Angel City Diners On Sukhumvit Soi 11

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me like this is an American diner, and Americans put mayo on their burgers. I'm planning to check this place out.

I actually don't think most Americans put mayo on their burgers, but I can't prove it. I do understand there is mayo in the sauce on Big Macs but I'm talking about decent non-fast food versions of burgers.

Tends to be a regional preference.

Mayo is de facto on the coasts. Mustard more common in South.

I prefer places that leave the choice to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have wanted to try this place since they started and finally got my chance. Appearance/Ambiance First let me say this is the first diner I have ever entered that had a pool table inside. The layout is similar to a diner but misses on many levels. First of all when you enter the diner you are smacked in the face with club music which again is a 1st for me, but to each his own. Very spacious, very poor use of space IMHO. No child utensils,plates, bowls etc as I was told by the waitress "mai mi". Staff was unable to communicate with me in English. Why would you hire someone who is unable to communicate with the customers? sleep.png While I was seated I did notice them interviewing potential employees, so who knows.

Onto the food. It was average at best. If anyone thinks that this place does a decent burger then its obvious that you have no idea what decent is. The burger was bland, and somewhat small. The burger wasn't very visible unless I lifted the top bun. To me the burger was a big disappointment. However, the bun was descent above expectations for a diner. I also thought I he mayonnaise was better than most places, it tasted as if it was home made. Fries were average at best. The price I found to be a bit high for what you get on the American dishes. The Thai dishes were priced more than fair compared to most restaurants located in and around Sukhumvit.

Would I go again? Nope, I would have to pass. After having had their burger and viewing some of the other dishes that were served as well as the shakes the portion sizes for me, plus lack of friendly service, make it a pass for me. Change a few things and I would give it another try!

Too many burger choices in Bangkok that are bigger and better for the same price!

If you surround yourself by those who are comfortable with mediocrity you are bound to fail when running a restaurant in any country...

Strike 1: there's no pool table inside the diner

Strike 2: there's no club music playing on the jukebox - strictly 50's with a few songs from the 60's-80's which have been added by the manager (his favorite band is the Clash)

Strike 3: the entire wait staff can communicate in English

You're out of there!

Are you sure you ate at Angel City Diner?

Well I have wanted to try this place since they started and finally got my chance. Appearance/Ambiance First let me say this is the first diner I have ever entered that had a pool table inside. The layout is similar to a diner but misses on many levels. First of all when you enter the diner you are smacked in the face with club music which again is a 1st for me, but to each his own. Very spacious, very poor use of space IMHO. No child utensils,plates, bowls etc as I was told by the waitress "mai mi". Staff was unable to communicate with me in English. Why would you hire someone who is unable to communicate with the customers? Posted Image While I was seated I did notice them interviewing potential employees, so who knows.

Onto the food. It was average at best. If anyone thinks that this place does a decent burger then its obvious that you have no idea what decent is. The burger was bland, and somewhat small. The burger wasn't very visible unless I lifted the top bun. To me the burger was a big disappointment. However, the bun was descent above expectations for a diner. I also thought I he mayonnaise was better than most places, it tasted as if it was home made. Fries were average at best. The price I found to be a bit high for what you get on the American dishes. The Thai dishes were priced more than fair compared to most restaurants located in and around Sukhumvit.

Would I go again? Nope, I would have to pass. After having had their burger and viewing some of the other dishes that were served as well as the shakes the portion sizes for me, plus lack of friendly service, make it a pass for me. Change a few things and I would give it another try!

Too many burger choices in Bangkok that are bigger and better for the same price!

If you surround yourself by those who are comfortable with mediocrity you are bound to fail when running a restaurant in any country...

Strike 1:  there's no pool table inside the diner

Strike 2:  there's no club music playing on the jukebox - strictly 50's with a few songs from the 60's-80's which have been added by the manager (his favorite band is the Clash)

You're out of there!

Mmm I didn't imagine the pool table. Maybe they sold it to offset the losses. -_-

The club/techno music was being played over the system for all the patrons to hear. :blink:

And when I ate at this establishment a few weeks ago, the waitress was unable to answer a few basic questions in English regarding the menu and the establishment.Even asked her what country her boss or bosses were from and she didn't have a clue. She preferred to communicate with my partner in Thai than to answer any of my questions in English. -_-

Just because they can say "Hello", doesn't mean they can communicate in English! :ph34r:

It's been a few weeks since our last visit... But in all the prior visits, ACD has never had a pool table.

The music they usually have on the sound system, at least during the daytime of our visits, is older and classic American stuff, kind of in keeping with the diner motif.

