I Give Up......

theblether

So there's me at the Muay Thai training, thinking I'm doing well learning Thai as I go along.

Sai, kwa!! sai, kwa!! sai sai sai!! ( left right left right left left left )

Sog kwa ( right elbow ) sog sai ( work it out for yourself, no one is that thick )

Anyway emboldened by my new language skills I asked a lady why whenever I say aroy mak mak ( delicious ) ladies often reply to me aroy ma. So she explained it's like very very much, and very much.

So she then taught me how to say I like to eat very much ( which is true ) so she said Schop geen mak mak. Okay......I can do.

Anyway further emboldened by my new language skills I was in my local restaurant last night, talking to the owner and a waitress with perfect English and I said......

Schop geen ma

The girl look horrified and said......you like to eat dog??

I said NOOOOOO!!!! I like to eat very much......

She said......you like to eat dog very much?? ( looking incredulous and horrified in equal measure )

Nooooo!!!!

But you say Schop geen ma......that means you like to eat dog......

No it doesn't......it means I like to eat very much ermm.gif

I am Thai......I speak Thai fluent, I know what you say.....you like to eat dog.

Okay, fork it......I like to eat dog, dog aroy mak mak.

Nearly passing out with shock.....she said, where you get dog in Chiang Mai?

I said Vietnam man in Soi 2, 40 baht old dog, 100 baht for puppy......mee ow kao.

You eat puppy dog?

Yes, I like puppy tail very much.

Now truly disgusted she said.......get out of restaurant, or I will phone the police.

<deleted>?......I'm finished with this language, it's just too dangerous coffee1.gif

Edited by theblether
  • Like 2

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So there's me at the Muay Thai training, thinking I'm doing well learning Thai as I go along.

Sai, kwa!! sai, kwa!! sai sai sai!! ( left right left right left left left )

Sog kwa ( right elbow ) sog sai ( work it out for yourself, no one is that thick )

Anyway emboldened by my new language skills I asked a lady why whenever I say aroy mak mak ( delicious ) ladies often reply to me aroy ma. So she explained it's like very very much, and very much.

So she then taught me how to say I like to eat very much ( which is true ) so she said Schop geen mak mak. Okay......I can do.

Anyway further emboldened by my new language skills I was in my local restaurant last night, talking to the owner and a waitress with perfect English and I said......

Schop geen ma

The girl look horrified and said......you like to eat dog??

I said NOOOOOO!!!! I like to eat very much......

She said......you like to eat dog very much?? ( looking incredulous and horrified in equal measure )

Nooooo!!!!

But you say Schop geen ma......that means you like to eat dog......

No it doesn't......it means I like to eat very much

I am Thai......I speak Thai fluent, I know what you say.....you like to eat dog.

Okay, fork it......I like to eat dog, dog aroy mak mak.

Nearly passing out with shock.....she said, where you get dog in Chiang Mai?

I said Vietnam man in Soi 2, 40 baht old dog, 100 baht for puppy......mee ow kao.

You eat puppy dog?

Yes, I like puppy tail very much.

Now truly disgusted she said.......get out of restaurant, or I will phone the police.

<deleted>?......I'm finished with this language, it's just too dangerous

The tones are essential. Like in French, unless you pronounce them perfectly nobody understands you. Frustrating but it can be done. I find over enunciating the tone does the trick but it helps if you tone down your own accent if you have one.

• Like 1

Falang Thai ( no tones)

Keey ma = ride horse

keey ma = ride dog

Keey ma = Horse s**t

keey ma = Dog s**t

keey ma = very much s**t

Keey ma probably means come ride as well.

Chob gin keey ma mai ?

While on the subject 'bai kub keey' ( driving licience) does that mean 'drive ride sheet' or ' go drive s**t' I'm sure it's the second.

• Like 2

theblether, on 12 Apr 2013 - 20:36, said:

I'm Scottish......I think I'm doomed sad.png

Hang in the pal - it is harder for us Scots but possible.

Try saying it like Chaawp Gin Maaak

The same as saying Mac but when you say the final 'c' make sure there is no air coming oot yer moo. Kind o swallae it.

Practice with things like "new wood doesn't burn, does it?" - mai mai mai mai mai, to practice the different tones.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

I still get the piss taken for me thinking 'fon dtoc boi boi' meant to take a shower, 5 years after saying it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

smile.png fon dtok bproi bproi does mean to shower upon, or drizzly rain. Edited by Neeranam

I still get the piss taken for me thinking 'fon dtoc boi boi' meant to take a shower, 5 years after saying it.

smile.png fon dtok bproi bproi does mean to shower upon, or drizzly rain.

Unless, like me, you were trying to say Ab nam at the time

Note to self......never ever use that phrase. ermm.gif

Note to self......never ever use that phrase. ermm.gif

Yep and don't offer to buy gold at the same time.

• Like 1

If you get the tones wrong, you can ask the wife to 'Iron my tiger". cheesy.gif

'what do you want for your birthday?'

'a machine-washable tiger please'

Edited by Songhua
  • Like 1

i gave up the nuances of Thai intonations a long time ago when a friend and I were discussing things spicy. I cannot remember the details from so long ago but the way I kept saying the phrase it related to wanting sex.

I could imagine being in the restaurant with one of those Ladyboys waiting table and asking for spicy sex.

Seems there are many pitfalls out there for us who cannot hear or speak Thai very well.

The Blether with his broad Scots accent must be as bad as me with my North East accent when trying to speak Thai.

Great tale though, Blether. Gave me a good laugh :)

• Like 1

If you get the tones wrong, you can ask the wife to 'Iron my tiger". cheesy.gif

I would love to have seen the look on overherebc's face if the shop assistant had handed him a tiger laugh.png

If the tiger had the young lady's telephone number on a label hanging around it's neck then I'm sure you can picture the look that would have been on my face,biggrin.png