Alcohol Ban On Bangla 12Th April

phuketjock

@ dogpoo and @ britpop

In your working years where you civil servants?

Only people with a mind like yours would like to take away any fun that there is in life.

Don't do this, do not ! do that and if you have to do it it let it be controlled by the authorities..... yeez man a lot of us are in Thailand just to get away from this kind of thinking !

You don't like Songran well stay inside, it's only 1 day per bloody year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so Mr gum, you are embracing death during these celebrations, remember innocent people get killed, i can't except your thinking and attitude, your saying it's fun so bugger it if people die, i'm sure you'd think differently if it was a family member.killed, yes it's only 1 day a year, but with nearly the biggest death tole and why should i have to stay indoors, you are saying lets have "mob rule", if the year on year figure showed a decrease and even no deaths then party on, but it doesn't, on the 14th April 2013 check the death tole, if 1 person dies was it really worth it!!!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just curious why there would be an alcohol ban on the 12th? Sangkran is on the 14th through 16th according to my calendars.

My calender too Jimmi but apparently they celebrate it one day earlier in Phuket??

I have never understood why it is clebrated at completely different dates and numbers of days all over Thailand,

my wifes hometown is the 21st this year???? biggrin.png

Songkran is the 13th, same every year. This means the 13th and 14th are days off, and with those days being weekend the days of switch to 15 and 16, hence those days included in calender songkran dates.

Yes, some areas are later.

@ dogpoo and @ britpop

Only people with a mind like yours would like to take away any fun that there is in life.

Don't do this, do not ! do that and if you have to do it it let it be controlled by the authorities..... yeez man a lot of us are in Thailand just to get away from this kind of thinking !

You don't like Songran well stay inside, it's only 1 day per bloody year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so Mr gum, you are embracing death during these celebrations, remember innocent people get killed, i can't except your thinking and attitude, your saying it's fun so bugger it if people die, i'm sure you'd think differently if it was a family member.killed, yes it's only 1 day a year, but with nearly the biggest death tole and why should i have to stay indoors, you are saying lets have "mob rule", if the year on year figure showed a decrease and even no deaths then party on, but it doesn't, on the 14th April 2013 check the death tole, if 1 person dies was it really worth it!!!!!

People don't get killed during celebrations, they get killed driving intoxicated. Don't confure the 2.

• Like 2

My gf brother works for a alcohol distribution place in Patong and he says bars on Bangla,beach rd along with other bars are all stocking up for Songkran sooooooo......

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

@ dogpoo and @ britpop

People don't get killed during celebrations, they get killed driving intoxicated. Don't confure the 2.

Or by people driving intoxicated.

Personally I am against the ban as usually I know where the drunken idiots are likely to be gathered in greater numbers (funnily enough those same places where it looks like the ban will be in effect) and have been able to avoid those places and choose to enjoy some water and fun with more moderately/sensibly behaved folks.

@ dogpoo and @ britpop

Mr gum, so curb or ban the drinking, so whilst they are getting intoxicated, they don't indulge in the water throwing, of coarse they do!!!so the 100's killed every year are all drunk drivers, please check the stat's, drink of coarse plays a part, but are the little kids, teenagers, mothers, dads all throwing water drunk. No!!!!, are the people driving to work drunk, No!!!if drink driving is the culprit, why on every day is there not more deaths within thailand as drink and driving is done every day, the common denominator is "water" on 13th April every year, Mr Gum, do you believe a innocent victim will be killed this year, again if yes, someone should be in court. imagine in the UK if on guy folks night (fireworks night) fireworks were aloud to be thrown at motorbikes, other people and by drunks aswel as everybody, 100's getting killed, there would be a human outcry, the courts would be full. but it's aloud in Thailand, and please don't give me, "well thats why we live in Thailand not to be restricted by those laws" it's simply a water ceremony thats getting out of hand crating needless suffering

Why do foreigners who not come here only for the sun and two week "drunk wetshow" but live here see the need to take part in a celebration which have no relevance to our own religion or Western traditional celebrations?

Why do foreigners who not come here only for the sun and two week "drunk wetshow" but live here see the need to take part in a celebration which have no relevance to our own religion or Western traditional celebrations?

Because it's fun?

Well, its not technically a Thai celebration either (historically)

As for the taking part in "borrowed celebrations" - I see 1000's of non Irish celebrating St Patricks day every year!

