When To Retire?

Gweiloman

I took am early retirement at age 55 that was my first available date . My feelings were everyday I wait is one less day I can truley enjoy myself . I was acually in Thailand 20 days before my retirerment was official I get a monthly pension check that doesnt set the world on fire but allows my wife and I the ability to live very comfortable . Would I like to work at something here YES but I dont have to thats the clincher . The first year was culture shock but after that it gets better .... One thing I can say I could not live as good in my home country ,,,

• Like 1

A topic near and dear to my heart, as this decision has been thrust upon me within the last week. The MNC where I work is going through a re-org and about 40% of the employees are going to get the boot. I am not on the "list" of those to go and they don't want me to leave, but I was made an offer late last week that if I am going to retire in the next 1 - 2 years, then I could go now and receive a package which would basically negate me having to work for the next 2 years to receive the same compensation, along with vesting of options I have in the company, plus a nice pension. My departure would also save someone else on the "list" from getting the boot.

I have contemplated "how much is enough" so many times that I can't count them. I've run every scenario, every destination, every variation and all the numbers tell me that I can pull the plug anytime I want and live a reasonable life anywhere in the world. And even better lifestyle should I return to Thailand or anywhere else in SEA. What you cannot foresee is changes in the future, although you can second-guess yourself to death. I just can't seem to get past the cognitive dissonance I am having about starting the next chapter of my life. When you have worked your entire life, contemplating an end to it is difficult. I am in a senior management position with a MNC, with all the perks that go along with it. The flip side is that it is an extremely high-stress position and I put in roughly 60 hours a week. I enjoy what I do, but have been at this career for 30+ years I am getting tired. I'm in my mid 50's, no wife, no kids, no debt. I am just plain tired of the rat-race and my home country as it is swirling down the porcelain convenience faster than you can say boo, but I haven't been able to make myself pull the trigger and lay the shovel down. This offer from my company makes the decision a no-brainer, so it looks like I will be joining the ranks of vagabonds in pursuit of the 9th level of consciousness.

You're right in that this is pretty much a no-brainer, save for one aspect. What will you do next?

In my case, I have a young family so that takes up a large part of the social calendar. Coupled with my hobbies of riding and touring on my bike, golf, DIY projects etc, I will struggle even if retired to find the time to fit all these in. However, you're single. That's a whole different ballgame. I'm sure you will not spend all your waking hours sitting in a barstool somewhere.

How do you intend to spend your time?

That is a really good question. I have many hobbies myself and my personal time (what little I have) is divided among my personal interests. I am sure that re-structuring my life will be a work in process, but I expect that I will continue with my hobbies, take language courses, pursue the fairer sex in search of a lasting relationship, travel the region, etc... I also am entertaining taking a position with another MNC that is opening an office in Singapore. It's a US company that is expanding to SEA and they are looking for three senior management level people to head up the office in Singers. If I take this position, then I would work with them for 2 - 3 years until their business is on it's feet, then turn the reigns over to someone else. All speculative as will not put the cart before the horse. I must make a decision about my current position before pursing another position with another company. All part of the cognitive dissonance where I feel that I am too young to retire, even though I've earned it and have the means to do so.

OP......Fill your boots up, err on the side of caution, if you have been reading this forum recently you will have seen the amount of people who have found themselves under financial stress due to circumstances changing out-with their control after retirement.

It's difficult going on impossible to re-enter the job market at the same level if things go wrong once you are over 50, and certainly over 60. I would sit down with the wife and discuss an exit plan aimed at 60 with flexibility, then I would open an additional retirement savings account and take great pleasure in watching it fill up. That would keep me going. Once you get to 60, see how you feel and re-evaluate then.

Don't rush out of the labour market when you have a young child, at the very least get him into primary education before considering quitting your job.

• Like 1

OP - I can feel you brother - I am 54 and also work for a multinational and travel a fair bit internationally - which was great for the first few years but soon lost it's appeal when most of my time was spent in hotels and planes. I had always wanted to retire before 55 and was almost there 5 years ago when my bride of 20 years decided she liked someone else better than me - after the costly divorce - I started saving like mad to build up my retirement fund again, but alas my home country has become too expensive to retire in - my savings would last about 10 years at best.

