Yingluck Asks Public To Set Temperature At 26 C To Help Conserve Energy

webfact

Get rid off plastic bags

??

Maybe is different up there ?

I always recycle, where I lived for 13 years there was no such thing as rubbish collectors or trucks, still do the same here...

2 big bags 1x = everything that is clear plastic, the other everything that is coloured or dark, take with me every couple of months and get some money...... clear = 19 baht per kg, coloured = 15 baht per kg...sometimes have something tin, metal or electric, glass..... can never work out why so few do it, for me is just normal + always appears I get 350 - 500 baht every couple of months.. for rubbish ...... noticed here for years that the men collecting the rubbish sort as they go.. here you can sell anything and everything..

If I ever go into a City often notice people sorting out the rubbish bins, plastic, glass, cans etc, yep they go and sell it and get some money, maybe to live for that day.

I put all my plastic and glass bottles into separate black garbage bags and dump them at the recycling bins down at the end of the soi every few weeks. I never thought to to sell the stuff myself. Thanks for the tip.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They should target also the upmarket mansions that feature as locations in the TV 'soaps'. Notice how, even in the daytime, every visible light in the house is ON with sunlight streaming through the expensive luxury drapes and blinds!

in the old days, when you turn things off, it was "off".

Now days, when you turn thing off, its actually "asleep".

People dont want to wait for things to power up and finish its bootup period. So manufactures designed appliances to "sleep". In the "off" state, the clock may be still running, its in/out circuits are still on, waiting for you to use your remote. This may be called the "overhead" power, or the quiescent power for the system. This "overhead power" while its much less than the "on" power, still adds up to a lot of power draw, if you count the numbers.

Again, set your thermostats higher

use fans instead of AC where possible

turn off all unused lights

If everyone contributes, that should be enough to push off blackouts.

This is not that uncommon in other countries

as well as the belly-aching about it smile.png

If you're near my age, then you'll remember a time WITHOUT AC

be thankful for what you've got biggrin.png

If you turn off your air con but don't turn off the breaker switch you still use a lot of electricity.

Can you please explain the logic behind your statement?

Simple answer no. Two Thai electricians told us to turn off the breaker. I thought they were mad. I looked at the meter with the T.V. and computer on and it was going round like a rocket. I turned off the a/c breaker and the meter slowed right down. Check it out for yourself.

People dont want to wait for things to power up and finish its bootup period. So manufactures designed appliances to "sleep". In the "off" state, the clock may be still running, its in/out circuits are still on, waiting for you to use your remote. This may be called the "overhead" power, or the quiescent power for the system. This "overhead power" while its much less than the "on" power, still adds up to a lot of power draw, if you count the numbers.

If you turn off your air con but don't turn off the breaker switch you still use a lot of electricity.

Simple answer no. Two Thai electricians told us to turn off the breaker. I thought they were mad. I looked at the meter with the T.V. and computer on and it was going round like a rocket. I turned off the a/c breaker and the meter slowed right down. Check it out for yourself.

The TV and computer we understand but not the aircon you mention. Its common knowledge about the tv and computer not the aircon.

If you don't believe me, turn off everything and see if your meter is moving. Mine does. I go back in the house and turn off the a/c breaker and the meter stops. Since turning off the breaker I have seen B400 per month drop on my bill per air con unit. It's your money so up to you.

Ok I will take the challenge and report back to you shortly.

Number of quotes got me again.

Ok I will take the challenge and report back to you shortly.

Test done. I have three aircons in the house. Unplugged everything. Turned off all breakers except the three aircons. Checked my meter. It was turning slowly and took ten minutes to make one revolution. So this means the computer chips in the three aircons are indeed using electricity but a miniscule amount.

Might as well turn off the A/C altogether as to put it as high as 26c, that's almost 79F, WAY TOO HOT !

Wow...how on earth can you survive in this country if you think 26 is too hot. I don't think you would want to switch off the air-con when its 39 to 42 outside - and it was around 39 last week when I was driving across town (in fact the exterior temp meter on the car showed 46, but after about 15 minutes and driving in the shade it cooled down to 39). Songkran its usually in the 40's....

It all depends on the humidity. Yesterday's 40 degrees was tolerable in the afternoon, in the shade, sitting on the veranda, because the humidity was 27 percent--at least according to the DM weather gauge. But, for me, 30-33 degrees and 60 percent or above humidity is absolutely hellish. I can't live without retreating to the a/c. Today is shaping up as another low humidity day. Okay, as long as you don't need to work in it or do strenuous exercise. And, of course, the poor people with continuing exposure and no way to even cool down to 26 at night are really suffering.

Wow, 26C is too hot? We barely run our AC units below 28 here!

You better buy a fan then. Mine are running 24c during the day, and 20c during the night smile.png

Holy crap! TWENTY degrees at night - that's freezing - how the hell do you sleep in that?

