Meatballs Return To Ikea Bangna

webfact

Meatballs return to Ikea Bangna
BY SIPPACHAI KUNNUWONG

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Post has reported that Ikea’s meatballs, which has been under scrutiny after the products reportedly contained horsemeat, will be back on the menu at Ikea, Mega Bangna within three months.

This time, the Swedish furniture chain has confirmed that the meatballs will be horsemeat-free.

According to the newspaper, Ikea stores in Denmark, Sweden and Finland have already begun serving the newly produced meatballs again.

The company withdrew Swedish meatballs from its menu in February after horsemeat was found in some samples from the Bangkok store as well as locations throughout Europe.

Since the new production volumes are dependent on sourcing quality raw materials, delivery is limited to a few markets initially, the company said.

However, Ikea now faces a new embarrassment after reporting that it found pork in the meals it sells as “elk lasagne”.

The company withdrew 17,600 servings of lasagne from sale in Europe and began performing its own tests after a Belgian laboratory said the minced elk meat contained just over one percent pork.

Ikea, which runs popular restaurants and food markets inside its giant furniture stores, expects the new meatball supply chain to be in place to allow it to sell meatballs again at most locations within three months.

“We have simplified the supply chain by limiting the number of meat suppliers and have also improved controls at the concerned supplier by adding DNA analyses both on the raw meat material and on the final product,” said Lacia Sherlock, the store manager at Ikea Bangna.

“This is an extra measure to ensure that our meatballs will contain only ingredients listed in the product specification.”

Ikea filed a police report on March 4 against a Swedish supplier that allegedly bought tainted meat from two Polish slaughterhouses, roughly a week after Czech authorities announced they had found traces of horsemeat in Ikea Swedish meatballs.

The horsemeat scandal that emerged last year in Europe has touched several high-profile restaurant and grocery chains. Burger King, Taco Bell, Tesco supermarkets and others have all found various amounts of horsemeat in beef products.

In most cases, the tainted meat shipments had originated with Eastern European suppliers.

In the case of the elk lasagne, the company traced the problem to Dafgaard, the same Swedish company that makes the meatballs that were pulled after tests showed they contained horsemeat.

“They had been grinding a mix of pork and beef in the morning and elk meat in the afternoon,” company spokeswoman Josefin Thorell said.

“We’ve reviewed these routines together with Dafgaard so this is no longer being done. They now have separate facilities for different types of production.”

Source: http://scandasia.com/meatballs-return-to-ikea-bangna/

-- ScandAsia 2013-04-10

Starting this morning the queues have already started forming. I asked a Thai lady at the end of the long snaking queue what she was queuing for she replied "balls". At first I thought that she was in the wrong area until I read this amazing piece of reporting! Have a nice day!

It's great news for me. Whenever I am stuck in Mega Bangna, I head to Ikea for some of their Swedish Meatballs. They are a fantastic snack/meal. It's about all I have to look forward to when heading out there. The last time I was there, we spent 18,000 baht. When parting with that kind of money, I like at least having a treat to go along with the insane prices we have to pay. No Swedish Meatballs made the trip even worse that it usually is. I am glad they are back!

Meatballs return to Ikea Bangna

What's next? Wood returns to Ikea furniture? sad.png

I think that they will not use sawdust to bind the meatballs anymore, bah.gif but use old bread or breadcrumbs instead like all normal meatball have in them. giggle.gif

Win w00t.gif who only eats freshly made German ones from the Jolly Frog in Kan passifier.gif

Edited by Kan Win
  • Like 1

This time, the Swedish furniture chain has confirmed that the meatballs will be horsemeat-free.

That's bad news, I was just a few meatballs short of assembling a horse. sad.png

Actually caused a honest LOL!

Cheers for that mate.

• Like 1

So ikea is a meatball resturaunt that sells cheap trashy bogan/trailer trash furniture on the side. Thais seem to love this cheap particle board style furniture and now they can buy it in a meatball business. Do they make this meatball crap out of the same thai beef mince that you can's even chew. When it comes to beef thailand certainly has the very very best boot leather.

Edited by chooka

So ikea is a meatball resturaunt that sells cheap trashy bogan/trailer trash furniture on the side. Thais seem to love this cheap particle board style furniture and now they can buy it in a meatball business. Do they make this meatball crap out of the same thai beef mince that you can's even chew. When it comes to beef thailand certainly has the very very best boot leather.

Say what u like but I have stuff that was broken down and reassembled from Europe 10 years ago that is still going strong.

Termite resistant and still straight as a die.

Say what u like but I have stuff that was broken down and reassembled from Europe 10 years ago that is still going strong.

Are we still talking about the meatballs?

Edited by chickenslegs

Are we still talking about the meatballs?

Well IKEA is what IKEA is. Dozens of retailers got caught so a few packs of meatballs in Bangkok hardly makes a story.

I have a stable full of dolmio and Tesco spaghetti sauce, and no one at home cares one jot. This whole story is a bit of payback to Scandinavia for finding 14 year old Burmese in that shrimp factories.

Please someone go and audit a foot long cheesy chicken hot dog in 7 11. It might not woof but it will barely cluck I am sure.

Edited by Thai at Heart

They've been putting horse manure or some hay like substance in their fabricated furniture for a long time. When you take IKEA furniture apart and reassemble it, the screw holes always seem to break away and shatter. It's some sort of fabricated material then coated to look like real wood furniture.

As long as people realise that horse meat improves the taste of pork and beef without any health risks. the same applies for elk meat which is simply delicious. I wish IKEA would sell pure horse meatballs and declare them as such. I would be the first in the queue to buy them

They've been putting horse manure or some hay like substance in their fabricated furniture for a long time. When you take IKEA furniture apart and reassemble it, the screw holes always seem to break away and shatter. It's some sort of fabricated material then coated to look like real wood furniture.

Really? Surely that can't be true?