@ dogpoo and @ britpop

Mr gum, so curb or ban the drinking, so whilst they are getting intoxicated, they don't indulge in the water throwing, of coarse they do!!!so the 100's killed every year are all drunk drivers, please check the stat's, drink of coarse plays a part, but are the little kids, teenagers, mothers, dads all throwing water drunk. No!!!!, are the people driving to work drunk, No!!!if drink driving is the culprit, why on every day is there not more deaths within thailand as drink and driving is done every day, the common denominator is "water" on 13th April every year, Mr Gum, do you believe a innocent victim will be killed this year, again if yes, someone should be in court. imagine in the UK if on guy folks night (fireworks night) fireworks were aloud to be thrown at motorbikes, other people and by drunks aswel as everybody, 100's getting killed, there would be a human outcry, the courts would be full. but it's aloud in Thailand, and please don't give me, "well thats why we live in Thailand not to be restricted by those laws" it's simply a water ceremony thats getting out of hand crating needless suffering

Again, you're mixing up 2 issues here.

• Like 1

Because it's fun?

Throw water and get thrown water on yourself is fun.........

Because it's fun?

Throw water and get thrown water on yourself is fun.........

Yep...I predict 1000's of people having fun all over the island durin Songkran. Sometimes when it's hot even in Europe you will see kids having water fights...they also find it fun.

• Like 1

Just putting it out there.. but ill be hibernating for the few days it's on.

Once is fun.. but I dread songkran these days

Agree, and that's why I like it here. Just the one day, the 13th.

Just putting it out there.. but ill be hibernating for the few days it's on.

Once is fun.. but I dread songkran these days

I quite enjoy it in and around the village where I live and away from the tourist areas/beaches.

I have a revolutionary technique - after I feel like i've had enough, I go home!

• Like 2

well, lets see what the death toll is for this years Thai new year, can someone post the figure when they know, i reckon for the whole of Thailand less the 10

No, it will definitely be less than 1 for the whole Thailand.

To think it over, maybe there should be some births on the roads.

well, lets see what the death toll is for this years Thai new year, can someone post the figure when they know, i reckon for the whole of Thailand less the 10

From the Bangkok Post around noon on Saturday the 13th:

A total of 62 people were killed and 496 injured in 465 road accidents nationwide on Friday, the second of Songkran's "seven dangerous days" (April 11-17), the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department reported on Saturday.

The department on Friday reported the road death toll at 39.

Combined accidents over the first two days reached 791, with 101 deaths and 838 injuries, according to the department.

Chiang Mai had the most road accidents at 18. Provinces with the most fatalities were Chiang Mai, Kanchanaburi, Khon Kaen, Roi Et and Prachuap Khiri Khan, with three each. Prachuap Khiri Khan had the most injuries at 21. Accident-free provinces were Si Sa Ket and Trat.

The main causes of the accidents were drunk driving and speeding. Motorcycles and pickup trucks were involved in the largest number of accidents.

Edited by iSabai

A total of 62 people were killed and 496 injured in 465 road accidents nationwide on Friday, the second of Songkran's "seven dangerous days" (April 11-17), the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department reported on Saturday.

Combined accidents over the first two days reached 791, with 101 deaths and 838 injuries, according to the department.

Chiang Mai had the most road accidents at 18. Provinces with the most fatalities were Chiang Mai, Kanchanaburi, Khon Kaen, Roi Et and Prachuap Khiri Khan, with three each. Prachuap Khiri Khan had the most injuries at 21. Accident-free provinces were Si Sa Ket and Trat.

The main causes of the accidents were drunk driving and speeding. Motorcycles and pickup trucks were involved in the largest number of accidents.

You are just feeding the troll..

Just curious why there would be an alcohol ban on the 12th? Sangkran is on the 14th through 16th according to my calendars.

Strange that because Songkran always falls on the 13th to 15 th

Songkran is on the 13th, with on the 12th, especially in Patong, already some watergames.

no deaths in phuket though.

no deaths in phuket though.

Wow, i know very sad even if there is 1 death, but 62 deaths is a massive decrease from previous years and not 1 death in Phuket, somebody got something right for once, Happy songkran, good luck to everyone!!!!!

I spent much of yesterday drinking beer at the at Saphan Hin, off to the sidelines at one of the salas as my wife and child 'played Songkran' at the tin mining monument roundabout.

There weren't many other people drinking in the area that I could see.

Unlike years past, there were several pairs of 'patrol police' there who arrived by motorbike. All got completely doused with water and didn't complain about it as hundreds of pickups carrying water in the back passed by in defiance of the supposed ban thereupon.

Authorities not only ignored the law, but took a very active part in breaking it.

Attached see pix of a Phuket City Municipality firefighting truck that was spraying water at people along Phuket Road (though not caught in action here) as well as children playing with water supplied by the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation office on Damrong (Dumbwrong?) Road.

This is the agency that is tasked with preventing accidents and tabulating the death toll...

Given what goes on, I am surprised there aren't more accidents, deaths and injuries that there are.

Anyway, I am glad it's just one day here.

post-40708-0-64448500-1365918077_thumb.j

post-40708-0-51656400-1365918090_thumb.j

• Like 1