3-Year-Old Thai Girl Still In I C U After Left Unattended All Day In Parked School Van

webfact

TRAGEDY
Kindergartener still in ICU

The Nation

30203439-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A three-year-old remained in intensive care yesterday after she was left unattended all day in a parked school van on Wednesday.

"Her brain is swollen," said Saowanee Chaisuparassameekul, a member of the Paediatric Critical Care Medicine unit at Bangkok Hospital.

The teacher and driver were not aware that Manassanan Thongphoo left inside the locked vehicle until the end of the school day. The child's mother, Rattana Nakhonsopa, was told later that her daughter was found unconscious.

Rattana has called on the Pavena Foundation for Children and Women for help. Pavena Hongsakul has said she has already reported the case to police for further action.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-05

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow all sorts of thoughts are running through my head about this one? It's quite worrying how simple checks were not carried out to prevent something like this happening.

It's also scary to think that sitting in a parked car in the sun all day is so dangerous!?

Yep, heat in a parked car can build quickly,

esp if its in the sun, and windows are closed ( i dont know that was the case in this situation)

First thought was for the safety of the girl :(

Being a parent of a girl in the first year of school, and having been out on group outings with other kids

I know how playful and mischievous they can get.

one can play hide-and-seek with you, without telling you

and the other can play along to see how long they can fool you

all in fun of course.

But it can be dangerous, which is why i discouraged such behavior.

But teachers should be experienced enough to push aside such distractions.

So i can understand, and i cant understand.

such is life i suppose.

Losing track of a child is never good, and can be tragic

like for this little girl :(

What a horrible and reprehensible thing to happen to this little girl. sad.png The system failed her on multiple levels. The driver for not taken a few seconds to do a scan of the inside of the van, the teachers for not keeping track of those in their care. My thoughts go out to the parents and the child.

In some cultures people are taught specifically by parents, and by observations of the general behaviors of society around us to have a high level of responsibility, and a high level of duty of care, both for immediate loved ones and for others. But....

Let's all hope that the little one recovers fully and quickly.

Wow all sorts of thoughts are running through my head about this one? It's quite worrying how simple checks were not carried out to prevent something like this happening.

It's also scary to think that sitting in a parked car in the sun all day is so dangerous!?

In Thailand and countries with a similar climate it's possible to get temperatures in the 140 to 150 degrees F range in only an hour if the vehicle is left in the sun. you're right it is scary.

Well people, it is not part of the Thai culture to manage so carefully something as variable as child attendance at school. When our kids are sick and don't go to school, sometimes the teacher will call to ask why the child hasn't showed up in school and other days...no call. It just isn't ingrained in their culture to manage these types of issues.

Given the Thai culture is what it is and no amount of ranting on this forum is going to change it, we just need an emergency exit system on the bus that can be opened from the inside. This is mandatory on all buses in the US. Why the little girl didn't scream or try to get anybody's attention or open the door to leave the bus?

Finally, the driver or teacher will never be brought up on charges in Thailand. That is very naive. She has a reasonable chance for recovery under proper care and at least she is in Bangkok Hospital not some rural dungeon, so it seems they are doing their best to give her the best possible care.

• Like 1

What a horrible and reprehensible thing to happen to this little girl. sad.png The system failed her on multiple levels. The driver for not taken a few seconds to do a scan of the inside of the van, the teachers for not keeping track of those in their care. My thoughts go out to the parents and the child.

It does beggar belief that someone transporting such young children wouldn't be on hand to help them off and to check to see if they left any of their belongings behind ... during which process the child could hardly have been over-looked. And if the driver was assumed incapable of that then someone from the school should be present to receive at least these very young children on arrival each morning.

All school bus drivers should have a special license to transport children. Number one to be able to drive and secondly to ensure an IQ above 60.

That is going to be a tough job to fill here.

Well people, it is not part of the Thai culture to manage so carefully something as variable as child attendance at school. When our kids are sick and don't go to school, sometimes the teacher will call to ask why the child hasn't showed up in school and other days...no call. It just isn't ingrained in their culture to manage these types of issues.

Given the Thai culture is what it is and no amount of ranting on this forum is going to change it, we just need an emergency exit system on the bus that can be opened from the inside. This is mandatory on all buses in the US. Why the little girl didn't scream or try to get anybody's attention or open the door to leave the bus?

Finally, the driver or teacher will never be brought up on charges in Thailand. That is very naive. She has a reasonable chance for recovery under proper care and at least she is in Bangkok Hospital not some rural dungeon, so it seems they are doing their best to give her the best possible care.

She may have been trying to scream or shout but we do not know how far away the bus was parked,Maybe she eventually collapsed in exhaustion and passed out---Who knows. I am sitting here trying to write this with tears in my eyes.I feel so bloody annoyed that this poor little girl should have been made to suffer in such a terrible way.My heart goes out to you my darling.Do not give in.Come back to us soon.God bless you------------ Dougal the shattered Kiwi

• Like 2

She may have been trying to scream or shout but we do not know how far away the bus was parked,Maybe she eventually collapsed in exhaustion and passed out---Who knows. I am sitting here trying to write this with tears in my eyes.I feel so bloody annoyed that this poor little girl should have been made to suffer in such a terrible way.My heart goes out to you my darling.Do not give in.Come back to us soon.God bless you------------ Dougal the shattered Kiwi

I share your feelings. The one thing that gets to me is children suffering.