Is Villa Market A Ripoff ?

diddums

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some products are actually cheaper at Villa than at Big C.

Agreed. We are talking about their fresh THAI produce. It's rip off priced. There isn't any ambiguity about it. Of course if you know it is rip off priced and you buy it anyway, you have made a free will choice -- to be ripped off. I support that right!

"rip-off" suggests an element of deceit of cheating. I don't see that at Villa.

SC

To me it just means blatant and extreme over charging, not needing deceit.

Agreed. We are talking about their fresh THAI produce. It's rip off priced. There isn't any ambiguity about it. Of course if you know it is rip off priced and you buy it anyway, you have made a free will choice -- to be ripped off. I support that right!

"rip-off" suggests an element of deceit of cheating. I don't see that at Villa.

SC

To me it just means blatant and extreme over charging, not needing deceit.

Perhaps Villa can't provide those products at a competitive price due to their low turnover, lack of supplier base, but still provide them as a convenience to their customers that come for their core products - imported goods.

SC

EDIT: I could complain that the beer prices in the Black Swan are excessive; but I don't, because I only go there when I feel it's worth paying those prices - when I am meeting someone who does not know their way round Bangkok, or if there is business to be discussed in quiet surroundings. Surprising though it may seem, 30 baht a pint here or there per banana is not a great deal of money to some of us, and if it's a question of that, or doing without bananas, or making a stop at Tesco on the way home, I'll put my hand in my pocket for a few baht.

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

While on an expat package salary buying fruit and veg at villa during the weekly shop is a no brainer- it's being able to use cash to buy yourself time ( there are plenty of things many would rather be doing than driving somewhere else to buy cheaper veggies !). And, lets be honest, we would all be doing the same if we could afford to.

While on an expat package salary buying fruit and veg at villa during the weekly shop is a no brainer- it's being able to use cash to buy yourself time ( there are plenty of things many would rather be doing than driving somewhere else to buy cheaper veggies !). And, lets be honest, we would all be doing the same if we could afford to.

No I would and I actually buy my fruits&veg organic, much cheaper than villa.

Eating pesticides in a regulation-free country might save you a few bahts in the short term, but not for long.

"Rip-off" means a bad financial transaction.

Buying "more expensive" things at Villa is a choice. One is willingly buying their products with knowledge of the price beforehand. Now one may do that for whatever reason they fancy (convenience, quality, brand, etc) and be perfectly fine with the more expensive price. If one isn't fine with it, they shouldn't shop there. The fact that there are at least 10 Villa markets around Bangkok tells me that there is indeed a market being catered to. Why would they shop there if it is a "rip-off", aka engaging in "bad financial transactions"? Its business. Villa has a niche market it caters to.

Let me put it this way; Would you say Mercedes Benz dealerships in Thailand are rip-offs because they charge 2 or 3 times what a dealer in the West would? No, because there is a market here willing to pay that price. Villa is the same thing.

No...because the market charges what it does for benzs because of taxes......the same benz is not available down the street for 1/3 the price.....as are the bananas.

Eating pesticides in a regulation-free country might save you a few bahts in the short term, but not for long.

Where do you buy your f & v ?

Villa is fine but I have now moved from using Villa in Tonglore to the new Max Value in Sukhumvit 71 and I must say what was an old Justco store is now a euro version Max Value and under the 30% cheaper in some cases for comparable goods ie. potatoes, fish, meat etc .. Thanks to the wife for pointing this out to me last night when she dragged me out shopping.

Things I (being clever and sensible) buy at Villa.

Raspberries (fresh)

Blackberries (fresh)

Peaches (fresh)

Walker's Crisps

Bird's Instant Custard

Angel Delight

Suet (when they have it)

Ribena

Milky Ways and whatever UK confectionery they have in.

Cider

Roasting Joints

Bread

Things I (being clever and sensible) don't buy at Villa

Any Thai produced goods.

The things in the first list may be expensive, but a rip-off...? Not as far as I'm concerned...

If you're looking for low prices, you'd only visit a supermarket once every couple of months for thosevery few items you just can't find anywhere else.

The largest wet market in your town will have all fresh goods at very small fraction of any shop with air conditioning, and most of the so-called foodstuffs you can't find there aren't very good for you anyway.

None of which has anything to do with "rip-offs" which requires deception.

Edited by FunFon

They have some fresh Thai meat, that I could not find in an average Thai supermarket (maybe center of Bangkok yes but no where else).

Raspberries (fresh)

Blackberries (fresh)

Peaches (fresh)

Walker's Crisps

Bird's Instant Custard

Angel Delight

Suet (when they have it)

Ribena

Cider

Roasting Joints

Bread

Any Thai produced goods.

The things in the first list may be expensive, but a rip-off...? Not as far as I'm concerned...

Long hauled fruits and veg lose from 50 to 90% of their vitamins and nutriment content, so not so clever to buy overpriced delicate imported fruits.

Walker's are sold just about anywhere here, every 7/11, Family mart has them

Raspberries (fresh)

Blackberries (fresh)

Peaches (fresh)

Walker's Crisps

Bird's Instant Custard

Angel Delight

Suet (when they have it)

Ribena

Cider

Roasting Joints

Bread

Any Thai produced goods.

Long hauled fruits and veg lose from 50 to 90% of their vitamins and nutriment content, so not so clever to buy overpriced delicate imported fruits.

Walker's are sold just about anywhere here, every 7/11, Family mart has them

Never seen Walkers in either 7 Eleven or Family Mart here. Ever.

Edited by AdamBangkok

Where do you buy your organic fruts and veg cheaper than Villa ??

