Fire Extinguishers Distributed By Bangkok Administration Found To Be Sub-Standard

webfact

BMA-issued fire extinguishers found sub-standard

BANGKOK, 3 April 2013 (NNT) - The Bangkok Metropolitan Council (BMC) has urged the City Hall to recall nearly 100,000 fire extinguishers it has distributed to various households following reports of explosion of the device.

Bangkok Metropolitan Councilor for Phasi Charoen area Sutha Nitiphanont said that last month residents in several districts have filed complaints against the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration for providing faulty fire extinguishers which had exploded in homes, causing property damage.

Households in Phasi Charoen first raised the alarm when their equipments exploded and propelled over a distance of 70 meters through the ceiling. Residents in Don Mueang, Dusit and Sai Mai reported a similar incidence.

The BMA’s disaster prevention unit agreed with the BMC that all of the 95,700 fire extinguishers distributed to households in Bangkok’s districts should be recalled and inspected by experts.

The BMC is set to propose a probe on whether suppliers of these fire extinguishers breached any terms of contract with the BMA.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-03 footer_n.gif

amazing and no-one got hurt

another example of " you do not go for cheap xxxx when it comes to fire extinguishers " or any other safety device

Edited by metisdead
Profanity

Inspect all of them?

Propelled 70Ms? Sapety pirst. With friends like that, who needs enemies?

Propelled 70 metres through a ceiling..... ummmm .. a job for myth busters .. maybe.

would be a great episode

Inspect all of them?

Propelled 70 metres through a ceiling..... ummmm .. a job for myth busters .. maybe.

mythbusters@m5industries.com

Inspect all of them?

Your BS detector seems to be working well.

Manufactures meeting

Production Supervisor: "We need pressure relief valves for the BMA extinguisher order"

Purchasing Manager: "I put in a requisition when the BMA approved the purchase, I'm waiting for approval."

CEO: "Let production know we don't need to put pressure relief valves in that order for the BMA, we have to cut costs so we can pay the Tea Money and still make a profit."

BMA Distribution

BKK Citizen: "Is it okay if I place the extinguisher in the window?"

BMA Delivery Person: "Sure the direct sunlight will just fade the paint."

---

A fire extinguisher (pressurized container) without a pressure relief (or faulty) valve will do one of two things when it is over pressurized , explode rupturing the cylinder or blow the valve out of the top of the cylinder.

I do believe under the right circumstances a fire extinguisher might travel 70m (230 ft)

This is what happened when Myth Busters attempted to explode a fire extinguisher http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/exploding-fire-extinguisher.htm
and shows what happens when the pressure relief valve works properly.

• Like 1

Inspect all of them?

Perhaps they might recall these fire-extinguishers, and re-issue them to the military for use in battle, or to the BiBs to replace the dangerous tear-gas grenades used a few years ago ? rolleyes.gif

Manufactures meeting

Production Supervisor: "We need pressure relief valves for the BMA extinguisher order"

Purchasing Manager: "I put in a requisition when the BMA approved the purchase, I'm waiting for approval."

CEO: "Let production know we don't need to put pressure relief valves in that order for the BMA, we have to cut costs so we can pay the Tea Money and still make a profit."

BMA Distribution

BKK Citizen: "Is it okay if I place the extinguisher in the window?"

BMA Delivery Person: "Sure the direct sunlight will just fade the paint."

---

A fire extinguisher (pressurized container) without a pressure relief (or faulty) valve will do one of two things when it is over pressurized , explode rupturing the cylinder or blow the valve out of the top of the cylinder.

I do believe under the right circumstances a fire extinguisher might travel 70m (230 ft)

This is what happened when Myth Busters attempted to explode a fire extinguisher http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/exploding-fire-extinguisher.htm

and shows what happens when the pressure relief valve works properly.

i once see a 200 bar oxygen cilnder travel through a few brick walls that was awesome

it does say on my extinguishers not to keep over 50 C.

Edited by retell

Inspect all of them?

Perhaps they might recall these fire-extinguishers, and re-issue them to the military for use in battle, or to the BiBs to replace the dangerous tear-gas grenades used a few years ago ? rolleyes.gif

how about holding a rocket festival for the foreign high-end tourists.