Robbed At Tesco Parking Lot

luudee

Last evening about 7PM, my car was burglarized and two Samsung S3

stolen out of it (belonging to my daughters). This was at Tesco Lotus

south Pattaya

The phones where in an old beach bag. Sipped up and not visible.

There are no marks on my car (Fortuner) as to how they opened it.

I suspect they snooped the remote lock of my key as I locked the car

and where able to open it by re-sending the signal.

I'll be going to the police station and will make a report, I have the

serial numbers of the phones, not sure if they are sophisticated

enough to block them here ...

Never leave any valuables in the car !

luudee

This will become more of a problem, thieves can block the remote locking signal using a device that is available in
electronics shops, it keeps the cars lock from locking.

I am told you should use the key or the inside lock or check that the locks have gone down after you press the remote.

• Like 1

This will become more of a problem, thieves can block the remote locking signal using a device that is available in

I am told you should use the key or the inside lock or check that the locks have gone down after you press the remote.

That's a good point. The Fortuner flashes all 4 blink lights when it looks as

a confirmation. That's how I know that it did actually lock. I always look

for that.

Typically we never leave valuables in the car, and the girls where supposed

to bring the phones with them. Kid's are kids and it's my fault for not double

checking.

I am trying to trace the phones - there are several options available - but I'm

not holding my breath ...

I hope this is a good wake-up call for others out there ...

Cheers,

luudee

That's a good point. The Fortuner flashes all 4 blink lights when it looks as

a confirmation. That's how I know that it did actually lock. I always look

for that.

Typically we never leave valuables in the car, and the girls where supposed

to bring the phones with them. Kid's are kids and it's my fault for not double

checking.

I am trying to trace the phones - there are several options available - but I'm

not holding my breath ...

I hope this is a good wake-up call for others out there ...

Cheers,

luudee

Thanks for the report,interesting info,and also for gfetting the kids to bloody listen to adults

When I leave my car I always look for the flashing lights, listen for the "clunk" of the locks and test at least one door handle before leaving.

I do find it surprising that anyone would take the trouble to get into a vehicle that has no bags or valuables visible inside though. I used to run guest accommodation in Europe and over the years we had about 10 people who had their cars broken into during daytime whilst parked in public car parks etc. Without exception they had all left something visible on the seats, though in one instance it was only a bag of vegetables from the market.

• Like 1

I thought the remotes 'code hopped', meaning that the same code is not used twice.

There is a lot of theft going on in these parking lots, a popular one is to steal your spare tyre from under the car, I bet not many check that their spare is still there every time they leave Tesco's.

They may have jammed your doors from locking in the first place using a radio source, that is very feasible.

Very often I accidentally unlock the car when I put my keys in my pocket, but my Vigo is smart enough to realize this and locks it again if a door is not opened within a certain time.

There is a lot of theft going on in these parking lots, a popular one is to steal your spare tyre from under the car,

Theft yes, robberies less so.

I'm not just trying to be pedantic here, they are actually different things. (This not aimed at you, but more for the OP and perhaps others.)

rob

Verb
  1. Take property unlawfully from (a person or place) by force or threat of force.
Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. The upside is you & yours were not hurt in the melee. Maybe best to recode your remote control or have it set to random code to make sure that they can't get in later. If they didn't deface the car they probably used a slim jim to open a closed door if you lock your keys in car.

Any auto body shop or tow service carries this item & unfortunately is readily available for thieves to buy. Most auto remotes come equipped with code hopping but the cheaper models still have a set code. Unfortunately unless you are robbed at gunpoint all the police here do is make a report & if the sun moon & the stars are all in the right alignment....they stumble onto the phone. All of the smart phones & even the semi smart 1800 baht & up track by GPS. So if the police felt like it they could find the phone if it is turned on, But they are to lazy & too busy & don't care to have the GPS triangalated & find the thieves or the person they fenced off the phones to.

The first timme we were robbed at our old house the thieves used a gun(fake with the lights turned off) They got 11 years for having a gun. Phone was trianglated thru Nokia

& AIS. Got phone back one day later & the ruined camera. Second house break in They wouldn't run the check ...Never got phone back. Still better the inconvieniance than a personal confrontation that can go in any direction.

• Like 1

I do not go with the OP theory that his remote was cloned as most if not all use "Code Hopping" technology which never transmits the same code and agree with Rimer's theory though I always listen for the clunking as the locks engage, another theory could be that one of the doors was not shut properly, i know with my van sometime one of the sliding doors does not always shut fully and when I hit the remote I get a double clunk, but it is easy to miss, so always check the doors have manually closed.

As for using the a jamming device if this is what happened then they must have been very close when the used it, it would not be difficult to make devices that could detect the jamming device being used.

Edited by Basil B

I do not go with the OP theory that his remote was cloned as most if not all use "Code Hopping" technology which never transmits the same code and agree with Rimer's theory though I always listen for the clunking as the locks engage, another theory could be that one of the doors was not shut properly, i know with my van sometime one of the sliding doors does not always shut fully and when I hit the remote I get a double clunk, but it is easy to miss, so always check the doors have manually closed.

As for using the a jamming device if this is what happened then they must have been very close when the used it, it would not be difficult to make devices that could detect the jamming device being used.

Yes but somebody would then make a device to jam the device which was detecting the device jamming the remote signal.

Sorry ti hear it. But it sounds like just more bad luck that comes with Samsung . . .

As to whether of was a "robbery," that word get thrown around a bit too loosely. It is ONLY a robbery if there is an assault involved, as with physical threats, guns, knives, baseball bats, etc. Robberies are actually pretty rare in Thailand (certainly so, if compared with the US).

The OP was the victim of a burglary, which is an unlawful breaking and entering of private property. A burglary may or may not involve the theft of property.

Bravo, Winnie. Words should be used properly, especially where we might have a translation issue.

3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native english speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

• Like 1

Was it an armed robbery ?

Duh Let me guess you never read the news & watch any movies Or you just playing coy? Lets see it starts with a gun knife pipe wood in the hand add a robbery & there it is.....but you knew that !

I have had a app on my iPhone for a long time (well 2 actually). The first is called "Find my iPhone" and it works from my computer (Mac) to give the coordinates of where my phone is if it gets lost or stolen.

The other is called "Gotchya" and it is a Cydia app that if someone steals my phone and tries to put in a wrong password the front camera automatically takes a snap-shot and sends their face picture strait to my computer with coordinates. Then I just show the police the persons picture and give them the coordinates when they tried to use a password.

But of $800.00 I never leave it anywhere anyways so it has NEVER been stolen.

I live in Pattaya and over the years the security has gone to zero at most stotes. here in Udon where I am at the moment the car parks of all stores have many security guards patrolling and helping with parking etc. The likes of Tesco have to start and take responsibility for this. They make billions in Thailand, time to give a bit back. A while ago a shop in Tesco was caught selling stolen goods, its still there, the store area' have many stalls selling counterfeit goods.

I have had a app on my iPhone for a long time (well 2 actually). The first is called "Find my iPhone" and it works from my computer (Mac) to give the coordinates of where my phone is if it gets lost or stolen.

The other is called "Gotchya" and it is a Cydia app that if someone steals my phone and tries to put in a wrong password the front camera automatically takes a snap-shot and sends their face picture strait to my computer with coordinates. Then I just show the police the persons picture and give them the coordinates when they tried to use a password.

But of $800.00 I never leave it anywhere anyways so it has NEVER been stolen.

First thing the Thais do is run to the shop and disable that (find my iphone). They already know how to get around it. Been there, done that. You have about 10 - 15 mins to locate and get your phone or it's lost if a phone thief gets it. There are stolen phone shops who they all take them to.

However, the Cydia sounds like it may have potential. Would like to know how that works in a real life situation and you can get to them fast enough. Though, giving the police an image isn't going to get you far.