Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Sinsod 1 Million Baht

ArranP

For the poster that asked about his bank manager fiance I found something very interesting http://www.thaifriendly.com/photo.php?u=Nina599&id=1097073 shows a bonafide bank employee complete with uniform and ID card. Profile snippet self explanatory

Age: 26 Gender: Female Looking for: Man Looking for age: 35 to 46 Country: Thailand City: Bangkok Last active: 1 week ago Height: 163cm Weight: 47kg Education: Bachelors degree Income: Husband give ME! Occupation: Take care HUSBAND

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Out of the hundreds of dumb ass farangs that have responded to this issue, all I can say is that you need to see a head doctor. The attitude is that we have to screw you out of everything we can today because there is no tomorrow and second chance. You fools swap a lot of money for getting to heaven for a few seconds. Did it ever occur to you that it is better to rent than pretend that you have bought. CRAZY!

Nice to get input from the sole non dumb ass fool farang. Anyway I cannt disagree with your feelings about the MO.

I think exactly like Donald Battles, so include me in the 'non dumb ass fool farang' club thanks.

I'm not sure if I saw it on this thread or elsewhere, but a poster said (something like) None of my buddies back home has ever bought his girlfriend a house. None of mine have either.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Surely the oiffer of 20 baht was a joke which got passed on or taken literally, i suspect.

Personally I have never paid a penny, explianed that I was against it and we discussed it, eventually 40k baht was used, 1 baht gold given to wife which she kept, money returned immediately after the ceremony. Family save face, everyone happy.

i did exactly the same , showed 100k at the ceremony got it all back the same evening , a well educated virgin bride and they would expect 500k+ though , so find a sexy slappper that loves you and put the dosh in the bank ! LOL , Seriously though i have married twice in LOS and both times just paid for the wedding party,{@40k} and neither girl ever worked in a bar , the bride DOES have a say in the matter too you know ,and if they really love you i dont think there will be a problem , i have 2 friends that married isaan girls and both gave 100k sinsod , .....not me , i feel "farang'' have principles too and that they are just as important, if not, just better ,.... you could be paying for her the rest of your life after all !

A nice wedding in the west runs $20,000. I gave sin sot of 200k baht and think of it as money well spent for her poor Issan family. The sin sot amount was a brief negotiation. I've continued to support them recently upgrading their bathroom to western standards. I haven't been asked for anything and never would be.

The OP sounds proud of himself. Has his money and no girl with the rest of the misogynistic dirt bags piling on with him. All in all a pretty sad post.

and your an anti-sexist trying to drag the stone age beliefs and customs out of thailand right ? emily pankhurst would be ashamed of you ! smile.png

I wanted to be lighthearted about this, but it's hard to find any humor in the face of such a detestable onslaught of misogyny. So far on this thread, a woman/women has/have been depicted thusly:

20 bht is the right price [for her]

compared to a farm animal

well-used

Old car

damaged goods

2nd hand goods

Fresh product

new supply coming in daily

well-driven

spoiled goods

And, shockingly, such posts have received multiple "likes." To the posters who say such things: do you kiss your mothers and wives and daughters with that mouth? This way of thinking devalues your own kith and kin, not to mention yourselves.

T

a spade is a spade ! describe it as you like ,....its still a spade !

What has the family ever done for you except arrange to get you to the ATM machine. Sin Sot is an invented Thai tradition used for bleeding money out of us poor fools.

errrrrr,......NO, been used all over asia for centuries , just a different name

I wanted to be lighthearted about this, but it's hard to find any humor in the face of such a detestable onslaught of misogyny. So far on this thread, a woman/women has/have been depicted thusly:

well-used

Old car

damaged goods

2nd hand goods

Fresh product

well-driven

spoiled goods

And, shockingly, such posts have received multiple "likes." To the posters who say such things: do you kiss your mothers and wives and daughters with that mouth? This way of thinking devalues your own kith and kin, not to mention yourselves.

T

Directness is commendable, as in calling a spade, a spade. However that isn't the case here at all. To think so would be boorish.

Apart from the fact that some posters have denigrated women in general, one specific woman is being denigrated for the *gasp* "crime" of having been married before and now "having the temerity" to demand a second dowry. She is free to ask, and the man is free to refuse. But anyone depicting this woman as "well-driven" or "spoiled goods" is uncouth in the extreme, and THAT, is calling a spade, a spade.

T

Edited by Thakkar

well-used

Old car

damaged goods

2nd hand goods

Fresh product

well-driven

spoiled goods

T

Directness is commendable, as in calling a spade, a spade. However that isn't the case here at all. To think so would be boorish.

