The Captiva

A friend has one. Uses it as an urban vehicle. He loves it, I think they look very nice, and there aren't many choices that offer that kind of platform and ride. HOWEVER, it is expensive, and a very bad value proposition I think given that Thais, with good reason evidently, don't like Chevys (or Daewoos in Thailand's case).

Thais have never seen a real Chevy or a real nice Chevy SUV BTW.

• Like 1

Ford and Chevy confuse me here. They both sell against themself. Ranger/Mazda B.T.and Chevy Colarado V Isuze D Max. What is the Captive based on i wonder.?. Personally i thing they did great harm to their reputation passing off Daewoos as a the Real Deal.At least if yo buy a Mitsu thats what you get with a PJS.My Sons bought the best non 4W.D. Captiva, i will see it at the Water Hurling Weekend.coffee1.gif

I personally like the looks and feature set of the Captiva...but like many, can't wrap my head around its high price. It is also quite large...almost the size of a Fortuner. It's size will either be a plus or minus depending on one needs and use.

I had a friend who had the top spec version for four years without any problems and liked it. He recently sold it to a tent because he was returning Stateside and got around B825k...pAid around 1.4 I believe.

• Like 1

The diesel Craptiva's are actually quite a nice drive - definitely better behind the wheel then it's closest competition (CR-V) IMHO.

If you can forget Daewoo's design language for a moment, and give it a fresh set of eyeballs, it's a nice looking machine too.

Haven't driven the gasoline version since it got the upgraded donk in 2011, but the older engine definitely felt challenged by the weight of it, as does the CR-V - the diesel feels right on the money though.

Bottom line, between it, the CR-V, the X-Trail and the Escape, and I wasn't basing my decision on factors that would only hit me once I'd finished with it, I'd probably opt for the Chevy. However, If I was throwing all caution to the wind in the sub-2M Baht crossover segment, I might have a hard time choosing between the Captiva and the Hyundai Tuscon though.

• Like 1

Ford and Chevy confuse me here. They both sell against themself. Ranger/Mazda B.T.and Chevy Colarado V Isuze D Max. What is the Captive based on i wonder.?. Personally i thing they did great harm to their reputation passing off Daewoos as a the Real Deal.At least if yo buy a Mitsu thats what you get with a PJS.My Sons bought the best non 4W.D. Captiva, i will see it at the Water Hurling Weekend.coffee1.gif

What is the connection between Mazda-Ford and Chevrolet-Isuzu?

I know there used to be company connections, but these have (almost) completely disappeared.

I know Mitsu own Isuzu now, but despite the changes in ownership, a bit of Ford still bolts on a Mazda, and a lump of Isuzu bolts on a Chevy Truck. I don't mind if they sell a Vehicle as a Clonker G.T. as long as i'm not conned .Chev selling Daewoo as a Chev years back Stinks. Anyway , watch this space for my Clarkson Grumpy assessment next week.Wont be as hard as Him, i love Yank Cars, warts All.biggrin.pngcoffee1.gif

It looks smaller than most to me. Im not looking at read tests ,or any Press Opinions. Ill post mine next Monday.Quite looking forwad to trying it after the Average Fortucan i rented a while back.:thumbsup::coffee1:

The curved looks make it look smaller than it is...it is almost Fortuner size and larger than the Escape or CRV. Fortuner and Captiva I would call 7-person SUVs and the CRV, Escape, CX-5 (when it gets here) 5s.

Like I said, I would have bought my friend's but didn't need a 7 person ride.

The diesel Craptiva's are actually quite a nice drive - definitely better behind the wheel then it's closest competition (CR-V) IMHO.

If you can forget Daewoo's design language for a moment, and give it a fresh set of eyeballs, it's a nice looking machine too.

Haven't driven the gasoline version since it got the upgraded donk in 2011, but the older engine definitely felt challenged by the weight of it, as does the CR-V - the diesel feels right on the money though.

Bottom line, between it, the CR-V, the X-Trail and the Escape, and I wasn't basing my decision on factors that would only hit me once I'd finished with it, I'd probably opt for the Chevy. However, If I was throwing all caution to the wind in the sub-2M Baht crossover segment, I might have a hard time choosing between the Captiva and the Hyundai Tuscon though.

Hyundai is very nice and well spec'ed for the price but the, to me, wierd sculpted design language of Hyundai I can't warm up to, especially on the Tucson. On the Sonata and their smaller car it's fine but it makes the SUV look over designed and "girlie."

