Phuket Gold Shop Robber Shoots And Kills Customer

webfact

Tesco security moved in after hearing a gunshot - but ran away when he fired another shot! <deleted>? They knew he had a gun and was willing to use it. What kind of "security" is unarmed? All banks have guards with shotguns at the ready and locked doors. Why not gold shops?

Just curious what country you are talking about? Sounds more like Malaysia or Philippines. Never saw a shotgun in any Thai bank and there are very few armed guards with a handgun.

Very few security people are armed in Thailand. Biggest exception being guards who are delivering and resupplying the outside ATM's such as a mall or street location. They normally carry a somewhat concealed handgun under their shirt.

• Like 1

RIP K. Pichet. You didn't do anything to deserve this fate.

Sure he did or don't you know what the word remonstrate means?

He would be alive today had he not tried to interfere with the robber.

Having said that, RIP to the victim.

this is horrible and almost surreal. no sound of a gun and the background noise just seems like business as usual. RIP good citizen

I believe the background noise you can here is coming from the people in the room that are filming the television monitor that is playing the CCTV film....you are actually looking at a video screen being re-filmed.

Tesco security moved in after hearing a gunshot - but ran away when he fired another shot! <deleted>? They knew he had a gun and was willing to use it. What kind of "security" is unarmed? All banks have guards with shotguns at the ready and locked doors. Why not gold shops?

Never seen the plonkers who just have a night stick but are covered in patches and sheriffs stars

• Like 1

Sorry, I don't think you guys are actually watching the clip.

He walks, moves, knows where to move and place equipment, and in particular SHOOTS like a police officer. That is no loose cannon. That is training according to the book, a well executed second shot to silence the opponent.

He's a cop. Watch it again.

Over and out.

Very good eye.. I think you have something there. thumbsup.gif

''The other girls in the store and I giggled at the killer. He sat on a motorcycle out the front for about 15 minutes. He looked so odd in his black helmet and white mask, sitting there.''

From a local newspaper,surely one of them must have thought something was wrong,no?

PST.

this is horrible and almost surreal. no sound of a gun and the background noise just seems like business as usual. RIP good citizen

No muzzle flash either. Must be a low calibre - possible .22.

This guy was focussed, he even had the presence of mind for a second shot. Would not be at all surprised if he has killed before.

I hope the police catch him soon, before he takes another life.

Might be time for Phuket's gold shop owners to revise their security measures, which appear nonexistent at this shop.

RIP the victim.

You've been watching too many movies NKM. smile.png

Even a .22 can have muzzle flash if it's a higher velocity round.

I thought about this lack of muzzle flash for a while after I posted. The pistol doesn't appear to have an extened barrel with a silencer, so, that can't be it.

It may be possible the CCTV is filming at low frames per second, but still quite watchable. The muzzle flash may have occurred in the fraction of a second between frames. Photography/video filming is not my field of expertise, it's just a thought.

LIK started a thread recently to do with CCTV - he may have more knowledge on the camera frame rates and the DVR recording.

There also did not appear to be any puff of smoke visable which would have been shown from a larger centrefire pistol, despite the low frame filming.

.22 semi-auto pistols are not that main stream. It may well be a centrefire pistol and the muzzle flash was simply not filmed.

.22 calibre is a subsonic round, but yes, I stand corrected, there are now some high velocity .22 rounds that could cause a small muzzle flash, of course, he could also have been using low velocity .22 rounds which would not cause muzzle flash, but would still have enough power to kill, especially at that short range.

As for watching too many movies, the OP is one movie I would rather no one ever "stars" in, anywhere, anytime.

Ok, ok, so you're a gun expert, you've made that point. Nobody's interested in muzzle flashes, puffs of smoke or your expertise, and what bloody relevance does your vast ballistic knowledge have to this report? Unless you're the investigating officer, of course.

No muzzle flash either. Must be a low calibre - possible .22.

This guy was focussed, he even had the presence of mind for a second shot. Would not be at all surprised if he has killed before.

I hope the police catch him soon, before he takes another life.

Might be time for Phuket's gold shop owners to revise their security measures, which appear nonexistent at this shop.

RIP the victim.

You've been watching too many movies NKM. smile.png

Even a .22 can have muzzle flash if it's a higher velocity round.

I thought about this lack of muzzle flash for a while after I posted. The pistol doesn't appear to have an extened barrel with a silencer, so, that can't be it.

It may be possible the CCTV is filming at low frames per second, but still quite watchable. The muzzle flash may have occurred in the fraction of a second between frames. Photography/video filming is not my field of expertise, it's just a thought.

LIK started a thread recently to do with CCTV - he may have more knowledge on the camera frame rates and the DVR recording.

There also did not appear to be any puff of smoke visable which would have been shown from a larger centrefire pistol, despite the low frame filming.

.22 semi-auto pistols are not that main stream. It may well be a centrefire pistol and the muzzle flash was simply not filmed.