Apart from the fact that some posters have denigrated women in general, one specific woman is being denigrated for the *gasp* "crime" of having been married before and now "having the temerity" to demand a second dowry. She is free to ask, and the man is free to refuse. But anyone depicting this woman as "well-driven" or "spoiled goods" is uncouth in the extreme, and THAT, is calling a spade, a spade.

T

A woman of good up bringing, and one who is honest, wouldn't even think about or need a second sinsot..

*obviously the pasty faced attention seeking wannabes are excluded)

well-used

Old car

damaged goods

2nd hand goods

Fresh product

well-driven

spoiled goods

T

T

A woman of good up bringing, and one who is honest, wouldn't even think about or need a second sinsot..

*obviously the pasty faced attention seeking wannabes are excluded)

Then call her dishonest (though that wouldn't be accurate because she's not denying the first marriage). Call her greedy, to be accurate. Call her uncouth if you think she displays traits of a bad upbringing. But to call her "well-used"? That is simply a misogynistic attack on all women by proxy.
And why with such spittle and disdain are terms such as "well-used" and "well-driven" thrown about to describe a human being? Why is it that a woman who has multiple partners is denigrated as "a slut" while a man doing the same thing is saluted as "a stud"? Why the double standard, especially in this day and age? The thing is either great or not, no matter which gender does it.
T

Surely the oiffer of 20 baht was a joke which got passed on or taken literally, i suspect.

Personally I have never paid a penny, explianed that I was against it and we discussed it, eventually 40k baht was used, 1 baht gold given to wife which she kept, money returned immediately after the ceremony. Family save face, everyone happy.

i did exactly the same , showed 100k at the ceremony got it all back the same evening , a well educated virgin bride and they would expect 500k+ though , so find a sexy slappper that loves you and put the dosh in the bank ! LOL , Seriously though i have married twice in LOS and both times just paid for the wedding party,{@40k} and neither girl ever worked in a bar , the bride DOES have a say in the matter too you know ,and if they really love you i dont think there will be a problem , i have 2 friends that married isaan girls and both gave 100k sinsod , .....not me , i feel "farang'' have principles too and that they are just as important, if not, just better ,.... you could be paying for her the rest of your life after all !

osiboy you amaze me. In one post you're going hard at those misogynists who 'denigrate' women, and then next you're referring to a 'sexy slapper'!!?? People in glass houses comes to mind.

Your assertion that foreigners also have principles seems to be irrelevant when a Thai family sets its eyes on a bucket of $$. A foreign man could assert that his custom is that the woman's family pays him a dowry (as in India). Where does the money grabbing family of the 'sexy slapper' go next?

As for a higher price for a young educated virgin, who determines the validity of her virginity, and isn't that concept misogynistic in the extreme? The fastest growing elective surgery in Australia is the repair of the hymen for marriage, driven my the muslim population. It seems young muslim women want to have their c**k and eat it too? As an aside, if women have a hymen, why don't men have a hywomen?? OK, it's a bad joke!!

I find the entire concept of sin sot, in the 21st century, where Thailand no longer considers itself a 'third world' country (and yes, I do understand the meaning of 'third world', and how it is mistakenly applied to 'developing' countries) to be distasteful at best, and downright deceitful, greedy, and opportunistic money grubbing at worst.

I ask why any foreign man would put a property in his wife's name in a foreign country when he can rent?? The potential loss through renting is infinitely less than 'pretending' you've bought a house, and as an investor, I constantly assess potential losses against potential gains.

Edited by F4UCorsair

The family wants and needs money. Their kid is an investment, and it needs to pay off. so, if you have money, give it to them. if you don't like it, try getting a wife not based on money and based on looks, education, good heart, etc.....odds are, you tried and failed, so paying for a wife is easier.

if I was super poor, my family super poor, and I saw many other people living better after getting married (OK, not living better, but having more).....well, why not make sure the guy you meet has money. this is the only metric.

forget culture....this is very simple. do you have money? no?......next!!!!

• Like 2

Ok, if it is merely prostitution, it is unwise to pay in advance,

you pay after service, not before.

You also dont pay for expected lifetime, you pay per short time

next...

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 2

The family wants and needs money. Their kid is an investment, and it needs to pay off. so, if you have money, give it to them. if you don't like it, try getting a wife not based on money and based on looks, education, good heart, etc.....odds are, you tried and failed, so paying for a wife is easier.

if I was super poor, my family super poor, and I saw many other people living better after getting married (OK, not living better, but having more).....well, why not make sure the guy you meet has money. this is the only metric.

