Singapore High Court Upholds Criminalisation Of Homosexuality

Jingthing

Singapore has been like this for many years, officially anti-gay, but not generally doing much about it. There have been numerous gay venues for many years, with little or no harassment.

I have many gay friends in Singapore, none of whom have been discommoded by official disapproval. But for a wild time, they come to Bangkok or Pattaya.

Lived there for 8 years and is by far the most effeminate gay place I have ever seen. Men driving around in cars covered in winnie the pooh dolls, guys holding their girlfriend's handbags for them as they mince down Orchard road and just incredibly camp effeminate men everywhere.

This law would never be enforced against the general public anyway but these laws can be particularly effective political tools for governments. Just ask poor Anwar across the border in Malaysia.

Edited by Kananga
  • Like 1

Singapore has been like this for many years, officially anti-gay, but not generally doing much about it. There have been numerous gay venues for many years, with little or no harassment.

I have many gay friends in Singapore, none of whom have been discommoded by official disapproval. But for a wild time, they come to Bangkok or Pattaya.

Well, and I know Thai gays who fly to Singapore for a weekend to enjoy the discotheques there!

What constitutes having a 'wild time'? Does it mean multiple partners, orgies or drugs? Because somebody else has pointed out that despite the criminalisation, gays are leading normal lives in Singapore.

What constitutes having a 'wild time'? Does it mean multiple partners, orgies or drugs? Because somebody else has pointed out that despite the criminalisation, gays are leading normal lives in Singapore.

Of course. I'm doing the drugs and orgies all the time - apart from Tuesdays when I go to the post office to collect my pension... smile.png
  • Like 2

Well, and I know Thai gays who fly to Singapore for a weekend to enjoy the discotheques there!

Yes, I think it's just a different scene, less overtly commercial in Singapore, but more meeting place type gay venues.

As for the wild trips to Bangkok and Pattaya, since I don't join them, I wouldn't be able to say what they do!

Yes, I think it's just a different scene, less overtly commercial in Singapore, but more meeting place type gay venues.

As for the wild trips to Bangkok and Pattaya, since I don't join them, I wouldn't be able to say what they do!

There are a few hotels around my apartment here in Silom housing hundreds of camp singaporean men with big water cannons skipping round the last 3 days.