Moving To Live/teach In Isaan :)

Government school EP in a neighbouring province pays their teachers 33k x 12 months, filipinos who teach science get the same (they of course have degrees in science). They are also much better than most of the native speakers that go through the doors as teachers in the 30-40k TEFL field.

Edited by pilm

Government school EP in a neighbouring province pays their teachers 33k x 12 months, filipinos who teach science get the same (they of course have degrees in science). They are also much better than most of the native speakers that go through the doors as teachers in the 30-40k TEFL field.

I have never known any teacher in Thailand to get 12-month paid salary.. This must be a good school !!

Edited by kirstymelb101

I have never known any teacher in Thailand to get 12-month paid salary.. This must be a good school !!

Eh?

No. You must be really inexperienced and not have met many others than degreeless chancers.

All of the schools I know in issan have 12 month contract, I personally wouldn't consider working at any school that didn't. I know several half Thai teachers, all of them are on the foreigners rate of pay 35k+

Kalasin isn't too far from khon kaen and that has plenty of good bars a huge shopping centre.

• Like 1

I appreciate everyone's concern about my salary.. but that's beyond the point! Could this topic please focus more on Kalasin itself. Cheers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalasin_Province

As for your salary, 33,000 x 12 is a lot more than 18,000 x 10 or 11. Two months off fully paid is a great way to end the school year. When you get there I would just go around and talk to other foreign teachers in other schools there. Being rural Isaan there is almost certainly going to be positions available as new 'teachers' start, get a shock at just where they are, and make their excuses and leave. In such an instance don't feel bad for your school, though perhaps a little bit for the director who was probably taking the other 15k of your salary for himself.

• Like 1

Lots of schools in Kalasin only pay 10 months, the EP and TSM modules usually pay 12.

But, as Kirsty says, money is not the motive here.

I was on a 10 month contract also, managed to get an extra 8k per month teaching extra classes, also you can earn 20-30k extra with 'Son piset' after school/weekends.

Why not just work in one of the EP's or TSM's then, so you don't have to work any evenings/weekends? and get two months off with full pay.

Only 2 schools in Kalasin with those departments and the teachers tend to stay in those roles for a long time, hence few vacancies..

I managed to clear about 50/60k per month, then found a writing sideline that paid more than that for 3 hours per day.

So money was not an issue.

I taught TSM 4 hours per week for the 8k extra, to be honest it was more fun teaching the bigger classes as the TSM / MEP tended to be rich kids with crap attitudes.

Teaching the bigger classes ( 50 plus ) is an experience I believe all foreign teachers need to try at least for one year smile.png

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 2

The OP has asked for information about Kalasin. Let's drop the discussion of pay. For those interested in the issue of pay, there are other threads that would be more appropriate or you are welcome to open another one.

Thanks.

The OP has asked for information about Kalasin. Let's drop the discussion of pay. For those interested in the issue of pay, there are other threads that would be more appropriate or you are welcome to open another one.

Thanks.

Understood, I have offered information on Kalasin as I live and work here. I am still waiting to see if Kirsty is going to be teaching

in the town, and what school, or in a provincial village school.

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 1

I'm literally just about to head out the door now, but in the evening when I return home i'll update you with all the information about the school etc.. I was going to just send Chonbot a PM , but I figured someone may also be in my boat looking for info.. Have a great day and 'Happy Sonkgran' :)

• Like 2

I get 12 months pay.