But I am remaining true to my promise to myself, and will retire in Thailand in about 4 months time. Yes my lifestyle will take a hit if you measure it in 5 star hotels - but it will take a big boost if you measure it by freedom - something my wage slave dad never had before he died at the age of 56. I say don't wait too long to enjoy life - no regrets and don't look back.

My Dad retired at 55 and my brother at 57. My brother was planning to retire when he died at 56. (Both were heavy smokers)

• Like 1

A topic near and dear to my heart, as this decision has been thrust upon me within the last week. The MNC where I work is going through a re-org and about 40% of the employees are going to get the boot. I am not on the "list" of those to go and they don't want me to leave, but I was made an offer late last week that if I am going to retire in the next 1 - 2 years, then I could go now and receive a package which would basically negate me having to work for the next 2 years to receive the same compensation, along with vesting of options I have in the company, plus a nice pension. My departure would also save someone else on the "list" from getting the boot.

I have contemplated "how much is enough" so many times that I can't count them. I've run every scenario, every destination, every variation and all the numbers tell me that I can pull the plug anytime I want and live a reasonable life anywhere in the world. And even better lifestyle should I return to Thailand or anywhere else in SEA. What you cannot foresee is changes in the future, although you can second-guess yourself to death. I just can't seem to get past the cognitive dissonance I am having about starting the next chapter of my life. When you have worked your entire life, contemplating an end to it is difficult. I am in a senior management position with a MNC, with all the perks that go along with it. The flip side is that it is an extremely high-stress position and I put in roughly 60 hours a week. I enjoy what I do, but have been at this career for 30+ years I am getting tired. I'm in my mid 50's, no wife, no kids, no debt. I am just plain tired of the rat-race and my home country as it is swirling down the porcelain convenience faster than you can say boo, but I haven't been able to make myself pull the trigger and lay the shovel down. This offer from my company makes the decision a no-brainer, so it looks like I will be joining the ranks of vagabonds in pursuit of the 9th level of consciousness.

Staying on would be extremely selfish.

Give up the job you don't need and give a chance to someone else.

I think one thing people forget who work a lot is how to productively fill your days once you stop working. I personally don't think hitting the drink is any better than working one selves to death.

Make sure you have a plan for the 24 hrs a day you don't have to be on someone else's schedule. Figure out some hobbies, or start some. Best way to meet quality friends also if you become and expat.

For me, I'm never going to retire because I don't look for or enjoy normal jobs, office jobs. I think it's a problem with my whole generation, honestly, even with an good education job prospects I just can't do it long term. Maybe that's why I sympathize with the (lack of) work ethic in Thailand.

I am luckier I suppose that I've made a lot money my entire life in equities and my small businesses hobbies other wise I'd be in financial trouble.

I've read reports that people who retire early live longer, but only if they have a serious interest that occupies their mind and time: Artists (writers, painters, sculptures, musicians etc) often live to a ripe old age because their mind is continually working. If your only interest is sitting in front of a computer and playing video games, or continual posting on forums, then don't be surprised if your body and mind starts to break down.

The fact that you are posting 'contemplation' on here does not give me the confidence that you are ready to retire. The fact that you have 'stumbled' into this opportunity rather than actively pursuing retirement only adds weight to my thinking.

I do understand. I spent over 30 years working for a large corporation when a similar opportunity presented itself. I was 48 and not ready to retire but I didn't want to continue in my industry. I chose to become a 'small business' and I balanced working to generate an adequate income with spending time at my Spanish apartment.

Things changed when I discovered Thailand and decided I wanted to spend more time here. The businesses were slowly sacrificed and instead of GBP 750k behind me and a pension of GBP 40k p.a. I came here with less than half that capital (further eroded by the recession) and a pension of GBP 15k.

