Led's On Bikes. Are They Legal? Bib Stops For Having Them?

i saw a bike the other day that was possibly a PCX with flashing led's at the front and up the cowling past the headlight. Led's along the side and around to the brake light at the rear. Many different colours, more like a Christmas tree than anything else TBH.

Are these led modifications legal and will the BiB pull you over for some tea money for having them?

What modifications are legal and what are liable to get you a tug off the BiB for tea money?

I saw a wicked pair of wing mirrors recently. The outside chrome was a skull shape with red eyes. I could not see the BiB pulling you over for those, but .... :)

I can't say I have ever seen a BIB pulling anyone or anything over after dark here.

Which is when the LED's would be going smile.png

That aside you should see some of the tuk-tuks here at night.

Like a Chevy Chase Christmas Vacation movie

• Like 1

Unless they are different color than supposed to be, they should be illegal and I hope those drivers/riders will get pulled over and fined!

Was driving behind a pickup with blue and green turn and break lights a while back, you couldn't tell what the hell he was doing when those lights came on, after years of driving your brain is programmed to react when the red light comes on, so when it's anything either than red, brain gets confused, it is a serious safety issue if you ask me, and as I said, I do hope those drivers will get fined!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have a red light on the front fender which flashes 5 times then stays on.

LEDs that change from purple to green to blue to red to orange to white each side of the rear reflector.

A Honda logo on the rear fender that glows red when the brakes are on....as well as the regular brake light.

And I've been stopped at road blocks a dozen times and not one cop has said a thing!

I have a red light on the front fender which flashes 5 times then stays on.

LEDs that change from purple to green to blue to red to orange to white each side of the rear reflector.

A Honda logo on the rear fender that glows red when the brakes are on....as well as the regular brake light.

And I've been stopped at road blocks a dozen times and not one cop has said a thing!

OOOOOOOOOOOOoHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I can't wait to see that. NOT!!!

Interesting.

I too have seen different vehicles with an array of lights at the rear and some can be confusing and potentially dangerous.

This particular bike looked like a set of disco lights on wheels. I was half expecting some thumping rock music blaring out too. rolleyes.gif

The brake lights on this were normal, but the flashing, multicoloured led's on the front would have done my head in.

I've seen a few bikes with strips of leds down the side in, say, a blue colour, some red ones on Fino's and similar bikes (scooters).

So the general consensus is that they are not something the BiB seem to take seriously, if the BiB were out after dark. Obviously being in Thailand, things are done differently.

Thanks for the replies.

Unless your a Thai teenager I couldn't really see areason to have these on your bike ,I think they look cheap and tacky especially when all over the bodywork,a couple maybe underneath the bike to give a bit of a glow is no to bad but anywhere else a no no imo

Somebody may have told them that LED lights do not use as much electrical current so to save fuel from generating extra current whilst driving at night without the headlight on they can use LEDS. Simple really !!! thumbsup.gif

Unless your a Thai teenager I couldn't really see areason to have these on your bike ,I think they look cheap and tacky especially when all over the bodywork,a couple maybe underneath the bike to give a bit of a glow is no to bad but anywhere else a no no imo

The person in question is definitely over 50 years old.

I can't say I have ever heard of anyone getting ticketed over them. besides the bike looking colorful, they offer a great deal of safety for the rider. My bike is very well lit & acts as having side markers similar to the older Caddi's & lincoln cornering lights. When I drive back from Pattaya to Bang Saray the cars stay the fck away from my ER6N & that is what it is designed mainly to do. The only flashing light is the brake light & that has a multicolored display the rest just light the bike up. Before LED's it was neon. I have won over $11,000 in competitions in the U.S. over the years so inso far as gay I wouldn't know about that. Not being able to afford the $350.00 is more a likely scenario. Safety is the main concern with the LED's cause in Thailand who cares about eye candy that much. As for being Gay if Pink floyd tours ever again or Rush starts throwing down some mean light shows I am all over it. I guess I am a toys are us kinda kid that finds no need to grow up & be a grumpy expat cause I am over 50.

I have my bike submitted for 2 shows in the U.S. & will probably pay for not only the lights but up to 100,000 baht in mods. Sometimes in Thailand people find the strangest things to complain about. Back on topic Does anyone know of anyone that has gotten a ticket from Led's. My girlfriend told me the tour & bus companies do have to have a permit to run neons & ather assorted lights.

I guaranty one thing for sure pull up any other black bike & mine will be noticed & that is worth the money spent for safety. And it looks cool to.(providing the whole bike isn't blinking & flashing) that would be a distraction & not a help. I would have my car stereo & amps on the bike but zero room for anything.....That & I might want to hear a crazed tour bus all hopped up on Whatever. By the way Rick it is very normal to see many of the bikes in bike groups up here using Led's. Keeps you alive if you drive at night.

Besides even if the cops are going to pull you over their is a kill switch on the lights.Standard issue with a set or many sets of lights.

And if I was going to use this ride as a cross country touring bike I would add 8-10 more sets of white for the bottom of bike to light it up even further. It is a cheap price to make a dark bike bright & seen. even a drunk could see it. And the bike has a lot of grunt just incase I do find some idiot getting mezmerized by the lights.

