Sinsod 1 Million Baht

ArranP

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you met your divorced Thai gal online then be prepared to pay the cash. She is looking for financial relief from credit. Double that loss if you are planning to marry a gal recently divorced from a farang. Her first husband probably cut his losses and ran like hell after she took out the third mortgage on the property and car (your signature not required.) !!! Cute gals have Thai boyfriends (who are probably married to decent gals) who support them. Ugly ones need help. If you are going to marry a bar girl....you already paid a sinsod of barfines, as many others have for her...so don't worry about the insults. Her friends are probably all hookers and lady boys who have been plying their trade in Phuket and Pattaya for years. No honorable Thai man would offer them 20 baht to bring them home to mama. Thai men who want to marry gals of status pay hefty honor to the girls families. Dumb farangs pay hefty sinsod to bargals thinking the other girls in the family are too honorable to ever work in Phuket/Pattaya. Reality is, a divorced woman needs your money, but her sinsod has already been paid. Don't pay again, instead support her first husband's children. That is truely an act of charity and honor...and you will gain great face. The mom is ignoring you because she lost her chance for a windfall from an innocent farang. She probably wants her girl to run on down to the bar and get a dumber one. Sorry for the honesty. Insist on a Western wedding outside of Thailand, and pay the sinsod through generous contributions (which you will be doing anyways).

Sorry for the honesty? Best laugh i have had all day laugh.png

Do you ever leave the bar?

(my highlight in your post)

Edited by BookMan

Entertaining as it is to read posts from all the "experts" here, with sin sods in the range from zero to 7M baht. And all for show and saving face according to the very same experts.

No sin sod is (like it or not) part of the culture here.

My wifes 2 sisters got married within the last 5 years (5 & 1 year ago). We are talking about a ricefarming family in the sticks. Poor on money, but plenty of land. In both cases MIL asked 300k sinsod, which was accepted by the hopeful young mens families. Who both went abroad to work, to get to money together. (Taiwan and S. Korea). Both sisters never married before, no kids and sure virgins on their weddingnight. Still might seem a lot of money for a farmers daugther, But I got the explanation from MIL: As both the daugthers have land of their own, the new family don't have to borrow money to buy farmland, so the sinsod is considered a "payment" for the land. A fusion of two families, benefitting both.

MIL don't want to keep the money, but the husbands have to prove to her, that they are good hardworking men with no mia nois and no drinkingproblems. The family of the sister who got married 5 years ago, have got all their money back by now!thumbsup.gif

As my wife had a child, when she met me, the sinsod-question was never raised. So not all Thai MIL's are moneygrapping witches. whistling.gif

• Like 2

If you met your divorced Thai gal online then be prepared to pay the cash. She is looking for financial relief from credit. Double that loss if you are planning to marry a gal recently divorced from a farang. Her first husband probably cut his losses and ran like hell after she took out the third mortgage on the property and car (your signature not required.) !!! Cute gals have Thai boyfriends (who are probably married to decent gals) who support them. Ugly ones need help. If you are going to marry a bar girl....you already paid a sinsod of barfines, as many others have for her...so don't worry about the insults. Her friends are probably all hookers and lady boys who have been plying their trade in Phuket and Pattaya for years. No honorable Thai man would offer them 20 baht to bring them home to mama. Thai men who want to marry gals of status pay hefty honor to the girls families. Dumb farangs pay hefty sinsod to bargals thinking the other girls in the family are too honorable to ever work in Phuket/Pattaya. Reality is, a divorced woman needs your money, but her sinsod has already been paid. Don't pay again, instead support her first husband's children. That is truely an act of charity and honor...and you will gain great face. The mom is ignoring you because she lost her chance for a windfall from an innocent farang. She probably wants her girl to run on down to the bar and get a dumber one. Sorry for the honesty. Insist on a Western wedding outside of Thailand, and pay the sinsod through generous contributions (which you will be doing anyways).

Sorry for the honesty? Best laugh i have had all day laugh.png

Do you ever leave the bar?

