Pedestrians

MilesCh

How many of you have noticed that the majority of Thai pedestrians walk on the side of the road with the traffic, not against it? I've asked several in Chiang Mai why they do that and am told that's what they were taught. In my opinion if parents have no knowledge, then the schools should teach the young ones. How to remain alive in the army of motorbikes, the drunk weaving down the road, and the hue trucks coming at them and get out of the way. How many pedestrians are killed or maimed each year?

There are many folk in the U.K. that do not know to walk against the flow of traffic. A lot of those that do understand this precept are those who use roads and lanes in the country where there are no footpaths.

Two minor points....

In Thailand, you cannot always walk against the flow of traffic because of the amount of vehicles that use the wrong side of the road anyway. Best to stand there and not move. :P

How often do you see Thai people actually walking? Their legs are there to sit astride a m/c.

Yes, it would be good to teach people the rights and wrongs of walking, driving and riding, but as we heard today about the Norwegian who did the correct thing and was killed by someone who came through a red light, so doing the correct thing does not always save your / their life.

• Like 1

It's because they dont like to know what's coming.

The first thing that many Thais do when they buy a motorbike is take off the rear view mirrors, just look I asked my BIL why they do it and all that he does is shrug his shoulders. Both of his are sans mirrors. They are thrown in a box in the "junk pile". They really don't want to know what's coming, and usually don't look when entering a roadway!

It's a constant problem in a road in my village. The road is unlit and it's very difficult to see pedestrians, the majority of whom ambling on the left side of the road. Dogs, whom I am convinced teach road sense to village people, are just as bad. during the day, I often see very young children unsupervised in the same road.

Lives are cheap here, and those of people that can't afford a vehicle are basically seen as worthless.

Funfon! ....please....coffee1.gif

-

Please what?

Can you imagine a Thailand where pedestrians actually have right of way? Where zebra crossing actually means cars should stop when someone steps out? They put stoplights on the one near my house last year and it's been completely ignored even when the light is red while me and the kids are in the middle of the crossing, especially by the government bus drivers.

The push-switch to activate the stop light broke after two months, and the neighbors and I tried to find out who to call to get it fixed and no one we contacted gave a stuff.

I stand by my words, the people driving cars are considered much more important than those walking, just as in all other areas richer people are more valued than the poor. Whoops one exception that proves the rule - the Labour Court.

• Like 1

Lives are cheap here, and those of people that can't afford a vehicle are basically seen as worthless.

Funfon! ....please....coffee1.gif

-

Please what?

Can you imagine a Thailand where pedestrians actually have right of way? Where zebra crossing actually means cars should stop when someone steps out? They put stoplights on the one near my house last year and it's been completely ignored even when the light is red while me and the kids are in the middle of the crossing, especially by the government bus drivers.

The push-switch to activate the stop light broke after two months, and the neighbors and I tried to find out who to call to get it fixed and no one we contacted gave a stuff.

I stand by my words, the people driving cars are considered much more important than those walking, just as in all other areas richer people are more valued than the poor. Whoops one exception that proves the rule - the Labour Court.

I think you have misunderstood the expression "the exception that proves the rule"; this saying means that an apparently universal rule is more or less universally excepted. e.g. the rule "All odd numbers are prime. Although 3, 5, 7 are prime, 9 is an exception, and as we get higher, we find other exceptions - 15, 21, 25, 27 and in fact, most odd numbers are not prime."

SC

• Like 2

I think you have misunderstood the expression "the exception that proves the rule"; this saying means that an apparently universal rule is more or less universally excepted. e.g. the rule "All odd numbers are prime. Although 3, 5, 7 are prime, 9 is an exception, and as we get higher, we find other exceptions - 15, 21, 25, 27 and in fact, most odd numbers are not prime."

-

Well Fowler lists a half-dozen meanings of the phrase, and my usual use is as "jocular nonsense".

Dancealot, on 13 Apr 2013 - 19:57, said:

Of all the philosophers and psychyiatrists you chose to mention Carl Jung of whom i wrote a 120 page thesis on?

-

I don't know if you're a true believer or a skeptic, but I personally would think it worthwhile spending some time trying to figure out the significance of this (IMO nearly always meaningful) coincidence.

Feel free to PM if you agree - side benefit, it will slow down my pandemic of public posting.

Funfon! ....please....

I have to agree with FunFon's assessment.

Please, don't encourage him.
  • Like 1

I stand with my opinion.

It is not a synchronicity why they do this, this is too far fetched.