Sorry about the low quality pics Wind was up along with a fuji point & shoot. It is no DSLR!

post-32440-0-68653600-1366002029_thumb.j

post-32440-0-43709900-1366002175_thumb.j

Calm yourself just because others have an opinion that is different from yours doesn't mean they can't afford it,each to their if you like them that's fine.To be honest from your pictures I can't even see the bike and for me it's bikes I like to look at not fairy lights.

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

Calm yourself just because others have an opinion that is different from yours doesn't mean they can't afford it,each to their if you like them that's fine.To be honest from your pictures I can't even see the bike and for me it's bikes I like to look at not fairy lights.

Exactly the point a black bike in the darkness you can't see well but the lights even a blind man can see. It must be just the gay thing Rick was commenting about.

I used to have a Yamaha Virago 535 and I put a strip of white leds above the headlight and it could be seen better than the headlight in daytime.

They didn't flash or anything else, came on with the ignition and went off with the ignition.

• Like 1

The Honda CBR has a kinda Y shaped front headlight. The main bulb and 2 little ones in the top corners. I changed the 2 little ones to blue. The BIB stopped me and said it was illegal to have anything other than white light at the front of a vehicle, unless it comes as standard. I didn't have to pay anything, but he said other cops might not be so forgiving.

Putting LED's on a bike is totally gay 1zgarz5.gif

Your probably right. But that's OK as I don't mind gay people. Maybe that's why they like my PCX.....cos I have LEDs. The ladyboy that does my weekly manicure keeps suggesting she would love to go for a ride with me. And the gay guy that does my twice weekly massage thinks it fab! And last week when I parked outside the Pook bar all those pretty tall girls couldn't take their eyes off it until I turned off the lights....then they went back to what they were doing.

So, I think your on to something there. wink.png

• Like 1

You're probably very old.

You're probably very old.

your probably very wrong

dont be so quick to make assumptions Im 40,seems people here think if you dont like something or agree with them you are really old or just cant afford it..........lol

How about i just dont like them. ?..

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I like the visibility factor. I ride a black wave and they are not very visible at night on rural roads. So I will be getting a few leds to light it up

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I've never understood the fascination with LEDs on bikes or any vehicle here, and as for the safety factor, rubbish... It's a big distraction to every other rider / driver, yes the one with the LEDs may be safer but it's more likely to cause a problem than prevent one... I've lost count of the times a truck is coming towards me, flashing lights under the car, strips round the windshield and so on, whether I want to look or not I don't have a choice, not forgetting the mini-vans that sit 1 metre of your rear with blue lights in your mirror, just so you know they are there!

Wear a high visibility reflective jacket if you want safety, thats what they are designed for. LED strips not built for purpose should be for show and show only... or scrapped entirely!

Blade let me be the first to tell you - You are full of shit . Do you even own a bike. My bike stands out because it is well illuminated. It is not a fasion statement but a black bike needs to be well lit. If you don't like them don't use them But if you are bike wanna be kinda guy you can always hook them up to your pansie ass vest LOL! This post is not about if you like Led's or not . It is about if they are legal in Thailand Read the OP's opening post & please keep it on topic not your unusable comments. If you got something pertanent to ad please do. if not open another topic if you like LED's or not.

Edited by Beardog

^

I have something to add: Imo such LED on moving vehicles are forbidden mostly everywhere in the world. Am i allowed to say this?

smile.png

EDIT:

But if you get a ticket in LOS depends on the police officer and maybe the kind of installation you put on your bike, as allways... and maybe you are allwed to install them if you don't turn them on while driving. I guess even most police officers will not know this in detail... as allways...

Edited by wantan

It appears now that motorbikes are indeed invisable in the dark, must be true two people onhere have said it,i never take my bike out in the dark so im not really sure about this,but i thought that big bright light at the front would maje it easy to be seen.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by taninthai

I've never understood the fascination with LEDs on bikes or any vehicle here, and as for the safety factor, rubbish... It's a big distraction to every other rider / driver, yes the one with the LEDs may be safer but it's more likely to cause a problem than prevent one... I've lost count of the times a truck is coming towards me, flashing lights under the car, strips round the windshield and so on, whether I want to look or not I don't have a choice, not forgetting the mini-vans that sit 1 metre of your rear with blue lights in your mirror, just so you know they are there!

Wear a high visibility reflective jacket if you want safety, thats what they are designed for. LED strips not built for purpose should be for show and show only... or scrapped entirely!

Blade let me be the first to tell you - You are full of shit . Do you even own a bike. My bike stands out because it is well illuminated. It is not a fasion statement but a black bike needs to be well lit. If you don't like them don't use them But if you are bike wanna be kinda guy you can always hook them up to your pansie ass vest LOL! This post is not about if you like Led's or not . It is about if they are legal in Thailand Read the OP's opening post & please keep it on topic not your unusable comments. If you got something pertanent to ad please do. if not open another topic if you like LED's or not.

Unfortunately for you, you are the one who is full of shit, you said, and I quote: 'And it looks cool to' directly after your safety speech and claiming above its not a fashion statement haha, so was it safety or cool? Simple fact is they are banned in most countries because they are dangerous, end of.. My post was not directed at you but more that they are dangerous which is completely relevant to the OP, if they are illegal which I don't believe they are here then they should be.

And for your information, I own a Ducati 848 and D-tracker in Thailand, and a Fireblade in the UK, been riding for 20 years since I was 16, does that qualify me for an opinion about LEDs on motorcycles? or do you want to lend me your vest? hahaha

Edited by B1ade