How To Stay In Thailand For 9 Months

Hello,

I need an advice regarding thai visa. I just got a job at university in Thailand for 9 months and my boyfriend wants to come to Thailand with me.

What can we do so he can stay for 9 months?

Tourist Visa with multiple erntry sholud get him 90 days alltogether...or could he rely on the visa-run-strategy with a triple-entry-visa? Then he would get 60 days each time he re-enters plus expiration for 30 days each time as well, am I right?

As he wants to learn thai, he considered to go to a language school with ED Visa, which could get him 1year or more.

BUT: Is it possible to arrive as a tourist, use your full 90 days, apply for ED, then leave the country and re-enter with ED?

(So he could visiut the schools personaly and choose one)

Or is it possible to start with ED, then leave and come back with a tourist-visa?

I dont want to do anything illegal and he wants to study thai but would like to travel around as well, not only to neighboting countries but to some friends in India (and with ED-Visa you have to attend school at least twice a week, so he couldnt be away for to long).

Any suggestions?

(Sorry for my poor english)

Regarding the stay for 9 months, Basically, "Yes" to your question lol

Get a tourist visa with 3 entries

1) first entry, 60 days, after the 60, get 30 day extensions for 1900 bhat

2) after your 30 day extension, go to Cambodia, get a Cambodian visa, cross, come back.

You can do all in one day because of the entries you prepaid smile.png

3) when you come back you get a fresh 60 days, stay the fresh 60, the at the end, get another 30 day extension for 1900 baht.

4) after your 30 day extension, go to Cambodia, get a Cambodian visa, cross, come back.

5) when you come back you get a fresh 60 days, stay the fresh 60, the at the end, get another 30 day extension for 1900 baht.

Done!

basically you've done a 3x of the (60days plus 30day extension)

I'm doing basically the same thing and am 2/3 of the way thru the process now. So far, no issues, and the 3 entries i got originally really worked out smile.png

Regarding the rest, I'm sure others will chime in to add some clarity.

hope this helps. and best wishes!

Edited by jamhar

He has the choice of 3 entry tourist visa (and he can also obtain locally if not available) or single entry tourist and then change to ED with extension for study. Not much difference in cost if going to study anyhow but he can study just as well on a tourist visa entry. At any rate not a major issue as easy to take care of matters locally with a visit to Laos if change mind - but three entry tourist visa should only be a bit more than 3,000 baht in local currency. Extensions will be 1,900 baht however.

For what I know, if you choose to go to Cambodia and go back in Thailand, they give you 15 days if by car, 30 days by airplane. From Laos you can get 60 days also crossing by car. There are also some companies providing some kind of Visa services (trip to Laos by van, hotel for 1 night, administrative matters with Thai Embassy in Laos, trip back from Laos to Thailand, etc. not so expensive. Many foreign are using this service (also teachers that are not at all ready with Business Visa)

to Jamhar: how you got 60 days tourist visa from Cambodia border?

Basically the 60days tourist visa is single entry.

To receive ED Visa as first entry, he must have already chosen the school before and normally provide documents certifying enrollment.

To better understand what really you need, it is necessary to find out how many times he want travel and go outside Thailand.

How long he want study, etc.

Your understanding is wrong - there is no difference for visa exempt entry at any land crossing (except Malaysia for Malaysia nationals). If your nationality gets 15 days entry that is what you get anywhere for non-airport entry (which would be 30 days). A 60 day entry would be from a tourist visa (and you can have more than one entry on a tourist visa if it is issued as such) and it does not matter how you enter.

Has someone already said, that 180 days is the maximum allowable on Tourist Visa?

I use the 30 day stamp on arrival, then take the train to Malaysia for a
60 day Tourist (actually here now, killing time with a cafe latte in
Jalung Burma, waiting to go and collect the passport ;-) )

He could arrive on the 30 day stamp, and during that time, enquire at the
various language schools for the course that suits him, pay the school
fee, and lodge the application for study visa well before the 30 days
has expired. Hmm .. doesn't he have to apply from outside the country?

Train to Butterworth > ferry over to Penang. If he chooses this route,
contact me. I'll advise further on tips for when arriving in Penang. ..
it may save a bunch of hassles.

Has someone already said, that 180 days is the maximum allowable on Tourist Visa?

I hope nobody has said that because it is not true. There is no set limit on how many times your can obtain and use tourist visas.

