Impact Of Songkran On Int'l Transfer From New York -> Bkk

A domestic inbound transfer to Bangkok Bank's New York branch was initiated I think Tuesday, maybe Wednesday EST, the sender was told the money would arrive during the day tomorrow Friday BKK time.

What do y'all think the odds are I'm going to be SOL and have to wait until the Thai banks open again?

And is that the 17th or 18th?

Thanks in advance. . .

When it comes to funds transfers weekends and holidays in both the sending bank country and receiving bank country generally don't count against the transfer time.

And of course a lot depends on the when the sending bank "really" transmits the funds as the actual transfer could occur days after a person clicked transfer/submit or signed the transfer paperwork. A lot depends on the transfer method (e.g., ACH, SWIFT) chosen.

The next bank holiday for Thai banks is not until 15 Apr/Monday. See this Link for Thai bank holidays.

The fact that it was a late decision could be what means that my sender was given an overly optimistic ETA.

In my case I believe it's an internal transfer within Bangkok Bank between NYC and BKK, since the inbound transfer on that end is treated as domestic and there aren't any other unusual fees charged.

So I'm guessing that the two relevant questions are therefore:
- is their computer system simply pre-programmed to squirt the funds from NY into the Thai account according to an aautomated schedule, no human intervention required?

- if a human is required does it require one on the Thai side?

In which case I guess I'm SOL, it's not there now and therefore nothing happens until next week, cardholder thinks Wednesday?

Major PITA can't bring the family upcountry sad.png

The fact that it was a late decision could be what means that my sender was given an overly optimistic ETA.

In my case I believe it's an internal transfer within Bangkok Bank between NYC and BKK, since the inbound transfer on that end is treated as domestic and there aren't any other unusual fees charged.

- is their computer system simply pre-programmed to squirt the funds from NY into the Thai account according to an aautomated schedule, no human intervention required?

In which case I guess I'm SOL, it's not there now and therefore nothing happens until next week, cardholder thinks Wednesday?

Oh, and here I thought that you might want the money to pay the years worth of arrears in your rent

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/632473-enforcement-of-thai-debts-on-my-way-out/

Oh, and here I thought that you might want the money to pay the years worth of arrears in your rent

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/632473-enforcement-of-thai-debts-on-my-way-out/

-

Already addressed in that thread the relationship between these issues and how i'm priortising my steps to take care of the various elements of my situation, have got to take one step at a time don't I, the money coming in wouldn't even put a serious dent in that one particular debt.

But thanks for your concern. . .

A Money transfer is since some month from Europe to Thailand down to under 24 hours during business days.

Over the Weekend and with some Holidays in/and Europe-Thailand that can extend than to 5 even 7 days! whistling.gif

Banks will reopen on the 17th. However, even though your funds have been deposited, they still have to be converted to baht which will not be done until the bank reopens. Since the bank has been closed for effectively 5 days there will be many transfers that have to be converted and you will be put in the que. Your funds might not be converted before the bank closes, it depends where you are in the que. You can call their international transfer department, 022301323 or 022302168 on Wednesday morning (if they answer the phone), and verify that your funds are there and "urge" them to take you out of the que and do the conversion. I did it once when I knew the money was there and was in the bank but the conversion had not been done yet. If not, I would not depend on being able to access the money until sometime Thursday. Even though tey say the conversion is done automatically, the conversion process is very slow especially after long weekends or the 1st of the month if it's on a Friday.

Does anyone know the Swift Number for the NY branch of Bangkok Bank?

I asked my local branch, and they gave me their own branch Swift Number.

Terry

Each Bank in Thailand has their own SWIFT number. The individual branch does not have a SWIFT number. Funds are "wired" to the main branch and then sent on to your branch via your account number. The New York branch only has a EFTS routing number ( 026008691 ), Bangkok Banks SWIFT number is BKKBTHBK