I had done my sums and am OK - but, as (I think) Theblether pointed out, things like exchange rates can work against you - 7 years ago GBP 100k would have bought you 7m Baht, now you would barely get 4.4m Baht.

Don't leave it too long and leave for positive reasons.Retire positively with a plan in mind. you can easily over-engineer the financials. If you really want to do something you will easily cut your cloth if the need arises - don't try and wait for the 'perfect' moment.

retirement is not waiting for God, it is the next stage of your life.

• Like 1

The vast majority of people in realistic countries like America can't actually afford to retire - ever.

Those that live in countries with governments that claim to be able to take care of them in their old age, good luck - if it all falls apart, I hope it's after you're gone.

The fact that you are posting 'contemplation' on here does not give me the confidence that you are ready to retire. The fact that you have 'stumbled' into this opportunity rather than actively pursuing retirement only adds weight to my thinking.

I do understand. I spent over 30 years working for a large corporation when a similar opportunity presented itself. I was 48 and not ready to retire but I didn't want to continue in my industry. I chose to become a 'small business' and I balanced working to generate an adequate income with spending time at my Spanish apartment.

Things changed when I discovered Thailand and decided I wanted to spend more time here. The businesses were slowly sacrificed and instead of GBP 750k behind me and a pension of GBP 40k p.a. I came here with less than half that capital (further eroded by the recession) and a pension of GBP 15k.

I had done my sums and am OK - but, as (I think) Theblether pointed out, things like exchange rates can work against you - 7 years ago GBP 100k would have bought you 7m Baht, now you would barely get 4.4m Baht.

Don't leave it too long and leave for positive reasons.Retire positively with a plan in mind. you can easily over-engineer the financials. If you really want to do something you will easily cut your cloth if the need arises - don't try and wait for the 'perfect' moment.

actively pursuing retirement - that's an interesting phrase. I have never met anyone who has ever actively pursued retirement. It either happens to them upon reaching 65 years of age, or are retrenched thus being forced into retirement due to being unable to obtain gainful employment elsewhere.

Thoughts about retirement starts to rise to the surface (before mandatory retirement age) when one feels fairly satisfied and contented in life, when one believes that one is financially secured and when one has other interests to pursue (but work gets in the way). Added to this, one can in fact consider retiring earlier than mandatory age (in their home country) when living in a country like Thailand because the cost of living is so much cheaper, albeit having to change and adapt to the way of life here.

I like very much your comment about retirement being the next stage of your life. The previous generation worked themselves to their graves, we have had the benefit of being born into a different era with different priorities and lessons learnt from generations past.

I've read reports that people who retire early live longer, but only if they have a serious interest that occupies their mind and time: Artists (writers, painters, sculptures, musicians etc) often live to a ripe old age because their mind is continually working. If your only interest is sitting in front of a computer and playing video games, or continual posting on forums, then don't be surprised if your body and mind starts to break down.

It's been a while since I've played video games and since I have less posts than you even considering the fact that I've been a TV member longer, I guess I'm saved from these two hazards :)

Just joking.

I'm almost 54 years old now. 15 years ago, I was a telecoms GBP millionaire (= vocation #1). Had a few serious ups and downs since then (understatement of the century) smile.png

Since about 2005, I've owned some small hotel businesses in Phuket (= vocation #2), but I let the 'wives' take the profit from those. I prefer to live a simpler life.

Now I work as a Vice-Principal in an international school (= vocation #3). One great advantage of this is that my young son can get free schooling. It's one reason why I went into teaching. I'm also just starting on an online PhD in Science Education.

Now how about vocation #4... any ideas?

Simon

Edited by simon43

I've thought about retiring and spending my days on TVF asking questions like ..."Where can I meet well educated professional women who don't hang around the bar scene and who live their own independent lives ?"

Ah.... Work is tough.... But then the 2000 yard stare I see on palid alcohol soaked faces of the border running malcontents that wash up here doesn't hold much attraction".

Most expats below 65 (and a few above) are only "retired" because work is not an option.

