Retirement Based On Monthly

a)- ,does showing a letter to the immigration office from my bank in the UK and approved by the embassy in Bangkok showing monthly income of equalent to 65,000 THB credited to my account in the UK ok , plus resident address here and passport to request for a change of tourist visa into retirement extention,,, non o i beleive for 1 year? i am over 50

B)- or savings account must be opened first here in thailand and then after transfering and keeping 65,000 in it for 2 months perior to apply for retirment extention ? if so means waiting for 2 months at least to apply?

If you apply by income of 65k or more per month the embassy letter is what is required and that can be used for both obtaining a 90 day non immigrant entry and the actual extenson of stay (but you may have to wait 60 days and if you do a new letter will be required). If you want to use deposit of 800k in local bank account proof of local account balance will be enough to obtain the non immigrant entry and then 60 days later money will have been seasoned and extension can be granted. In that case passbook and bank letters will be required at both times.

There is no requirement to have 65k in a local bank account.

• Like 1

"..does showing a letter to the immigration office from my bank in the UK and approved by the embassy in Bangkok showing monthly income of equalent to 65,000 THB credited to my account in the UK ok.."

AFAIK, the Embassy won't issue you with a POI letter based solely on a statement/letter provided by your UK bank. Instead they will require income evidence in the form of statement(s) from your pension payer(s) (the plural applying if you are in receipt of the UK State Pension as well as an occupational one). And, if you own property in the UK which you rent out and also wish to include in the income reckoning, you will need to provide a copy of the current tenancy agreement plus the latest 3 or 4 monthly income statements from your UK agents as well.

At least that's what I've done successfully when seeking POI letters from the Embassy for my 3 annual retirement extensions to date!

The above reply is quite simply not correct.

The British Embassy in Bangkok require three months bank statement showing income being paid in, nothing else.

That's not correct either.

I've done extensions based on retirement and obtained the necessary letter from the British Embassy and have never shown a bank statement.

I've done extensions based on retirement and obtained the necessary letter from the British Embassy and have never shown a bank statement.

surely you must have shown something to obtain the necessary letter provider right? what in detail please

a 90 day non immigrant entry and the actual extenson of stay (but you may have to wait 60 days and if you do a new letter will be required).

please tell me what has the 90 day non imm entry to do with actual 1 year extension? and why do i need a new letter after 2 months waiting? cant i use the one i got 2 months ago?

1. You claim to have a tourist visa and want to change to retirement extension of stay - first step is a non immigrant visa entry.

2. Original Embassy statement or Bank letter will be taken for step one if done inside Thailand.

3. To obtain actual extension; if not done at the same time, will require new financial documents.

The above reply is quite simply not correct.

The British Embassy in Bangkok require three months bank statement showing income being paid in, nothing else.

surely you must have shown something to obtain the necessary letter provider right? what in detail please

The list of requirements I downloaded from the Embassy’s old website last May prior to requesting my latest POI letter was as follows:-

* Photocopy of your current British passport

* Original evidence of your current pension/income

* Your local address to be typed on the letter

Not a dickey-bird mention of any bank statement! So God knows where icequeen got his (or her?) info from!!

Unfortunately the Embassy info on POI letters seems to have vanished into thin air on their new website at https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-bangkok! Anyone know where it may have gone?

Edited by OJAS

I have obtained several annual extentions (retirement)by way of monthly income. I have monthly income in the UK via rental income. My solicitor hold the original leases and writes a letter confirming my income. I present this letter to the British Embassy and they in turn give me the letter for the Thai Immigration. I always have copies of the leases, just in case, but neither the Embassy or the Imigration have ever asked to see them. My income is in Sterling and in the UK and this have never been questioned and I have never been asked to show any bank statements. On the day I go to the Immigration I print off the latest Bangkok Bank list of Rates of Exchange, highlight the GBP to Thai Baht and then on a separate piece of paper type out the calculation showing my equilivent income in Thai Baht. Goes as smooth as clockwork, Occasional an Immigration Offer confirms the amount via his calculator but it has never been questioned. I hope I am not tempting fate for my next renewal!

• Like 1

So, maybe I worded it badly. OJAS stated that UK bank statements would not be sufficient to obtain a proof of income letter from the British Embassy. I was stating that I have obtained such a letter with only three months UK bank statements as proof of income.

Interesting point on bank statements, I have pensions paid direct into my Bangkok Bank account and have done for many years , however, immigration still insist on a letter from my embassy, just did it this week and had to pay 2140 baht for the letter.

Why will they not accept their own countries bank statements!

Interesting point on bank statements, I have pensions paid direct into my Bangkok Bank account and have done for many years , however, immigration still insist on a letter from my embassy, just did it this week and had to pay 2140 baht for the letter.

Why will they not accept their own countries bank statements!

A bank statement is not proof of income. Only that you receive an amount of money, which is not the same.

I have obtained several annual extentions (retirement)by way of monthly income.

65,000 or 52,000 THB per month ? cause both gives you one year extension i ve read

I just use my actual monthly income which is well in excess of THB 65,000. I have no idea or never heard of a monthly requirement of THB 52,000. Sorry I cannot help.

