Why Have To Reset Modem Often?

THAIPHUKET

It´s annoying, often internet goes down and the operator tells me to reset the modem , shut it down for 20 sec. What is the cause, some kind of short circuit ?

It´s annoying because the modem is wireless and the lap top is used somewhere else on the compound.

Difficult to say, but so long as you can connect to the modem (ie, it gives you an ip address but the internet is unresponsive) you can probably save yourself a walk by rebooting through the admin panel - usually at 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254. It also might give you more granular information regarding the problem, look for a button that says 'renew lease' or similar, probably on some kind of status page. If you can't find it let me know the model of the router and there's probably a guide somewhere.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

This is a standard first line response from any tech support person (worldwide)...

I have a timer that shuts my router down every night from 2 to 3am... I also have all of my perminate devices (TV, printer, thermostat.. etc) setup with static IP addresses... This seems to solve alot of issues ;-)

My router resets itself often, every day....I am not sure if it is faulty or if something on the line is triggering that.

How do you know it resets itself everyday...I'm assuming when you say reset you are basically saying a reboot. Unless something has changed and if you are on a xDSL plan, Thai xDSL ISPs reset your "IP address" every 24 hours...not sure why they do it...maybe in some way it minimizes connections not in use. Now on my True DOCSIS/cable internet plan the IP is not reset everyday...it's not a static connection...but many times my public IP address don't change for weeks.
  • Like 1

My router resets itself often, every day....I am not sure if it is faulty or if something on the line is triggering that.

How do you know it resets itself everyday...I'm assuming when you say reset you are basically saying a reboot. Unless something has changed and if you are on a xDSL plan, Thai xDSL ISPs reset your "IP address" every 24 hours...not sure why they do it...maybe in some way it minimizes connections not in use. Now on my True DOCSIS/cable internet plan the IP is not reset everyday...it's not a static connection...but many times my public IP address don't change for weeks.
From time to time internet does not work and when I look into the router it tells it is powered on since 1 min 30 seconds....that means it must have reset/reboot something like 2 min ago.

^^ Have your phone provider look into the line quality, it's probably marginal when stuff like that happens.

You can find Signal/Noise ratio uplink / downlink in your modem status page usually, will tell you how bad things are.

Someone already said overheating and my recent experience is this can cause problems with modems. My solution (after losing 3 modems) is to sit the modem on one of those USB powered laptop fan coolers. The surface temperature of the modem is now a lot cooler and no more problems.

I was a bit unsure if the USB outlet of the modem as a supply for the fan cooler would give me another problem with reflected electrical noise back into the modem DC power line. Simple answer is a AC to USB convertor. The modem and the USB convertor are both plugged into a power board with local switch, so power board on and modem and fan on.

I isolated the problem to overheating by directing a fan on the modem first to test. Cost of fan cooler and USB supply 290 Baht.

Cheers

• Like 2

From time to time internet does not work and when I look into the router it tells it is powered on since 1 min 30 seconds....that means it must have reset/reboot something like 2 min ago.

Maybe, maybe not, regarding the router resetting/rebooting. What it might instead be telling you is the "system/internet signal" has reset itself.

I have a True DOCSIS/cable internet plan and live in western Bangkok. Usually, several times a week, I will lose power for a second or so...plenty long enough to turn off/reset/reboot my electronics like my router/modem. It's in a location where I can see pretty easy and doing even the briefest power outage the router does a complete reboot and take about a minute to reacquire the internet signal. However, I just looked at my router/modem and it shows System Up time of over 17 days although I've had very brief power outages over the last 17 days. Now I'm pretty sure I know why my internet system up time is showing over 17 days even with the local power outage and that is because True installed battery backup on the cable TV/internet system in my moobaan to protect their system from brief power outages which are common. So, although my router resets/reboots as soon as it reconnects it gets a status message that the system is still up/never went down...it keep running due to it's battery backup system.

I guess what I'm saying, maybe your router is "not" reseting/rebooting....it's operating just fine, but instead you are losing your internet signal which causes the status in your router to change and of course you lose your internet for a short period. It could be a problem with your ISP/internet signal and nothing wrong with your router/modem.

Maybe, maybe not, regarding the router resetting/rebooting. What it might instead be telling you is the "system/internet signal" has reset itself.

I have a True DOCSIS/cable internet plan and live in western Bangkok. Usually, several times a week, I will lose power for a second or so...plenty long enough to turn off/reset/reboot my electronics like my router/modem. It's in a location where I can see pretty easy and doing even the briefest power outage the router does a complete reboot and take about a minute to reacquire the internet signal. However, I just looked at my router/modem and it shows System Up time of over 17 days although I've had very brief power outages over the last 17 days. Now I'm pretty sure I know why my internet system up time is showing over 17 days even with the local power outage and that is because True installed battery backup on the cable TV/internet system in my moobaan to protect their system from brief power outages which are common. So, although my router resets/reboots as soon as it reconnects it gets a status message that the system is still up/never went down...it keep running due to it's battery backup system.

I guess what I'm saying, maybe your router is "not" reseting/rebooting....it's operating just fine, but instead you are losing your internet signal which causes the status in your router to change and of course you lose your internet for a short period. It could be a problem with your ISP/internet signal and nothing wrong with your router/modem.

No, I saw it several times while booting, it really reboots. I when it just loose the internet it does not reset the clock (just pulling out the phone cable), put it in again it gets a new IP, etc but clock is not reset.

the router modem is not super sensitive to short offs which are rare here (but happen), seems enough capacitors in it.

^^ Have your phone provider look into the line quality, it's probably marginal when stuff like that happens.

You can find Signal/Noise ratio uplink / downlink in your modem status page usually, will tell you how bad things are.

Actually it has been fixed once but also lose telephone dial tone every few days and have to have an incoming call to restore it. SNR is 10.4 up and 15.9 down and attn 14.2 up and 25.3 down at connection of 607/6400 currently and holds most of the time OK if no calls. At least with the ASUS modem it reconnects quickly most times.

Does it do it during the heat of the day or just random? You might want to try cooling it down with a fan to see what happens.

The modem/routers you get from the internet providers are always the cheapest model that money can buy (and they charge around 300% the real price if you are to buy one from them).

Modems/routers can only handle so many concurrent connections, so if you for example are downloading torrents, which will make you have lots of open connections to peers all over the world, most cheap modems will at some point run out of free connections to open, and can lock up and require a reboot.

It can really pay off to get a GOOD quality modem, right now one of the best choices is the Asus DSL-N55U. Nothing but positive things to say about that one and you will NEVER have to restart it.

• 2 weeks later...

Was even told by 3BB that the modem they send out is NOT supposed to be able to be powered on 24/7. We were told to shut it off for atleast 30 minutes a day.

Before that they always made excuses about having server problems, because our DNS-server was and still is going down 6-7 times per day.

Technicians have been here several times, and the incoming line is not faulty.

The modem/routers you get from the internet providers are always the cheapest model that money can buy (and they charge around 300% the real price if you are to buy one from them).

Modems/routers can only handle so many concurrent connections, so if you for example are downloading torrents, which will make you have lots of open connections to peers all over the world, most cheap modems will at some point run out of free connections to open, and can lock up and require a reboot.

It can really pay off to get a GOOD quality modem, right now one of the best choices is the Asus DSL-N55U. Nothing but positive things to say about that one and you will NEVER have to restart it.

How do I go about setting up my own xDSL-modem, do I need any credentials for connecting to my ISP?