I'm almost 54 years old now. 15 years ago, I was a telecoms GBP millionaire (= vocation #1). Had a few serious ups and downs since then (understatement of the century) smile.png

Since about 2005, I've owned some small hotel businesses in Phuket (= vocation #2), but I let the 'wives' take the profit from those. I prefer to live a simpler life.

Now I work as a Vice-Principal in an international school (= vocation #3). One great advantage of this is that my young son can get free schooling. It's one reason why I went into teaching. I'm also just starting on an online PhD in Science Education.

Simon

Pimp lol lol

I've thought about retiring and spending my days on TVF asking questions like ..."Where can I meet well educated professional women who don't hang around the bar scene and who live their own independent lives ?"

Ah.... Work is tough.... But then the 2000 yard stare I see on palid alcohol soaked faces of the border running malcontents that wash up here doesn't hold much attraction".

Most expats below 65 (and a few above) are only "retired" because work is not an option.

Where do u get that crap from.Most of my mates retired frrom 50yo,leaving great jobs,businesses behind,and all are happy in Pattaya

I was put off work when I was 49 due to a recurring brain tumor.My first thing I had to do was get fit which I did.I think had a bit of luck with property just bought and sold twice at the right time.I spend half my time in LOS and in Australia.I have plenty to do.That might be only going for a walk around,but you have to occupy yourself that is the main thing.I allow my self the pension and a couple of hundred dollars on top and live very well.I only rent now but that is what I like

Simon

Marriage counsellor? coffee1.gif

Simon

thaivisa administrator team or moderator team

For me there are two issues.

Firstly, do I have enough money to do it ?

Secondly, will there be enough mental stimulation ?

It's the second issue that's the hardest one to evaluate. You spend your whole life not having enough time then suddenly you're faced with planning how you will fill your time.

Finally, my advice is, don't plan on spending all of your time with your partner. It can be the kiss of death in many relationships !

• Like 2

The 'enough money' thing is 'how long is a piece of string'. Some people could do it with 10K USD - let's just call it 'semi-retired', like the American guy I ran into who had basically bummed his way all over Asia, teaching when it suited him and doing SFA when it didnt. A serious visa-overstayer, he was confident that he would just pay the max fine and be on his way - sooner or later, I expect he would have found himself banned from entry into several countries, but there's always Cambo ;)

Some guys just land on their feet, others on their faces - I knew another expat who found himself on a plane home (with the shirt on his back and little else) when his long-suffering Thai GF finally had enough of being used as a meal ticket for a dreamer with no prospect of doing anything in Thailand. We like to rehash the stories of girls mooching off their Farang BFs, but this guy was just a leech - she gave him money she earnt from 12-hour days in a salon in the hope that he would clean himself up and try to get work managing a bar or somesuch - he went to the bar and 'managed' to spend every Satang. Must be a hell of a CV.

If you have skills that you can market, why not get into consulting? My brother in law retired in his early 50's and has been doing it for 15 yrs. He pretty much calls his own shots. Opps!(he's an underwater warfare expert)He travels a couple times a year (two week stints). His clients mostly come to him.<br /><br />At any rate, it's worth a look. When he first started my sister told me he was making $300 an hour. Probably 6x what he made before.

If you have skills that you can market, why not get into consulting? My brother in law retired in his early 50's and has been doing it for 15 yrs. He pretty much calls his own shots. Opps!(he's an underwater warfare expert)He travels a couple times a year (two week stints). His clients mostly come to him.<br /><br />At any rate, it's worth a look. When he first started my sister told me he was making $300 an hour. Probably 6x what he made before.

Interesting but doesn't this mean that he hasn't retired ?

• Like 1

when you can comfortably sustain yourself until you kick the bucket

I tripped over a pail yesterday. Does that count?

I think it all depends on people's personal expectations. Some people insist on having a big home with all that that goes with it. Big homes cost far more to maintain. I know people that are quite happy living in one room in a Thai hotel and getting by with a simple life eating inexpensive Thai food. Having a large family to take care of adds further costs.