Where do you buy your organic fruts and veg cheaper than Villa ??

I go to a non-profit coop that does not rip off Thai organic farmers or consumers

-

Unless you know the farmer personally, since there are no effective regulations here, what makes you think you're actually getting what you pay for?

Just wash thoroughly and you'll be fine.

-

Unless you know the farmer personally, since there are no effective regulations here, what makes you think you're actually getting what you pay for?

Just wash thoroughly and you'll be fine.

I actually meet the farmers regularly as they come to the coop to sell their products weekly.

(And the stories they tell me about the practices of the non-organic farmers here are pretty scary...)

ISome products in the coop even display the same "Organic Thailand" label as found in Villa

Also the coop conducts regular checks among its suppliers and have already kicked out a farmer for not producing everything himself and buying and reselling product of unknown trace-ability.

Edited by Kitsune

Also the coop conducts regular checks among its suppliers and have already kicked out a farmer for not producing everything himself and buying and reselling product of unknown trace-ability.

So no way even that could just be a marketing scam?

If you're looking for low prices, you'd only visit a supermarket once every couple of months for thosevery few items you just can't find anywhere else.

The largest wet market in your town will have all fresh goods at very small fraction of any shop with air conditioning, and most of the so-called foodstuffs you can't find there aren't very good for you anyway.

Cheddar cheese? Grated Mozzarella? Western Style Raisin Bread?

Croissants? Hummus? Pita Bread? Peanut Butter? Natural Yogurt? Sour Cream?

And actually, there was a news item here a few weeks back on pesticides in locally available vegetables, and if I recall correct, the report recounted a survey and testing that showed a lot of the veggies available at some of the largest wet markets around BKK tested very high for various potentially dangerous pesticides.

Of course, there was also a different report some time earlier about some of those same kinds of pesticide laden produce items showing up in some of the higher priced supermarket chains around town (although the news report didn't name which ones, as best as I recall).

I wouldn't presume that getting something from a wet market anywhere in Thailand means it's likely to be better for you or safer than anything you purchase in a supermarket. Might be... Might not be.

don't think so... Actually it was only because I asked where the farmer had disappeared that they told me the whole story.

They clearly display the price they themselves buy the stuff next to the sale price. (most of times a couple of baht difference) and the farmers come themselves to stock the shelves, so they can see the prices ...

So I believe they are indeed a non-profit organization, hence money not being the motivation, scams are in my opinion automatically ruled out. ... Anything is possible but I would rather trust them than any supermarket.

One would hope it has even just a little more likelihood of being real than other places that do not check or give a hoot.

Cheddar cheese? Grated Mozzarella? Western Style Raisin Bread?

Croissants? Hummus? Pita Bread? Peanut Butter? Natural Yogurt? Sour Cream?

And actually, there was a news item here a few weeks back on pesticides in locally available vegetables, and if I recall correct, the report recounted a survey and testing that showed a lot of the veggies available at some of the largest wet markets around BKK tested very high for various potentially dangerous pesticides.

Of course, there was also a different report some time earlier about some of those same kinds of pesticide laden produce items showing up in some of the higher priced supermarket chains around town (although the news report didn't name which ones, as best as I recall).

I wouldn't presume that getting something from a wet market anywhere in Thailand means it's likely to be better for you or safer than anything you purchase in a supermarket. Might be... Might not be.

The wet markets come direct from the farms....so I would presume a lot less likely to care about what they sell as long as they sell it.

don't think so... Actually it was only because I asked where the farmer had disappeared that they told me the whole story.

They clearly display the price they themselves buy the stuff next to the sale price. (most of times a couple of baht difference) and the farmers come themselves to stock the shelves, so they can see the prices ...

So I believe they are indeed a non-profit organization, hence money not being the motivation, scams are in my opinion automatically ruled out. ... Anything is possible but I would rather trust them than any supermarket.

Where are these coop places....I live too far out to be of use, but used to know of one in a soi off of Suk 21

One would hope it has even just a little more likelihood of being real than other places that do not check or give a hoot.

One would hope indeed.

Where are these coop places....I live too far out to be of use, but used to know of one in a soi off of Suk 21

Yes you have to research them, they are initiated by little groups of individuals like farmers market in the states or Growing Communities in Britain. Thailand is still in early stages in terms of green awareness but they are a few people willing to put their energy together to eat safer food. I found mine where I live in Bangkapi, but I have heard of others.

Is that not exactly how a good scam works?

What do you mean ?

What do you mean ?

A good scam is based on trust

• Like 1

What do you mean ?
For some reason the guy left so a story is manufactured in order to show the collective in a good light. Like on the adverts where supposedly happy customers are in fact actors or at shows where people are planted in the audience.

What do you mean ?

A good scam is based on trust

Yes sure, so is your relation with your friends, family and anyone you mean, everything is based on trust.

You chose freely whom you decide to trust

I rather trust a non profit organization than a supermarket, but it's up to every each person to decide.

I have absolute no trust in supermarket, in the West they have a long history of ripping farmers, destroying farming and cheating customers.

But you decide.

What do you mean ?
For some reason the guy left so a story is manufactured in order to show the collective in a good light. Like on the adverts where supposedly happy customers are in fact actors or at shows where people are planted in the audience.

At least I have an answer and more importantly I can actually ask questions and check myself, if I wish to visit the farms ... try to get any info regarding suppliers at Villa ...

So yes I would trust a non profit organization selling organic veggies for the price of non organic ones and who has a transparency regarding its suppliers, over a supermarket who just multiply prices by 3

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 1