Extradited Dane Beaten In Thai Prison

webfact

He should definitely serve his time in jail - and a long time; however, I don't think it unreasonable to expect more humane conditions than what he described in the Thai jail. Yes, he is a criminal, but he is not a murderer nor did he commit any violent crime - he should serve his time in jail, but jail should be a place to rehabilitate and not an environment of physical violence.

I liked the other post saying he should have stayed longer in Thai prison to get his just desserts, but you have a point here. As hard as it is to admit, I believe in rehabilitation as well -- even for certain murderers -- the problem is there are few people capable of looking after such people -- and if criminals are let out of rehabilitation before the process has done its job, then they remain a very dangerous threat to society.

It's difficult, really, thinking about it. I mean, if these people have harmed your own, then it's impossible to 'forgive' them and ask for rehabilitation. Who in their right human mind would do that (despite what religion dictates)? I sure wouldn't. So it sounds almost hypocritical to ask for rehabilitation as long as it's not someone you know getting hurt. That's where I'm torn at. It's much easier to say "hang the xxxxxx by his balls" and have a good show and deter for would-be followers. Or is it?

I respect you effort at objectivity and your honesty about your own feelings and how you possibly erred in your thinking, but your post highlights an important point.

Whenever someone objects to draconian punishment, the death penalty or vigilante justice people will always say, "What if it was your loved one?! What would you want to happen?!" The answer is easy - if someone hurt my wife or my kids, I'd happily kill them. Slowly. BUT a justice system isn't supposed to be based on emotional reactions or personal reactions. A society can't legislate and administer justice according to how you think the most extreme reaction would be in a moment of passion (eg someone filled with rage and desperate for revenge). It supposed to be impartial and logical.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

• Like 1

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much as I hate to admit this publicly, I have a fair amount of experience of jails worldwide. . Anyway, I firstly cannot believe he was in a cell of 8 square meters with 35 other inmates. That's only 2m x 4m - no wonder he got beaten up - he must have been standing/sitting/sleeping on top of at least 3-4 others. 8 meters square maybe - but that then sounds a bit luxurious for a Thai prison with 35 inmates in such a sizeable space.

Secondly, Thai Scum (that is those that end up prison) may operate to a different set of standards, but most prisons I've 'visited' or heard of, have a very strict self-imposed set of rules. Rapists and child-abusers are always in open season. Sexual favours is another dodgy area, but if there is a reasonable hierarchy in place - then 'normally' it's by mutual consent. New guys, on remand, are generally left alone - they've all been there themselves at one time. Being a farang of course may have had an influence of course. [i love Thailand and most of its people, but when you meet a bad one they are usually real scum)

One more point that someone above mentioned - Singapore and its form of corporal punishment. I believe Singapore has one of the lowest rates of crime per capita in the world. The caning is done under the strictest supervision by a doctor. If he decides the criminal has had enough, it stops - but only until his/her bare arse heals enough for the remainder of the lashes to be carried out. Great system!!!

Cane a few of the Thai scum that run the scams, rip off the tourists, steal handbags etc as they ride by on motorbikes and the crime rate would drop by half overnight and overcrowded prisons would be a thing of the past. Believe-me, caned once and you never want to be caned again.

He is telling porky pies.

Probably more likely he could not pay his yabba bill to one of the inmates.

It would be unlikely he would tell the truth because that would add drugs to the list.

Edited by newermonkey

Not a smart move to flee to Thailand. Thailand is cooperating beter and better with other countries to track down people who are wanted by other countries.

His arrest here will now make it very dificult to return to Thailand, to his wife and children. He will probably be denied entry.

• Like 1

Only 40 baht? Corruption and fraud just don't pay the way they used to.

As much as 40 baht? I would ask.

These confidence trixsters usually get into fraud coz they want to live the high life. They start off small, spend it all on wine women and song, then they are hooked. As their greed grows, so does their exorbitant spending.

They don't tuck the money away in a transparent bank account coz that leaves a trail, and the funds are too easily frozen by the authorities.

Maybe the police should have seized the 40 baht to divide amongst all his victims. Most likely, there is nothing else.