.22 calibre is a subsonic round, but yes, I stand corrected, there are now some high velocity .22 rounds that could cause a small muzzle flash, of course, he could also have been using low velocity .22 rounds which would not cause muzzle flash, but would still have enough power to kill, especially at that short range.

As for watching too many movies, the OP is one movie I would rather no one ever "stars" in, anywhere, anytime.

Ok, ok, so you're a gun expert, you've made that point. Nobody's interested in muzzle flashes, puffs of smoke or your expertise, and what bloody relevance does your vast ballistic knowledge have to this report? Unless you're the investigating officer, of course.

I agree. WGAF about muzzle flashes on CCTV. The poor guy is dead, killed by a cold blooded murderer who valued gold over human life. My impression of the video was he had killed before & would have no qualms about doing it again.

@ HarryMilton

Another member comment why he couldn't hear the "bang" when the gun went off.

I commented on you couldn't see a muzzle flash either. It just went from there.

Anyway, why don't you stick to what you are an expert in, drinking in the bar all day.

@ Valentine

Yes, the poor guy is dead. It's a tragedy. There's been another shooting today. Looks like that victim will surviv, thank Buddha.

Whilst some posters may speculate on motives, comment on how dangerous Phuket has become etc etc - one poster mentioned he couldn't
hear a "bang" and I mention you couldn't see a muzzle flash either. They are factual observations.

I posted my observations - you posted your "impression." It's an internet forum. Get over it.

Anyway, what makes you think anyone "GAF" about your "impression" in the same way you don't "GAF" about my observation????

@ Valentine

Yes, the poor guy is dead. It's a tragedy. There's been another shooting today. Looks like that victim will surviv, thank Buddha.

Whilst some posters may speculate on motives, comment on how dangerous Phuket has become etc etc - one poster mentioned he couldn't

hear a "bang" and I mention you couldn't see a muzzle flash either. They are factual observations.

I posted my observations - you posted your "impression." It's an internet forum. Get over it.

Anyway, what makes you think anyone "GAF" about your "impression" in the same way you don't "GAF" about my observation????

Exactly, I don't GAF. My point was that the technicalities of muzzle flashes on a video do not make any difference. I seriously doubt the poor guy was shot by someone else behind the masked man. This tragedy & others like it raise the issue of security. Do gold shops, banks need to, or should have, properly trained, professional, armed, security personnel on hand & is it within the law to do so? Crime is certainly not decreasing.

@ Valentine

Exactly, I don't GAF. My point was that the technicalities of muzzle flashes on a video do not make any difference. I seriously doubt the poor guy was shot by someone else behind the masked man. This tragedy & others like it raise the issue of security. Do gold shops, banks need to, or should have, properly trained, professional, armed, security personnel on hand & is it within the law to do so? Crime is certainly not decreasing.

Ok. So, you post about your "impression" and I post about my "observation." Each to their own.

I agree with your "impression." He's a killer. I don't think he will go quietly. He will probably die in a shootout with police, eventually. Possibly, not even for the commission of this crime.

One poster thinks he's police, because of the same impression. I posted that due to "military service" or "national service" (compulsory military training) many Thai men are proficient in the use of firearms. He could be police, or ex-army. One thing is for sure, he's a murderer.

If you read my post again, you will see I have also commented on the lack of security.

Quote - "Might be time for Phuket's gold shop owners to revise their security measures, which appear nonexistent at this shop."

As far as your comment, "crime is certainly not decreasing" - I totally agree. Another shooting today.

It's one thing that crime is increasing, but it is the violence involved in those crimes that is a disturbing crime trend.

Edited by NamKangMan

Sorry, I don't think you guys are actually watching the clip.

He walks, moves, knows where to move and place equipment, and in particular SHOOTS like a police officer. That is no loose cannon. That is training according to the book, a well executed second shot to silence the opponent.

He's a cop. Watch it again.

Over and out.

remember that policemen were hired as hitmen on a famous island at the other side of the peninsula

• 3 weeks later...

This article is sadly very poorly written and therefore adds confusion to this already confusing situation.

"The customer, Pichet Chukieng, 32, died later in the nearby Phuket International Hospital of a single bullet wound to his chest.

The robber was caught on CCTV entering the shop wearing black clothing
with white stripes from the shoulders and down the arms of his top, a
black motorbike helmet and a surgical mask to conceal his face. He is
esytimated to be about 165cm tall.

The video shows him, carrying a bag, marching behind the counter and
waving it at the staff, all women, who flee. When Mr Apichart
approaches, he calmly shoots him and then leans over the counter to take
another shot.

It is understood that the gun misfired, but Mr Apichart was in no condition to do any more."

I thought the victim was Pchiet Chukieng, so who is Mr. Apichart? Is he the gunman?

"When Mr Apichart approaches, he calmly shoots him and then leans over the counter to take another shot."

...who is Mr Apichart? And who is "he" in the above sentence?

Honestly, this is shoddy journalism at best.

• 1 month later...