For my money, in the sub 2M class and not Fortuner or CRV, I like the Skoda Yeti. I like the boxy design, it's spec'ed to the max, made of Volkswagen and Audi parts, gets rave reviews for safety, handling, and fit and finish. Only problem is that like Hyundai, not well known in Thailand, limited dealer support, and, if important, resale value.

In fact, have been seriously considering the Yeti for about a year and have examined it at both the auto shows and the DAB Bangkok dealer showroom.

^Like you, I've also been considering the sub 2M class for an SUV/Crossover, and yeah, the Hyundai is ok, but concerned with resale a lot because I don't keep these kinds of cars more than about 3 years. I like the Captiva, but don't like its resale chances. I don't like the PJS or other truck chassis SUVs, tired of waiting to see the new Escape if ever, would consider the CX5, but not terribly excited. I like the Benz ML now that it will be assembled in Thailand, but still price too high for what I need. I could go for 7 seater or 5s, but probably leaning towards 7 seater as that vehicle will be used to transport family to Wat excursions, etc.., and borrowed by the brother in law (Who I trust completely).

At the end of the day, the new Tuna will arrive, and like most other sheeple, I'll probably settle for that.

^Like you, I've also been considering the sub 2M class for an SUV/Crossover, and yeah, the Hyundai is ok, but concerned with resale a lot because I don't keep these kinds of cars more than about 3 years. I like the Captiva, but don't like its resale chances. I don't like the PJS or other truck chassis SUVs, tired of waiting to see the new Escape if ever, would consider the CX5, but not terribly excited. I like the Benz ML now that it will be assembled in Thailand, but still price too high for what I need. I could go for 7 seater or 5s, but probably leaning towards 7 seater as that vehicle will be used to transport family to Wat excursions, etc.., and borrowed by the brother in law (Who I trust completely).

At the end of the day, the new Tuna will arrive, and like most other sheeple, I'll probably settle for that.

Over the next 2 years or so, we'll be seeing a new MU-7, new Nissan PPV, new Everest, new PJS and new Fortuner.. I think it'll be even harder to pick a clear winner though ;)

I bought one of the last Japanese Made imported Nissan Big M. Call it about 290K Bht then. Considering Suvs are based on Trucks, a Tin Roof, a few Chairs and Gizmoes have shot them up to 1.5 Mill in some cases. Yes im getting Old, but it makes you wonder .coffee1.gif

No idea but wonder........ same sort of price @ 1.7 million the Volvo V50, how would this fit into this group ? Volvo is well liked in Thailand.

For me on looks and price but gettin on in years now is the Nissan X-Trail, or for around the same price the Suzuki Vitara, but I have no need for a extra big SUV

Edited by ignis

No idea but wonder........ same sort of price @ 1.7 million the Volvo V50, how would this fit into this group ? Volvo is well liked in Thailand.

For me on looks and price but gettin on in years now is the Nissan X-Trail, or for around the same price the Suzuki Vitara, but I have no need for a extra big SUV

Smallest Volvo SUV is baht 3M (XC-60)...twice the price of the other SUVs being discussed here. It's a very nice vehicle...just silly expensive. Also screwed together in malaysia so don't know about fit and finish quality.

The V50 is a car so not really applicable here.

I ordered an XC60 last year and when it arrived at the Bkk showroom the multi-media screen was clearly off by an angle of about 15%. The showroom promised to fix this before delivery, but when I went to take the delivery there were scratches around the dash area which the sales staff said could be "fixed" by retouching. Needless to say, I asked for my deposit back (took about 2 months to process) and I booked the new X3 instead (20% more expensive but worth it I think). How the Malaysians allowed such an obvious aesthetic defect to leave their factory boggles the mind.

SUV's are the highest profit margin vehicles for auto companies. It probably keeps the price of the small vehicles down.

Higher badges within a particular model are always more profitable, yes. i.e. Chev make a bag more money out of the 1.58M Baht LTZ 2.4L Captiva than they do out of the 1.20M Baht LS version, but you can't logically deduce that the same 2.4L 1.20M Baht LS Captiva nets them more profit than a 1.25M Baht 2.0L Cruze LTZ does...