You better buy a fan then. Mine are running 24c during the day, and 20c during the night smile.png

Holy crap! TWENTY degrees at night - that's freezing - how the hell do you sleep in that?

i think under a thick blanket

why not turn off the bloody ac ,go sit outside in the shade , make hot water and cook rice on gas or charcoal or go eat outside support the local restaurants

many ways to reduce power usage even with reducing the amount of water one uses less water gone saves power on hours of pumping it up

and with songkran would save allot if they limit the amount of giant p.a. systems you dont need 40.000 watt music power to listen to some music in a bar

Go out side sit in the shade or sit in an AC bar.

Just seems to be some thing wrong with that logic,

why not turn off the bloody ac ,go sit outside in the shade , make hot water and cook rice on gas or charcoal or go eat outside support the local restaurants

many ways to reduce power usage even with reducing the amount of water one uses less water gone saves power on hours of pumping it up

and with songkran would save allot if they limit the amount of giant p.a. systems you dont need 40.000 watt music power to listen to some music in a bar

Go out side sit in the shade or sit in an AC bar.

Just seems to be some thing wrong with that logic,

tell me where does it mention ac bar ??

Anything that you can use a remote control to switch on or off has to use electricity to maintain the monitoring circuits required to receive the commands from the remote and then to activate the main power circuit to the device.

That means ANY device that uses a remote - TV, Set top box, radio, amplifiers, air-con, fans, etc

Any device that has a clock function showing a display obviously uses power all the time - Microwave, dishwasher, washing machine etc.

There is a very good list and it shows the average household usage of devices that use "standby current" to maintain normal services on this site - http://www.energyrating.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/Energy_Rating_Documents/Library/Standby_Power/Standby_Power/200610-standby-current-status.pdf

It is however, based on typical Australian homes, so the figures would be fair and reasonable for say middle class homes in Bangkok, but need to be paired back for home usage for many lower income people. The interesting thing is the average figures for each device type.

• Like 1

i think under a thick blanket

I would need bed-socks and thermal underwear...! :)

• Like 1

If you don't believe me, turn off everything and see if your meter is moving. Mine does. I go back in the house and turn off the a/c breaker and the meter stops. Since turning off the breaker I have seen B400 per month drop on my bill per air con unit. It's your money so up to you.

Also turn of all electronics like a TV at the machine itself. Using the remote to turn them off they still draw power.

As for using lights Florescent need more power to turn them on and it can be cheaper to let them stay on some times. Incandescent use less to turn them on and more to run them and is often best to turn them off.

Anything that you can use a remote control to switch on or off has to use electricity to maintain the monitoring circuits required to receive the commands from the remote and then to activate the main power circuit to the device.

That means ANY device that uses a remote - TV, Set top box, radio, amplifiers, air-con, fans, etc

Any device that has a clock function showing a display obviously uses power all the time - Microwave, dishwasher, washing machine etc.

There is a very good list and it shows the average household usage of devices that use "standby current" to maintain normal services on this site - http://www.energyrating.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/Energy_Rating_Documents/Library/Standby_Power/Standby_Power/200610-standby-current-status.pdf

It is however, based on typical Australian homes, so the figures would be fair and reasonable for say middle class homes in Bangkok, but need to be paired back for home usage for many lower income people. The interesting thing is the average figures for each device type.

Excellent link. Thanks.

unplugging all electrical appliances not in use during 2pm and 3pm,

I know it is early in the day and I've only had one cup of coffee but
if an electrical appliance is not in use how is it consuming
electricty?

Don't blame her for this. She got a call from Abu Dhabi!

Might as well turn off the A/C altogether as to put it as high as 26c, that's almost 79F, WAY TOO HOT !

We will obviously have to turn our a/c down as normally it's on 27 or 28C. If you can't stand the temperature here why did you come? It's hotter up in the North East as well!

The P.M. is reaching out to who ?? with this message, US here meaning Farangs and fairly well off Thais???

because 80% do NOT have air con to regulate. Yingluck stated "the public" does she mean all you lucky ones that can afford and HAVE.????

Most people do not live the life of luxury, Good advice would tell the NORMAL Thai how THEY can help the situ.

dont know why everyone is going on about this power saving sh*t due to gas shortages...all they had to do was connect a couple of turbines up to the parliment, with amount of hot air that comes out of that building would have got them another 40,000 Mw at least...

• Like 1

The P.M. is reaching out to who ?? with this message, US here meaning Farangs and fairly well off Thais???

because 80% do NOT have air con to regulate. Yingluck stated "the public" does she mean all you lucky ones that can afford and HAVE.????

Most people do not live the life of luxury, Good advice would tell the NORMAL Thai how THEY can help the situ.

give the poor people your aircon then...

• Like 2

give the poor people your aircon then...

Quite welcome as I very rarely use it, Good coment but you did not respond to my Valid coment about Yinglucks message, afraid to answer, or comment ?? assume you don't agree.

Why does ministers come out with these comments that just affect a minority, I have the option and regulate sensibly, P.M should help her people at this time not aim at a few.