• Like 1

No that is not how it works - most people get a 60 day entry on a tourist visa and can then visit immigration to extend for 30 days paying 1,900 baht and submitting a TM.7 form. Any exit of Thailand will end your current permitted to stay until a re-entry permit from immigration is obtained for 1,000 baht prior to exit.

• Like 1

Lopburi3 is correct. I have a triple entry Tourist from Liverpool consul. Cost me 75 pounds. 25 per entry. Very easy to get. I was in and out in 5 mins. Im on my first entry now in pattaya. I need to go to jomtien immigration before the 60 days as per the stamp on my visa. For 1900 baht I can extend by 30 days. Then after the 30 days I must exit the kingdom by any means air, road and start the second entry and repeat. The very maximum u can get on a triple is 270 days but this is more or less impossible. Why ? Because there is an expiry date of 180 days from the day the visa was issued that the third entry must be used by. This is on the actual visa and is very important to keep an eye on. So eg. If u do not travel to Thailand on the same day the visa was issued u will lose that time. I flew 1 week after my visa was issued so in effect I lose 7 days because of the expiry date. Also if u leave Thailand for say 1 week between entries u will lose that time also for the same reason. It is better to say the visa is for about 250 to 260ish days depending on how u travel, exit and renenter. If u want to leave within the entry or extension (to see friends) u need to go and get a reentry permit from immigration.

I'm probably going to get another triple in Liverpool when I finish this one as they are easy to get either that or a ED visa for 1 year. Im very lucky i can stay here longtime. My plan is to get 3 or 4 Triple entry tourist visas then a ED visa for 3 years (with extensions). This will just get me to 50 so i can get the retirement visa :). I may have to prove finances to cover my Tourist trips as they do not allow u to work in Thailand but no problem for me. Working here is a whole different kettle of fish!!

He has the choice of 3 entry tourist visa (and he can also obtain locally if not available) or single entry tourist and then change to ED with extension for study. Not much difference in cost if going to study anyhow but he can study just as well on a tourist visa entry. At any rate not a major issue as easy to take care of matters locally with a visit to Laos if change mind - but three entry tourist visa should only be a bit more than 3,000 baht in local currency. Extensions will be 1,900 baht however.

Is one neighboring country better than another for obtaining the 3 entry tourist visa for a US citizen? Is an advanced purchased air ticket out of Thailand required to get the visa? It seems that would make planning difficult and inflexible.

The nearest location for a 3 entry tourist visa is Bali.

At the embassy in Vientiane Laos or the consulate in Savannakhet you can get a two entry visa.

All other nearby locations only give single entry visas.

The nearest location for a 3 entry tourist visa is Bali.

At the embassy in Vientiane Laos or the consulate in Savannakhet you can get a two entry visa.

All other nearby locations only give single entry visas.

Thanks. Do you know if the outbound air ticket is required? It is hard to find this info. Why does the Thai MFA site not include info for Tourist Visa? They list other types of visa and even Tourist Visa Exemption but not Tourist Visa.

Technikall seems to be getting a 2 entry in Malaysia. Where? Penang?

The nearby consulates do not require an outbound flight ticket. I think Bali does though.

This page on MFA website gives info on all types of visas: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

It does not appear to me that Technikall is getting a two entry visa. He only mentions 60 day entry which would be a single.

I would say it is better to get in your own country. Doubles or singles are only available in certain neighboring countries, i believe. I'd just feel more comfortable if refused being in my own country!! Lol. If I was going to do it outside my country I would pay the extra and have a reputable visa company do it for me.

When I got my triple entry I did NOT need an advanced purchased ticket out of Thailand. That was applying in the UK but I believe it applies the same in other places.

I even flew into Thailand on a ONE way ticket. This u cannot do on the visa exempt 30 dayer but u can when u have a visa. At least for UK residents.

The nearby consulates do not require an outbound flight ticket. I think Bali does though.

This page on MFA website gives info on all types of visas: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

It does not appear to me that Technikall is getting a two entry visa. He only mentions 60 day entry which would be a single.

Thanks again. Yes, of course, you're right about Technikall. I must admit I get very confused about visa requirements.

I even flew into Thailand on a ONE way ticket. This u cannot do on the visa exempt 30 dayer but u can when u have a visa. At least for UK residents.

Actually you can fly on a one way ticket if you have another ticket out of Thailand within 30 days (does not have to be back to start).

I would say it is better to get in your own country. Doubles or singles are only available in certain neighboring countries, i believe. I'd just feel more comfortable if refused being in my own country!! Lol. If I was going to do it outside my country I would pay the extra and have a reputable visa company do it for me.