Fair enough to give the parents money if the daughter has been caring for them financially and the farang takes her away to live and stops the supply train.

But if the married couple still support, care and pay all of the parent's bills, food, medical etc, why should he have to pay cash up front? Mum just dishes the money out to the rest of the family to splash out on!

So you marry a hooker.....by another name.

I'm with you poanoi.

Edited by F4UCorsair
  • Like 1

You should try fishing in a different pool the next time.

The Thais can sort this out in 10 questions that usually embarrass farangs or the farang doesnt know to ask the questions.

I dont see middle income earners from Bkk rushing upcountry to marry some uneducated farmers daughter earning 10k baht per month working in the Mama noodles factory, so why do farangs do it?

And for the poster who was questioning language such as second hand goods etc, spend some time in Thailand, learn the language and you will soon hear how the Thais refer to each other.

never get married to a thai woman( like me ) no sinsod, no big party for whole village, no monthly donation to entire family of wifey, no monthly allowance to wifey, no house in wifeys name, no rabba farm in isaan, no new house for outlaws, no buffalos, no tractor, no new barn, no headache, no nightmare awakening, no ugly divorce, no lost money, but all the fun you want, and when it doesn't pleases you or your,than gf,any more? NEXT, with the money you saved you can live pretty good on the beach and not in the sticks! and nobody can lecture you: " I told you so, from the beginning " after all shit hits the fan and you lost a lot of YOUR SAVINGS

• Like 1

Agree with everything said but there are still greedy unrealistic Gold-digging parents out there in deepest Isaan ( or should we rename it insane?)

Hope you're not referring to me smile.png

I'll be asking for A LOT more than 1 million for my daughters, because of their stunning beauty and good education at private schools.

would you marry them to a farang, who is twice her age ? I guess not for all the money in the world !

Agree with everything said but there are still greedy unrealistic Gold-digging parents out there in deepest Isaan ( or should we rename it insane?)

I'll be asking for A LOT more than 1 million for my daughters, because of their stunning beauty and good education at private schools.

would you marry them to a farang, who is twice her age ? I guess not for all the money in the world !
I would think his daughters would do whatever the hell they wanted, regardless of what a father says. Of course a child will want parents blessings etc but in the end, they will do what they want.

Yeh, we all agree. coffee1.gif

post-41816-0-90958600-1367243421_thumb.j

Oooooooops sorry, thought you said you would give them money. w00t.gif

• Like 2

Neeranam said, I'll be asking for A LOT more than 1 million for my daughters, because of their stunning beauty and good education at private schools.

And of course you'll hand it back to the groom right after the ceremony? If not, you're selling your daughter, and that's no better than the Thai families who sell daughters into prostitution in order that the family can survive, so keep that in mind. She'll thank you for it in the future when you tell her kids that you sold their mother for more than a million baht, no doubt.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I would think his daughters would do whatever the hell they wanted, regardless of what a father says. Of course a child will want parents blessings etc but in the end, they will do what they want.

wrong, daddy knows what is best, farang 5 mill and marriage, thai boy 10 mill and no marriage plus a lot of gold just to look

To the OP: I don't have an opinion about paying sin sod or not, it is a cultural difference that you have to deal with together as you have to respect their culture but they should also respect your own culture.

But offering 20 baht was a bit tactless, even if it was only to the GF.

tactless or no, it may very well have been the best thing that has ever happened to him.

look at it any way you wish, but the woman in question breached a trust by repeating something in jest to her mother. If is is happening at this stage, it can only get worse after the ceremony.

At least he has had a chance to clearly see where the lines are drawn.

Hi, didligut, my son is 4 and 1/2 blond, blue eyes, financial secure, stud muffin, we should arrange something if your daughters are well ed, and beautiful as you say, we can arrange a wedding in a couple years, your sin US$ 100 K plus house, car and tractor ( a must ) to my son, also my sun, my sin, loose my princethumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Sin Sod is to be negotiated on, instead you apparently felt the need to insult her mother with an offer of 20 baht. No wonder your relation broke up.

You could have explained that in your culture sin sod is not done and you are not comfortable with it and start from there.

Completely agree.

If you did indeed offer Baht 20 as Sin Sot then it was a deliberate insult and no-one would tolerate that.

Sin Sot is an age-old Thai custom - you may not agree with it but the solution is to explain your cultural objections to the practice - politely and with respect to all parties involved.

Patrick

NONSENSE, the insult was 1 million and 10 baht gold