Getting White Plates For New Car

Has anyone had any trouble with a dealer not getting the white plates and registration for a new car? I bought my car in September 2012. I was told it would take about 2/3 months and I also knew that there was a backlog because of the rebate this year. Still 7 months is a bit much. After quite a lot of conversation, (most of which was nice) I finally got the white plates yesterday. I have been told to wait another 2 weeks for the registration book and my refund. Surely this isn't right??

The issues with getting white plates has been mentioned many times on here before - just do a search to see.

In my limited experience any refund from a dealer will take at least 10 days and often longer. I had a refund for a deposit which took about 2 weeks and the plate refund was around 10 days. The book also came later but I cannot remember exactly how long after.

White plates delay can happen.

But delay in registration book and refund (I presume for red plates) only points to one thing: the dealer held on to your money for months and months in stead of registering it.

Legally, the dealer must supply your plates in 30 days. After 30 days you can be fined by the police, your problem. That is the law.

If you have a problem with the dealer then go to your local Transport office with your paperwork and explain your situation. They will give you a document to deal with the BiB (police). smile.png