Gps Tracker For Commercial Vehicles

My wife has bought her first truck, a Hino 6 wheeler. I have suggested she should consider fitting a GPS tracker. Cost is 13-15,000 for the hardware, then 550 per month for the service. One of the companies I looked at include a driver behaviour report which could be useful.

I would be interested to hear from people who have installed these devices in their company vehicles.

One obvious question: should you mark your truck as fitted with a GPS tracker? I would think it is easy for a thief to find and deactivate the unit.

• Like 1

I have a company in The Netherlands that sells GPS locators, and charge a monthly fee for visualizing and storing tracking data. I am not going to sell you anything because i don't have the means to maintain such in Thailand.

I can however tell you a few things to watch out for.

Monthly costs are i think pretty high, it all depends on what kind of tracker but if i take mine as a sample it uses about 1-2 Mb of data per month with a gps location every minute. You could probably get a prepaid sim and pay as you go. I doubt it will be as high as 550 per month. But try to find out how much data it sends so you can make a calculation.

There are many models of trackers. Try to get one that has a metal case or very sturdy plastic one that has a good mounting option. double sided tape is absolutely not a good way to mount it, same for tie wraps.

Make sure you place it in the car where the antenna part of the tracker can have a free view of the sky. Most need about 5 satalites to get a position fix and for that you need a good view. Probably close to the rear or front window would be best.

You can place it in the dashboard as long as the view to the sky is not blocked by metal, plastic is no problem.

A motion sensor would be nice because then you can get an alert even when the car is parked in a garage and has no gps available.

A good way to protect your GPS is to install another tracker 'lookalike' in a place that is easier to find.

A smart thief will try to find a gps and disable it, better he finds the fake one.

A really smart thieve you can not stop, basically a plastic bag lined with aluminum foil is enough to block a gps tracker or he has a gps jammer or scanner.

A gps tracker should only have black wires coming out of it, each with a label. Once connected you remove the labels. It would then be impossible for a thief to know which wires to cut without triggering an alarm.

Make sure the tracker has an internal battery so that losing car-battery power also triggers an alarm.

This will give you a very early warning and you might be able to prevent the car from being stolen.

Another nice to have is a 'panic' button. Normally you use it as a keychain and carry it with you. If help is needed and you are near the car you can set off an alarm. If you can control the lights and horn with it even better as it will give you a short moment to react.

Another is to remotely control the fuel pump, some can do it on alarm or when an sms is send.

Edited by Khun Jean
  • Like 2

Thanks for the wonderful information Khun Jean.

I am interested in this subject as I am considering going into the vehicle rent/chauffeur drive business in a very small way.

Someone told me that it is possible to set up the GPS in such a way so that if a thief tried to disconnect it, the vehicle will become immobilised.

Have you ever hard of this, and is it feasible?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
Dear Valued Partner,

Good day!

This is cathy from china,We are a professional gps tracker manufacturer in china with top quality and much more competitive price.

By the way,this NEW 2014,We focus on opening more and more markets,So we totally promise as follows:

1, We will give our customers any supports that we can do even including the prices supports and try to help our customers to win their local markets.

2,We test our products one by one before shipping,so we have 100% quality gurantee & we have good after-sales services,we provide 24 months warranty

3,We have our powerful technical sections,which can help our customers solve problems at any time.

4,We are gps tracker manufacturer,We can design the perfect goods to meet customers'needs.

5,We have designed our own tracking platform,Once the ordered quantity reach certain requirement ,we will offer the tracking platform for free.

6,Our products performance are very steady and convenient to use.

So if possible,we sincerely hope to establish business relations with your esteemed corporation.

If interested,Welcome to inquiry me

Thanks &Best regards,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cathy

Sales Manager

Skype:gps.tracker.cathy Email:[email protected] MSN: [email protected] Web:http:http://www.zl-gps.com

• 3 weeks later...

you can also use a GSM phone with GPS , its the cheap way out !

there is software on the internet for free ,

In the USA is LoJack , the thiefs will take a car , park it somewhere and let it sit to see if the police come looking for it ,

a real pro can have a signal checker and just walk around the car and see if it is transmitting,

if it is parked in a large concrete parking structure it can block the signal,

we used the free set up to track a car we were getting shipped , it showed where the driver slept at night and then moved his truck to where he had breakfast !

• 2 weeks later...