But yes, depending on the staff you get, their English skills seem a bit less than you'd expect for that kind of restaurant.

If the prior poster saw a pool table inside, I'd agree, he probably was NOT in ACD.

Yankophileslaugh.png you guys know so little about the US.....

Now a good SOUTHERN restaurant is what we need in LOS, biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, fried okra...licklips.gif

Well, as I said I am American, while having lived in many other places. I prefer to use slang understood by the masses. But I can call it Bubba Land if you want me toclap2.gif

I thought Bourbon Street had all that heart stopping fat stuff, fatback bacon and lard lard and lard........... Personally that stuff is not quite my cup of tea...oops, I mean not my thing, sorry. wai2.gif

I don't know if Bourbon Street Grill really represents American food much less southern food (only roast beef poboy I have had on Ciabata, only nachos topped with shredded meat in sweet BBQ sauce).

It is unfortunate but most of the world associates American food with fast food which is hardly accurate unless one is impoverished. Remember, the US is three times the size of India and has all the culinary diversity to go along with it's size.

Just to clear up a few issues. Most of the world does not associate American food with fast food. It does recognise that a lot of fast food has originated in the US.

As far as The Angel Dinner goes and to stay on topic, it will surely be a challenge to have an American Dinner that caters to westerners in Bangkok. While many folks talk about the pizza and burger restaurants changing their products for the Thai market the challenge would be to attract the Thai market without compromising. The Thai market is where the business is.

Dave

i disagree with you, fast food, is most certainly associated with the states.

The fact that many fast food items are derived from classic american recipes is neither here nor there.

Edited by Maestro
Removed flame

Well I have wanted to try this place since they started and finally got my chance. Appearance/Ambiance First let me say this is the first diner I have ever entered that had a pool table inside. The layout is similar to a diner but misses on many levels. First of all when you enter the diner you are smacked in the face with club music which again is a 1st for me, but to each his own. Very spacious, very poor use of space IMHO. No child utensils,plates, bowls etc as I was told by the waitress "mai mi". Staff was unable to communicate with me in English. Why would you hire someone who is unable to communicate with the customers? sleep.png While I was seated I did notice them interviewing potential employees, so who knows.

Strike 1: there's no pool table inside the diner

Strike 2: there's no club music playing on the jukebox - strictly 50's with a few songs from the 60's-80's which have been added by the manager (his favorite band is the Clash)

You're out of there!

Mmm I didn't imagine the pool table. Maybe they sold it to offset the losses. sleep.png

The club/techno music was being played over the system for all the patrons to hear. blink.png

And when I ate at this establishment a few weeks ago, the waitress was unable to answer a few basic questions in English regarding the menu and the establishment.Even asked her what country her boss or bosses were from and she didn't have a clue. She preferred to communicate with my partner in Thai than to answer any of my questions in English. sleep.png

Just because they can say "Hello", doesn't mean they can communicate in English! ph34r.png

No pool table. No techno on the jukebox.

Well I have wanted to try this place since they started and finally got my chance. Appearance/Ambiance First let me say this is the first diner I have ever entered that had a pool table inside. The layout is similar to a diner but misses on many levels. First of all when you enter the diner you are smacked in the face with club music which again is a 1st for me, but to each his own. Very spacious, very poor use of space IMHO. No child utensils,plates, bowls etc as I was told by the waitress "mai mi". Staff was unable to communicate with me in English. Why would you hire someone who is unable to communicate with the customers? Posted Image While I was seated I did notice them interviewing potential employees, so who knows.

Strike 1:  there's no pool table inside the diner

Strike 2:  there's no club music playing on the jukebox - strictly 50's with a few songs from the 60's-80's which have been added by the manager (his favorite band is the Clash)

You're out of there!

Mmm I didn't imagine the pool table. Maybe they sold it to offset the losses. Posted Image

The club/techno music was being played over the system for all the patrons to hear. Posted Image

And when I ate at this establishment a few weeks ago, the waitress was unable to answer a few basic questions in English regarding the menu and the establishment.Even asked her what country her boss or bosses were from and she didn't have a clue. She preferred to communicate with my partner in Thai than to answer any of my questions in English. Posted Image

Just because they can say "Hello", doesn't mean they can communicate in English! Posted Image

No pool table. No techno on the jukebox.

:(

So I've been following the following thread and kept thinking "Am I losing my mind" well.....I am.

I owe the owner a huge apology as it seems the diner we went into is called the V8 Diner not the Angel City Diner....

Again my sincerest apologies!

