.

When in Pattaya, I take the walk from Soi 10 to Benjamit just to have my daily caffeine fix.

All you instant coffee lovers should hang your heads in shame for promoting that bottled muck as 'good coffee.' That also goes for those of you who think they are drinking good coffee in Starbucks, Gloria Jeans, Coffee World etc.

Do yourselves a favour, find Benjamit and order your preferred cup of coffee there. You'll be converted.

• Like 1

Hope I'm on topic. Does anyone have a place they go here in BKK for in store roasted beans.Like the one in Pattya? Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

For anything you want to know about great coffee in Thailand and a source for worldattachicon.gifPurchase and Store Coffee in Thailand.pdf class beans, see the PDF.

I read the article you pointed us to. Not too bad in his beliefs.

In the last paragraph he points out the need for a good coffee grinder. The grinder is the essential part of making a good coffee. Finding the right setting on the grinder is trial and error, so in that regard a 'stepless' grinder is the best choice. Not cheap, but if you are a coffee connoisseur, it will be money well spent.

I definitely disagree with his appraisal of Starbucks. They serve dishwater in a cup.

For an afternoon of interesting reading about coffee, try these links:

http://www.coffeesnobs.com.au/

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums

For those of you in Pattaya, here is Benjamit situated adjacent to the Soi Buakhow market ground.

post-4042-0-79394600-1364875886_thumb.jp

post-4042-0-38454200-1364875830_thumb.jp

It's best to visit on the non market days. Too many customers on market days.

If you go to that little cafe macro have once you go inside on the left they have really nice coffee there if you fancy a cup before or after shopping.

That's if you can't wait to get home and open up that Nescafe Red Cup!

Yuk! I thought this thread was about coffee. Referring to Nescafe, in any of its renditions, as coffee is like referring to used motor oil as beer.

Well in Sweden they refer to beer as öl . biggrin.png

Edited by jbrain

Each to their own on coffee tongue.png

I like Red Cup too. If those other coffees are so good, why do people drink them with their nose so high up? tongue.png

We hold our noses high to catch more of the intoxicatingly delicious aromas wafting up from the hot cup.

I don't think the thread would work. I remember the Pepsi Max panic and someone posting something like "Tesco had six cases today and I bought them all" tongue.png

It's a dog eat dog world out there man, when it comes to specials

People have killed for the last Miracle Whip, Peanut Butter or Vegemite.

Never wondered why so many farangs in CM jail? wink.png

Edited by uptheos

Thailand has great trouble making a real HOT coffee.

To all the "experts", my taste buds, my choice, my money.

I also prefer my coffee hot. It's not just Thailand that serves coffee at a temperature below 'hot', it happens with most barista's in Western countries too. They use the touch test, rather than use a thermometer.

In that regard when ordering a milk based coffee, I always ask them to heat the milk more than they normally would. There is usually a wide gap between their (often flawed) 'touch test hot' and burnt milk.

The price of raw coffee has plunged by more than half last year, very rich harvests all over the world. I'm surprised that a consumer reports a lower price in the shop, that usually doesn't happen.

The price of raw coffee has plunged by more than half last year, very rich harvests all over the world. I'm surprised that a consumer reports a lower price in the shop, that usually doesn't happen.

That would translate into nice profits for retail coffee shops.

How's Starbuks stock doing these days?