(my highlight in your post)

Knew that was coming...lol. Sir I cannot live farther away from your bars. My wife and I live in Udon, thank you for your innuendos. Fact is, many farangs are lured into these traps set up for them and need practical help. Not all people are looking out for themselves. Your remarks sounds as if your learned something yourself.

• Like 1

@473geo,

Bet you paid sinsod and now defend it at all cost not to look foolish.

How about this one when a mixed couple meets both need to adapt that means its not always Thai way but could also be western way of no sin sod.

In mixed relations both need to sacrifice a bit.

Most foreigners i know did not pay sin sod and also a few of the Thais I know never paid sin sod. I know stories of a Thai friend of the wive who loaned money for sin sod only to see his wife transform and no way to get the money back. Even among Thais sin sod is not always done, so in mixed relations it will be done even less. That is if both parties give up a bit of their ways, not just the foreigner.

Then you got the scams where girls that have been married of have children will try to get sin sod again.. a Thai male would never stand for it.

*edit* I have nothing against the show of money if it is returned the face thing is ok

Oh I paid sinsod Robblok...using my well honed negotiating skills.......if I told you how much, you would look stupid regarding your comment, and I would look rather smug......so lets just leave it at that...I have witnessed two family weddings of late, my Thai brother in law married a young employed 20 year old paid 80k baht sinsod......my new Thai brother in law, good guy he is too, paid 100k baht to marry my sister in law ( a very beautiful young lady in good employment)..........so if some of the guys here cannot handle the financial competition from thai guys earning 10k baht a month......well they can feast on the leftovers....smile.png......carry on guys

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 2

Bride price? No problemo senors. But most of these "girls" as everybody calls them are women with babies. Just because the dumb Farang is 45 and his "girlfriend" is 22 doesn't make her the prom queen. Easy: innocent virgin, pay; non-virgin with brats, no sin sod.

Read my lips: Non-virgin / no baht. Brat(s), double negative.

• Like 2

@473geo,

How about this one when a mixed couple meets both need to adapt that means its not always Thai way but could also be western way of no sin sod.

Most foreigners i know did not pay sin sod and also a few of the Thais I know never paid sin sod. I know stories of a Thai friend of the wive who loaned money for sin sod only to see his wife transform and no way to get the money back. Even among Thais sin sod is not always done, so in mixed relations it will be done even less. That is if both parties give up a bit of their ways, not just the foreigner.

Then you got the scams where girls that have been married of have children will try to get sin sod again.. a Thai male would never stand for it.

*edit* I have nothing against the show of money if it is returned the face thing is ok

Oh I paid sinsod Robblok...using my well honed negotiating skills.......if I told you how much, you would look stupid regarding your comment, and I would look rather smug......so lets just leave it at that...I have witnessed two family weddings of late, my Thai brother in law married a young employed 20 year old paid 80k baht sinsod......my new Thai brother in law, good guy he is too, paid 100k baht to marry my sister in law ( a very beautiful young lady in good employment)..........so if some of the guys here cannot handle the financial competition from thai guys earning 10k baht a month......well they can feast on the leftovers....smile.png......carry on guys

Never mind then you defended it so much like you were one of the believers. I can compete with the best of them I just don't believe int he practice and I do not blindly give up everything about my own culture (such as it is). I believe that if a girl takes a foreign husband she will have to accept some of his ways to and he of hers. Then its a matter of finding mutual ground.

Everyone is jumping on this one like flies on fresh meat LOL. Thai Sin Sot is close to Sin Bon, the word for bribe

My first inclination was to say Hasta La Vista Baby

One million baht sure if your GF is graduating medical/ law school and then her family returns it to the newlyweds to help their future. Or there is an enlarged bank check that is only symbolic in nature. Or you agree to use it to payback her tuition loans.

I could see how the mother could have not understood sarcastic humor. Hardly any Thai's I know that have not spent time abroad studying or living actually understand witty / sarcastic humor.

I would have have use 99 like 99 baht, or 199 baht, at least they are familiar with promotion prices like that, you can see them every day at Bic C.

PS: female high level professionals in their 30's with or without kids,

would be likely be too ashamed to ask for sin sod. How do I know, I have

discussed issues like this with non romantic friends (medical doctor,

and lawyer)  I have no desire to get married AGAIN.</p>

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

@473geo,

Never mind then you defended it so much like you were one of the believers. I can compete with the best of them I just don't believe int he practice and I do not blindly give up everything about my own culture (such as it is). I believe that if a girl takes a foreign husband she will have to accept some of his ways to and he of hers. Then its a matter of finding mutual ground.

You think that a family who have the expectation of sinsod for 20+ years regarding a daughter should suddenly adapt their expectation as she is choosing to marry a foreigner, and a foreigner who is asked for a little small change should make a point of trying to devalue his intended.....I really wonder how you guys come to this understanding..

• Like 1

@473geo,

You think that a family who have the expectation of sinsod for 20+ years regarding a daughter should suddenly adapt their expectation as she is choosing to marry a foreigner, and a foreigner who is asked for a little small change should make a point of trying to devalue his intended.....I really wonder how you guys come to this understanding..

Its called principle mate and a spine.

To add you could change it too how can you sell it to your family back home.

So both parties have to adapt.

Maybe you learn when you live here full time.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 2

This thread is hilarious.
My GF and I were discussing the topic a few weeks ago. BTW, no plans for marriage at this point. Anyway she said if we were to get married then I would need to pay a sinsod to her parents. I said I was aware of the custom. She said it would be 30,000 B. She's a sweetie, never married, no children, very nice looking and not a BG. I almost proposed on the spot.

• Like 1

Principle......right.....so the western notion of "love forever" is not part of this equation.....it is not the money....."principle" is the stumbling block for the man who will not pay a little back pocket money to marry his true love......how sad.....for ever wandering....... married to a "principle".......but at least you have "spine"

Edited by 473geo

My GF and I were discussing the topic a few weeks ago. BTW, no plans for marriage at this point. Anyway she said if we were to get married then I would need to pay a sinsod to her parents. I said I was aware of the custom. She said it would be 30,000 B. She's a sweetie, never married, no children, very nice looking and not a BG. I almost proposed on the spot.

Oh god you've done it now 30,000 baht...you'll have some gagging on their chang....what are you doing man......refuse....kick her out....where are your "principles" smile.png have you no "spine"? biggrin.png

• Like 1

Principle......right.....so the western notion of "love forever" is not part of this equation.....it is not the money....."principle" is the stumbling block for the man who will not pay a little back pocket money to marry his true love......how sad.....for ever wandering....... married to a "principle".......but at least you have "spine"

You can't just expect someone to give up his or her culture totally, it just does not happen. So when 2 people of different cultures meet and fall in love / want a relation both will have to adapt. This concept of sin sod goes against how people in the west are raised where often that the family of the bride has to pay. Here its the opposite.. So in the middle would mean no sin sod.

If you were to take your wife back home would you expect her to turn instantly into a western girl.. id say no. Same she wants you because you are you and that is a foreigner she cant expect you to be Thai why pretend to be one. If she wanted sin sod then her best chance would be a Thai.

• Like 2

Oh god you've done it now 30,000 baht...you'll have some gagging on their chang....what are you doing man......refuse....kick her out....where are your "principles" smile.png have you no "spine"? biggrin.png

Sorry if you mean me... I don't drink can't afford it.

You can't just expect someone to give up his or her culture totally, it just does not happen. So when 2 people of different cultures meet and fall in love / want a relation both will have to adapt. This concept of sin sod goes against how people in the west are raised where often that the family of the bride has to pay. Here its the opposite.. So in the middle would mean no sin sod.

If you were to take your wife back home would you expect her to turn instantly into a western girl.. id say no. Same she wants you because you are you and that is a foreigner she cant expect you to be Thai why pretend to be one. If she wanted sin sod then her best chance would be a Thai.

But Thai ladies do adapt, they are just a little more practical, why not look at sinsod as redressing the balance for the western ideology of buying an engagenent ring (which is unlikely to be returned in the west if there is no marriage) your principle is looking more and more like a stance to justlfy selfish self centered actions under the guise of "western culture"......I think some guys are frightened they may loose out financially......fear of failure...not "principle" appears to be the underlying cause of refusal to pay sinsod.

I Remeber well a Sinsod meeting with Mumma ( Not current mumma ..ha ha ) a few years back ..Upto a a rooftop restaurant ..Ohh can brother come ? can brothers G/f come ? ..500 Barht a head , plus drinks ..Who do you reckon got the Bill ?

I had quite a bit more experience than they thought , so they thought I'd be a Very easy touch . I mentioned .." Delightful View " ..Mumma , never smiled but was straight out for the Barht ..How much would I pay ? ..As brother had just married his girl I asked how much he paid ??..It went on for Ages , I just kept saying " Need to think about it " . Kept telling me , how important , how great and Young her daughter was ..great Child Bearing ..etc etc ..Wonderful family ..b/s b/s b/s ..

Although the relationship didn't last , The Sex was great , and we toured around for a while , Bungee Jump , had a great time ..However , I was pretty sure she had some other stuff going on ( and I was Correct ) ..We started at 700,000 and I worked it down to 300,000 ..I was never going to pay , I just wanted the Negotiation practise..Its all emotional Blackmail of course .

It didn't take long , she snagged a Dude who was going to pay a lot more and I never heard from her Again ...Ohhhhh , How quickly true love Dies ?? ha ha ha ha .....But it was kind of fun , still look at those photos and Chuckle .

• Like 2

You have a winner there headgame. thumbsup.gif

Of course, as we have been told, it is a negotiation, so you should swing it for 15k

• Like 1

You're right. Running for the hills now from those gold digging parents.

But Thai ladies do adapt, they are just a little more practical, why not look at sinsod as redressing the balance for the western ideology of buying an engagenent ring (which is unlikely to be returned in the west if there is no marriage) your principle is looking more and more like a stance to justlfy selfish self centered actions under the guise of "western culture"......I think some guys are frightened they may loose out financially......fear of failure...not "principle" appears to be the underlying cause of refusal to pay sinsod.

Sure geo sure, your right whatever you say. Come live here full time (if you can afford too) and see how real people live here.

You mean i have to change how i look at and still do it .. sounds a lot like dressing something up what it is not. That is the whole thing about principle it sees through that. I have no problem spending money on the wife and house (in her name) just don't like my money going to the family. Thing is Geo me and the wife are a couple I don't mind paying for us but I do have a problem giving it to others.

Taking the wife on a trip to the Netherlands, paying the biggest share of the cost .. not a problem. Paying her mother off for her.. no way.

• Like 1

Sure geo sure, your right whatever you say. Come live here full time (if you can afford too) and see how real people live here.

You mean i have to change how i look at and still do it .. sounds a lot like dressing something up what it is not. That is the whole thing about principle it sees through that. I have no problem spending money on the wife and house (in her name) just don't like my money going to the family. Thing is Geo me and the wife are a couple I don't mind paying for us but I do have a problem giving it to others.

Taking the wife on a trip to the Netherlands, paying the biggest share of the cost .. not a problem. Paying her mother off for her.. no way.

Difference of people Robbok, in a couple of weeks I am taking the famiy to the beach, including the mother in law, you see I appreciate her input and support, her family values and the way she held a young family of four together when her husband died young. To me my mother in law is very special, she did a brilliant job of raising my wife, the children adore her, she is patient and kind. I understand that your "culture" would probably forbid you to enjoy such a beneficial relationship with your mother in law. But it allows me to work away earn good money because of the unstinting family support my wife receives. Good all round Robblok......you try to find fault where there is none in my life...smile.png.......a little back pocket money for sinsod.....worth every baht...for me....pity you will never know......enjoy your "principles"

In Thai tradition Sinsod is arranged between the girls parents and the new husbands parents

In your case you can use an elderly Thai friend to talk on you behalf

In fact I know three issan elders who do this proffessionally like a lawyer, this is cheaper than facing the insult of so and so's husband paid this figure, so any thing less is an insult to my mother

Sinsod is different for ever girl

It depends on her looks, her age, how much her parents have invested in her eductation, and the income you are about to take away from the family

A virgin girl will double the sinsod, but thankfully farlang do not meet many of these

A previous marriage or children will be a minus for the sinsod

If a previous sinsod has already been paid then who do you pay, or repay the sinsod to (ask your girlfriend)

But most important once you have made an agreement

to go back on a promise is the worst thing you can ever do

So you broke the golden rule

Try agreeing to a price to a stall owner at the markets, and then when she accepts change your mind

My friend, unless you change your ways your time in Thailand will be short

There is no better communication system as good as the Thai girl grape Vine

Edited by tezzainoz

Sin Sod is to be negotiated on, instead you apparently felt the need to insult her mother with an offer of 20 baht. No wonder your relation broke up.

You could have explained that in your culture sin sod is not done and you are not comfortable with it and start from there.

Best Recommendation is always start with your fiance's credentials. A) is she a Virgin if not . B) Has she had a baby before. C) What is her father's social status. D) What are her academic creditials, E) What is her finacial status, F) is she prepared to execute a pre-nup?

Please keep in mind the purpose of sin sod in Thai culture and make sure that the mother is going to keep the sin son on deposit in a joint account with her daughter. The account should require their two signatures for any withdrawel.

Sin Sod Guide: Girl of the Green unmarried and without child 40-60,000 Baht. Divorcee 10,000 Baht. With child Zero Baht. Well educated virgin 100-300,000 Baht. High-So Girl 200-500,000 Baht , Elite girl 1 - 3 million Baht. All based on actual payments in the past ten years.

No one is ever obliged (made) to pay Sin Sot unless the bride to be is under age.

• Like 1

Difference of people Robbok, in a couple of weeks I am taking the famiy to the beach, including the mother in law, you see I appreciate her input and support, her family values and the way she held a young family of four together when her husband died young. To me my mother in law is very special, she did a brilliant job of raising my wife, the children adore her, she is patient and kind. I understand that your "culture" would probably forbid you to enjoy such a beneficial relationship with your mother in law. But it allows me to work away earn good money because of the unstinting family support my wife receives. Good all round Robblok......you try to find fault where there is none in my life...smile.png.......a little back pocket money for sinsod.....worth every baht...for me....pity you will never know......enjoy your "principles"
I wonder how principled some will be if they get a divorce and insist on giving them half of everything they have, on principle of their own culture of course.
  • Like 1

I don't try to find fault in your life you try to find fault in others lives saying they don't have money when the cant afford sin sod ect ect. I just made it clear you can't afford to stay here full time. You can't compare yourself with people who do live here full time. Different realities you know.

Whatever makes you happy i feel sin sod in not appropriate in mixed relations. Just wonder how an indian vs thai wedding would be.

I wonder how principled some will be if they get a divorce and insist on giving them half of everything they have, on principle of their own culture of course.

I got a wife that makes her own money.. so even back home i would come off good.

I think the OP already has his answer; a 34 year old Thai lady who is an ex of a 76 year old farang who has already kickstarted her entire business for her and her family want even more dowry than the last idiot paid. Run and don't you dare look back.

Yes, Thai men pay a dowry, but do you think that any of them would pay a million for a 34 year old who's been well driven by who knows how many expats? I've been to a couple of "divorce meetings" where the family's agree on the parting terms and both times the husbands got their sinsot back (and both of them were complete cheating a-holes too), did her expat bf get her 800k sinsot back? If not then why are you being asked to pay her sinsot again? To put it in real terms you are being asked to pay 20 years worth of salary of twice a year good rice crops for an uneducated, old, well used lady. Harsh but true I'm afraid.

I don't know anything about the OP but I am sure he can do better.

• Like 1