I don't know where you read that but the requirement is 65k or 800k per year so if income was 52k you would also need 176k in a bank account here.

so , another words lopburi,, you saying if i open a savings account this time in a thai bank and deposit 176K and leave. the next trip back to thailand, bring my bank statement from UK showing earnings equalant to 52K per month, go to the embassy get that statement approved+ a letter from them ,then head to the immigration to apply for a 90 days Non o visa as the first step?? am i correct?or is anything missing here?

Being over the age of 50 is required. There will be a 2,000 baht fee and you should really obtain that before you travel as it provides reason for one way travel to airline but if you can not do that obtain a tourist visa for entry and then visit immigration with 15 or more days remaining on stay to convert to non immigrant 90 day entry for retirement extension of stay.

@OJAS

Unfortunately the Embassy info on POI letters seems to have vanished into thin air on their new website at https://www.gov.uk/g...embassy-bangkok! Anyone know where it may have gone?

Subscribe here for updates:

https://public.govde.../subscriber/new

Thanks for this link. I'm just a bit concerned, however, that, were I to subscribe to this service, my in-box would then be flooded with emails alerting me to each and every little amendment to the GOV.UK website, 99.99% of which will probably be of absolutely no interest to me whatsoever. Am I missing something, however? E.g. after entering your email address are you then presented with, say, keyword options to enable you to be more selective in the email alerts you receive? Having to enter your email address first sounds to me too much like a hostage to fortune!

Edited by OJAS

It appears there is no longer a separate website for the embassy here anymore or there is a problem.

URL ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/ redirects to another site for all worldwide locations.

Edited by ubonjoe

It seems like there are different rules enforced throughout Thailand. In my area not only did I have to show a letter from the American Embassy but a bank statement not only showing deposits but also that I was spending money (i.e. paying bills, making withdrawals).

I'm confused as to why anybody would bother to try and prove their income/pension and then get a POI letter from your embassy. Thai immigration accept a Statutory Declaration issued by an Embassy. A Statutory Declaration is different to a POI letter. Simply go to the Embassy, ask to make a Statutory Declaration, state that your income exceeds the requirements of the Thailand Immigration for the purposes of a Retirement Visa.....and Bob's your Aunty!

Because you are making a Stat. Dec., you don't need to prove what you are declaring. No need to transfer money, no need for bank statements, passbooks, pension documentation etc. Here's a TV thread that clarifies it. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/534786-retirement-visa-thb65000month-income-option/

If you apply by income of 65k or more per month the embassy letter is what is required and that can be used for both obtaining a 90 day non immigrant entry and the actual extenson of stay (but you may have to wait 60 days and if you do a new letter will be required). If you want to use deposit of 800k in local bank account proof of local account balance will be enough to obtain the non immigrant entry and then 60 days later money will have been seasoned and extension can be granted. In that case passbook and bank letters will be required at both times.

I have never had an Embassy letter for the past 22 years while being on a retirement extension - just the Thai bank letter listing the monthly transfer's from abroad into my Thai bank.

It appears there is no longer a separate website for the embassy here anymore or there is a problem.

URL ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/ redirects to another site for all worldwide locations.

This seems to be the new policy, the British embassy website for Libya has gone also, took me ages to find the link to update my 'locate' info.

I have never had an Embassy letter for the past 22 years while being on a retirement extension - just the Thai bank letter listing the monthly transfer's from abroad into my Thai bank.

I suspect you are also grandfathered after 22 years - the current requirement for income is an Embassy letter of that income. The Embassy sets the standard of what they provide for such a letter - some use statutory decorations and some require show of paperwork and base letter on that.

"..does showing a letter to the immigration office from my bank in the UK and approved by the embassy in Bangkok showing monthly income of equalent to 65,000 THB credited to my account in the UK ok.."

AFAIK, the Embassy won't issue you with a POI letter based solely on a statement/letter provided by your UK bank. Instead they will require income evidence in the form of statement(s) from your pension payer(s) (the plural applying if you are in receipt of the UK State Pension as well as an occupational one). And, if you own property in the UK which you rent out and also wish to include in the income reckoning, you will need to provide a copy of the current tenancy agreement plus the latest 3 or 4 monthly income statements from your UK agents as well.

At least that's what I've done successfully when seeking POI letters from the Embassy for my 3 annual retirement extensions to date!

It is a sworn statement, the Embassy does not require any proof, merely you act of swearing that the income amount is true.

I suspect you are also grandfathered after 22 years - the current requirement for income is an Embassy letter of that income. The Embassy sets the standard of what they provide for such a letter - some use statutory decorations and some require show of paperwork and base letter on that.

I hope you are right and immigration don't suddenly want an embassy letter from me ... I once enquired about such a letter and having a nationality from one country and an income from another, neither local embassies wanted to know and refused me such a letter ...

It is a sworn statement, the Embassy does not require any proof, merely you act of swearing that the income amount is true.

The British Embassy require proof of income.