Edited by IMHO

Apologies for the slight change of direction on the thread here, but a similar product to the Captiva would be the Kia Sorento which has finally made an appearance on the Yontrakit web site. The car has had very good reviews in other markets and with what I believe to be a decent diesel engine it would seem a good alternative to the Captiva.

Not sure about prices, but from initial rumours I assume that it would be in the same ball park as the higher spec diesel Captive??

I ordered an XC60 last year and when it arrived at the Bkk showroom the multi-media screen was clearly off by an angle of about 15%. The showroom promised to fix this before delivery, but when I went to take the delivery there were scratches around the dash area which the sales staff said could be "fixed" by retouching. Needless to say, I asked for my deposit back (took about 2 months to process) and I booked the new X3 instead (20% more expensive but worth it I think). How the Malaysians allowed such an obvious aesthetic defect to leave their factory boggles the mind.

The Thais have been slapping cars together going on 20 years or longer now and seem to have it down pretty,good. The fit and finish of Thai assembled Japanese, German and American models seems pretty good to me. I would not buy any of the aforementioned brands models that were assembled elsewhere in ASEAN, however. This would include all Volvos and Puegeots (malaysia) Nissan X-Trail (Indonesia), Ford Excape (Philippines), some Fortuners (Indonesia) and others that I'm unawares of.

Another reason I like the Skoda Yeti, it's made in their chek factory to European standards I'd quality control (for half the price of either the Volvo or BMW).

Smallest Volvo SUV is baht 3M (XC-60)...twice the price of the other SUVs being discussed here. It's a very nice vehicle...just silly expensive. Also screwed together in malaysia so don't know about fit and finish quality.

Yes but was talking about the V50 is an Wagon/Estate.......... The XC60 is 4x4 many of the SUV's now a day are 2 wheel drive, some have the option to have in 4x4...

The real question is why are people buying 2x4 SUV's ? I live in a little Village 63 houses, house built 10 years ago so I know everyone here, I am the only non Thai, so in this past year, 4 have bought 2 wheel drive SUV's, the house across the road are thinking about it, just the man drives, they have a saloon and a pickup with canopy.......... Thais have NO option here for a normal priced Estate/Wagon, so they must have car + truck, or a SUV..

Many friends all over Thailand have in the past few years bought a SUV or PPV to replace there saloon + truck

The real question is why are people buying 2x4 SUV's ?

This isn't just a Thai phenomenon - SUV's are displacing sales of everything from the C/D segments, to pickups, and estates the world over.

While estates have never been a particularly large segment in TH, with buying trends continually gravitating towards the SUV form factor it's very much a niche segment nowadays.

I Asked why did You Choose a Captiva ?.. REPLY.. It Looks Cool. That's about all young folks care about i guess. Asked about Airbags. I dunno, don't care, the Sound Systems great though.. . Cant say a thing, that's about all i cared about at his age.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Yes but was talking about the V50 is an Wagon/Estate.......... The XC60 is 4x4 many of the SUV's now a day are 2 wheel drive, some have the option to have in 4x4...

The real question is why are people buying 2x4 SUV's ? I live in a little Village 63 houses, house built 10 years ago so I know everyone here, I am the only non Thai, so in this past year, 4 have bought 2 wheel drive SUV's, the house across the road are thinking about it, just the man drives, they have a saloon and a pickup with canopy.......... Thais have NO option here for a normal priced Estate/Wagon, so they must have car + truck, or a SUV..

Many friends all over Thailand have in the past few years bought a SUV or PPV to replace there saloon + truck

Isn't an SUV (even 2x4) the best of both worlds?

For me, it's the increased safety from bigger size and better visibility from increased vehicle height. I only cars for 20 years but once I bought my first SUV 10 years ago, I could never go back.

An estate model is neither fish or fowl...might as well just buy a hatchback.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I Asked why did You Choose a Captiva ?.. REPLY.. It Looks Cool. That's about all young folks care about i guess. Asked about Airbags. I dunno, don't care, the Sound Systems great though.. . Cant say a thing, that's about all i cared about at his age.coffee1.gif

In their defence, it's reasonable to assume that in this day and age that brand-name products should simply work as advertised - the days of lemons, poor engineering, and major manufacturing defects ought to be well behind us.

It's only car nuts that still dissect these things down to the tiniest detail, and make their buying decisions from the bottom line of massive spreadsheets they've spent weeks putting together - the rest of the populous buys on looks, price and included gadgets ;)

• Like 2