Edited by Radar501

As a danish citizen I would suggest that he did his time in Thailand instead of having a very expensive taxpayer financed "holiday" in the danish system. Denmark could pay for the "stay" and save millions in DK. He has apparently already abused the danish system and his family to the limit and has a conviction for that, so no need for feeling sorry for this guy...

Serves him right. Broke fraud

You raise an interesting point, sir... Yes, they ought to enshrine beatings into law, so true justice gets done... I wonder why they don't? Any ideas? I'd also be keen to discuss the severity levels of beatings appropriate to the crime Likesay, if a fraudster gets punched in the face and kicked in the guts a few times, that would be about what he deserves, but a heavy boot to the skull causing medium level concussion - that should probably be reserved for more serious crimes, like rape and assault.

Of course, his cellmates would need to be informed of exactly his crime, so they can deliver the appropriate sentence. Then again, since they all committed crimes, I suppose they are up for beatings of their own as well... so they'd have to take turns beating each other up, which could get pretty complicated.

But it would "serve them right", wouldn't it?

You write very well. Logical also.

The only place I have heard of about legislated physical punishment is Singapour I believe. Caning.

When an american teen got sentenced to caning for vandalism, the american government got involved. Thought it was inhumane.

When the american people heard about this, they got very interested.... Some type of punishment that appeared to be a deterrent to committing crimes...

They liked it....

One individual who was sentenced to caning said...''If you had that once, you do not want it again...''

But it is controlled physical punishment....

O dear when will the hang 'em high brigade stop and think.

In earlier times with public hangings (usually contrived so that you did not die immediately and were fortunate if you had a friend at hand to pull your legs) and whippings and burnings and drawing & quartering and the like, we obviously did not have a crime problem at all, did we?

Well yes we did and the societies of those times were diminished by the barbarity.

How's that for logic?

Granted, but were you or any of TV's finest cheated by this guy ?...if you were then you have full right to call him anything you want...but all we are getting is comments from the hang en high brigade from who reside in the peanut gallery

but all we are getting is comments from the hang en high brigade

Jing na???

Probably because we all have been cheated more than once by his type...coffee1.gif

You raise an interesting point, sir... Yes, they ought to enshrine beatings into law, so true justice gets done... I wonder why they don't? Any ideas? I'd also be keen to discuss the severity levels of beatings appropriate to the crime Likesay, if a fraudster gets punched in the face and kicked in the guts a few times, that would be about what he deserves, but a heavy boot to the skull causing medium level concussion - that should probably be reserved for more serious crimes, like rape and assault.

Of course, his cellmates would need to be informed of exactly his crime, so they can deliver the appropriate sentence. Then again, since they all committed crimes, I suppose they are up for beatings of their own as well... so they'd have to take turns beating each other up, which could get pretty complicated.

The only place I have heard of about legislated physical punishment is Singapour I believe. Caning.

When an american teen got sentenced to caning for vandalism, the american government got involved. Thought it was inhumane.

When the american people heard about this, they got very interested.... Some type of punishment that appeared to be a deterrent to committing crimes...

They liked it....

One individual who was sentenced to caning said...''If you had that once, you do not want it again...''

In earlier times with public hangings (usually contrived so that you did not die immediately and were fortunate if you had a friend at hand to pull your legs) and whippings and burnings and drawing & quartering and the like, we obviously did not have a crime problem at all, did we?

Well yes we did and the societies of those times were diminished by the barbarity.

How's that for logic?

In merry old England there was a time when hangings were all public and well attended. One of the crimes that could get you hung was pick pocketing. These things happened most often at the hangings.

I think the justice system has cone a long ways since those days. Perhaps to far. Jail was designed not as a punishment but to separate you from society. In many so called enlightened prisons they now bring the society into you with TV and other electronic forms of communication.

I think that most criminals believe they are too clever to get caught, or have little self respect and don't care, or see that serving time is a mark of standing in the community in which they circulate. Serving time in the Thai system, which at best is appalling, does not appear to deter the locals, otherwise there would be plenty of space within the cells.

