Is Villa Market A Ripoff ?

diddums

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least I have an answer and more importantly I can actually ask questions and check myself, if I wish to visit the farms ...

Very true... Have you done so yet?

No but farmers do give me their address and encourage me to do so.

At least I have an answer and more importantly I can actually ask questions and check myself, if I wish to visit the farms ...

Very true... Have you done so yet?
Cool. If you did go then how would you check?

Like in any organic farm, I guess .. at the difference may be that I would probably go with a Thai speaker to translate...

I would ask the usual questions about organic farming practices (water/pest/soils management, seed origins/suppliers, the genesis of the farm, their motivation to go organic, their hopes, projects, problems, etc etc.. .) Organic farmers are usually very chatty and keen on sharing info and educating people, they show you and explain everything in details.

They are already like this at the coop they tend to talk to you for 10 minutes for each vegetable you buy

• Like 1

Like in any organic farm, I guess .. at the difference may be that I would probably go with a Thai speaker to translate...

I would ask the usual questions about organic farming practices (water/pest/soils management, seed origins/suppliers, the genesis of the farm, their motivation to go organic, their hopes, projects, problems, etc etc.. .) Organic farmers are usually very chatty and keen on sharing info and educating people, they show you and explain everything in details.

They are already like this at the coop they tend to talk to you for 10 minutes for each vegetable you buy

Good method. I doubt very much that if it were a scam it would be elaborate enough to pass that test. Top marks.

There have been lots of reports of locally produced vegetables being sold in supermarkets that come with labels like "pesticide free" or "organic" and supposedly have some kind of government certification, but in fact, are none of the things they're labeled to be.

At least some Thai farmers are smart enough to realize that labeling their products in that way can help command higher profits and prices for them. But this being Thailand, they don't need to worry too much about anyone from the government doing anything to interfere with their deception.

It's a particularly bad scam, because it makes people like me who would otherwise be inclined to buy such products instead choose to avoid them or at least not prefer them, since it's pretty hard here to believe any such health or safety claims being made here. There is NO dependable truth in advertising or product labeling in Thailand, especially when it comes to food products.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

There have been lots of reports of locally produced vegetables being sold in supermarkets that come with labels like "pesticide free" or "organic" and supposedly have some kind of government certification, but in fact, are none of the things they're labeled to be.

At least some Thai farmers are smart enough to realize that labeling their products in that way can help command higher profits and prices for them. But this being Thailand, they don't need to worry too much about anyone from the government doing anything to interfere with their deception.

It's a particularly bad scam, because it makes people like me who would otherwise be inclined to buy such products instead choose to avoid them or at least not prefer them, since it's pretty hard here to believe any such health or safety claims being made here. There is NO dependable truth in advertising or product labeling in Thailand, especially when it comes to food products.

Yes you are right I have seen them too in supermarket these new labels which are meaningless and are just marketing such as "Free from pesticide" or "healthy" or "farm fresh". I don't trust them either, i prefer to deal direct with the producer

Edited by Kitsune

I use Fuji more than Villa, but both have some items that are very cheap such as good meats and even fish, while others are prohibitively expensive such as grapes or for especially wines. I feel like a fool overpaying 50% for standard wines.

I would like contact information for this food co-op in Thailand that sells organic produce cheaper than supermarket prices for the poisoned stuff and where you know what farm the produce comes from and make site visits if you like.

Please.

• Like 1

cant be a rip off if the price is clearly marked which it is, its not compulsory to buy from Villa. Its there to fill a niche market, many of their products are same price as the big supermarkets and some times cheaper, also in my experience more staff on hand to help locate products.

• Like 1

I grew up thinking that a rip off is not the same thing as a SCAM. A rip off often involves clearly marked, but EXCESSIVE prices which you are not forced to pay, but given the circumstances you may choose to. My understanding of rip off is a legitimate interpretation of the term.

Here is another example to illustrate the concept that something doesn't need to be an illegal type scam to be a rip off. You might say buying 200 dollar designer jeans is a rip off. The price is posted, many people are willing to pay it, but in your opinion they are being snookered to pay so much just for the brand identity.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rip+off

Slang a grossly overpriced article

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I grew up thinking that a rip off is not the same thing as a SCAM. A rip off often involves clearly marked, but EXCESSIVE prices which you are not forced to pay, but given the circumstances you may choose to. My understanding of rip off is a legitimate interpretation of the term.

Here is another example to illustrate the concept that something doesn't need to be an illegal type scam to be a rip off. You might say buying 200 dollar designer jeans is a rip off. The price is posted, many people are willing to pay it, but in your opinion they are being snookered to pay so much just for the brand identity.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rip+off

Slang a grossly overpriced article

Good post.

A scam is not getting what you paid for but it could also be a rip off because the price you paid was excessive too.

But there are so many variables - the buyer's wealth, their definitions of value, some people trust brand names, large companies running air conditioning more than chaotic outdoor markets, the price they put on convenience etc.

I personally think almost everything available at any supermarket is grossly over-priced, but I imagine most here would disagree.

So in the end a topic like this ends up being a meaningless attempt at a survey, it's all in the eye of the beholder, no objective standards.

And wrt the semantics, I prefer to reserve terms like scam thief rip-off etc for where there is outright deception involved, not just to express my opinion about something being overpriced.

All I know is this. When I go shopping at Tesco or Big C, I spend less than a thousand. When I shop at Tops/Marketplace, I spend more than a thousand. When I shop at Villa...I just go withdraw 10,000 Baht from the ATM and hope for change. Of course, a trip to the 2nd floor wine shop doesn't help any...

I don't see how it's a ripoff when you knowingly & willingly pay more for something that you clearly understand you could get cheaper elsewhere, if you just took a little initiative. If you pay their "inflated" price then you have somehow decided it's worth it, either for convenience, quality, purity of product, or whatever. I call it good business on their part, and perhaps laziness on your part if you are unhappy with your purchase.

Not exactly like the designer jeans comparison. In that case, people find value in showing off a small logo on their hip pocket. They decide it's worth it. If China can figure out how to turn $2.00 worth of fabric into a $200 pair of jeans, more power to 'em. There's always a sucker who will pay.

While on an expat package salary buying fruit and veg at villa during the weekly shop is a no brainer- it's being able to use cash to buy yourself time ( there are plenty of things many would rather be doing than driving somewhere else to buy cheaper veggies !). And, lets be honest, we would all be doing the same if we could afford to.

No I would and I actually buy my fruits&veg organic, much cheaper than villa.

Eating pesticides in a regulation-free country might save you a few bahts in the short term, but not for long.

Where do you buy your organic fruts and veg cheaper than Villa ??

Tesco Lotus / Max Value / Big C the local wet market

Don't trade with them.

I wouldn't go that far but I would suggest long term expats shop around at different markets so that they know what's available where, and what's a reasonably competitive market price, and what is NOT. There is also the factor of seasonable variations. Right now, LIMES are expensive everywhere.

Edited by Jingthing

Don't trade with them.

I wouldn't go that far but I would suggest long term expats shop around at different markets so that they know what's available where, and what's a reasonably competitive market price, and what is NOT. There is also the factor of seasonable variations. Right now, LIMES are expensive everywhere.

I wouldn't go that far either, I shop there, but I'm not the one whining about the price.

Don't trade with them.

I wouldn't go that far either, I shop there, but I'm not the one whining about the price.

I'm not whining either. Just calling a rip off a rip off when I see it, using a perfectly legitimate definition of rip off.