Thailand, The Land Of The Working Class

eeeya

Just finished a stint working away in the oil game where i work along side the formally uneducated.

Myself included.

28 days of managing the bitching, the whining and general douchebaggery of my team.

Last night after about 6 pints, laying on my bed at the transit hotel i came to the realisation that i choose to live in a country where most of its natives act in a similar way..

And to add further, the general tourist / expat is of the same social status, blue collar working class, un educated past high school.

Is Thailand a magnet for people like us?

Is it because Thai people are our asian social equivalent?

....sent from my new fangdangled walkie talkie

• Like 1

And to add further, the general tourist / expat is of the same social
status, blue collar working class, un educated past high school.

Maybe where you hang out, but the stereotypical Pattaya bar patron is no where near the majority these days. I'd guess the vast majority of tourists to Thailand have degrees or are current university students.

Dunno about that. Looking at the plane load of beer singlet, thong wearing, tattoo fest every trip to work has me thinking otherwise.

....sent from my new fangdangled walkie talkie

I might be inclined to agree with the OP were it not for the fact that here, in Thailand, the locals, for the most part, have little in the way of a choice as to the level of education they receive.

This is not the case for most Western men who choose to live here.

Even if it was, could the boorish, loud-mothed behaviour of a large proportion of Westerners living in or visiting Thailand really be blamed on a lack of education and/or opportunities? I don't think so.

I think it more likely that, after a lifetime of being financially and socially unremarkable, these grunts finally have the means with which to enjoy both the relative financial superiority their coin gives them over the majority of the locals and the opportunities it creates with Thai women.

Going from zero to hero by virtue of taking a seat on a long haul flight can turn even a normally decent fellow into a complete and utter tool overnight.

I'm living proof!

SC

Case in point. Just spent a flight next to a guy who 2 sentences into our pleasantry conversation started talking about pattaya hookers and how not to trust them or marry them.

Looking at myself dressed in smart casual. Button up long sleeve shirt and jeans, mocassin slip ons..

How did he expect me to be a monger.

Case in point. Just spent a flight next to a guy who 2 sentences into our pleasantry conversation started talking about pattaya hookers and how not to trust them or marry them.

Looking at myself dressed in smart casual. Button up long sleeve shirt and jeans, mocassin slip ons..

How did he expect me to be a monger.

The Mocassins..dead giveaway ;)

• Like 2

Nah, it's the same worldwide and any working class. Just 6 pints and you started tinking too mutt.

Just 6 pints and you started tinking too mutt.

You sound just like my wife.

Solly dah ling.

I might be inclined to agree with the OP were it not for the fact that here, in Thailand, the locals, for the most part, have little in the way of a choice as to the level of education they receive.

Even if it was, could the boorish, loud-mothed behaviour of a large proportion of Westerners living in or visiting Thailand really be blamed on a lack of education and/or opportunities? I don't think so.

I think it more likely that, after a lifetime of being financially and socially unremarkable, these grunts finally have the means with which to enjoy both the relative financial superiority their coin gives them over the majority of the locals and the opportunities it creates with Thai women.

Going from zero to hero by virtue of taking a seat on a long haul flight can turn even a normally decent fellow into a complete and utter tool overnight.

good post

you know how many "normal" people we run into that have visited Thailand?

for outweighs mongers

and where have you seen Thai people bitch and moan about working?

my wife's siblings work their asses off in menial jobs

most of the Thais we know here in Vancouver are hard working, mostly educated people

fyi, my wife was a former-bg

has been working all her life since she was 14yrs old( not as a bg then!!)

now works 2 jobs

i will just never get these guys that choose to live in a country that they openly don't like anything about it

but as you say, they do so because it makes them feel oh so special than when they were just pee-ons in the real world

Never once did I say anything about me and pattaya.

I wish north korea would point their missile there.

Just saying that the average schmo that comes to thailand is of the same mental capacity as the average fortuna driving Thai fella. In my opinion of course.

And was wondering if there was any link

There's bogans in every country for sure. But this country and attracts more than its fair share..

Never once did I say anything about me and pattaya.

I wish north korea would point their missile there.

Just saying that the average schmo that comes to thailand is of the same mental capacity as the average fortuna driving Thai fella. In my opinion of course.

And was wondering if there was any link

There's bogans in every country for sure. But this country and attracts more than its fair share..

i think it is the perceived passive nature of asians and Thais in general

where they fawn on your or make these guys feel special

a reason why i like CM is i feel it is the one touristy area in Thailand where you can go about your day and not be the farang

and i think all this feeling of being special to guy's that were more than likely less spectacular, it goes to their heads

because you do see it more in Thailand than anywhere else

i travel to Latin America and sure, you still have your know it all ex-pats and travelers, but outside the concentrated p4p areas..........people just seem to leave you about your business

so guys going down there/living there don't seem to have that inflated ego they do in Thailand

Ok , let me get this straight, if you live in Chiang Mai you're good, if you live in Pattaya, you're bad ?

I have been to Chiang Mai, in fact since living here full time since 1990, I have been to many places in the realm, and apart from the awful traffic problems now existing in Pattaya, I can't think of anywhere else in Thailand that I would rather live, I also have a house upcountry, that's great in the cool season, but the ocean breeze blowing through my 13th floor condo on wong amat beach takes some licking.

YMMV.

Ok , let me get this straight, if you live in Chiang Mai you're good, if you live in Pattaya, you're bad ?

I have been to Chiang Mai, in fact since living here full time since 1990, I have been to many places in the realm, and apart from the awful traffic problems now existing in Pattaya, I can't think of anywhere else in Thailand that I would rather live, I also have a house upcountry, that's great in the cool season, but the ocean breeze blowing through my 13th floor condo on wong amat beach takes some licking.

YMMV.

probably not the only thing getting licked in Patters

Financial superiority maybe, but the locals here think they are superior to the bird-shit farangs !

An attitude here in the LOS will get you nowhere. You may even get shipped back to where

you came from in a body bag.

Yes, most Thais are uneducated, unsophisticated, uninteresting people that do generally seem to be decent enough and have an easy smile.

But it is certainly a very superficial and anti-intellectual culture, so I guess you are right in a way. Thais hate books as much as the average oilrig worker.

Yes, most Thais are uneducated, unsophisticated, uninteresting people that do generally seem to be decent enough and have an easy smile.

But it is certainly a very superficial and anti-intellectual culture, so I guess you are right in a way. Thais hate books as much as the average oilrig worker.

I assume that the Thais that you're referring to are your wife and her immediate family/circle of friends. Not very representative of all Thais. At least admit that you only socialize with the lower echelons of Thai society to draw your conclusions.

• Like 2