I think that most criminals believe they are too clever to get caught, or have little self respect and don't care, or see that serving time is a mark of standing in the community in which they circulate. Serving time in the Thai system, which at best is appalling, does not appear to deter the locals, otherwise there would be plenty of space within the cells.

Punishment is simply not a good deterrent. The best deterrent is and has always been how much chance there is you are getting caught.

Granted, but were you or any of TV's finest cheated by this guy ?...if you were then you have full right to call him anything you want...but all we are getting is comments from the hang en high brigade from who reside in the peanut gallery

but all we are getting is comments from the hang en high brigade

Jing na???

Probably because we all have been cheated more than once by his type...

Not me. And I doubt I'm the only one - so perhaps "all" is a slight overstatement.

They liked it....

How's that for logic?

You're talking about the middle (dark) ages as well as from your ar_se! With a few obvious exceptions there is no one so poor or desperate these days to warrant the rising high crime rate. We're not talking hung-drawn-&-quartered here. We're talking of simple caning. And as a previous poster said, the majority of law abiding citizens would be in favour of it. And as for the USA's opinion, who gave them the right to be the Worlds police force. And what an f'ing mess they've made of that job.

Singapore is by no means perfect, but at least you can walk the streets in relative safety. Name one American city where you can say the same.

as a previous poster said, the majority of law abiding citizens would be in favour of it. And as for the USA's opinion, who gave them the right to be the Worlds police force. And what an f'ing mess they've made of that job.

Singapore is by no means perfect, but at least you can walk the streets in relative safety. Name one American city where you can say the same.

*You didn't even ATTEMPT to refute his logic and could only offer invective instead. Feel free to cite anything that shows correlation let alone causality between caning and safe streets etc. (By the way, countries that occasionally execute murderers - the US or Thailand for example - do they have less murder than those countries that don't?)

*The US had an opinion because the young man in question was an American ( from a privileged background if I recall correctly).

*There are quite a few US cities where one can walk the streets in relative safety. Even in the major cities, crime rates have plummeted and as ever was, the majority of the crime is in the inner cities ( no less tragic but the odds of the average person being a victim is not reflected by a mere look at overall numbers).

as a previous poster said, the majority of law abiding citizens would be in favour of it.

*You didn't even ATTEMPT to refute his logic and could only offer invective instead. Feel free to cite anything that shows correlation let alone causality between caning and safe streets etc. (By the way, countries that occasionally execute murderers - the US or Thailand for example - do they have less murder than those countries that don't?)

*The US had an opinion because the young man in question was an American ( from a privileged background if I recall correctly).

*There are quite a few US cities where one can walk the streets in relative safety. Even in the major cities, crime rates have plummeted and as ever was, the majority of the crime is in the inner cities ( no less tragic but the odds of the average person being a victim is not reflected by a mere look at overall numbers).

Since when did logic come out of someone's ar_se. And you can say what you like about America, their 'safe' cities and the great job they're doing as far as world peace is concerned, but there is no argument about what a caned arse has done for Singapore's crime rates.

• Like 1

as a previous poster said, the majority of law abiding citizens would be in favour of it.

Since when did logic come out of someone's ar_se. And you can say what you like about America, their 'safe' cities and the great job they're doing as far as world peace is concerned, but there is no argument about what a caned arse has done for Singapore's crime rates.

Let's see...

"Since when did logic come out of someone's ar_se."

Nonsensical idiocy requiring no response.

"And you can say what you like about America, their 'safe' cities..."

I said nothing about "safe cities". Read again. (Hint: I answered your question and rebutted your implicit posit).

"...and the great job they're doing as far as world peace is concerned..."

What are you on about? Who brought any of that completely unrelated bo***cks up - besides you?

"...but there is no argument about what a caned arse has done for Singapore's crime rates."

Of course there is. And you have done NOTHING to make yours or support what you suggest. Nothing.

*You didn't even ATTEMPT to refute his logic

Let's see...

I said nothing about "safe cities". Read again. (Hint: I answered your question and rebutted your implicit posit).

What are you on about? Who brought any of that completely unrelated bo***cks up - besides you?

"...but there is no argument about what a caned arse has done for Singapore's crime rates."