When I got my triple entry I did NOT need an advanced purchased ticket out of Thailand. That was applying in the UK but I believe it applies the same in other places.

I totally agree that dealing with visas in your home country would be easier to deal with. Unfortunately it's not an option now for me since I am a US citizen but living and working in China for a few years now. Also, I'm 62 and the Chinese government has refused to make another age exception for my work permit so it looks like I will have to exit China. So a one-way ticket to BKK would be preferable and Lopburi3 has pointed out that as a possibility if one has an onward ticket to another destination but I fear that might cause confusion/problems boarding the plane in Shanghai if the separate, onward ticket is with a different airline.

Actually you can fly on a one way ticket if you have another ticket out of Thailand within 30 days (does not have to be back to start).

Yes of course, u have to have on outbound ticket (to anywhere outside the kingdom) be it a return or other distination with a visa exempt. Not the case with a visa. I was just saying you do not need a return ticket.

Yes as said you must have an outbound ticket with the visa exempt 30 dayer. You should not have any problems if you have your outbound ticket to show when boarding at any airport to fly into Thailand. At least that's my understanding.

Anyway the OP and thread is about 9 month stays which I'm currently doing now myself, and loving :)

Edited by mxer90

Get a 1 year multi entry visa and you can stay for 15 months you check oout the country every 90 days and in the last 10 days of you visa expiring do another re-entry and you get an extra 90 days why stay for 9 months when you can stay for 15

Hi guys,

I don't want to hijack this topic but someone just flagged something that I hadn't even thought of. I am moving from Ireland to Trat in the near future with my Thai GF. Will I need to show a return ticket to get tourist entry visa or get a multipal entry visa in Ireland before I travel. Which is the best way to go ?

Sorry for jumping into someone else's post.

P D

Get a 1 year multi entry visa and you can stay for 15 months you check oout the country every 90 days and in the last 10 days of you visa expiring do another re-entry and you get an extra 90 days why stay for 9 months when you can stay for 15

I am not very familiar with much of this information. Please help me understand.

You say get a 1 year multiple entry visa and stay for 15 months. What is the official name of this visa, (multiple entry O visa) ?? How does it differ from the visa that Jamhar posted above? With this 1 year visa, do you have to get a 30 day extension (1900 baht) every 90 days?

I have read about both of these things but I am still rather confused. I want to move to Thailand for one year starting this summer and need to be clear about what I must do to be legal. Also, when I move, I will have only a one-way airline ticket. Will this be a problem?

Thanks for the help

A multiple non-O visa is valid for 1 year from the date it is issued. During that year, you can enter Thailand an unlimited number of times. Each time you can stay for up to 90 days, than you leave the country and can come right back the same hour. By leaving and re-entering just before the visa expires after 1 year, you get another 90 days and so almost 15 months.

edit:

But per below post, you must qualify for a non-O visa. Being a tourist is not going to do it.

Edited by Mario2008

There is no such visa for tourist entry - the best you can obtain is a three entry allowing up to about 9 months stay with 3 extensions of 30 days each at an extra 5,700 baht. You would then have to obtain another tourist visa from a Consulate outside Thailand and extend that to complete 12 months stay. It will be up to the Consulate issuing visa if they require ticket.

The requirement to have an outbound ticket is not usually enforced. It is Thai law, so the airlines are required to enforce it. On the rare occasions that they might ask, you can just show them a credit card and that is good enough. Even if you had a problem with that, as long as you checked in early enough you could simply buy a throwaway ticket (Hat Yai to KL is the cheapest) and show it to them. Then you're on your way!

Edit: re the posts about needing to "show a return ticket" - there is no such requirement... the requirement is merely to show an outbound ticket.

Edited by judokrab

The requirement to have an outbound ticket is not usually enforced. It is Thai law, so the airlines are required to enforce it. On the rare occasions that they might ask, you can just show them a credit card and that is good enough. Even if you had a problem with that, as long as you checked in early enough you could simply buy a throwaway ticket (Hat Yai to KL is the cheapest) and show it to them. Then you're on your way!

Edit: re the posts about needing to "show a return ticket" - there is no such requirement... the requirement is merely to show an outbound ticket.

Policy depends greatly on the airline and many airline will not accept a credit card, only a ticket out of the country. Especially when a flight is overbooked, as that means they can deny you boarding without the need of compensating you, you are at risk of being denied boarding.

In particular the bigger airlines will enforce the rule strictly and deny boarding. It happens more often they you would like.