The Thai people's values and opinions whom i respect and learn from a lot probably have a good explantion for the OP's question.

My lighthearted, but serious and real reaction to the OP was post # 2.

I think there is nothing more to it. Simple.

Does it really matter WHICH side of the road you walk? Thai drivers and riders don't pay any attention to what side of the road they drive on. And, side"walks" are not sidewalks anyway. They are just extensions of the shop or home behind the sidewalk.

pedestrians walk on the side of the road with the traffic, not against it

Wouldn't this make sense, as most mopeds go against the traffic? sad.png

True enough; bikes going in the direction of traffic can pull out a little further from the verge if need be to go round you; not so easy for the bikes going the other way

SC

The first thing that many Thais do when they buy a motorbike is take off the rear view mirrors, just look I asked my BIL why they do it and all that he does is shrug his shoulders. Both of his are sans mirrors. They are thrown in a box in the "junk pile". They really don't want to know what's coming, and usually don't look when entering a roadway!

On my wifes motorbike, the nearside mirror is always pointing at her face.

• 1 month later...

Apart from all the negative rhetoric about Thai people. can anyone give me the rules about zebra crossing?

I ride my cycle in Chiang Mai and when I want to cross the road, I dismount and walk across the zebra crossing. Usually I have two choices 1. Wait for ever because no one will ever stop 2. start pushing my way across. This morning speeding cars missed my front wheel by a couple of inches on two different crossings.

Also, what are my rights of a cyclist? This morning I was over taken by a mini van who then turned into me almost knocking me off my bike. It was slow and close enough for me to bang on the door with my fist. The driver paid no attention and didn't even bother to look.

So:

1. What are zebra crossing for, how do they work and what are the rights of a pedestrian / unmounted cyclist?

2. What are a cyclists rights? i.e. if a cyclist is dismounted, injured or killed, what happens to the motorist? They don't even attempt to slow down so don't seem afraid at all and don't mind intentionally killing people it seems. Is it just another 100B fine?

Edited by jeffinchiangmai1

• 3 weeks later...

Apart from all the negative rhetoric about Thai people. can anyone give me the rules about zebra crossing?

1. What are zebra crossing for, how do they work and what are the rights of a pedestrian / unmounted cyclist?

2. What are a cyclists rights? i.e. if a cyclist is dismounted, injured or killed, what happens to the motorist? They don't even attempt to slow down so don't seem afraid at all and don't mind intentionally killing people it seems. Is it just another 100B fine?

-

Not being negative, and noting that the theoretical laws are irrelevant, stating the facts as I observe them:

The bigger, faster, more expensive and powerful vehicles have right of way.

Smaller, weaker, slower vehicles, pedestrians obviously at the bottom of the pecking order, have to dodge and scurry their way across at risk of their own lives.

Zebra crossings are intended to cut down on the latter inconveniencing the former by concentrating them in certain spots, and also to provide large areas where police needing pocket money can fine foreigners for jaywalking.

They do not provide any protection, drivers do not stop or even slow down just because people are on the stripes, just like anywhere else you have to dodge and dash for your life.

This is true in many places even where there is a pedestrian crossing LIGHT installed.

If a vehicle strikes a pedestrian or cyclist they will likely speed off without stopping and there is little one can do.

In the .00001 percent of the time the guilty party is apprehended and sentenced, it will be a very small fine, the more rich and powerful they are the less likely there will be any serious penalty.

This is the reality here, pretend otherwise all you like, go out and try to change things if you like.

-

Not being negative, and noting that the theoretical laws are irrelevant, stating the facts as I observe them:

The bigger, faster, more expensive and powerful vehicles have right of way.

Smaller, weaker, slower vehicles, pedestrians obviously at the bottom of the pecking order, have to dodge and scurry their way across at risk of their own lives.

Zebra crossings are intended to cut down on the latter inconveniencing the former by concentrating them in certain spots, and also to provide large areas where police needing pocket money can fine foreigners for jaywalking.

They do not provide any protection, drivers do not stop or even slow down just because people are on the stripes, just like anywhere else you have to dodge and dash for your life.

This is true in many places even where there is a pedestrian crossing LIGHT installed.

If a vehicle strikes a pedestrian or cyclist they will likely speed off without stopping and there is little one can do.

In the .00001 percent of the time the guilty party is apprehended and sentenced, it will be a very small fine, the more rich and powerful they are the less likely there will be any serious penalty.

This is the reality here, pretend otherwise all you like, go out and try to change things if you like.

indeed it is true