I kept thinking how could anyone miss a pool table.Duh

The V8 diner is on the main Sukhumvit Road near Soi 10, adjacent to Sunrise Tacos. The ACD is 500 or so meters down Suk Soi 11 on the opposite side of the main road.

The V8 Diner is also operated in tandem with the Insomnia nightclub there, so their music taste can be different, and it does have a pool table inside.

Ironically, I believe, both V8 and ACD are managed by the same outfit, Eclipse, along with a bunch of other farang oriented places around BKK.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know. It's bonkers. It says the same times on all the promotion posters.

I sent them an email asking what it's all about as it all rather baffling to someone like me who enjoys simplicity.

I'm not sure what's going on with the 5 to 10 pm references on their various promotions.

Recently, I was there for lunch at midday and asked about the daily promotion for that day -- which was listed on the table card also as only being from 5 to 10 pm -- and the waitress assured me I could order the promo item for the promo price.

But, that was one waitress on one day... Who knows whether they have any consistency to those policies.

Well I sent an email last week asking about their website advertised breakfast promotion that their waitresses know nothing about but I never received a reply.

As its right on my doorstep, I had the potential to be a regular customer but it is not looking good for them thus far.

• 1 month later...

Well, the wife and I popped by ACD for dinner last night, and had a meal of various Thai food dishes that was quite good, and not any different from the same items we've ordered there in the past.

A couple things were different, however:

--Whereas they used to provide complimentary and refillable big glasses of ice water, now (or at least last night) they were serving plastic water bottles and small glasses at 40b per order.

--The service staff seemed to be entirely new, at least from when we'd been there the last time maybe two months ago. There was a head waitress or manager there who spoke excellent English and said she'd only been working there about two months, after having moved over from another of Eclipse's properties, the formerly known as Soi 8 Pub.

--Between her and the other girl/waitress who took care of our table, the service was perfectly fine. We were given menu's quickly upon our arrival, our order was taken as soon as we were ready, and the food was delivered in a reasonable amount of time. The follow-up table service also was cheerful and good.

--But I'll note, that when we were there at about 6 pm on Friday night, we were the only customers in the place except for one single other guy who left and then by replaced by another couple.

--They still were playing the video slideshow on the wall and 50's style jukebox music over the sound system, but the music wasn't excessively loud or making any conversation difficult.

--One little demerit: our check was wrong when first delivered, and then was corrected, which we paid, and then I noticed later after leaving that we still had a minor overcharge that I hadn't noticed at the table. So best keep an eye on what you ordered and what's actually listed on the bill.

But overall, it was a perfectly fine dinner with little to complain about. I miss having the big large glasses of complimentary ice water, but there are relatively few comparable restaurants that provide that same free amenity, so I don't consider it a big deal.

So, for anyone who encountered bad or absent table service at ACD in the past, a round of staff turnover seemed to have improved that situation. Give the latest version another try.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So, for anyone who encountered bad or absent table service at ACD in the past, a round of staff turnover seemed to have improved that situation. Give the latest version another try.

Thanks for the update.

OK, we'll probably give it another try in a couple of weeks.

Not me, the overcharge and bill correction is enough to keep me away.

"Well, the wife and I popped by ACD for dinner last night, and had a meal of various Thai food dishes that was quite good..."

I'm happy you and your wife enjoyed your meal, but I would guess that most diners would not be going to the Angel City Diner for Thai food. The restaurant promotes itself as "A true American diner in Bangkok." I think the place should be judged for its American food, not Thai food.

I was very much looking forward to the place opening when I first read about it, but I have read so many bad or mediocre reviews, that I have not bothered to go.

• Like 1

I'll just respond, that most of the negative reviews and comments above seem to be related to past problems with service ... and that attribute is not going to change regardless of what food one orders. And as I mentioned, our service the other day was just fine. Perhaps that past is why they seem to have an entirely new serving staff now.

The bill overcharge issue I mentioned was a minor amount, 20 or 30 baht for one wrongly billed item, and I haven't had that happen with them before. I'm not going to give someplace demerits for a single minor mistake, but I would be watching to make sure it's not a trend with the latest crop of serving staff.

As for the food, we like their Thai food, it's pretty authentic and it's very modestly priced for a full-service restaurant (70-90 baht per dish). But we've ordered their American dishes in the past, particularly their breakfast items, and they were also quite good for things such as their breakfast burrito and peanut butter pancakes.

But for me, when the farang dinner menu entrees start reaching into the 300-400 baht range for single items (plus 17% VAT and Service Charge), I start liking Thai entrees more.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK