Enforcement Of Thai Debts On My Way Out?

FunFon

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mad mary, any chance you could troll somewhere else, pls ? We 'narks' are venting our spleens, sure, but how many of us would have allowed ourselves to get in this deep over 12 freaking months ?

(I believe the terms is actually 'narcs', as in narcotics, as in DEA, but I guess you have your own interpretation)

Actually, in the US, narc or narcs, refers to someone who rats someone else out to the police or other authorities. neus.gif

Wouldn't snitch be more commonly used to describe "someone who rats someone else out to the police or other authorities?"

Can you be stopped from leaving the country if you have a private debt? Sure you can! On 2 different occasions over the past few years, when guests have 'done a runner' from my Phuket hotel and not paid their 1,300 baht room bill, I have simply contacted the nearby airport immigration department who stopped them when they tried to board their outbound, international flights. They were not allowed to leave the country until they paid the debt personally to me.... Since I was a little slow to go to the airport to pick up the money owed to me, both guests missed their flights and had to pay again. They were not happy with me, but I couldn't give a rat's tinker. They got what they deserved. Simon

Interesting, did the Immigration Department just take your word for it over the phone or did you need to present them with some sort of of evidence that this debt actually exsisited.

Whilst I'm glad that you were able to recover the the 1,300 Baht owed, and I accept that the people that owed you the money should not have tried to rip you off, it would be a bit worrying if somebody could simply call immigration and people are prevented from leaving the country. Whilst you clearly wanted your money and maybe revenge for your customers doing a runner, I am concerned that anybody who had a grudge could go down the the same route without just cause.

I'm sure it would require very specific information, passport number, details of the debt in question, etc. I would imagine making a false claim would not be taken lightly by the authorities.

But if you're so alarmed by this, what is the alternative? Just allow deadbeats to skip out on their debt and leave the country scot-free? Honestly, I don't understand how some of you guys think.

... Wesley Snipes is in the final months of a 4-year jail s

He is out and about now. 2 years served

Its off topic....but worth noting the difference between avoidance and evasion regarding tax issues. wink.png

Unfortunately these days, there's not much difference in the eyes of the tax authorities worldwide. They want their x% regardless of where you chose to hang your hat. This observation after +40 years as an international gypsy.

Can you be stopped from leaving the country if you have a private debt? Sure you can! On 2 different occasions over the past few years, when guests have 'done a runner' from my Phuket hotel and not paid their 1,300 baht room bill, I have simply contacted the nearby airport immigration department who stopped them when they tried to board their outbound, international flights. They were not allowed to leave the country until they paid the debt personally to me.... Since I was a little slow to go to the airport to pick up the money owed to me, both guests missed their flights and had to pay again. They were not happy with me, but I couldn't give a rat's tinker. They got what they deserved. Simon

Interesting, did the Immigration Department just take your word for it over the phone or did you need to present them with some sort of of evidence that this debt actually exsisited.

Whilst I'm glad that you were able to recover the the 1,300 Baht owed, and I accept that the people that owed you the money should not have tried to rip you off, it would be a bit worrying if somebody could simply call immigration and people are prevented from leaving the country. Whilst you clearly wanted your money and maybe revenge for your customers doing a runner, I am concerned that anybody who had a grudge could go down the the same route without just cause.

I'm sure it would require very specific information, passport number, details of the debt in question, etc. I would imagine making a false claim would not be taken lightly by the authorities.

But if you're so alarmed by this, what is the alternative? Just allow deadbeats to skip out on their debt and leave the country scot-free? Honestly, I don't understand how some of you guys think.

I'm sure it would require very specific information as well, I don't know what the burdon of proof was in the curcumstances described, that's why I asked the question. do you know what happened?

You "don't understand how some of you guys think"?

Well I said that I was glad the guy got his money and the punters shouldn't have tried to rip him off, does that sound so wrong?

I never suggested that deadbeats should try and rip people off but I remained concerned that somebody with a grudge could try this approach, does that sound so wrong?

There was that Scottish businessman who managed to have some friends working with the Immigration police at Glasgow airport apprehend his Thai soon-to-be ex-wife on arrival from Thailand and deported a few days later on the grounds that her visa no longer applied to the current status of their relationship.

So yes, anyone with an axe to grind and the right connections IN ANY COUNTRY can screw up your travel plans and subsequent eligibility to return quite well.

Edited by NanLaew

I'm sure it would require very specific information as well, I don't know what the burdon of proof was in the curcumstances described, that's why I asked the question. do you know what happened?

Well I said that I was glad the guy got his money and the punters shouldn't have tried to rip him off, does that sound so wrong?

I never suggested that deadbeats should try and rip people off but I remained concerned that somebody with a grudge could try this approach, does that sound so wrong?

I understand your point. Back in the states, an anonymous person can actually shut down an airport with a prank call (e.g., threat of explosives and such). Does it happen all the time? Of course not. You shouldn't be so concerned that someone with a grudge will come after you in this manner. If they wanted to, there's a lot worse things that they can do to you besides preventing you from leaving the country.

Is this guy a troll or not ? This is beside the point. His disgusting tale is being sponsored in what purports to be an expat forum offering instructive advice on how to live in Thailand. One group seems to enjoy this tripe immensely This lot have done more harm to expats in Thailand than any other group. This lot with their "wind ups" and "taking the piss" began polluting the expat population a few years after I arrived. Their gobble-swallow pronunciations (quite clearly evolved from their infamously serious dental issues are eclipsed only by their love of warm beer, offal "fry-ups"and and pies and their interminable arguments that one only need shower once a day. This same waffle-headed pack of ninnies who support this FunFon-goof's current criminal enterprise are equally guilty of wasting hours and hours "watching the foughbough" "on telly" and complaining about Thai people on this forum. Must be getting enough showers when "they take the piss" (whatever the hell * that's* supposed to mean) They appear to hail from one jurisdiction. B'roke-Ass-on-D'ole. I systematically avoid them in the same vein I chose to avoid gaggles of Israeli backpackers. They know who they are.

-

Although I completely disagree with 95% of the spirit of your post, I have to say it's a brilliant and hilarious bit of entertaining writing.

And BTW I think you seriously misrepresent the purpose of this medium, which of course is to sell advertising. Our role is to provide membership count numbers and hit/view statistices, to write content that generates the latter and presumably some small proportion of us actually give business to the sponsors at some point.

Whatever marketing/positioning/vision/mission statement the site may present as its purpose to the world is of course a very minor bit of window dressing, which only a fool would take seriously.

• Like 1

I should think providing a receipt from the hotel to the airport authorities would open the doors of the aircraft to them.

I always get a receipt from a hotel and keep it in my bag. Really simple to prove the bill has been paid.

MrWorldwide, on 14 Apr 2013 - 05:24, said:

the OP has a family so I wont advocate that option. He should have been at the airport months ago - simple as that.

-

That one statement is of course completely true, but substitute years for months, guilty as charged.

Your observation is worth the same as all coulda shoulda woulda's, as the yanks used to say "that and a nickel will get you a cup of coffee".

Giving me constructive advice here doesn't make anyone an accessory in my "crimes".

I've also come to realize how much value the system - and many people here - put on property and money as the sanctified basis for what they see as the highest plane of morality.

Fortunately this is one area where the common people are still greatly superior to the wealthy, and Thailand over the west IMO. Others believe that the whole concept of property itself is the fundamental crime of modern civilisation - I wouldn't go so far, but it certainly is at the foundation of our destruction of the ecosystem. Totally by the by and not an area I've got much constructive to say, just thought I'd throw it out there for giggles, maybe the Dean Martin guy will jump in with an entertaining riposte.

From Post #254 above:

Others believe that the whole concept of property itself is the fundamental crime of modern civilisation - I wouldn't go so far, but it certainly is at the foundation of our destruction of the ecosystem.

Such theories about property are usually advanced by those who do not have any.

• Like 2

From Post #254 above:

Others believe that the whole concept of property itself is the fundamental crime of modern civilisation - I wouldn't go so far, but it certainly is at the foundation of our destruction of the ecosystem.

Sorry, off topic

These theories are generally about land ownership, not property ownership.

If you are a foreigner in Thailand, you don't own any land.

I do own land in Thailand, and I do think land ownership is an essentially flawed idea.

I often wondered if land should be assigned to people depending on their needs, it would be a lot fairer and stop the wealthy scheming and plotting to own all the land.

But that would raise another problem, who would decide on the needs.

Limiting land ownership would be the way to go, stopping people owning 2nd homes would certainly help matters worldwide.

In America it's getting very bad with 1% of the population owning 50% of everything.

and I do think land ownership is an essentially flawed idea. Really? And how do you feel about gravity?

Gravity isn't a physical object and wasn't originally acquired by force of arms. All land ownership was.

(Or as Proudhon put it "property is theft")

(Or better De Sade "Tracing the right of property back to its source, one infallibly arrives at usurpation. However, theft is only punished because it violates the right of property; but this right is itself nothing in origin but theft.")

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

and I do think land ownership is an essentially flawed idea. Really? And how do you feel about gravity?

Gravity isn't a physical object and wasn't originally acquired by force of arms.

All land ownership was. (Or as some may put it property is theft)

True -- but your odds of changing them are just about the same.

From Post #254 above:

Sorry, off topic

These theories are generally about land ownership, not property ownership.

If you are a foreigner in Thailand, you don't own any land.

I do own land in Thailand, and I do think land ownership is an essentially flawed idea.

I often wondered if land should be assigned to people depending on their needs, it would be a lot fairer and stop the wealthy scheming and plotting to own all the land.

But that would raise another problem, who would decide on the needs.

Limiting land ownership would be the way to go, stopping people owning 2nd homes would certainly help matters worldwide.

In America it's getting very bad with 1% of the population owning 50% of everything.

-

Yes very off-topic but par for the course here

This author has some great things to say about how flawed concepts of private property are used to aid and abet much more significant crimes against humanity than mine:

Not just land of course, IP is being used to cripple the Internet's potential for safe free discussion of ideas on the global Internet, which subversive potential of course threatens all TPTB globally. . .

The same encryption and anonymity tools required by terrorists and money launderers are essential for those trying to overcome repressive regimes and unfair business practices. Which all heavy users of this medium should of course be well aware.

Gravity isn't a physical object and wasn't originally acquired by force of arms.

-

I'm sure the British elite of the early 1700's and the slaveowners of the early 1800's felt the same way about what actually transpired in the US wrt principles of democracy for colonials and the end of (that particular form of) slavery within a century of each respectively.

Never say never, humankind continues to evolve and IMO things have been greatly accelerating lately. . .

The same encryption and anonymity tools required by terrorists and money launderers are essential for those trying to overcome repressive regimes and unfair business practices. Which all heavy users of this medium should of course be well aware.

Which raises the question of "who isn't living in a repressive regime?"

I came here from America, and I can't imagine anywhere being much more repressive than there at the moment.

You can't even change countries to escape it unless you give up your US citizenship.

-

I'm sure the British elite of the early 1700's and the slaveowners of the early 1800's felt the same way about what actually transpired in the US wrt principles of democracy for colonials and the end of (that particular form of) slavery within a century of each respectively.

Never say never, humankind continues to evolve and IMO things have been greatly accelerating lately. . .

Seriously...just get on a plane and stop all this jibber jabber nonsense.

You have shown yourself to be unworthy of being in Thailand and contributing to society.

Go back to whence you came. I'm sure your family miss you.

AnotherOneAmerican, on 14 Apr 2013 - 11:56, said:

Which raises the question of "who isn't living in a repressive regime?"

I came here from America, and I can't imagine anywhere being much more repressive than there at the moment.

You can't even change countries to escape it unless you give up your US citizenship.

-

Your second statement is perhaps a bit exaggerated, but on the overall principle I wholeheartedly agree.

You don't have to physically escape, but it sure takes a lot of effort to ensure security, privacy and anonymity in online communications - far more than most people would consider taking.

But all it takes is a significant enough percentage doing so and all the three-letter agencies in the world don't have enough resources, a goal well worth fighting for IMO.

Geez according to yet another post on another thread the op has caoxed his ex wife to take out a loan using her land as collaterall,all the time telling her he will pay back the interest on the loan, i actually feel sorry for this girl may as well wave goodbye to the land now, shame she cannot see how she is being used,i take it thats the mother of his children as well i really hope karma comes and op gets what he deserves

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by taninthai

If you owed me 14 months rent you would not be running anywhere smile.png

You dumb enough to let him get 14 months in arrears I don't reckon you would be bright enough to stop him from doing a runner.

Or......you don't worry about the backlog as you know they not gonna go anywhere ?

Is this guy a troll or not ? This is beside the point. His disgusting tale is being sponsored in what purports to be an expat forum offering instructive advice on how to live in Thailand. One group seems to enjoy this tripe immensely This lot have done more harm to expats in Thailand than any other group. This lot with their "wind ups" and "taking the piss" began polluting the expat population a few years after I arrived. Their gobble-swallow pronunciations (quite clearly evolved from their infamously serious dental issues are eclipsed only by their love of warm beer, offal "fry-ups"and and pies and their interminable arguments that one only need shower once a day. This same waffle-headed pack of ninnies who support this FunFon-goof's current criminal enterprise are equally guilty of wasting hours and hours "watching the foughbough" "on telly" and complaining about Thai people on this forum. Must be getting enough showers when "they take the piss" (whatever the hell * that's* supposed to mean) They appear to hail from one jurisdiction. B'roke-Ass-on-D'ole. I systematically avoid them in the same vein I chose to avoid gaggles of Israeli backpackers. They know who they are.

-

Although I completely disagree with 95% of the spirit of your post, I have to say it's a brilliant and hilarious bit of entertaining writing.

And BTW I think you seriously misrepresent the purpose of this medium, which of course is to sell advertising. Our role is to provide membership count numbers and hit/view statistices, to write content that generates the latter and presumably some small proportion of us actually give business to the sponsors at some point.

Whatever marketing/positioning/vision/mission statement the site may present as its purpose to the world is of course a very minor bit of window dressing, which only a fool would take seriously.

I've read all 11 pages of this thread over the course of the day & clicked on two advertising/sponsor's websites. I'm now seriously considering prices of modular homes in Thailand and a holiday in the Phillipines.

HA ! the system works.

From #261 above: Never say never, humankind continues to evolve and IMO things have been greatly accelerating lately. . .

Very high-minded thoughts. Maybe if they greatly accelerate enough you won't have to skip town in the middle of the night.