How Long Did It Take You Be Accept He Thai Customs.

kevvy

When I first arrived from Australia, I struggled to accept all the Thai customs as I was in Australia for over 50 years. The way people tried and succeeded to rip me off because you are a westerner. From the tourist guides to big companies like Toyota. How the Thai people talk over you when you are talking to some else or will be just plain rude.How they say I will ring you back and never hear from them etc etc. It was that bad I decided to go back to Australia with my wife. Then I started to think about all the great things about this country and it hit me how great this is this country after all. Now I cannot wait to see all the country has to offer. So how do you feel about how long it took you to accept the custom or you still haven't

Edited by metisdead
Large font resized to normal.

I never expect to be respected by Thais, with the exception of a few I can be truly friends with. Even then they will always see me as farang.

How was it in your own country? Sure, people in businesses were helpful and nice, but that's the culture. But did they really care about you as a person, or were they just doing their job? Yes, some businesses where you're a regular will begin to know and like you, but walking into a new place to you, the courtesy was just professional courtesy, wasn't it?

I hate the way Thais drive, do business, and a bunch of other things. But I don't go to Thailand for the Thais except the occasional cute bird. Hey, they know that and maybe that's why they rightfully don't respect me. Why would I care?

In my home country I've lived in the same town or just outside of it forever. I mean forever. So I know all of my neighbors and consider them friends. I know many business owners and employees and there is a personal relationship. Maybe one could get that in Thailand given enough time in one spot, but I don't know.

I don't care. I don't go to Thailand to be "one" of them. I could go on a rant and tell you my real opinions of them, but that gets posted enough by others. here.

Have a great day. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

It was that bad I decided to go back to Australia with my wife. Then I started to think about all the great things about this country and it hit me how great this is this country after all.Now I cannot wait to see all the country has to offer.

Maybe first tell us what those great things are you can't wait for.

It can't be the sun as they have that plenty in Australia also I guess.Is it the cheap accomodation, the cheap food or the is it something else you discovered recently.

I can tell you with the hand on my heart, all the things you mentioned in the first lines of your post haven't changed since you left, I may even think they have worsened.

I don't know anywhere outside of a frat house where people earn respect by drinking the most booze, scoring the most skanks, and showing the most disrespect for all people outside their own little circle of boozers.

Yet it seems to be a common expectation among "worldly" expats taking up space on the sidewalk barstools I walk by just about every day.

The Thai folks I work with easily differentiate their respect for the folks that earn their respect, and withhold respect for those who don't. Outside of that, I can only say I have been (in general) treated with kindness and in a respectful manner by the vast majority if Thais I deal with on the street.

It's none of my business whether they truly respect me, just how they treat me.

• Like 2

Perhaps it's a language barrier issue. Would the Thais look at you differently if you spoke the language well?... more than likely.

While i am far from good with the language speaking it opens doors and lowers frustration (not having to rely on the wife / gf for everything). The ripping off happens to Thais too not just farangs.

• Like 1

It was that bad I decided to go back to Australia with my wife. Then I started to think about all the great things about this country and it hit me how great this is this country after all.Now I cannot wait to see all the country has to offer.

Maybe first tell us what those great things are you can't wait for.

It can't be the sun as they have that plenty in Australia also I guess.Is it the cheap accomodation, the cheap food or the is it something else you discovered recently.

I can tell you with the hand on my heart, all the things you mentioned in the first lines of your post haven't changed since you left, I may even think they have worsened.

hi, it is not the cheap rent as have my own house and or the cheap food as still buy the "farang food" , it is just the way of life i am loving now , i know i have felt different in the past , but now i am looking forward to the future as I know where i am heading .

I don't know anywhere outside of a frat house where people earn respect by drinking the most booze, scoring the most skanks, and showing the most disrespect for all people outside their own little circle of boozers.

Yet it seems to be a common expectation among "worldly" expats taking up space on the sidewalk barstools I walk by just about every day.

The Thai folks I work with easily differentiate their respect for the folks that earn their respect, and withhold respect for those who don't. Outside of that, I can only say I have been (in general) treated with kindness and in a respectful manner by the vast majority if Thais I deal with on the street.

I think you summed it up great , I employ Thai worker's and they respect me as a person. yeah sure I pay their wages but I can see the respect they give me and their families do the same . it is a respect you get given by Thai's that money cannot buy IMO

Respect is earnt, from both sides...You are enjoying being here so you have achieved the most important part. Go for it...

The culture thing, takes a long time to ajust to and frustration sometimes holds that back...It's hard to hold back your home culture after you have lived it for more than 50yrs...Thats (IMO) is where the biggest hurdle lies..

Glad you're coping well, doing your own thing....