Of course there is. And you have done NOTHING to make yours or support what you suggest. Nothing.

Okay - let's pretend this isn't a troll and now somewhat off thread.

LOGIC: how can there be a logical argument comparing the Middle Ages with today's crime rates.

AMERICA's SAFE CITIES: you are right; you said there are quite a few cities where you can walk the streets in relative safety. Quite a few? How many? 10? 20? And at all hours of the day and night? You can in Singapore.

AMERICA AS THE WORLD'S POLICE FORCE: that reference actually stemmed from another post on same forum #70 if I recall where the poster suggested that because it wasn't done in America it must be right.

And as for singapore; sorry, I can't quote you figures, but I lived there for 10 years. A small island republic with a population now in excess of 5 million. A great many of which are immigrant workers who live 10 to a 40ft container. The [government controlled] press make a point of publishing all crime on a daily basis. Last one I read had a named doctor given 10 lashes for photographing up girl's skirts in a supermarket using his mobile phone in his shopping basket. And a Bangladeshi worker who was fined SG$300 for littering - more than a month's wages for him.

For God's sake man, I am by no means a hang-em-high advocate, but I do believe the world has gone soft on punishment. If there was a referendum in Singapore tomorrow about abolishing caning I certainly wouldn't bet against the result.

Good argument though

Where was this chap actually beaten up? IDC or in a Thai prison run by the correction department?

If in IDC I would say that guy had real luck with only 40 Baht in his pocket.

If a guy comes from Europe and cheats and who really cares if he is beaten up. This is Thailand and not some kind of 4 star hotel where you end up in Europe when you cheat someone.

I am sure Asian guys get beaten up too in the 4 star hotels (jails) in Europe.

Would it not been a European or some Burmese or Cambodian guy that got beaten up in the Thai jail most TV members wouldn't really give shit about them.

The Danish crook is a whiner and he should be happy that his back still can pass motion. cheesy.gif

Edited by MobileContent

Is there corroboration of the prison violence, or are we supposed to accept without question, every word of a convicted fraudster ? Is it remotely possible that a person who has "massaged" the truth in the past (fraud), would think it plays better back home to create a story of the inhuman treatment he has received in a foreign land?

• Like 2

Let's see...

To be honest you did not name a safe city in the states. But I will Mulkeltio Washington.

And as to caning being the reason for the safety and low crime rate in Singapore. I have no doubt that it is a part of the answer. But I believe that strict laws rigidly enforced years ago have a bearing on the behavior of the citizens today and the younger generation coming up.

To be honest you did not name a safe city in the states.

To be honest I explicitly stated in the post you quoted that I said nothing about "safe cities". I don't even know what that means - how do we quantify it? I did say that there are quite a few cities in the use where you can "walk the streets in relative safety" - which is what the poster originally implied did not exist. A list of such cities, if there were a practical way of making one, go well beyond the presumably small and little known one you mention.

My wife was told his wife passed away many years ago.

The OP article above ended with the following item:

>After his arrest his Thai wife has been taking care of the children and the Danish Embassy will make sure that they are being cared for.

He had a Danish wife. I believe the Thai wife is the step mother to the children

• 4 months later...

A lot of Thai bad people out there.

More and more bad farangs come here.

Any embassy help paying to clear this shi+++++++ out of Thailand?

C'mon......... this world is bigger than your thought. Many world members are bad we all have to face it no matter where you are.

Close the country up with all immigration rules is just like wipe the dirt out of YOUR house.

They meet and beat each other in Thai prison. Let it be.....

I'm sure those deciding to steal never give a sh=== to the word "HUMAN RIGHT" anyway.

A lot of Thai bad people out there.

More and more bad farangs come here.

Any embassy help paying to clear this shi+++++++ out of Thailand?

C'mon......... this world is bigger than your thought. Many world members are bad we all have to face it no matter where you are.

Close the country up with all immigration rules is just like wipe the dirt out of YOUR house.

They meet and beat each other in Thai prison. Let it be.....

I'm sure those deciding to steal never give a sh=== to the word "HUMAN RIGHT" anyway.

I whish I could understand just one sentence of what you wrote.