Thai Police Are Seeking A Taxi Driver Who Shot And Wounded A Drunk Passenger

webfact

The question also is, cabbies packing guns is legal, semi-legal, or no one (including police) cares?

If he has a licence.

But then there's probably a regulation that forbids taxi drivers from carrying a gun in the taxi even if licenced, along with the regs that don't allow taxis to have the radio on or to communicate with passengers etc.

Taxi drivers carrying guns. Dear me.

They really need to start being properly regulated and vetted to eliminate some of the many scumbags that seem to choose this occupation.

Note to self: Next time a taxi wants to charge me 1000 baht for 200 baht fare, and he reaches for the glove box, immediately pay him the 1000 baht with a smile.....

That's happened to you, then, has it?

We can't travel on buses, motorcycles and cars are out over Songkran and now the taxi's are rebelling - anyone for a bicycle?

Better idea : Stock up on foods, snacks and beer, and perhaps a few movies, lock all doors, and party in your own living room.

My family do this every year - we make it a special family event at home and keep off the streets.

Will it not be very wet indoors ? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I am beginning to think this crazyness is actually attracting tourists, not scaring them away. Think about it, many of our Western countries have been made so sane and sterile that people are going overseas looking for mad antics. I laugh every day I am in Thailand, and am bored stiff every day I am in Australia.

For a ten-year period starting in 2002, I took a taxi to and from work daily. So I estimate to have made about 6,000 taxi journeys in that period if taking into account non-work related trips. In that time I only ever had three significant problem trips - one, with the driver not opening meter after I repeatedly told him to - I jumped out at traffic lights; secondly, the driver taking me to a different destination (massage parlour instead of home - switched taxis); and thirdly where the guy had no idea where he was going - think he was not Thai). So that's a very low percentage of problems.

However, in the past twelve months I've noticed a real upturn in issues with taxi drivers, they don't stop even though empty, don't want to go to your destination, and don't want to open the meter. I reckon it's now about one in two of taxis where I have these problems. Taxi driver attitudes are hardening and I don't know what is behind it.

Now every time I have to agree with them to open the meter before I get in. Never used to have that.

And another thing, it's best to assume that they are carrying a weapon of some sort, so always best not to get in heated arguments with them.

Oh by the way: before someone else does it....."it can happen anywhere, not only in Thailand and it is their country, so if you don't like, being shot in chest for appearing to be needing to vomit...go home"!

Yeah what's everyone complaining about? Shooting customers is standard practice for all good taxi drivers in the West. Stop picking on Thailand. biggrin.png

For a ten-year period starting in 2002, I took a taxi to and from work daily. So I estimate to have made about 6,000 taxi journeys in that period if taking into account non-work related trips. In that time I only ever had three significant problem trips - one, with the driver not opening meter after I repeatedly told him to - I jumped out at traffic lights; secondly, the driver taking me to a different destination (massage parlour instead of home - switched taxis); and thirdly where the guy had no idea where he was going - think he was not Thai). So that's a very low percentage of problems.

However, in the past twelve months I've noticed a real upturn in issues with taxi drivers, they don't stop even though empty, don't want to go to your destination, and don't want to open the meter. I reckon it's now about one in two of taxis where I have these problems. Taxi driver attitudes are hardening and I don't know what is behind it.

Now every time I have to agree with them to open the meter before I get in. Never used to have that.

And another thing, it's best to assume that they are carrying a weapon of some sort, so always best not to get in heated arguments with them.

I don't know what's behind it either but I suspect that like a lot of jobs your preparedness to put up with sh#t is directly related to how much money you're making and how you're being treated.

After having almost no problems with taxis over the last 8 years, it seems to get worse since a year or so. Refused trips, no meter, or not even stopping. Still, many Thai people ask before entering the cab, means they approve or accept the situation.

I started to take photos before I leave the car, to at leat scare the driver.

