Alcohol Laws To Be Strictly Enforced During Songkran

webfact

Alcohol laws to be strictly enforced during Songkran

aa.jpg

File photo

BANGKOK, 3 April 2013 (NNT) – The Royal Thai Police will be strictly enforcing the alcohol laws to reduce accidents and crimes during the upcoming Songkran festival.

National Police Bureau spokesman Police Major General Piya Utayo said police would be tasked with enforcing the laws strictly during Songkran, particularly those related to alcohol sales.

According to the laws, the sale of alcoholic beverages during restricted hours and to intoxicated person as well as to minor under 20 years of age is prohibited. Violatos will be prosecuted to the full extent of law.

Meanwhile, the Department of Probation under the Ministry of Justice will organize campaigns nationwide aimed at lowering the number of accidents during the water-splashing festival.

Representatives from the Women and Men Progressive Movement Foundation has submitted a letter to the permanent secretary of the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security, requesting safe and alcohol-free areas for the Songkran festival.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-03 footer_n.gif

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps if laws were enforced ALL year, there would be much less of a problem. Just increase fines to compensate for loss of bribe money.

You know they are strict when my policemen brother-in-law says he can't me if I get caught drink driving. Fortunately I don't make a habit of that.

• Like 1

Why not 'strictly enforce' laws against the stupid people that throw water on motorbikes causing them to crash???

Why not limit the Songkran holiday to the three days that it's meant to be celebrated on?mad.gif

Duh.

I guess it varies based on where you live, I have friends in Chaing Mai that say it's a 1-2 week event, BKK 2-3 days, down here in Phuket water is only thrown on 1 day.

• Like 1

Why not 'strictly enforce' laws against the stupid people that throw water on motorbikes causing them to crash???

Why not limit the Songkran holiday to the three days that it's meant to be celebrated on?mad.gif

Duh.

I guess it varies based on where you live, I have friends in Chaing Mai that say it's a 1-2 week event, BKK 2-3 days, down here in Phuket water is only thrown on 1 day.

On the calendar it's marked as April 13-15. Why should it be different dates depending on where you live?

In Pattaya it goes up until the 19th, in Rayong it's the 21st and so on.........it's ridiculous!!

And they wonder why so many people die.

Does the Royal Thai Police know how to "strictly enforce a law"? As they haven't tried yet it surely is going to be a first time experience for them.

Or it simply means that "tea money will be strictly enforced" to look the other way.

I don't drink anymore, only on special occasions like somebodies birthday or whatever, but it would not be hard to stock up on drinks now and then just get drunk before you go out.. Even after you have gone out, it wouldn't be hard to find a place selling it, I guess it depends where you live. Where I do there is a 7/11 that sells alcohol all day every day and has done for the last 3 years. Family marts don't give a rats ass and they are called, 'Family Mart' hehehe. There are going to be some restaurants and bars serving without a doubt, this is just another way for the government to try and look good and them in fact being totally unrealistic.

• Like 1

Will see , so this law is only charged during Songkrang festival !!??

No siree! Didn't you know that the laws are always strictly enforced..... This is part of the ministry's plan to help mom and pop stores!

• Like 1

So motor accident deaths will be well down this year compared to previous years.

Riiiight.

I guess we will know how successful this was after the event.

Assuming the Govt doesnt Fudge the figures to downplay the number of accidents and make themselves look good.

Are the stats collected done so by an independant body or controlled by the Govt?

Does the Royal Thai Police know how to "strictly enforce a law"? As they haven't tried yet it surely is going to be a first time experience for them.

Or it simply means that "tea money will be strictly enforced" to look the other way.

you mean do they know what the laws are?

In general thais keep water throwing to working hours. The idiot tourists dont know when to stop so you shower and change go out 9pm to find a drunk alien still tossing water..

How can police be impartial when convention suggests you can throw water but not paste at a cop. ahem.evening all.are you selling intoxicating liquor....splashhhhhh!

Duh.

According to this thread they gonna enforce that as well, and they also gonna enforce the helmet law and so many other laws.

They gonna be busy this Songkran.

The article states that the full force of the law will be brought upon violators. I take this to mean that their wallets will be emptied and they will go on there marry way as the police (BIB) will be needing more money for their own holiday.

Duh.

And here in Pattaya it starts on the 12th and finishes when the police get pissed off about the 20th. I am already stocking up my freezer with food. I don't drink so no problem for me. My friends are buying booze and beer by the case. You will only find me at home by the pool for that week. F#&k Sonkran?

Edited by drdoom6996
  • Like 1