So...does this mean you're happy to buy the next roundsmile.png

• Like 1

I think you summed it up great , I employ Thai worker's and they respect me as a person. yeah sure I pay their wages but I can see the respect they give me and their families do the same . it is a respect you get given by Thai's that money cannot buy IMO

+ 1. I also think impulse has summed that up right. Aside from the culture shock, respect is something that is earned and not just given randomly.

And for those that don't agree with that, ask yourselves, what qualifies yourself to be respected by the Thais? Because you are white, speak English or come from a 'Western' 1st world country? Sorry, but this is their patch.................wink.png (think of the respect you would have for an alien in your own country)

There are some people (a lot in fact) that will never be expats, and these are generally the ones who cannot adapt to the differences of other people's countries cultures & traditions. This is a statement that is applicable to every country in the known world.

Glad to hear you have had second thoughts about it kevvy, live and enjoy.....................thumbsup.gif

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

Even if I live here for 100 more years, I will never be comfortable with all the local customes.

Nor will all the locals accept me as anything esle than a temporary visitor.

Is there any country in the world where actually all the locals welcome immigrants from other cultures with open arms?

Or where all the immigrants embrace all the customes in their new homeland?

Doubt it.

• Like 2

Overall in my 9 years living here, the most important thing to do is be a decent human,be nice,smile and know at least a little bit of thai.70% Of people who live near me are thai families, the rest thai/farang/westerners,and i always get spoken to in english and thai,they are very respectful,and songkran is lovely where i live,not the mad fat beer guzzling farangs who want to spoil it every year

• Like 2

Travel2003, you say is there a country where the locals accept foreigners?....

I'd say yes. Australia. We must be the most multicultural country in the world.

Dont want to start anything, but your country was after the Howard administration looked upon by many, as more and more right wing, anti immigration country.

fact however is that lots and lots of my Aussie friends always complain about being the only western country in Asia, tus they suffer from mass immigration from those countries.

I bet Canada is the most multi cultural.

Anyhow, thats for another thread somewhere else.

Edited by Travel2003

Travel2003, with respect to the op, without hijacking this thread, also because of the topic not specifically Thai related, I'd have a fair crack at saying Australia is the most multicultural country in the world.

Quick edit, that's percentage per population. Not how many total.

Edited by krisb

Perhaps it's a language barrier issue. Would the Thais look at you differently if you spoke the language well?... more than likely.

and if a Farang speaks the language he gets a discount of 50% on goods and services... i heard wink.png

• Like 2

Travel2003, with respect to the op, without hijacking this thread, also because of the topic not specifically Thai related, I'd have a fair crack at saying Australia is the most multicultural country in the world.

Quick edit, that's percentage per population. Not how many total.

Ok

smile.png

Agree, back to subject.

I think it will be very hard to be able to 100% accept all the various customs in a persons new country.

There are so many things we never even knew existed when we meet another culture.

I'm the only farang where I live. I have no problems with country thais, they don't have that farang sleaze on them like the city ones do.

The only time I see a farang is on my once a year visit to the (american) embassy, and frankly don't miss them one bit.

I'm the only farang where I live. I have no problems with country thais, they don't have that farang sleaze on them like the city ones do.

The only time I see a farang is on my once a year visit to the (american) embassy, and frankly don't miss them one bit.

Yes of course, the Farang brought that industry to Asia.

tongue.png

Yes of course, the Farang brought that industry to Asia.

tongue.png

What industry?

Even if I live here for 100 more years, I will never be comfortable with all the local customes.

Nor will all the locals accept me as anything esle than a temporary visitor.

Is there any country in the world where actually all the locals welcome immigrants from other cultures with open arms?

Or where all the immigrants embrace all the customes in their new homeland?

Doubt it.

no there are probably not many countries that welcome immigrants with open arms , but the immigrants do earn respect in alot of cases.

Respect is earnt, from both sides...You are enjoying being here so you have achieved the most important part. Go for it...

The culture thing, takes a long time to ajust to and frustration sometimes holds that back...It's hard to hold back your home culture after you have lived it for more than 50yrs...Thats (IMO) is where the biggest hurdle lies..

Glad you're coping well, doing your own thing....

So...does this mean you're happy to buy the next roundsmile.png

just as long as you can keep up with me, W

They would look at you very differently...knowing they don't even have to 'Put Falang' to ask you for a loan that'll never be repaid!

• Like 1

If you are not Thai you will never be a Thai and never be excepted, you may be tolerated. but don't kid yourself. its up to you how far you except Thai culture.

You can only be considered to be truly accepted by the Thais if you post on Thai Visa telling people,'If you don't like it go home'!

• Like 1