Two weeks ago I asked a co-worker to complain about following incident on the complaint hotline:

In the middle of my trip the driver got a phone call and I could understand that it was about picking up a passenger and the price for this trip would be 400 Baht. After finishing we stopped the car and he asked me to get out. "Sorry, accident".

Let's see what happnes with the complain. They promised to call back and let us know the result.

Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath for that. I'm still waiting for a call back three weeks after calling to complain about the situation at Siam Paragon taxi pick up area. There is a security guard on a bull horn asking taxis drivers if they will take passengers to location X or Y. After sitting in the queue for over 30 minutes watching taxis drive off without picking up anyone I asked the guy why he was asking since the law states taxis cannot refuse a fare?? He just waved me off. I wrote an email to the management of Siam Paragon since it does concern their customers and maybe they would be interested to know that their own staff was a part of the problem. I guess they are not interested at all since they have also not replied. Just pathetic really and disappointing to know that a place like Siam Paragon can't even get it's act together to at least write back when a customer has a complaint.

Edited by Tanuki

After having almost no problems with taxis over the last 8 years, it seems to get worse since a year or so. Refused trips, no meter, or not even stopping. Still, many Thai people ask before entering the cab, means they approve or accept the situation.

Two weeks ago I asked a co-worker to complain about following incident on the complaint hotline:

In the middle of my trip the driver got a phone call and I could understand that it was about picking up a passenger and the price for this trip would be 400 Baht. After finishing we stopped the car and he asked me to get out. "Sorry, accident".

Let's see what happnes with the complain. They promised to call back and let us know the result.

Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath for that. I'm still waiting for a call back three weeks after calling to complain about the situation at Siam Paragon taxi pick up area. There is a security guard on a bull horn asking taxis drivers if they will take passengers to location X or Y. After sitting in the queue for over 30 minutes watching taxis drive off without picking up anyone I asked the guy why he was asking since the law states taxis cannot refuse a fare?? He just waved me off. I wrote an email to the management of Siam Paragon since it does concern their customers and maybe they would be interested to know that their own staff was a part of the problem. I guess they are not interested at all since they have also not replied. Just pathetic really and disappointing to know that a place like Siam Paragon can't even get it's act together to at least write back when a customer has a complaint.

Use social media.

It's still better than any place in Mexico, where getting in a taxi runs good odds of being abducted and held for ransom. Probably the safest place in the world to take a taxi is Havana, although it might break down along the way.

Not sure that catching a cab anywhere near a skytrain or MRT station is a good idea anymore. Although I generally drive and thus rarely catch cabs, the last couple of times I did I was told to "ride the skytrain". Fair enough I guess...but it wasn't that long ago that potential passengers, foreigners in particular, were honked at for a ride. Now Bangkok is starting to become a bit like China - where you are never hassled by taxi drivers and you literally have to force your driver to take you. Edited by Tomtomtom69

For years I've always preferred to battle the insane Bangkok traffic by being behind the wheel myself and that has always worked for me - though spending 30 minutes inside a car park at work trying to find a space, forcing you to arrive late is a pretty frustrating experience in itself. However, your gradually worsening experiences with cabs tells me I should continue being behind the wheel myself - I always know how much I pay for fuel, I won't get ripped off and I am used to the traffic so it's OK. The only other transport I might occasionally take would be the skytrain or MRT as you can't get ripped off or threatened there. Edited by Tomtomtom69

My step son ( 10 years old ) has a problem with car sickness even on short distances and so we have to travell everywhere with a plastic bag but i notice that on several occaisons when he has vomited into a bag the driver gets angry and starts driving eratically which then makes him throw up again and again . Wish i could understand the driver's logic !!!!! sick.gif

Edited by xen

We can't travel on buses, motorcycles and cars are out over Songkran and now the taxi's are rebelling - anyone for a bicycle?

A bicycle is definitely no-go for Songkran, unless you want to be assaulted non-stop by revelers.

I get a chuckle when I read in Lonely Planet and other tourist guides, about 'how calm Thai people are' and how they 'disdain showing anger.' What a load of kaka.

There are bad apples in every society. Including the society in your country.