3-Year-Old Thai Girl Still In I C U After Left Unattended All Day In Parked School Van

webfact

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be a Case of a Roll Call , or at least an assesment of who is actually on the Drivers Bus ..Because they are such young Children , a form of " Buddy " system could be appropriate ..

With Children as young as 2 and 3 Attending school , it particularly important that they are monitored . Then secondary ..there is the Class room Check ..Wheres XYZ ? has anyone seen her ?? , The little girl is obviously catching the bus on her own which also carries a great deal of Risk .

I believe children are over protected in the Western World and this does not build Character and Responsibility , there are many things that I like about the Way Thai's do it ..But , this time the poor little girl has been Failed by the System , and she certainly deserves better , Being so young she may have even fallen asleep ? I've seen this happen ..

Most importantly my thoughts are wiith this poor little Child , and I really Wish and Pray ..that somehow she can fully recover , this is an absolute Tradegy .

One must ask oneself does the classroom teacher actually take a register of children present for school each morning, and do they investigate any students absentees ??

A quick chat with the driver to confirm a child is indeed missing, if so backed up by a phone call to the family to verify a child is at home.

Obviously a "communication breakdown" or more simply the school has no check system in place!!

In this instance someone must be held accountable in the very least for their actions in leaving the child in the van & the school for not having a correct procedure!!

Little I guess will actually happen, a bunch of flowers for the mother & a lame apology.

When I was a school teacher in a high school, I had to take the register in every class I took, but I always waited till about five minutes before the class finished, for obvious reasons.

They arrest dumb mothers and fathers on the spot in the US for this kind of thing. Rightly so. Temperatures inside a car reach 140 F in Los Angeles--I can't even imagine what that would be like in Thailand. Poor kid. Hope she recovers.

The best defence against issues like this is Never Litigation or Arrest ..The most important defence is Education , particularly on the Dangers involving this kind of issue . Its a lack of Systems that was the problem here .

The situation you refer to ( Cars ) is often a Drug / Gambling problem .

Thats what makes this Case all the More Tragic ..Also , the school starting Age , Not sure if this is good or bad , up for Debate .

All school bus drivers should have a special license to transport children. Number one to be able to drive and secondly to ensure an IQ above 60.

In that case how many bus drivers in this country would qualify?

• Like 1

It should be a Case of a Roll Call , or at least an assesment of who is actually on the Drivers Bus ..Because they are such young Children , a form of " Buddy " system could be appropriate ..

With Children as young as 2 and 3 Attending school , it particularly important that they are monitored .

In the three schools I've worked for there were always head counts performed when we went on trips etc. And those were older kids. I think this is just an isolated case of one inept teacher and one clueless driver. Edited by Fullstop

if it was my child teacher would not be smiling ,like she did on tv, she would be in I.C.U.

It's a reactionary smile. They smile when they're nervous. Thais will smile in many situations what we think odd, but other Thais can tell which kind of smile it is. They don't call it LOS for nothin' !

LOS? Does that mean Land of Stupidlty?

I can not imagine the fear which was going through this poor little girls mind as she found that no one would come to rescue. She must of been terrified.

I hope that this poor little girl recover's

• Like 2

School bus drivers in Chiang Mai are some of the worst drivers anywhere, they charge around with lights flashing and a huge sign in their front window as though they are on a mission from God. Rarely is their standard of driving even close to being good and the idea that the kids under their management should be forced to wear seatbelts is something that hasn't occured to them.

I don't think anyone should be forced to wear seatbelts, yes, I know they save lives, but they have cost them as well. It should be a personal choice.

School bus drivers in Chiang Mai are some of the worst drivers anywhere, they charge around with lights flashing and a huge sign in their front window as though they are on a mission from God. Rarely is their standard of driving even close to being good and the idea that the kids under their management should be forced to wear seatbelts is something that hasn't occured to them.

I don't think anyone should be forced to wear seatbelts, yes, I know they save lives, but they have cost them as well. It should be a personal choice.
I suppose the same applies with motorbike helmets?

It is common that there will be no reaction when a kid is missing. Oh.. we ask later or call later or tomorrow we ask about her. In Europe the teachers have the obligation to react at once, so a missing kid will be traced quick. People assume to much. So... who is to blame? The kid? Teachers? Driver?.......The parents?

I respectfully disagree. According to the CDC US seat belts prevent drivers and passengers from being ejected during a crash. People not wearing a seat belt are 30 times more likely to be ejected from a vehicle during a crash. More than 3 out of 4 people who are ejected during a crash die from their injuries.

• Like 1

No, what are the chances of a motorbike helmet causing someones life? People have been drowned or burnt to death in vehicles because their seatbelts stopped them getting out in the event of a crash.

Prosecute the driver, teacher and school director to the full extent of the law, then make them responsible for all the medical cost for treatment and compensation payments. I hope the little girl make a full recovery, she must have been terrified if the heat inside the van, who knows how long she cried for until she passed out from heat exhaustion.

• Like 1

For kids?

I respectfully disagree. According to the CDC US seat belts prevent drivers and passengers from being ejected during a crash. People not wearing a seat belt are 30 times more likely to be ejected from a vehicle during a crash. More than 3 out of 4 people who are ejected during a crash die from their injuries.

I know what you are saying, but the fact is that people have been drowned and burnt to death because of seatbelts. I agree though that probably more people have been saved than not by their seatbelts.

One must ask oneself does the classroom teacher actually take a register of children present for school each morning, and do they investigate any students absentees ??

A quick chat with the driver to confirm a child is indeed missing, if so backed up by a phone call to the family to verify a child is at home.

Obviously a "communication breakdown" or more simply the school has no check system in place!!

In this instance someone must be held accountable in the very least for their actions in leaving the child in the van & the school for not having a correct procedure!!

Little I guess will actually happen, a bunch of flowers for the mother & a lame apology.

Regrettfully in this situation, like so many others in Thailand, their is no accountability, or responsibility. Oblivious teachers, drivers, school admin folks do the least amount of work to end their school day. They should all be flogged!

For kids?

No, the kids parents.

Sorry , Its an Absolute No Brainer with Seat Belts ... Seat Belts Save Lives ..Bike Helmets ..Save Lives ..Pure and Simple .

All the Statistics support the Above ..Beyond ANY doubt . Seat belts should be manditory .

• Like 1

Belts save more lives than one might attempt to claim they cost. Personal choice for three year olds doesn't, I suggest, extend to the wearing of a belt.

In any case, this is irrelevant. No bus in Thailand will have harnesses for three year olds.

Prosecute the driver, teacher and school director to the full extent of the law, then make them responsible for all the medical cost for treatment and compensation payments. I hope the little girl make a full recovery, she must have been terrified if the heat inside the van, who knows how long she cried for until she passed out from heat exhaustion.

According to the other paper, the teacher at Anongvet Kindergarten School , Daoruang Srisamung, has been charged with recklessness resulting in serious injury. The driver, Santiparb Wanja, was also charged with recklessness, but failed to show up to answer the charges.

Meanwhile, the child, Manassanan Thongphu, remains unconscious in a coma with cerebral edema.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

No, what are the chances of a motorbike helmet causing someones life? People have been drowned or burnt to death in vehicles because their seatbelts stopped them getting out in the event of a crash.
The problem is that the people who choose not to wear seat belts also let their babies and children sit unrestrained in a vehicle. You tell me the odds of children surviving in the event of a serious crash, they would either be imbedded in the back of someone's head or projected through the windscreen onto the road.

Well, yes, throw the driver into the slammer, fine the school responsibles privately (not payable by the school funds) etc. etc. Nothing will happen except possibly the question, why a three year old goes to school.
In my days we entered kindergarten with 5 years and then started official school two years later. Prior to that we were brought up ....... at home. Having said that it remains unacceptable to treat a child like that. Welcome to the hub of children education!

• Like 1

Belts save more lives than one might attempt to claim they cost. Personal choice for three year olds doesn't, I suggest, extend to the wearing of a belt.

In any case, this is irrelevant. No bus in Thailand will have harnesses for three year olds.

Yes, I have said that in another part of this thread. It really is difficult though, just imagine you are driving along the road with your'e seatbelt on, a crash is about to occur, you have less than a seconds warning, you can't duck to avoid the steering wheel crushing your'e chest because you are wearing your'e seatbelt, There are so many rights and wrongs about wearing seatbelts.

Well, yes, throw the driver into the slammer, fine the school responsibles privately (not payable by the school funds) etc. etc. Nothing will happen except possibly the question, why a three year old goes to school.

In my days we entered kindergarten with 5 years and then started official school two years later. Prior to that we were brought up ....... at home. Having said that it remains unacceptable to treat a child like that. Welcome to the hub of children education!

In My Days ??

Depends on the Country I guess ... Australia is 3 for Kindergarden .. In Thai they call it School ( You wear a Uniform etc ) , but its Really just Kindergarden , Its not a bad idea to be honest , gets the kids well prepared . as I said its another Debate altogether

The problem here is a vastly different Matter .

Poor child, stupid (selfish, uncaring) people.

I pray for her full recovery.

I wonder if a 3 year old could actually open a bus door?
Depending on the type of lock it could be impossible and at best a hard job requiring strength that a little one would not have.

Although the discussion on seatbelts is off topic:
Please remember that unbelted people not only kill themselves but also passengers in front of them.

They should be mandatory and it should be enforced.

There are always examples that challenge the rule but on balance, the statistics show they save lives overall.

• Like 1

True .... Seatbelts would not have Changed the situation here ..No Doubt . However , for those who have had to Take A thai Child back to the West and Explain the use of a Car Harness ( at 16 Months ) , you will understand that all of this is based around education .

Its a Pure and Absolute fact that seat belts Save 10s of thousands of lives Every year . But , you need to Edcuate ..to be unrestrained in a Mobile Vehicle is Crazy ..for Anyone . The Action of putting on the Seat Belt , should be no different to putting on the Motor Bike Helmet .

• Like 1